HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Captain Kovalev for 6 weeks.

Old
03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
brownman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Next 6 weeks? you proclaimed in the other thread Montreal wouldnt last the 1st round without Koivu though?
Was about to point out the same thing.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Meh,knowing the french media and the brainless fans who believe any damn thing they say,Kovalev will certainly get abused for his poor leadership skills and his dedication.Then Koivu will be blamed as usual and there will be trade requests to boot him out of town this summer.
I'm more interested to see if the same "fans" who love to bring up how Koivu never took this team anywhere (and obviously its all his fault) will criticize Kovalev for leading a top 5 team to a first round exit. Cause I mean, it's always the captain's fault, right?

Of course, they just don't like Koivu. But it'll be fun to catch them in their hypocrisy if it happens.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Meh,knowing the french media and the brainless fans who believe any damn thing they say,Kovalev will certainly get abused for his poor leadership skills and his dedication.Then Koivu will be blamed as usual and there will be trade requests to boot him out of town this summer.

even if he had an ordinary season, the team is 2nd in the conference... lol .... I doubt anyone can blame him ....

but on the other hand, I oppose myself to those who give koivu credit for the season the team is having...

there is a big difference between the two ...

the team now plays beyond expectations... whatever happens, I'm happy... we have a shot at the cup ... who would have thought?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
here we go again....

if price gets injured , we should keep halak on the bench, and play with an empty net ... that would be respectfull to price ...

edit: in the player's mind, it's good to have another captain on the ice...
Your comment is so dumb. I have no problem with Kovy with the "C" if Saku was consulted. I just think that Saks deserves the respect because of all the things he did for the Habs and is on his way to become the longest reigning captain of the biggest Hockey franchise of the History. I know, he is no Stevie Y or Mario Lemieux, but I think he deserves the same kind of respect as those 2 guys. As far as I remember, Wings didn't have another captain when Yzerman was injured and Pens went through a whole season without a Captain to show respect for Mario.

Nothing against Kovy, but didn't he say that he was gonna take french lesson when he was traded here? How is his french now? Anyways, I'm not gonna start a war about who would be a better Captain. I only have 2 Habs jersey, #11 with a "C" in front and #27 with an "A".

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
but on the other hand, I oppose myself to those who give koivu credit for the season the team is having...
But all those years of mediocrity were all Koivu's fault, weren't they? Now he can't take credit for the success?

Old
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Was about to point out the same thing.
I know... i'm just saying i'm very scared to go in playoffs with our line-up with the injuries. We have no ideas how the youngsters will respond in playoffs... i'm scared they'll shy out. Let's hope not.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
So if Saku doesn't play and Kovy is captain while he's out, and the Habs are bumped in the 1st round, is everyoe going to jump on Kovy for failing to lead this team to victory?
Absolutely not. If the team is not ready to perform at the highest level without Saku Koivu, it is entirely Saku's fault. He has had over 8 years to prepare the team for this moment, and any failure will be his and his alone.

In fact, it is his responsibility to motivate Guy Carbonneau and the coaching staff as well. Hell, if he isn't going to score 120 points a season, it's the least he can do to justify wearing our 'C' all this time.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Your comment is so dumb. I have no problem with Kovy with the "C" if Saku was consulted. I just think that Saks deserves the respect because of all the things he did for the Habs and is on his way to become the longest reigning captain of the biggest Hockey franchise of the History. I know, he is no Stevie Y or Mario Lemieux, but I think he deserves the same kind of respect as those 2 guys. As far as I remember, Wings didn't have another captain when Yzerman was injured and Pens went through a whole season without a Captain to show respect for Mario.
I laughed because I knew someone would be against kovy being captain in respect for koivu...

I'm not sure if saku > yzerman or lemieux ...

lol ... he deserves respect, but for the players, its better to have someone on the ice... saku brings a lot, but giving kovalec the C will help the players focus, and I'm sure its not a question of respect for saku ... that's just for the good of the TEAM

Old
03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
I'm more interested to see if the same "fans" who love to bring up how Koivu never took this team anywhere (and obviously its all his fault) will criticize Kovalev for leading a top 5 team to a first round exit. Cause I mean, it's always the captain's fault, right?

Of course, they just don't like Koivu. But it'll be fun to catch them in their hypocrisy if it happens.
The Koivu haters who consistently denigrate him for the team failures since 1993 don't need a reason to hate Koivu.They simply hate him..Honestly,75% of the BS Koivu gets isn't related to hockey at all.,But like you said,it'll be fun to catch the hypocrites in their denial.Koivu ,a great player and a great individual doesn't honestly deserve to receive such treatement after all he did here,and is a fairly underestimated and underappreciated player(especially on the francophone side).He's a true warrior and epitomize/exemplify what a Hab should be.

I can't wait the playoffs start though.If the Habs go far,it's mostly because we have a good team,not that Koivu has successfully elevated his game or is a good captain.But if the Habs fail to meet great expectations,Koivu alone will be identified as the one who failed to lead the Habs and should be credited for the Habs failure.
I've been here long enough to detect the Koivu detractors on this board and they're in complete denial.Zamboni,Sumhabs,DWEEB,YaBasta and other haters should keep their mouth shut.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 03-31-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Kovalev won't wear the "C" in the playoffs. Sorry to burst your homer bubble.

Koivu will play, regardless of the injury. If he can just play 8-10 mins per game.. it's better than Dandenault getting 8-10 mins per game.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
lol ... he deserves respect, but for the players, its better to have someone on the ice... saku brings a lot, but giving kovalec the C will help the players focus, and I'm sure its not a question of respect for saku ... that's just for the good of the TEAM
Yes because we all know the stabalizing force of having someone with a "C" on the their jersey rather than an "A". I mean, how could these poor players POSSIBLY concentrate without a "C" on the ice? It would be disaster!

Everyone knows the C has magical properties.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
But all those years of mediocrity were all Koivu's fault, weren't they? Now he can't take credit for the success?
I never said saku was responsible for the past 10 years no one should blame him for that.... he spent his prime playing with ordinary players ... and now that his linemates are getting better, he passed his prime and starts showing signs of age....

I have NOTHING ... against koivu ... I'm sympathetic to what he has gone through... and I love the fact that he is our 2nd longest serving captain ... but the fact remains ... he had an ordinary season ... and I'm willing to bet he's not going to reach 70 pts next year ... no matter where we are in the standings...

If he does, I'll be the 1rst one on my knees , praising him. but I don't think its gonna happen.

he contributed on and off the ice this year and deserves credit for that ... for being part of a division winning team... He deserves some credit ... but he wasn't the main variable this year.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I never said saku was responsible for the past 10 years no one should blame him for that.... he spent his prime playing with ordinary players ... and now that his linemates are getting better, he passed his prime and starts showing signs of age....

I have NOTHING ... against koivu ... I'm sympathetic to what he has gone through... and I love the fact that he is our 2nd longest serving captain ... but the fact remains ... he had an ordinary season ... and I'm willing to bet he's not going to reach 70 pts next year ... no matter where we are in the standings...

If he does, I'll be the 1rst one on my knees , praising him. but I don't think its gonna happen.

he contributed on and off the ice this year and deserves credit for that ... for being part of a division winning team... He deserves some credit ... but he wasn't the main variable this year.
I wasn't really responding to you specifically...It was more a shot at the dozens of posters on this very forum who have said, on multiple occasions, that Koivu is the reason for all those years of mediocrity.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:09 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Yes because we all know the stabalizing force of having someone with a "C" on the their jersey rather than an "A". I mean, how could these poor players POSSIBLY concentrate without a "C" on the ice? It would be disaster!

Everyone knows the C has magical properties.
lmao ... dude...

its just a psychological edge ... I wasn't the one making the decision ... but I think carbo made the right decision ...

young players need to forget saku is out ... making kovalev captain for a couple of weeks is just good management ... that's my honest opinion ...

Old
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Much like Kovalev showed signs of age last season?

Koivu has had a set of wingers all year. Higgins and Ryder have been moved all over. He had to play with Kostopoulos. Dandenault. Smolinski.

I don't think Koivu is doing anything wrong this year.. Koivu and Kovalev have the exact same career PPG ratios. Koivu IS down a bit this year.. but not an extreme amount (.81 to .72) ..

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
I laughed because I knew someone would be against kovy being captain in respect for koivu...

I'm not sure if saku > yzerman or lemieux ...

From dumb to dumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I know, he is no Stevie Y or Mario Lemieux

Old
03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Pedro McGuire*

well every time i have seen him play with the "C" he seems very proud and I think this might be a blessing in disguise cause it will SURELY push him to shine! Kovy is not stupid. He knows whats up with habs fans, he knows what they expect and I KINDA think he has found out how to win our hearts. I LOVE that he is the captain and call me crazy but he gives me the comfidence that Koivu doesnt. sorry Koivu! no hard feelings.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:23 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
lmao ... dude...

its just a psychological edge ... I wasn't the one making the decision ... but I think carbo made the right decision ...

young players need to forget saku is out ... making kovalev captain for a couple of weeks is just good management ... that's my honest opinion ...
I'm pretty sure they'll notice that Koivu is out whether Kovy has a C on his shirt or not.

They aren't idiots. They won't see a C and say "Koivu!!!!!!!"

Old
03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they'll notice that Koivu is out whether Kovy has a C on his shirt or not.

Gotta love all those mental pictures of the locker room right now.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:28 PM
THE HOFF

CLUMSYHAB

you flammed because you were against the fact that Kovalev had been given the C .... because it was a ''lack of respect'' for saku ... I made a joke saying : '' If acrey price gets injured, we should leave an empty net in tribute to him '' ... that was a joke... with a lot of sarcasm in it...

although I respect your opinion , I think it was a great decision to give Kovy the C.... that's all .

Old
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

a well identified leader ON the ice is a good thing in a YOUNG team ... that's all I meant ...

Old
03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
a well identified leader ON the ice is a good thing in a YOUNG team ... that's all I meant ...
A leader has nothing to do with the letter on his jersey. He's a leader because of how he carries himself, how he acts towards his teammates and how he acts in key situations. The players don't see the letter, they see the guy wearing the jersey. This whole "they need someone with a C instead of an A to feel comfortable" is so silly, I'm starting to wonder if you're actually being serious.

You can strip everyone of their letters, but in the end the same guys will step up and be leaders. It has nothing to do with what's on their jersey.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
A leader has nothing to do with the letter on his jersey. He's a leader because of how he carries himself, how he acts towards his teammates and how he acts in key situations. The players don't see the letter, they see the guy wearing the jersey. This whole "they need someone with a C instead of an A to feel comfortable" is so silly, I'm starting to wonder if you're actually being serious.

You can strip everyone of their letters, but in the end the same guys will step up and be leaders. It has nothing to do with what's on their jersey.
you want to explain to me what a leader is? man ... hahahah... I layed out my opinion... which is... that the decision made by the coaching staff to give kovalev the C was a good one... Because, from personnal experiences, I can tell you that I would have prefered it this way as well...

off the ice, saku can contribute as much, but on the ice, kovy is the man, and has been all year. I feel it can prevent other young players from trying to do too much... it can give you an edge with referees as well ... I don't think you need a PHD to understand that...

if it doesn't change anything , why do you care anyways...?

Old
03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:

off the ice, saku can contribute as much, but on the ice, kovy is the man, and has been all year.
If Grabovski explodes next season and is our scoring leader, should he wear the "C"? Seriously, I don't mind if Kovy wears temporarily the "C" as long as the real captain that has carried the team for the last 10 years has been consulted.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Manbearpig48

How long do you guys have Kovy signed for? He's an excellent player. I really liked him when he played for us but its good to see hes still kicking some ass....

Manbearpig48 is offline   Reply With Quote