Notices

Happy Father's Day

Old
06-18-2017, 07:37 AM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

vCash: 500
Happy Father's Day

Happiest of Father's Days to all the great dads on the Bruins' HF Boards!

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:37 AM
ODAAT

Indeed,

It`s been just over 2 years since Dad passed and for as strained as our relationship was for a long time, we mended fences (more mending on my end than his required) and once I started to straighten out my life, I became a better son and one who learned to appreciate my dad for who he was, not what I thought he should be and we got along well. I still miss him, a man of few words but at the very least, I got to speak to him every Sunday and I miss it.

This is a bitter sweet day thus far, much can change but I haven`t spoken to my son since just prior to XMas, many of the things I struggled with, he has, and he moved here with me and Mrs. Odaat with the hopes of introducing him to a way of life that was healthier. He was doing well for almost a year, clean and sober, then he felt he was ready to be independent, moved back to Ottawa, rented a joint with a few buddies, his mother has next to no communication with him as his phone is cut off and the patters we both see are one`s I`m very familiar with when it comes to those struggling with addiction.

We worry about him constantly, we`ve tried to contact him via email but nothing in return. I can`t chase him, just show up on his door, he`ll get resentful, he`ll come back when he`s ready, I just hope it`s not too late.

I`m not a religious fella, but I pray every day for his safety and hang on for the hope he makes it back to all of us.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Indeed,

It`s been just over 2 years since Dad passed and for as strained as our relationship was for a long time, we mended fences (more mending on my end than his required) and once I started to straighten out my life, I became a better son and one who learned to appreciate my dad for who he was, not what I thought he should be and we got along well. I still miss him, a man of few words but at the very least, I got to speak to him every Sunday and I miss it.

This is a bitter sweet day thus far, much can change but I haven`t spoken to my son since just prior to XMas, many of the things I struggled with, he has, and he moved here with me and Mrs. Odaat with the hopes of introducing him to a way of life that was healthier. He was doing well for almost a year, clean and sober, then he felt he was ready to be independent, moved back to Ottawa, rented a joint with a few buddies, his mother has next to no communication with him as his phone is cut off and the patters we both see are one`s I`m very familiar with when it comes to those struggling with addiction.

We worry about him constantly, we`ve tried to contact him via email but nothing in return. I can`t chase him, just show up on his door, he`ll get resentful, he`ll come back when he`s ready, I just hope it`s not too late.

I`m not a religious fella, but I pray every day for his safety and hang on for the hope he makes it back to all of us.

Best of luck with your son Andrew.

My Dad has been gone since 2003.

Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads !

06-18-2017, 03:31 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

First Father's Day without my Dad. Losing him hurts more now than it did when he passed.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 04:40 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
First Father's Day without my Dad. Losing him hurts more now than it did when he passed.
I`m with you, hope your doing ok today.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Quote:
I am sending you both a hug.

It is a tough day for those of us that have lost our Dads.

Ladyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:23 PM
chizzler

I hope you hear from your son.

Last edited by chizzler: 06-18-2017 at 10:46 PM.
chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 08:14 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I am sending you both a hug.

It is a tough day for those of us that have lost our Dads.
Thanks guys!

Old
06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Strafer

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that your dad did pass. I remember reading a post where you mentioned that he was stage 4? I didn't see any more about it until now. All I can say is that it will get better but it takes time to be emotionally more settled with the whole loss. Just know that he IS with you. When and if you talk to him he will hear you. I know this by personal experience. Watch for signs, there will be signs. His love for you is eternal and that will never change.

Quote:
I'm with you, hope your doing ok today.
Me and my father had a very similar relationship. After 18+ years I've come to terms with it. I've learned a lot since then and learned more about my dad than I ever really understood until now. Even though he's passed, your understanding of him will increase.
It's a shame about your son. I've seen other kids that I knew who came from great homes go down the wrong path. We all have free will and unfortunately for whatever reason people obviously sometimes take the wrong one. Hopefully, living such a hard existence will make something him "snap-to" and realize, wake up and understand that his parents want nothing more that the absolute best in life for him.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:55 PM
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.

My sister, me, and Dad. '66 or '67 on Carew St. in Springfield. He was stationed at Westover.

He passed in 2012. Happy Father's Day.

iRONic™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:26 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that your dad did pass. I remember reading a post where you mentioned that he was stage 4? I didn't see any more about it until now. All I can say is that it will get better but it takes time to be emotionally more settled with the whole loss. Just know that he IS with you. When and if you talk to him he will hear you. I know this by personal experience. Watch for signs, there will be signs. His love for you is eternal and that will never change.

Me and my father had a very similar relationship. After 18+ years I've come to terms with it. I've learned a lot since then and learned more about my dad than I ever really understood until now. Even though he's passed, your understanding of him will increase.
It's a shame about your son. I've seen other kids that I knew who came from great homes go down the wrong path. We all have free will and unfortunately for whatever reason people obviously sometimes take the wrong one. Hopefully, living such a hard existence will make something him "snap-to" and realize, wake up and understand that his parents want nothing more that the absolute best in life for him.
Thank you Strafer.

Dad passed last November after a brief battle with lung cancer & pneumonia 8 years after being diagnosed with COPD. At the time I was so numb from watching him struggle with failing health for 3 years it really didn't hit me when he finally did go. It wasn't til this past spring that I started to feel the impact of his passing. Thank you again for your kind words I appreciate them very much.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONic™ View Post

My sister, me, and Dad. '66 or '67 on Carew St. in Springfield. He was stationed at Westover.

Nice to see you posting !

Ladyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONic™ View Post

waves*

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Thank you Strafer.

Dad passed last November after a brief battle with lung cancer & pneumonia 8 years after being diagnosed with COPD. At the time I was so numb from watching him struggle with failing health for 3 years it really didn't hit me when he finally did go. It wasn't til this past spring that I started to feel the impact of his passing. Thank you again for your kind words I appreciate them very much.
My mother and I were that close (as you and your dad seem to have been). I know 1000% what you mean by being numb. I think that when you're that close to a parent you just don't get it at first when they pass. Every so often I actually have gone to pick up the phone to talk to her, or in the morning when I first wake up I think about telling her something etc and then realize that it's been 21 years since that terrible phone call in February of '96. I don't know if a day has gone by that I haven't thought about her.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 12:21 PM
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Nice to see you posting !
Nice to be seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
waves*
Congratulations!

iRONic™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 05:49 PM
RustyBruins72

To those who have lost their dad's recently or for a while, I always make sure and go over and see my dad and give him a hug. Because I can. Lots can't. I always think of that when I give him a hug. Every time.

To the new dad's, happy fathers day. Your kids are the greatest gift you'll ever receive.

I know mine are.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote