Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Our D-options on the pp look atrocious after Suter and Spurgeon.
Brodin played there last year and Reilly is PPQB. I wouldn't say 'atrocious'. And if Spurgeon and Suter are split onto different units, it's not much of an issue anyways.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:30 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Brodin played there last year and Reilly is PPQB. I wouldn't say 'atrocious'. And if Spurgeon and Suter are split onto different units, it's not much of an issue anyways.
Brodin was so out of place there last year it was sickening. I remember most of us begging to have Brodin taken off the pp.

Reilly has potential there, but we have yet to see it.

Also, with Suter's preference for playing with a RHD, Suter and Spurgeon can't be split up.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Brodin was so out of place there last year it was sickening. I remember most of us begging to have Brodin taken off the pp.

That seems like an exaggeration.

The PP is basically 85% of Reilly's game. We haven't seen it because the spots weren't open, except when he first started seeing NHL time.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:35 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
That seems like an exaggeration.

The PP is basically 85% of Reilly's game. We haven't seen it because the spots weren't open, except when he first started seeing NHL time.
Not at all, he was a big liability there!

Old
06-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Not at all, he was a big liability there!
A liability in what way? He doesn't strike as guy that would take chances and give up shorthanded chances. Are you talking about just the non-factor of an offensive threat?

Old
06-19-2017, 03:44 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
A liability in what way? He doesn't strike as guy that would take chances and give up shorthanded chances. Are you talking about just the non-factor of an offensive threat?
He struggled holding the zone and did next to nothing in helping create a shot.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:48 PM
57special

vCash: 50
Quote:
Our D-options on the pp look atrocious after Suter and Spurgeon.
Disagree completely. Scandella has a hard shot. Brodin was OK, Reilly is talented. "Atrocious" it is not. Not even close. Especially for a second unit.

06-19-2017, 03:49 PM
57special

vCash: 50
Quote:

Also, with Suter's preference for playing with a RHD, Suter and Spurgeon can't be split up.
Wow, look who's biased now. "Sickening"? Bizarre commentary.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:49 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
Disagree completely. Scandella has a hard shot. Brodin was OK, Reilly is talented. "Atrocious" it is not. Not even close. Especially for a second unit.
In the discussed scenario, Scandella isn't here.

I'd be fine if Reilly was the only question and he was paired with Scandella on the pp.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:51 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
Wow, look who's biased now. "Sickening"? Bizarre commentary.
Yes sickening. If most everyone is begging to have him removed from the pp, it's an apt description.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

They can on the PP, because there isn't really a LD/RD thing. Suter is going to play at the top of the umbrella, no matter who else is on the ice.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
They can on the PP, because there isn't really a LD/RD thing. Suter is going to play at the top of the umbrella, no matter who else is on the ice.
Is that why he only played with Spurgeon or Dumba last year on the pp?

Pretty sure it still matters to him.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Is that why he only played with Spurgeon or Dumba last year on the pp?

Pretty sure it still matters to him.
As opposed to who? Who else is going to play the "triggerman" on that side? Those two were the two best options for that spot.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:05 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I mean, you yourself mentioned you couldn't decide if that defense would be a disaster... yet I mention one aspect that I thought looks terrible and you go ultra defensive about it.

I dislike the scenario you yourself said could be a disaster. Why is that so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazeek View Post
I think if we lose two defenders it's highly likely we sign someone in free agency. No one expensive, but Fletcher and Boudreau both seem to want more size back there.
Agreed, in that scenario a UFA would be expected IMO.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Podgornik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I think we could live with this. It isn't like it not that long ago we were giving those minutes to young players named Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, and Dumba. But depth would be very shallow if there were any injuries. Not much in Iowa.

Based on rumors, Montreal might be interested in Scandella+Pominville as a basis for Galchenyuk if the Wild were interested in throwing in legit asset like Tuch. We would then have to get a free agent depth Dman.
I would absolutely do Scandella+Pominville+Tuch for Galchenyuk. I would then sign Kulikov to a 1 yr buffer deal.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I mean, you yourself mentioned you couldn't decide if that defense would be a disaster... yet I mention one aspect that I thought looks terrible and you go ultra defensive about it.

I dislike the scenario you yourself said could be a disaster. Why is that so bad?
I'm not defensive. I just disagree that a) Brodin was a "sickening liability" on the PP (I don't ever remember feeling strongly about it either way) and that b) Suter and Spurgeon can't play on two different PP units (the way that the PP was set up to run through Granny on the halfwall, it required a good RD on the other side, to which Spurgeon or Dumba were the best options, not really having to do with Suter's personal preferences).

I thought we were having fairly reasonable and level-headed discussion on the matter.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:15 PM
StateofCelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgornik View Post
I would absolutely do Scandella+Pominville+Tuch for Galchenyuk. I would then sign Kulikov to a 1 yr buffer deal.
That is an unreal haul for the Habs. Giving up on someone who could potentially do the same thing as Galchenyuk, as a plus is ridiculous. You have only seen him play 6 games!

Old
06-19-2017, 04:19 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I'm not defensive. I just disagree that a) Brodin was a "sickening liability" on the PP (I don't ever remember feeling strongly about it either way) and that b) Suter and Spurgeon can't play on two different PP units (the way that the PP was set up to run through Granny on the halfwall, it required a good RD on the other side, to which Spurgeon or Dumba were the best options, not really having to do with Suter's personal preferences).

I thought we were having fairly reasonable and level-headed discussion on the matter.
I remember everyone complaining in the gdts repeatedly every time Brodin was on the pp.

As I said, the description seems apt to me in that situation.

As for Suter and Spurgeon, none of us have ever understood how he feels about it, so I don't see how this is any different is all. It's what he wants.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgornik View Post
I think the Tuch add is a little much. Not sure if Kulikov is the right ufa target, but who knows?

Old
06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I remember everyone complaining in the gdts repeatedly every time Brodin was on the pp.

As I said, the description seems apt to me in that situation.

As for Suter and Spurgeon, none of us have ever understood how he feels about it, so I don't see how this is any different is all. It's what he wants.
The difference is the mechanics and design of the PP. Suter is at the top of the umbrella, Granlund is on the halfwall, Koivu down low. The correct type of player for the other side is a right-handed shot, so that the one-timer is in play for passes from each of the 3 positions on the other side. That's why Dumba, Spurgeon and Pominville are on that side all of the time, and not Scandella or another lefty, because that would take the one-timer threat pretty much completely away.

The Suter/Spurgeon thing was mainly an even strength neutral zone/transition/outlet passing type thing.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
The difference is the mechanics and design of the PP. Suter is at the top of the umbrella, Granlund is on the halfwall, Koivu down low. The correct type of player for the other side is a right-handed shot, so that the one-timer is in play for passes from each of the 3 positions on the other side. That's why Dumba, Spurgeon and Pominville are on that side all of the time, and not Scandella or another lefty, because that would take the one-timer threat pretty much completely away.

The Suter/Spurgeon thing was mainly an even strength neutral zone/transition/outlet passing type thing.
I just don't see Suter wanting to split is all. Until I see otherwise. I'm done trying to predict his reasoning on such things. He wants what he wants.

I see YOUR reasoning just fine... I just am not sure of Suter's.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Digitalbooya
Osiecki death stare

vCash: 966
I think Brodin and Reilly would be fine on the 2nd pp unit. If you are looking for a right handed guy with a cannon of a shot, well there is that former Wescansin Badger... He's money from there. Just sayin'.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:31 PM
123TripleDoge

we're really implying suter was calling the shots on his pp partner to BB and Scott Stevens? The PP units were chosen based on the personal and the position, nothing to do with suter

Old
06-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Podgornik

Quote:
I think the Tuch add is a little much. Not sure if Kulikov is the right ufa target, but who knows?
Could attempt to go after Brendan Smith if you clear that much cap.

Old
06-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Wabit

I'm really not seeing why Brodin is getting hated on for the PP. Yet Spurgeon is considered good.

Spurgeon compared to Brodin stats wise:
-Brodin: 111 ToI, 2g, 5a, 8.1 GF/60, 1.7 CF% rel, 15 PGF
-Spurgeon: 177 ToI, 1g, 4a, 6.8 GF/60, -2.2 CF5 rel, 20 PGF

So in 66 more PP mins Sprugeon had 1 less goal, 1 less assist, 1.3 less G/F 60, 3.9 lower CF% rel, and was on the ice for 5 more PP goals.

Suter is the d-man that annoyed me the most, he slowed everything down it made it easy to defend. Suter's play is part of the reason for Spurgeon's depressed stats imo. Spurgeon is better than his season stats, but last year Brodin was the better option (according to the stats) on the PP.

All the d-men (Pommer included) had pucks hop over their sticks, misplays, bad pinches, etc. I can't say that one was any worse at holding the line, I remember bad plays from all of the d-men.

Closed Thread