HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the Preds defenseman

Old
03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
KingsFan323

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think if we're trading Suter it has to be for a offensive player of equal value not a bunch of prospects and a pick....
No because you guys have Franson stepping in next year and Suter is too much to pay so this trade will be good for you guys as you don't have any offensive prospects. Moller would be top prospect for you guys right away what are you complaining about.

KingsFan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan323 View Post
No because you guys have Franson stepping in next year and Suter is too much to pay so this trade will be good for you guys as you don't have any offensive prospects. Moller would be top prospect for you guys right away what are you complaining about.
Franson is at least another year away honestly. Sulzer should be ready to step in, but he is now out for the season with a severe groin injury so I'm not sure how that will affect him long-term.

I think we will see DeVries and possibly Zanon or Klein moved this summer, but I'm beginning to think more and more that Suter will stay put given his recent solid play paired with Weber.

I look for our defense next season to be:
Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Sulzer/Zanon/Klein
Koistinen - Zidlicky
Klein/Zanon/Sulzer

Franson should be one of the first callups as would Janne Niskala possibly.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I was actually talking with PredsV82 yesterday about a trade around Klein for Tukonen. Personally, I think there should be a mid-round pick coming our way in addition though because Klein has shown the ability to stick at the NHL level, whereas Tukonen has not forced his way into the lineup yet. Klein would definitely be in LA's top six next season and will be a solid two-way defenseman in this league for a long time to come. I hate to part with him honestly, but he is just stuck behind all the other defensemen here...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:15 PM
KingsFan323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I was actually talking with PredsV82 yesterday about a trade around Klein for Tukonen. Personally, I think there should be a mid-round pick coming our way in addition though because Klein has shown the ability to stick at the NHL level, whereas Tukonen has not forced his way into the lineup yet. Klein would definitely be in LA's top six next season and will be a solid two-way defenseman in this league for a long time to come. I hate to part with him honestly, but he is just stuck behind all the other defensemen here...
Whatever floats your boat. I hope you were the Nashville GM because I really like Klein and think he would be top 4 right away on the Kings. Suter is just more proven as of right now. Lauri Tukonen for Kevin Klein,,,I like it.

KingsFan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I have to eat some crow here-- Suter's play this last month has for the most part been very strong. Even Zidlicky has played better lately. With Suter it is natural progression, with Z just finally showing up.

Echoing some others, I think the deal we need to make is trading one of our lesser d-men-- Koistenen, Zanon, or Klein. Listed in order of preference. With any of those guys to get an offensive NHL-ready player you have to package a good pick. For the right player I would say it could happen. Not sure who that player is that you target, but there has to be some guy stuck in a forward logjam on a team that needs immediate D help.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
This is how I'd rank them at the moment.

1. Hamhuis
2. Weber
3. De Vries
4. Suter
5. Zidlicky
6. Koistinen
7. Zanon

Next year, I'd like to see them take a shot at signing Redden and then trading Zidlicky for some help up front. This team could use a capable powerplay defenceman and a little more leadership.

Hamhuis - De Vries
Redden - Weber
Suter - Zanon/Koistinen

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
This is how I'd rank them at the moment.

1. Hamhuis
2. Weber
3. De Vries
4. Suter
5. Zidlicky
6. Koistinen
7. Zanon

Next year, I'd like to see them take a shot at signing Redden and then trading Zidlicky for some help up front. This team could use a capable powerplay defenceman and a little more leadership.

Hamhuis - De Vries
Redden - Weber
Suter - Zanon/Koistinen
Suter has been our power play defenseman ... and doing a really good job of carrying the puck into the offensive zone while on the power play, its just when he loses control of the puck and it gets turned over is when the fans jump his ***

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Suter has been our power play defenseman ... and doing a really good job of carrying the puck into the offensive zone while on the power play, its just when he loses control of the puck and it gets turned over is when the fans jump his ***
You're exactly right. And if we didn't have to have a d-man carrying the puck into the zone all the time it would be as noticeable when the puck is turned over.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 01:16 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Suter is the 5th most effective powerplay producer on the team in terms of production vs powerplay icetime for defencemen.

Zidlicky - 4.09 PPP/60min
Koistinen - 3.84 PPP/60min
Weber - 3.63 PPP/60min
Hamhuis - 2.89 PPP/60min
Suter - 2.59 PPP/60min

Last year was almost identical at 2.6PPP/60 min.

His career is starting to go more the way of Eric Brewer. That's not a bad thing by any means, but neither are really great powerplay producers despite playing a lot of minutes with the extra man. I think the fact that they both are big men who can skate and move the puck up ice pretty well makes coaches (and fans, for that matter) think they'd be better on the powerplay than they actually are.

Of course, I'm not so sure anymore that replacing Zidlicky with Redden would make the powerplay much better than it is already. The problem seems to lie more with the forwards. There isn't one forward who's been able to produce near 4PPP/60. Arnott is the closest at 3.85.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 01:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Suter is the 5th most effective powerplay producer on the team in terms of production vs powerplay icetime for defencemen.

Weber - 3.63 PPP/60min
Hamhuis - 2.89 PPP/60min
Suter - 2.59 PPP/60min

His career is starting to go more the way of Eric Brewer. That's not a bad thing by any means, but neither are really great powerplay producers despite playing a lot of minutes with the extra man. I think the fact that they both are big men who can skate and move the puck up ice pretty well makes coaches (and fans, for that matter) think they'd be better on the powerplay than they actually are.

Of course, I'm not so sure anymore that replacing Zidlicky with Redden would make the powerplay much better than it is already. The problem seems to lie more with the forwards. There isn't one forward who's been able to produce near 4PPP/60. Arnott is the closest at 3.85.
You need that guy that can carry the puck up ice though, just because he doesn't get the actual points doesnt mean he's not helping the powerplay.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Dionysus

Quote:

Weber - 3.63 PPP/60min
Hamhuis - 2.89 PPP/60min
Suter - 2.59 PPP/60min

Ottawa could use him.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 06:31 PM
SpikefromDusseldorf

Unless I am mistaken the contracts that Brent Seabrook ($3.5m per) Niclas Kronwall (3.45m per) and Tom Gilbert just signed are all going to raise the expectations of Weber and Suter that they should get $4 million dollar contracts. Will the Preds sign both players at that kind of money?

SpikefromDusseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Gilbert and Kronwall's contracts are different b/c they gave up big chunks of UFA due to their advanced age upon entering the league.

Seabrook and Ryan Whitney are two comparables for Weber IMO.

04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Makaveli

I think they`ll sign Weber at 4-4.5mil. They probably wont keep Suter.

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Mystic

What will De Vries do next season?

Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
golf

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:05 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
He'll be playing with another team. He's not bad enough that there's not a place for him in the NHL. He hasn't played that poorly for us. He's just not what up to the standard of our younger D.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
He'll be playing with another team. He's not bad enough that there's not a place for him in the NHL. He hasn't played that poorly for us. He's just not what up to the standard of our younger D.
Isn't he signed for next year?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Isn't he signed for next year?
Yes - 2.25 million cap hit.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 06:17 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Yes - 2.25 million cap hit.
UGH

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Jbcraig1883

Would Nashville be interested in Bouchard at all, for someone like Suter???

I am not trying to be a homer here. I have only seen Suter play about 5 times this year. MN has no defensive depth and I think that Bouchard will be more dominant outside of Lemaire's system.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote