HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want to face in the first round?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to face in the first round?
Boston 84 53.85%
Carolina 3 1.92%
Ottawa 12 7.69%
Washington 12 7.69%
Philadelphia 45 28.85%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Habs _Fan

vCash: 500
We will not face Washington because they will be in 3rd place after winning their last 3 and Carolina will only win 1 more and will be out of the playoffs.

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
i've heard quite a few guys saying that they feared facing the caps in first round. sure ovy could steal one or two games by his own. But still, who's left for the caps but semin? 'cause concerning ovechkin, the most efficient shutdown-duo we have in komi and markov will easily contain the russian phenom. seems like no one remember that time ovechkin said that the hardest dman to face was his buddy andrei

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Tuggy

I don't even think they will make the playoffs to be honest. Right now they sit at 88 points with 3 games left (so they can hit a max of 94 points). They sit 3 points behind 6, 7 and 8 who have 91 points. I see Washington losing at least one of their final 3 games (meaning they can only hit a max of 92 points) and all three of the teams they are chasing winning at least once (giving them at least 93 points).

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Habs _Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I don't even think they will make the playoffs to be honest. Right now they sit at 88 points with 3 games left (so they can hit a max of 94 points). They sit 3 points behind 6, 7 and 8 who have 91 points. I see Washington losing at least one of their final 3 games (meaning they can only hit a max of 92 points) and all three of the teams they are chasing winning at least once (giving them at least 93 points).
You forgot the 3rd place...Carolina has 90 points and they are playing against the Caps Thuesday. If Washington win they win both have 90 points with 2 games left...T-B and Floride.

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, obviously, Montreal needs to win their series for people to be happy. I am not scared of the playoffs.

I am scared of the fallout and potential firing of Bob Gainey if Huet throws some playoff magic and kills a 1st/2nd place Montreal team.

Losing to Boston would suck, but it would be a hiccup for a young team.

Losing to a team you essentially helped get into the playoffs, on the strength of a goalie you gave away for nothing you really needed (in-conference!) would be a form of career suicide Gainey could only match by banning French from the Bell Centre. I honestly am not sure he'd be able to keep the job, which is a shame, but seriously.

This is a potential landmine for the organization that no other opponent poses.
I honestly think you worry way too much right now. Have you ever thought about signing-up for relaxation classes? No seriously, the media will always do their job (most of the time, talking about bad moves rather than good moves). Always trying to denigrate people rather than giving praises (i.e.: one guy makes 3 good moves and 1 bad move and media will always focus more on the bad move.) Remember last year? Every press member that followed the team wanted Gainey or Carbonneau out. Same thing with Bégin when he took his double minor for high sticking during last season's final game. What are they saying now?

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs _Fan View Post
You forgot the 3rd place...Carolina has 90 points and they are playing against the Caps Thuesday. If Washington win they win both have 90 points with 2 games left...T-B and Floride.
I think Carolina will beat them tomorrow.

Old
03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs _Fan View Post
As far as those T-B and Florida, what's great for the Caps is that they play both them the day after Carolina meet them. Caps will get tired eliminated teams.

But I do believe that the Canes will beat them, or at least get a point.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If you look at any teams, there are reasons to not want to play them.

Ottawa - We haven't been good gainst them this season.
Boston - We humiliated them in the season, they could rise above and deliver a payback, we did it to them before.
Philly - They could goon our best players out of the line-up.
Rangers - Not a good record against them and a lot of playoff experience in the line-up
Carolina - Justin Williams vs. 2

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:07 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Should they finish 3rd, I think they'd be demolished by Ottawa (0mg season sweep...like that even remotely matters) or the Rangers but would fare better vs the Bruins or Flyers.
The Capitals combined record against all 3 teams is 7-5.

People obviously don't understand how good the Caps are since adding Huet and Fedorov.

And with Nylander coming back.. They are scary.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Well all of the teams mentioned are thinking about our PP, our 7 players with over 50 points and Price and THEY too wish they wont meet us...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Miller Time

wouldn't even be having this conversation if Gainey hadn't been so keen on landing a 2nd round pick 2 years from now...

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Also the Caps will only get BETTER if they make the playoffs. Michael Nylander (37 PTS in 40 GP) is due back.
I don't think he is. By all accounts he is done for this season + playoffs.

Anyway, I feel Washington as an opponent for us is getting seriously unlikely at this point.

To finish 8th, they basically need the Pens to beat the Flyers twice...and if that happens, the Pens most likely finish 1st in the conference and we finish 2nd.

The Caps have a much better shot at winning their division than finishing 7th or 8th right now IMO.

If you want to be worried about something? Imagine playing the Rangers or the Senators WITHOUT Koivu in ROUND 1 after having this dream season. Total ****ing ********.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Sigh...

I'm getting tired of this. This most be like the gazillionth thread about "Oh great mercy!! we might just face the caps in the playoffs.. run for your lives!!" in the past few weeks.

We have more chances of facing NYR (which I'm much more scared of) PHI or BOS...

And even then, the Caps are 3 points away from those three teams, yet the Caps are only 2 points away from Carolina... So, if the Caps go into the playoffs, it might just be thru the 3rd seed, division winner and not a matchup versus Montreal in the first round...

And anyway... Huet... The Habs have been practising against him for the last three seasons.. they know his weaknesses. For the umpteenth time over the last few weeks : Nothing to be scared about.

/Sigh...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Sigh...

I'm getting tired of this. This most be like the gazillionth thread about "Oh great mercy!! we might just face the caps in the playoffs.. run for your lives!!" in the past few weeks.

We have more chances of facing NYR (which I'm much more scared of) PHI or BOS...

And even then, the Caps are 3 points away from those three teams, yet the Caps are only 2 points away from Carolina... So, if the Caps go into the playoffs, it might just be thru the 3rd seed, division winner and not a matchup versus Montreal in the first round...

And anyway... Huet... The Habs have been practising against him for the last three seasons.. they know his weaknesses. For the umpteenth time over the last few weeks : Nothing to be scared about.

/Sigh...
People fear the unknown!

Old
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
biggymac609

i would definitley not want to play them, imagine, huet, ovechkin in his first playoffs, scary

biggymac609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
LyleOdelein

If Washington is such a "scary" team, the Habs will have to beat them some time to come out of the east. I'm not really worried about any of the possible matchups. They will play whoever they play. I think that the Habs can beat any team in the east. It's all down to execution and luck to see if they do.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
I honestly think you worry way too much right now. Have you ever thought about signing-up for relaxation classes? No seriously, the media will always do their job (most of the time, talking about bad moves rather than good moves). Always trying to denigrate people rather than giving praises (i.e.: one guy makes 3 good moves and 1 bad move and media will always focus more on the bad move.) Remember last year? Every press member that followed the team wanted Gainey or Carbonneau out. Same thing with Bégin when he took his double minor for high sticking during last season's final game. What are they saying now?
Oh, come on, it's a message board where we discuss Habs things. I'm not losing sleep here, jeez!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
If Washington is such a "scary" team, the Habs will have to beat them some time to come out of the east. I'm not really worried about any of the possible matchups. They will play whoever they play. I think that the Habs can beat any team in the east. It's all down to execution and luck to see if they do.
That why we fight for the first place.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I have a bad feeling entering the playoff PERIOD.
With all those injuries it doesn't smell good at all.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
I have a bad feeling entering the playoff PERIOD.
With all those injuries it doesn't smell good at all.
+1

Hopefully the young will step up, and Dandeanult, Brisebois, Smolinski will play over the top.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
couris

Wash won't make the playoffs so no worries

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I realize this is premature, but as I watch the standing scenarios, I keep having this nightmare of a Habs/Caps first round series and Huet coming back to haunt us. It has intensified since the injury bug started. I think Montreal wins that series, don't get me wrong, but imagine the fallout of Huet knocking the Habs out in round one?

Seriously, the media would be out to get Gainey.

Depressing thought for the night!

(Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but I almost laugh at the potential fallout of this. The drama would be insane.)
I feel really good entering a series with Washington, I would like to face Huet and Kolzig. Kolzig is washed up, Huet is known for his weak spots by the whole Canadiens roster and management (we have tonnes of game tape to look at) and we focus on the Ovy line and shut him down and I like our chances.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Price > Huet.

The Canadiens are better in every aspect. The only thing Washington has that could hurt us is Ovechkin. He won't win 4 games out of 7 by himself.
QFT.

We take them in 5 games.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
MM425

No, I'd be very confident that we beat them in a 7 game series.

They're playing well, no doubt about it but IMO they don't have the depth to win a 7 game series, especially on defense. There's the Ovechkin factor, but he can't win a series completely by himself. I also think more than any other team in the league, the Habs would expose Huet... they know his weaknesses inside and out and IMO would totally exploit him.

I'd be more worried if we played the Rangers or Ottawa in the first round.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Nope, not scared at all. Our shooters knows Huet's weakness (like all of us...shoot from the point basically) and we are better in any other aspect of the game. Yes they do have Ovechkin, but the guy won't win 4 games of 7 against us. I say we win easily in 5.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote