HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Captain Kovalev for 6 weeks.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
If Grabovski explodes next season and is our scoring leader, should he wear the "C"? Seriously, I don't mind if Kovy wears temporarily the "C" as long as the real captain that has carried the team for the last 10 years has been consulted.
I try to see what it has to do with the current situation.... if plecanek was our leading goalscorer this year, i'd still give it to kovy ... he's respected by all the players and has a lot of experience to share...

I don't see where we disagree honestly...if you're not against kovy wearing the C temporarily... then we have nothing left to discuss...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

I have no objection to naming Kovalev as temporary captain. He's worthy of it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Yeah.. not sure why everyone is freaking out. Not like they gave kovy the perm. Captaincy.. it's only temporary.. calm down.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
NewBlood

The guy isn't a nobody either...he captained Team Russia at the last World Cup.

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
If Grabovski explodes next season and is our scoring leader, should he wear the "C"? Seriously, I don't mind if Kovy wears temporarily the "C" as long as the real captain that has carried the team for the last 10 years has been consulted.
Carried the team? Havent we made the playoffs like 3 times in the past 10 years?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Carried the team? Havent we made the playoffs like 3 times in the past 10 years?
Just imagine how bad we would have been if he hadn't been with the Habs...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I wasn't really responding to you specifically...It was more a shot at the dozens of posters on this very forum who have said, on multiple occasions, that Koivu is the reason for all those years of mediocrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Bang on.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Bang on.
Bang on what ? He said he carried the team for ten years... I asked he carried the team to what, its not like if we had done anything great in the past ten years Saku or not

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Grabo59

Sorry if I come off as a moron in this post, but is the notion of Kovalev being named captain a suggestion by the OP? Or has anyone heard for a fact that he will be named captain? rds.ca has'nt reported anything, so is this speculation, rumor or a suggestion?

Grabo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:17 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabo59 View Post
Sorry if I come off as a moron in this post, but is the notion of Kovalev being named captain a suggestion by the OP? Or has anyone heard for a fact that he will be named captain? rds.ca has'nt reported anything, so is this speculation, rumor or a suggestion?
He was captain earlier in the year when Koivu missed a game and he is an assistant captain. Its kind of a no brainer.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
HabsHockey

what's the big deal here?

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
you want to explain to me what a leader is? man ... hahahah... I layed out my opinion... which is... that the decision made by the coaching staff to give kovalev the C was a good one... Because, from personnal experiences, I can tell you that I would have prefered it this way as well...

off the ice, saku can contribute as much, but on the ice, kovy is the man, and has been all year. I feel it can prevent other young players from trying to do too much... it can give you an edge with referees as well ... I don't think you need a PHD to understand that...

if it doesn't change anything , why do you care anyways...?
"personal experiences" tell you Kovalev should of been Captain all along. Do tell us some inside info that of course only you are privilege to.

Or are we basing that Kovalev should be Captain because he led the team on the ice last year, oh wait.....

Kovalev is going to give us an edge with referees

if anything, refs have had a grudge against him for his embellishment earlier in his career.

At the end of the day, its just a letter however your reasoning is quite suspect and completely lacking in any form of common sense.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
what's the big deal here?
Just the usual meeting of "Saku Koivu's Sycophants Anonymous Club".

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Why 6 weeks? I was under the impression Koivu was more then likely going to be back for the playoffs but would not know for sure until the end of this week.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
well every time i have seen him play with the "C" he seems very proud and I think this might be a blessing in disguise cause it will SURELY push him to shine! Kovy is not stupid. He knows whats up with habs fans, he knows what they expect and I KINDA think he has found out how to win our hearts. I LOVE that he is the captain and call me crazy but he gives me the comfidence that Koivu doesnt. sorry Koivu! no hard feelings.
I agree. He's a great leader, and is probably Gretzky right now in the eyes of Andrei, Sergei, and Mikhail, the guys who he is probably affecting the most

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Bandwagon's full.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
jonny5

Another brain dead move by the classless Carboneau. Total, total, lack of respect for Saku Koivu. Even though it may be temporary, it breaks the streak of being captain by Koivu. Unbelievable lack of respect. Also, if Kovalev had any respect for Koivu, he would not have taken the "C". By the way, didn't the Habs lose "Captain Kovalev's"(laughable) first game to the lowly Leafs??? The archrivals??? Great leadership Kovy!!!

jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
Another brain dead move by the classless Carboneau. Total, total, lack of respect for Saku Koivu. Even though it may be temporary, it breaks the streak of being captain by Koivu. Unbelievable lack of respect. Also, if Kovalev had any respect for Koivu, he would not have taken the "C". By the way, didn't the Habs lose "Captain Kovalev's"(laughable) first game to the lowly Leafs??? The archrivals??? Great leadership Kovy!!!
Huh... what ?

Koivu must have given his consent before Carbo gave the C

And it's not his first game as the Habs captain

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Mont Royale

Quote:
Nahh... there's a difference between acting captain and captain.

Mont Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Have we even won yet with Kovalev as captain.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Don't post this,now we'll have ZAMBONI acting about how Kovy deserved it and Koivu has been invisible this year

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
I'm a big Kovalev fan, (maybe not as a big as thedammed, but you know, I'm straight.) but I have to agree with that.

Koivu has been captain since 1999, he deserves more respect than what he's getting now. Does someone else wear Sakic's or Sundin's C when he's out to injury a week or two ?

Besides the first sentence, the rest of the post is a waste of brandwith tho

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
HabsHockey

this thread is about what now im confused, do we hate koivu?

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
this thread is about what now im confused, do we hate koivu?
yes we do

like any good thread on hfboards, it comes down to one person, Saku Koivu.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I'm a big Kovalev fan, (maybe not as a big as thedammed, but you know, I'm straight.) but I have to agree with that.

Koivu has been captain since 1999, he deserves more respect than what he's getting now. Does someone else wear Sakic's or Sundin's C when he's out to injury a week or two ?

Besides the first sentence, the rest of the post is a waste of brandwith tho
I believe the word you are searching for is bandwith.

I really don't think its too disrespectful.. I really really don't think Carbonneau or the Canadiens organisation would just hand out the C to Kovalev just like that. I wouldn't doubt it one bit if it was Saku's own idea, just so there is no confusion on which "A" is the go-to guy on the bench.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote