HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades, Rumours, Expansion and Free Agency? VGK Trade Zone

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 03:36 PM
TheCLAM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs have a ridiculous amount of dead cap space..

Injured: Horton and Lupul combined = $10.5 mil
Buyout: Gleason & Cowan = ~$ 2 mil
Bonues: Rookie performance = $4,675,000
Retained: Kessel $1.2 mil

Your looking and nearly $18.5 mil in total dead cap.
LTIR man learn the rules

Rookie performance isn't really dead-space when the rookies put up 60 p a year

Old
06-19-2017, 03:38 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

For the point of discussion:

2017 3rd round pick (CGY)

Joffrey Lupul
Brendan Leipsic

Who adds? Obviously Leipsic is worth more than a 3rd in this case, which I would say is reasonable.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
biotk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
This is brutal for Anaheim though. If they're losing a 1st and a young prospect it's so they can protect Manson, not lose him.
This works out to the exact same thing as them protecting Vatanen and Manson in the ED for a 1st and a young prospect and then trading Manson for Brown and Rychel afterward.

The same trade would be difficult before the ED as Anaheim would either need to buy out Bieska's contract to protect Vatanen and then have two of their current protected forwards exposed (because as per the rules Brown and Rychel would need to protected if they are involved in a trade) and therefore it would still cost them to not have desired players taken while losing Bieska. Or pay to have LV not take unprotected Vatanen and two currently protected forwards.

It is predicated on the idea that Anaheim would trade Manson for Brown and Rychel. Would they be willing to that? Beats me. Anaheim needs room for their upcoming D prospects and they need a little more talent up front for Cup runs over the next couple years. I know that most Ducks fans would prefer that they trade Vatanen, but I think that Vatanen's trade value at this time is considerably lower than the Ducks feel he is worth. He is not only coming off his worst year, but he is injured and almost 5 million a year for 3 years before becoming a UFA. Most teams that would want him are teams that are bubble teams and with him out for the first 2 months of the season, trading a current asset for him would likely put the team at such a disadvantage for the first two months of the season that they would be more likely to miss the playoffs. The Ducks have great defensive depth and can easily absorb his injury. Manson is a great D who is worth something right now and who will command a pretty solid contract in a year (but still be an RFA).

Old
06-19-2017, 03:44 PM
thewave
EATING CROW!

Out: Bozak JVR
In: 3-4D 5m range

Shore up that D a little and then evaluate the next batch of kids. Kappy, Leivo, Rychel or Leipsic (The little big 3) and Dermott and Valiev + The imports need tried out.

I would call this an experimental year of sorts.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLAM View Post
LTIR man learn the rules

Rookie performance isn't really dead-space when the rookies put up 60 p a year
You should learn how LTIR works.

As long as Lupul and Horton are on our roster we're dealing with $10.55 mil less in cap space until the first day of the season.

That is inconvenient when you're trying to shop for big additions who might make big salary and are available for about the next 3 weeks or so.

And it IS dead cap space because it is. It's paying for last years performance. So this year its dead. Word it how you like but it doesn't change the reality.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post

Joffrey Lupul
Brendan Leipsic

Who adds? Obviously Leipsic is worth more than a 3rd in this case, which I would say is reasonable.
I'd do this in a second.

We're losing 2 3rds for Babs/Lou. This cuts down on 2 contracts, helps lessen the body count on the wing, and gives us $5.25 in cap space while replacing one of those picks.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave View Post
Out: Bozak JVR
In: 3-4D 5m range

Shore up that D a little and then evaluate the next batch of kids. Kappy, Leivo, Rychel or Leipsic (The little big 3) and Dermott and Valiev + The imports need tried out.

I would call this an experimental year of sorts.
I've been thinking since Xmas or so that JVR is the likely cap hit to leave to free up some money for the blueline.

Bozak has become valuable in his role but we have many wingers. Not as easy to find a dependable center.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:50 PM
biotk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy7 View Post
who is MV?

A lot of duck fans, maybe even all of them are happy to lose vatanen but insist they cant afford to lose Manson. He is far too valuable to them, They have a replacement for Vatanen in Montour they have no stay at home top4 dman to replace Manson. Rychel, brown and picks likely doesn't get you Manson
Manson and Vatanen.

Doesn't matter what fans think. I think that fans feel that Vatanen is worth far more in a trade than he is currently worth. Rychel and Brown might not get Manson. Beats me. But I wouldn't trade Brown alone for Vatanen who is coming off his worst season, injured for the first two months of the season, likely not 100% for the whole season, costs $5 million a year for the next 3 years and is then a UFA and really doesn't fix the holes Toronto has in their D. I think that Ducks shopped Vatanen and found that other teams were not interested in giving up much for him.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:51 PM
WilliamNylander
Elite Drive Train

vCash: 523
Here is my hot take of the day:

Leafs should go after Shane Doan in FA. 1 year deal.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:55 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post

not a fan of this idea, Shane's seen better days, and better options for adding a seasoned vet if that's the direction mgmt is going imo.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
WilliamNylander
Elite Drive Train

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
not a fan of this idea, Shane's seen better days, and better options for adding a seasoned vet if that's the direction mgmt is going imo.
Experienced vet, has size and can throw the body around, good possession player. He would be an upgrade on our 4th line.

I can see him doing a 1X1 deal with an eastern conference team and taking one last run at a cup. Maybe PIT. Only question is whether its worth it for him, at 40, to take a 4th line role playing 8-10mins/night.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:00 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
You should learn how LTIR works.

As long as Lupul and Horton are on our roster we're dealing with $10.55 mil less in cap space until the first day of the season.

That is inconvenient when you're trying to shop for big additions who might make big salary and are available for about the next 3 weeks or so.

And it IS dead cap space because it is. It's paying for last years performance. So this year its dead. Word it how you like but it doesn't change the reality.
You can go over the cap in the off-season bud - the base salary is way under.. Matthews/Nylander/Marner are still underpaid, don't see it as dead..

Old
06-19-2017, 04:03 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
You can go over the cap in the off-season bud - the base salary is way under.. Matthews/Nylander/Marner are still underpaid, don't see it as dead..
Also we have no bonus overages for last year. The bonuses Mess listed are potential bonuses that would have to be paid this year, and any overages would be dead cap next year. So technically, not dead cap yet, if at all.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:04 PM
biotk

Quote:
Vegas makes out like bandits.
Vegas is no better off than the rumors of the deals that have been made so far. Toronto giving up a pick to have LV take Fehr instead of a tradable prospect like Rychel. Anaheim giving up a prospect and a pick to steer LV away from taking the players they don't want to lose such as Manson and Vatanen.

Quote:
Manson is not worth 2 1sts, a young prospect, another ANA player and Fehr.
Manson is worth Brown and Rychel in this scenario. Both teams have to lose a player to LV for free regardless.

Quote:
Toronto is not going to trade Brown and a 1st for Manson, or else they probably would have done it already.
Doing the trade before has difficulties. If Toronto was to trade Brown and Rychel for Manson before or Brown and a first for Manson before, they can no longer protect Carrick, and Anaheim still has their situation of either exposing Vatanen or buying out Bieksa's contract to protect Vatanen, plus in either case now having to expose either one or two of their currently protected forwards (as Brown and Rychel would have to be protected as per the rules).

Quote:
Anaheim is not going to give up that much for Rychel and Brown either.
Anaheim is giving up exactly what they are rumoured to be giving up to not lose their currently unprotected assets to LV and then trading the equivalent of Manson for Brown and Rychel. It would all hang on whether Anaheim would be willing to trade Manson for Brown and Rychel.

Last edited by biotk; 06-19-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Old
06-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
Quote:

Joffrey Lupul
Brendan Leipsic

Done. If Leipsic isn't taken in the expansion draft, it's possible he's lot on waivers anyway.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:27 PM
howehullorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver91 View Post

As for trades, I don't think it'll be all that worth it to go after guys who are available. The ones we would like, we would have to outbid their original team, as well as anyone else that would want to bring them in. And the ones that would be easier to acquire, well...

Personally, I don't know that we'll see any trades from the Leafs.
Been thinking the same thing for the last 3 or 4 months.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:32 PM
howehullorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs have a ridiculous amount of dead cap space..

Injured: Horton and Lupul combined = $10.5 mil
Buyout: Gleason & Cowan = ~$ 2 mil
Bonues: Rookie performance = $4,675,000
Retained: Kessel $1.2 mil

Your looking and nearly $18.5 mil in total dead cap.
Quote:
LTIR man learn the rules
IIRC, I think it counts in the summer although a team is allowed to go over by 10%.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:44 PM
supermann_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Screw this guy trying to bully teams into giving up assets to keep their rosters together and such.

He's getting VERY greedy if you ask me, especially when you consider how previous expansion teams had a selection of misfits and losers to choose from and VGK could theoretically put together a playoff caliber team if he was so inclined.

I hope this team crashes and burns the way Ottawa and Tampa did for their first 5-6 seasons. Bettman knows that won't sell in a market with as many entertainment options as Vegas has so he gives them all these new expansion perks never afforded in the past.

What are the chances Quebec City would get the same treatment if they were awarded an expansion franchise? Slim to none, and Slim just left town

Old
06-19-2017, 04:45 PM
howehullorr

Quote:
I'm reading the Vegas Auction thread... Man all of the Leafs bids are bad... I would not do any of them if I were the Leafs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy7 View Post
oh man, 17+Nielsen+Grundstrom for Dumba is atrocious so bad I cant see how a leaf fan made it. It has to of been a fan of another team
There are other variations of atrocious ...... a lot of fellow nation members think that a one year JVR will get us that prized good, young top-4 dman, or maybe JVR plus a 2nd.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:47 PM
OVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamNylander View Post

IF Shane Doan decides to play, he's gonna go to a cup contender to potentially win the cup next year. DOnt see him signing with the leafs.

Pittsburgh/Chicago/Washington/Anaheim are my choices

Old
06-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermann_98 View Post
Screw this guy trying to bully teams into giving up assets to keep their rosters together and such.

He's getting VERY greedy if you ask me, especially when you consider how previous expansion teams had a selection of misfits and losers to choose from and VGK could theoretically put together a playoff caliber team if he was so inclined.

I hope this team crashes and burns the way Ottawa and Tampa did for their first 5-6 seasons. Bettman knows that won't sell in a market with as many entertainment options as Vegas has so he gives them all these new expansion perks never afforded in the past.

What are the chances Quebec City would get the same treatment if they were awarded an expansion franchise? Slim to none, and Slim just left town
Why are you so mad??

This is a great opportunity for Toronto to capitalize on bargain price players and at the very least, LVGK can cripple a team in our conference.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:48 PM
howehullorr

Quote:

He's getting VERY greedy if you ask me, especially when you consider how previous expansion teams had a selection of misfits and losers to choose from
LOL. If this were Lou and the Leafs were the expansion team we would be applauding him for doing a good job.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:53 PM
biotk

Quote:

Screw this guy for doing his job? Doesn't matter if previous expansion teams received a worse deal. This is the situation Vegas has been given, and their GM should be doing everything possible to get Vegas the most for the least.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Nithoniniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by howehullorr View Post
LOL. If this were Lou and the Leafs were the expansion team we would be applauding him for doing a good job.
Yeah, that post was odd. He's just doing his job, it would be negligence to just sit on his hands and let a crucial opportunity to get Vegas off on the right foot pass him by.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

Yes screw that guy for trying to have a competitive team and stock piling assets at the same. What a horrible greedy person.....

Closed Thread