HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who do you want to face in the first round?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to face in the first round?
Boston 84 53.85%
Carolina 3 1.92%
Ottawa 12 7.69%
Washington 12 7.69%
Philadelphia 45 28.85%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Who do you want to face in the first round?

I realize this is premature, but as I watch the standing scenarios, I keep having this nightmare of a Habs/Caps first round series and Huet coming back to haunt us. It has intensified since the injury bug started. I think Montreal wins that series, don't get me wrong, but imagine the fallout of Huet knocking the Habs out in round one?

Seriously, the media would be out to get Gainey.

Depressing thought for the night!

(Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but I almost laugh at the potential fallout of this. The drama would be insane.)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Price > Huet.

The Canadiens are better in every aspect. The only thing Washington has that could hurt us is Ovechkin. He won't win 4 games out of 7 by himself.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
kyne

The Caps would be tricky. Not just Huet. Ovechkin could decide to put on a show and that's a scary thought.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Price > Huet.

The Canadiens are better in every aspect. The only thing Washington has that could hurt us is Ovechkin. He won't win 4 games out of 7 by himself.
Agreed, as I said, I think we win. Just kind of absurd to think we gave them a playoff spot and we might end up having a tougher first round for it.

..also, while I think we win, I would still hate to face any team with Ovechkin and a goalie who is likely pretty pissed at us.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

We will get #2. Washington (if they make it) will likely get #8 or #3--so no I am not worried.

Our ideal first round matchup is a team with questionable defense and goaltending--as the potential loss of Koivu will hinder us in that department. Boston or Philly and we will be fine for the first round. If its the Rangers and I'll be scared as they have somehow become a Devils-esque team.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kenny Powders

If we play against the Caps, Huet will give us some crappy 3rd period goals. I'm not worried. (And btw, we're one of the best team in the league when it comes to 3rd period scoring..)

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kalessin

While I'm beginning to think (with our recent injury problems) we'd perhaps stand a better chance against Washington than Philly or Boston (well, Boston also has people injured) it's also worth noting that the Caps have a better chance of finishing 3rd than 8th.

kalessin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienFan11 View Post
We will get #2. Washington (if they make it) will likely get #8 or #3--so no I am not worried.

Our ideal first round matchup is a team with questionable defense and goaltending--as the potential loss of Koivu will hinder us in that department. Boston or Phily and we will be fine for the first round. If its the Rangers and I'll be scared as they have somehow become a Devils-esque team.
Well, my nightmare is Ottawa, to be honest. I almost (almost, not really) want them to win on Tuesday so we're sure not to face them!

Old
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
WeezyHabFan

man this was the last thread i was gunna read before i went to bed... but i have to admit i have been thinking that washington is going to be a dangerous team come play off time. they got the grit to grind out a nasty playoff round and Ovechkin is always scary imo and our injuries make me more worried.. but you gotta have faith and we are battling for first for a reason were gooood

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, my nightmare is Ottawa, to be honest. I almost (almost, not really) want them to win on Tuesday so we're sure not to face them!
Why do you think I didn't mention them.

I would like an OTL though just to keep us at #2 for sure.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Price > Huet.
In the future? Yeah, probably.

Right now? There is nothing.. absolutely nothing to support this "fact."

Huet's game may have slipped a wee bit this season, but a lot of that might of been due to the fact that he knew he was going to lose his spot because Price is the future. Not because Huet wasn't good, but because he was older.

Huet doesn't have the best SV% in the entire NHL over the past 3 years for nothing. He's been fantastic.

Pressure? Yeah, he's had problems with it. But he's not having any problems with pressure right now in Washington. 8-2 with a 1.93 GAA and a .931 SV%.

They have pretty similar stats over the season (though Huet's are better).. so again, in the future that's probably going to be a valid point. But right now? Huet is equal, if not better, than Carey Price.

Quote:
Ovechkin CAN win 4 games out of 7 by himself. But since the trade deadline, The Capitals have been one of the best teams in the league at 12-5.. So I wouldn't count them out at all now that they have a legitimate #1 goalie.

I do think we'd beat them, because I think we'll beat everytime we play in the playoffs. But to flat out say what you've said in your post is a huge understatement towards the Caps.

However, I think the Captials will finish 5th or 6th, so I don't think we'll have to worry about them in the 1st round.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:18 AM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
However, I think the Captials will finish 5th or 6th, so I don't think we'll have to worry about them in the 1st round.
They basically can't. Their odds of finishing 5th or 6th are miniscule (less than 1%). It's 3rd (17%), 8th (12%), 7th (3%) or out (67%).

Those numbers don't include tonight's games, but still.

kalessin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:20 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Ovechkin CAN win 4 games out of 7 by himself.
No he cannot. Neither Gretzky or Lemieux could do that so Ovechkin can't either. Winning a game would entail him scoring at least a hatty in each one. You really think he can do that? Carbonneau was a master at shutting players down, he'd get our guys to watch him too closely. Ovechkin could win ONE game in Washington, but other than that the Habs would dominate the Caps.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Gilles Tremblay

Would you be happy if the Habs faced a Bantam B team in the first round of the playoffs? Don't you want them to beat a good team? Hell, I wouldn't mind if they lost to a good team if it was a good intense dramatic play-off. À vaincre sans péril... and I've had enough of the Bruins for this year, thank you very much.

Washington would be a fantastic first round! The return of Huet at the Bell Center, the Ovechkin show... and I do believe the Habs would have a great chance to prevail against them.

Bring on anybody and let's have some play-offs already.

Gilles Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

#8 seed Washington would make a great 2nd round matchup.

Old
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by starglider View Post
While I'm beginning to think (with our recent injury problems) we'd perhaps stand a better chance against Washington than Philly or Boston (well, Boston also has people injured) it's also worth noting that the Caps have a better chance of finishing 3rd than 8th.
I don't care what that stat site says, this isn't true.

Washington loses the tie breaker against Carolina. Assume a victory in their head to head, it still means Carolina needs to lose to one of Florida and Tampa and Carolina has the best NHL record since the all-star break.

It is worth noting, that Washington holds the first tie breaker against everyone they can catch, besides Carolina and New Jersey.

If Washington sweeps out they land at 94 points.

Philly would need 95 to stay a head, which is 4 points in 3 games (Schedule: Pittsburgh, NJ, Pittsburgh). I doubt they get it.

Boston would need 95 to stay a head, which is 4 points in 3 games (Schedule: Ottawa, Buffalo, New Jersey). I doubt they do it either.

New York Rangers also need 95 points to stead a head, which is 4 points in 4 games (Schedule: Penguins, Isles, Isles, Devils). They're likely safe.

The Senators need 3 points in 3 games, so they're by no means safe either (Schedule: Montreal, Toronto, Boston).

Finally, the Devils only need 1 point (Schedule: Islanders, Boston, Philly, Rangers) and have 4 games.

If everything happens as it "should" and Washington wins out, they finish 7th. Montreal 2nd.

Just saying.

Old
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Tremblay View Post
Would you be happy if the Habs faced a Bantam B team in the first round of the playoffs? Don't you want them to beat a good team?
I see where you're going with this but with the recent injuries I'd love to play a piss poor team, get them out of the way and get our players some rest. Plus the Habs are a young team and to give those young guys one NHL series out of the way, whether or not it's a hard team, is going to be beneficial.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Mother Pucker

Ovechkin.
Semin.
Huet.
Greene.
Backstrom.

I would friggin' HATE to face this team in the first round, especially without Koivu. It's one of the rare teams I am scared of facing in the East

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Tremblay View Post
Would you be happy if the Habs faced a Bantam B team in the first round of the playoffs? Don't you want them to beat a good team? Hell, I wouldn't mind if they lost to a good team if it was a good intense dramatic play-off. À vaincre sans péril... and I've had enough of the Bruins for this year, thank you very much.

Washington would be a fantastic first round! The return of Huet at the Bell Center, the Ovechkin show... and I do believe the Habs would have a great chance to prevail against them.

Bring on anybody and let's have some play-offs already.
Well, obviously, Montreal needs to win their series for people to be happy. I am not scared of the playoffs.

I am scared of the fallout and potential firing of Bob Gainey if Huet throws some playoff magic and kills a 1st/2nd place Montreal team.

Losing to Boston would suck, but it would be a hiccup for a young team.

Losing to a team you essentially helped get into the playoffs, on the strength of a goalie you gave away for nothing you really needed (in-conference!) would be a form of career suicide Gainey could only match by banning French from the Bell Centre. I honestly am not sure he'd be able to keep the job, which is a shame, but seriously.

This is a potential landmine for the organization that no other opponent poses.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:28 AM
ari1160

ill be worry if komi, saku and streit are not back.
please be back guys please.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
No he cannot. Neither Gretzky or Lemieux could do that so Ovechkin can't either. Winning a game would entail him scoring at least a hatty in each one. You really think he can do that? Carbonneau was a master at shutting players down, he'd get our guys to watch him too closely. Ovechkin could win ONE game in Washington, but other than that the Habs would dominate the Caps.
Ovechkin is the most elite player in the NHL.. and when you focus so much on watching one player, it lets Washington's other lines go to work.

With a legit #1 goalie.. Washington, IMO, has become a Top-10 NHL team. And with so little between the top teams to the mediocre teams these days.. almost anyone could "upset" anyone.

To think that Ovechkin and the Caps can't beat us would be crazy. To think that Ovechkin and the Caps can't get to the Stanley Cup Finals would be crazy as well.

Ovechkin has scored over 26% of the Captials goals.
Ovheckin has picked up a point on 47% of the Capitals goals.

And it's not like the Caps don't score goals.. they are a Top-10 scoring team in the NHL.

Ovechkin can win games by himself. With the help he is getting this year, it's a bit easier. By adding a #1 goalie at the deadline.. the Capitals are a deadly, deadly team.

Aside from the San Jose Sharks (what the hell!?!).. the Capitals have been the best team in the league over the past 10-15 games.

Since gaining Huet, Ovechkin has posted 27 points over 15 games.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:31 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esticallice View Post
Ovechkin.
Semin.
Huet.
Greene.
Backstrom.

I would friggin' HATE to face this team in the first round, especially without Koivu. It's one of the rare teams I am scared of facing in the East
Those guys have a combined 6 games of NHL playoff experience.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Aside from the San Jose Sharks (what the hell!?!).. the Capitals have been the best team in the league over the past 10-15 games.
Brian Campbell.

God's honest truth is, anyone in the East can beat anyone.

I don't think Washington is a harder opponent than any of our other options at the 7/8 spot. IE: More likely to flame out against us, but also more likely to go crazy on us. Nonetheless, I wouldn't fear them more than any other team.

The reason they scare me is again the fallout if we do lose. The Huet factor could change this franchise for years if the following s---storm forces Gainey out.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Ovechkin is the most elite player in the NHL.. and when you focus so much on watching one player, it lets Washington's other lines go to work.

With a legit #1 goalie.. Washington, IMO, has become a Top-10 NHL team. And with so little between the top teams to the mediocre teams these days.. almost anyone could "upset" anyone.

To think that Ovechkin and the Caps can't beat us would be crazy. To think that Ovechkin and the Caps can't get to the Stanley Cup Finals would be crazy as well.

Ovechkin has scored over 26% of the Captials goals.
Ovheckin has picked up a point on 47% of the Capitals goals.

And it's not like the Caps don't score goals.. they are a Top-10 scoring team in the NHL.

Ovechkin can win games by himself. With the help he is getting this year, it's a bit easier. By adding a #1 goalie at the deadline.. the Capitals are a deadly, deadly team.

Since gaining Huet, Ovechkin has posted 27 points over 15 games.
I agree, not only can Ovechkin win games by himself... but I just can't imagine how hyped this guy will be in the playoffs. He'll be close to unstopable.

And as I mentionned before, Ovechkin is far from being alone on a team that looks more and more serious.
Semin is a hell of a sniper, Greene is just scary, Backstrom makes sick passes and Huet seems to work well without the musical chair routine. And Fedorov is as good a shutdown center as you'll get, something like the complete opposite of let's say, hmmm, Smolinski.

If these ********* get in the playoffs they might do damage to any team that face them, especially to a damaged team like us.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Kirk Muller

To be honest i have a bad feeling against all the team cause if hab teams in the past have taught me anything, any team can beat anyone in a best of 7 series at any given time.

Simple fact is if Montreal doesn't play there best hockey against any team they won't be successful.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote