HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Are player paid?

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2004, 09:14 PM
8b

vCash: 500
Are player paid?

Does the player have a paycheck (other than their NHL pay) to play in the world championships? I think they have an extra pay but my friend (Lazek) says they do it for free ( ).

Old
05-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Ocelot

No. They are playing for there contry not for money.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Kronblom

They get a small compensation for each day but that its nothing compared to the salaries in the NHL. They do however get a bonus if they win medals, the amount varies from country to country.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:54 AM
BCCHL inactive

I can tell you that Hockey Canada does not pay its players to play at the World Championships.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:17 PM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I can tell you that Hockey Canada does not pay its players to play at the World Championships.
Why they have big ad on their helmet then? It is a shame if they don't have a pay for at least those ads.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8b
Why they have big ad on their helmet then? It is a shame if they don't have a pay for at least those ads.
That is tournament corporate sponsorship. All players in the tournament have to wear those advertisements.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Do they pay for hotels, dinner, or transportation? or is it all up to the players?

Old
05-06-2004, 02:05 AM
teme

I believe it's more or less free food, travel, lodging and a small allowance. Also, at least Team Canada offers a free trip to one companion per player, usually wife or gf. I just read on the paper that Smyth has his whole family and his parents with him, at his own expense I guess.

Money from the gate, adds, television rights and so on goes to local federation and other IIHF members. This money in turn is used to finance junior hockey, national teams in various levels and so on. Last WC in Finland had 450 000 tickets sold and netted about 5 million euros to Finnish Hockey Federation (that's 5M after IIHF took its share.)

So for players the games are chance to represent their country and compete at extremely high level and high skill games, for their family it is a two week vacation in a very nice country, for the sport it is a chance to get more visibility in countries like Denmark, for national federations that run junior hockey and so on it is much needed source of funding.

Old
05-06-2004, 10:43 AM
BruinsGirl

I remember hearing that Lukashenko (president of Belarussia) promiced 20,000 to each player if they beat team Russia in the bronze game of Olimpics in 2002.

Old
05-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Legolas

For NHL players, it isn't a monetary issue obviously...many enjoy playing for their countries, it allows them to prolong their season since most are coming from non-playoff teams....Ryan Smyth for example, has played many times in the WHC. This year is particularly important though for players such as Roberto Luongo, Mike Dunham, Dany Heatley and others who are trying to win a spot on their country's World Cup teams. With most of the elite players in the playoffs and unable to compete, this is the last opportunity for other players to have a good tournament and improve their candidacy for the World Cup. Heatley, the leading goal scorer in the tournament, has greatly improved his stock, which was questionable after his car accident earlier this year.

Closed Thread