HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason: III (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 03:15 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
Other than mocking posters for liking him can you give a clear reason as to why he would be so bad? He was putting up near a PPG before he got hurt this year.
RDC listed 3 things... bad on FO's, bad defensively, coaches (multiple coaches) didn't trust him. He's bang on. Points aren't everything, look at Eberle.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:26 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Flames fan here. What would it realistically cost to get Strome given the cap issues?
Honestly he's worth a mid/high 2nd round pick for a new team to take a chance on his upside and hope he responds to a new coach/team/system.

That said, unless a team offers more or we can package him for a real impact player, Isles might as well keep him and see if he plays better under the new coaching staff.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:29 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I offered Galchenyuk for CDH, Beauvillier and your 2017 2nd on the main board.

Some Isles fans agreed to the trade, by downgrading Beau to Strome.
Not even going to argue the fairness of that offer, but rather say that Beauvillier is basically untouchable to me. I personally think his value right now is the lowest it's going to be over the next 5 years. The goal of every team should get those "relentless motor guys" as those are who you want in the playoffs. Plus Beauvillier has deceptive offensive skills and plays D. A year under a better coaching staff will do him well.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
In fairness, he's played for two of more strict, "defense first" guys in the league in Therrien and Julien. Julien kind of have the same lack of trust thing in Seguin when he was in Boston. I think Galchenyuk could flourish on a team where the coaching staff gives a bit more leeway to be offensively creative.
I get ya. But, color me skeptical that you're gonna get a player that's going to flourish to an extent to where his offense outweighs his deficiencies like they do with Seguin. With Seguin, you probably think, "Yeah, the coach could have done something here", whereas with Galchenyuk I'm thinking "Eh..."

Old
06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
periferal

Quote:
In fairness, he's played for two of more strict, "defense first" guys in the league in Therrien and Julien. Julien kind of have the same lack of trust thing in Seguin when he was in Boston. I think Galchenyuk could flourish on a team where the coaching staff gives a bit more leeway to be offensively creative.

The irony is when Galchenyuk was drafted, he was projected to be a good two-way player (Hossa was mentioned as a comparable). Not sure what happened to his defensive game once he got to the NHL.
I don't know. Can you really blame his seemingly lackluster play on the "system?" Much like a Brock Nelson or a Kyle Okposo Galchenyuk has stretches where he disappears. For a guy who's supposed to be a dynamic offensive talent you would think you'd "see" more of him in any system. I just wonder if there's a bit of an effort and/or hockey smarts thing going on.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I get ya. But, color me skeptical that you're gonna get a player that's going to flourish to an extent to where his offense outweighs his deficiencies like they do with Seguin. With Seguin, you probably think, "Yeah, the coach could have done something here", whereas with Galchenyuk I'm thinking "Eh..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I don't know. Can you really blame his seemingly lackluster play on the "system?" Much like a Brock Nelson or a Kyle Okposo Galchenyuk has stretches where he disappears. For a guy who's supposed to be a dynamic offensive talent you would think you'd "see" more of him in any system. I just wonder if there's a bit of an effort and/or hockey smarts thing going on.
Galchenyuk's also only 22 years old. He's inconsistent, but most 22 year olds are. I also think the Canadiens' lack of offensive depth hurts him. He's still too inconsistent to be the 1C, going head to head against the best from the other team. But the problem is if he's not on the first line with Pacioretty or Radulov, he's got very little to work with offensively after that.

So, IMO, it was a bit of a catch-22 he found himself in. Still too green defensively to be 1C, which hurt his defense when he was on that line but his offense was good. Fine defensively when he was anywhere but the top line, but had nothing to work with but still felt the pressure of producing because the 1C who replaced him sucked, so his offensive totals suffered away from the top line.

If he's on a team where he can either be slotted onto the wing on the top line (not a luxury he had in Montreal) or at 2C with a better 1C ahead of him to take some of the pressure off him, he'll be fine.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:08 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
RDC listed 3 things... bad on FO's, bad defensively, coaches (multiple coaches) didn't trust him. He's bang on. Points aren't everything, look at Eberle.
But we want to go after Duchene who MAY have lost a step? He's 23 years old and has the scoring part down, wouldn't you rather have that then have a 23 year old who has the faceoff portion and defensive portion down like a Cizikas?

The two coaches Montreal had this season may have not known how to use him correctly. Have they really showed patience with younger players? Subban was shipped out of town because of his personality and Julien found a reason to ship Seguin out of town. Sometimes a player just needs the right coach and those coaches were not it.

He's 23 years old, why would anyone expect him to have all this stuff down pat? I would be excited for Duchene, but Gally would probably be my #2 guy. Any top six forward you make a trade for is going to have flaws. I need Galchenyuk to score for now, we can work on the defense. What did the greatest coach of all time say about Bossy? We can work on those things, but get me a guy who can be a gamechanger and put the puck in the net. We have enough bottom six guys who can play defense well.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:19 PM
cjdv16

Of all the rumored players that are realistically available or that Snow is to believe to have shown interest in, the only one that gets me excited is Matt Duchene.

He's still very young, lightning quick, and I personally believe he's simply been beaten down in Colorado. This is a kid who was the 3rd overall pick. In his first year in the NHL was right there with JT in scoring. Won a gold medal with Team Canada in the last Olympics.

This guy has "change of scenery" written all over him. I believe there's a connection between he and JT (not on the level of Sam Gagner), but there's been reports.

Duchene is versatile. Can score, kill penalties, play center or wing.

This is the guy that you take a chance on. He's got the tools, the history, and age on his side. You certainly don't overpay, but you take a swing on him.

This compared to guys like James Neal / Bobby Ryan (not the best hockey IQs or track record), Jordan Eberle (tremendously overrated), or Galchenyuk (has provided nothing).

I wouldn't waste my time with these other guys, even as a plan B.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:23 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Of all the rumored players that are realistically available or that Snow is to believe to have shown interest in, the only one that gets me excited is Matt Duchene.

He's still very young, lightning quick, ...
As much as I am all for Duchene, word on the street is he isn't as quick as you think. He lost a step or two after the injury.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't think Galchenyuk is that good? Bad at faceoffs, not good defensively, and his coach(es) don't seem to trust him.
Add me to the pile. Why we would be looking at him for anything... I have no idea. Our forwards need help defensively. Chucky is a step in the wrong direction on that, points or not.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:37 PM
periferal

I don't need Dreger to tell me this, but...

Old
06-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3

Quote:

Jordan Eberle confirmed!

Old
06-19-2017, 04:43 PM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

Quote:
Jordan Eberle confirmed!
I'm getting nausea just thinking about Eberle being the only addition.

06-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Dipietro39

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post

If Isles are adding a good forward, they are trading a defensmen. If they are trading a defensmen, I don't see how CDH is picked by Begas as if Hamonic is traded, we have no defense.

1st round pick must be to take Hickey, and the Isles are dealing CDH/Hamonic for Galchenyuk, Duchene or god forbid Eberle.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

I'm getting sick of Dreger, he has like zero connection to the Isles yet feels the need to comment on us as if he has a clue.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:51 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 276
Quote:

Something has to be up. There's no way Snow is dumb enough to do what I fear.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Just don't let that good for nothin' Ray Manzarek put keyboards on it.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:15 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
Something has to be up. There's no way Snow is dumb enough to do what I fear.
Wear a white tux to a wedding?

Old
06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

Quote:

Dreger only knows what the whiskey bottle tells him. What was the last thing he got right?

Old
06-19-2017, 05:17 PM
IslandersFan17

Dredger hasnt been right yet for the most part when it comes to us.

To me, he knows the fan base is on edge waiting for something. Hanging on every last word.

In turn he keeps throwing out this speculation knowing we keep clicking away.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Flair91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Wear a white tux to a wedding?
Sing Rick Astley karaoke at said wedding?

Old
06-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Jester9881
FIRE SNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Beyond that...

If he's so great, why are the Habs trying to trade him? Especially when they need centers? Don't you think they would be trying to keep the young ppg centerman and trying to add to him?

Old
06-19-2017, 05:23 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Dredger hasnt been right yet for the most part when it comes to us.

To me, he knows the fan base is on edge waiting for something. Hanging on every last word.

In turn he keeps throwing out this speculation knowing we keep clicking away.
The Isles are so tight lipped, no one is a real source. Staple seems more like a mouthpiece more and more, but he's the best we have.

The Canadian media (especially Edmonton) obsess and obsess about the Isles. It's both amusing and pathetic. Since nothing comes out of us, these clowns go on and on and on with no reprisal. It's also sad that so much of the fan base is gullible AF so these idiots buy it hook, line, and sinker.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:30 PM
majormet

What if the Isles were in on this guy

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...-alex-ovechkin

Old
06-19-2017, 05:31 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Beyond that...

If he's so great, why are the Habs trying to trade him? Especially when they need centers? Don't you think they would be trying to keep the young ppg centerman and trying to add to him?
It's the same old, tired BS. We get the used car salesman routine about how great they are and how valuable they are. If they are so great, why aren't you keeping him? Duh. All the while devaluing everyone else's assets. Then they get offended others don't look at their players through rose colored glasses.

The funny thing I find about us is that so many of us immediately devalue our assets, like we're the bizzarro Canadian team who underhype our assets.

Closed Thread