HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howson ranked as the 25th best GM

Old
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
cbj21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
We got nothing for Feds, and we could have made a move for J.M Liles or Andrew Brunette in exchange for Foote, rather than another, ANOTHER, pick.

Peca, Hejda, and Tarnstrom were his best moves imo. Hockey News has the rating about right really, he could stand to be a little higher, but until he makes some good off season pick ups, I'm neutral on him.
People wanted to dump Fed for free and who can blaime them?
We git picks for Foote that can help bring us what we really need during the off season.
Get real.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
errey21

One thing is for certain, Fedorov was not going to be back next year.

One thing is not for certain, that Ted Ruth will not play in the NHL some day or be used as an asset to acquire something else.

A little early for me to say we got nothing????

H#ll, if it did nothing more than free up some ice time for someone that might fit into our plans next year its good enough for me.

And getting the 1st for Foote to me is amazing considering the circumstances. Arent there a couple teams that dont have 1sts this year like San Jose (Marleau?) and Edmonton (Stoll, is he a UFA?)

I would imagine Ottawa would like to move up since they are hosting (Vermette?)

Anyway, the extra first seems to make us alot more nimble than Foote ever looked on the ice.

Im happy.

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:23 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Why does everyone seem to think we totally pulled the wool over Colorado's eyes on the foote deal?? Some of us have been were saying Foote should fetch us a first rounder all year.

The Feds deal was the same thing, his trade value was actually hurt more and more the longer Howson waited to move him.

Howson made two moves that may help us in the future, or may not not. Both their contracts were up at the end of the season so its not like it frees up salary to go after players this offseason, we were going to have that freed salary anyways.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Why does everyone seem to think we totally pulled the wool over Colorado's eyes on the foote deal?? Some of us have been were saying Foote should fetch us a first rounder all year.

The Feds deal was the same thing, his trade value was actually hurt more and more the longer Howson waited to move him.

Howson made two moves that may help us in the future, or may not not. Both their contracts were up at the end of the season so its not like it frees up salary to go after players this offseason, we were going to have that freed salary anyways.
Foote wasn't worth a first round pick. No way, no how ... not even the Colorado fans thought so.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The Foote first rounder, Hedja and perhaps Wilson defines Howsons work during his first year as a general manager. Peca was a no brainer. Last I checked the CBJ missed the playoffs under his watch so one can't expect sport writers to give him top ten ratings. GM ratings parallel league standings; based on current CBJ prospects, draft picks and available money the Jackets are virtually guaranteed to make the playoffs next year so Howson should improve to a ranking of at least 16. If not then punt.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:46 AM
BluejacketNut

SH better be shooting for a top 5 rating next year if he wants to keep the fan base. Anything less then a blockbuster offseason will be very bad for this franchise.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Foote wasn't worth a first round pick. No way, no how ... not even the Colorado fans thought so.
And yet we care or give any value on what a fan thinks? Fans, for the most part, and completely and totally clueless about the real value of people.

Yet I am glad to know we have people around here that know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what someone's trade value is.

Why are we still taking about Foote and Feds? Why do we even care?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And yet we care or give any value on what a fan thinks? Fans, for the most part, and completely and totally clueless about the real value of people.

Yet I am glad to know we have people around here that know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what someone's trade value is.

Why are we still taking about Foote and Feds? Why do we even care?
Then why do you spend so much time with us?

Your last point - bang on.

Old
03-31-2008, 09:55 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
One thing is for certain, Fedorov was not going to be back next year.

One thing is not for certain, that Ted Ruth will not play in the NHL some day or be used as an asset to acquire something else.

A little early for me to say we got nothing????
Im happy.

Ok....your comment got me thinking....
Other than Nash and Zherdev WHO on our team is better than Fedorov next year?

Here is my RANKING OF FORWARDS at the end of this season:
  1. Nash
  2. Zherdev
  3. Fedorov, Chimera
  4. Peca, Malhotra
  5. Everyone else.

Now, assuming Modin returns to form next year, and assuming we get 1 good UFA center in the off season, Feds slips to 5th on the Forward depth chart. So I ask you, would he be worth $2 to $3 million at the fifth slot for one more year? Yes, you could make a case for him. --Especially because I don't see any of our youngsters breaking out next year and I'm tired of depending on unproven prospects, ...and figuring in the injury bug.
  1. Nash
  2. Zherdev
  3. UFA
  4. Modin
  5. Fedorov, Chimera
  6. Malhotra (peca gone)
  7. Everyone else

Now, if Scottie goes shopping for TWO top UFAs, then I can see why he let Feds go. But he better not throw us just one stinkin bone.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 03-31-2008 at 10:49 AM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:02 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

It's fun to speculate, but let's not pretend we really know anything..

I would never say "But so-and-so fans said this was a fact" and actually have anyone think it held any value at all.

Old
03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
It's fun to have anyone think it held any value at all.
Agree.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
PerfectTommy

Looking at the rankings, it's funny how winning helps gloss over mistakes. Burke got nothing - nothing! - for Bryzgalov, who ends up the cornerstone of another team in the Western Conf. Holland - a genius - gets Bertuzzi AND Kyle Calder at the deadline last year - wow! And Howson? I can't believe they didn't call him out for the Adam McQuaid debacle.
(, just in case)

PerfectTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Ok....your comment got me thinking....
Other than Nash and Zherdev WHO on our team is better than Fedorov next year?

Here is my RANKING OF FORWARDS at the end of this season:
  1. Nash
  2. Zherdev
  3. Fedorov, Chimera
  4. Peca, Malhotra
  5. Everyone else.

Now, assuming Modin returns to form next year, and assuming we get 1 good UFA center in the off season, Feds slips to 5th on the Forward depth chart. So I ask you, would he be worth $2 to $3 million at the fifth slot for one more year? Yes, you could make a case for him. --Especially because I don't see any of our youngsters breaking out next year and I'm tired of depending on unproven prospects, ...and figuring in the injury bug.
  1. Nash
  2. Zherdev
  3. UFA
  4. Modin
  5. Fedorov, Chimera
  6. Malhotra (peca gone)
  7. Everyone else

Now, if Scottie goes shopping for TWO top UFAs, then I can see why he let Feds go. But he better not throw us just one stinkin bone.
Why are you comparing wingers to Federov?

Comparing Feds to Zherdev, Chimera, Modin is fairly pointless. Compare him to guys like Peca, Novotny, and Manny if your hung up on comparing him. None of that crew, including Feds, I would want in a top 6 center spot next year.

The Jackets will likely we looking to add 2 centers this year if they can pull it off.

All of our center, including Feds, was over-extended this year. None of them turned out to be a real top 6 asset.

Old
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
FlaggerX

If they had two top centers available I'd say go for it. I don't see much in UFA's this year.

Personally, I like what Howson has done. Maybe he could have gotten more for Federov had he pulled the string earlier, but what if the Jackets had come out of the all-star break like they started the season? I figure Howson waited to see which way the wind was blowing, and I think he would have kept Federov for a playoff run.

That would have done a lot more for the team than a second round pick. But I doubt if Federov would have brought us there anyway, so we got something for him and dumped a salary he will never really earn. And got something.

Honestly, I don't think the Hockey Press knows we exist, or gives the Jackets the slightest respect. Howson promised us the best team we've ever had, and he and Hitch have delivered.

This time next year we'll be talking about our first round opponent.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

We're still talking about Feds and Foote because this thread is about our GM and his performance this season as related to/by the Hockey News' GM rankings. Argue if you like the merits and relative value of any such publication's ranking - but it is the reason we're talking about Fedorov and Foote.

I think the rankings are pretty damn accurate. I wish there was some way that Feaster could have been ranked a spot or two lower ... but last in the league will just have to suffice.

Old
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
leesmith
Still in.

This is the same publication that ranked Brett Hull as the EIGHTH best GM?!? All credibility is lost right there.

He should be ranked around 21 or 22.

Last edited by leesmith: 03-31-2008 at 09:18 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
We're still talking about Feds and Foote because this thread is about our GM and his performance this season as related to/by the Hockey News' GM rankings. Argue if you like the merits and relative value of any such publication's ranking - but it is the reason we're talking about Fedorov and Foote.

I think the rankings are pretty damn accurate. I wish there was some way that Feaster could have been ranked a spot or two lower ... but last in the league will just have to suffice.
Correct.

Howson has made a few good moves since being anointed GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets but overall he's done little to improve the team thus far imo. As we praise him for picking up Hedja, the no brainer Peca and perhaps Wilson lets not forget about the questionable poor timing of trading Shelley, the comments from Edmonton fans about how happy they are with Glencross and the scoring skill of our new four year man Chimera when he misses the net 90% of the time.

Old
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
This is the same publication that ranked Brett Hull as the EIGHTH best GM?!? All credibility is lost right there.

He should be ranked around 21 or 22.
Yes, well, the HN seems to think the Richards deal was very important ... weighing against Howson and in favor of Hull. It is a little hard to figure how Hull gets much credit for the roster that's played so well in the absence of Boucher (back recently) and Zubov ... but them thars tha breaks. There really wasn't much of anything that happened at the trade deadline ... player movement in the league this season was minimal. Hull might as well be 8th as anyone, frankly.

Old
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Yes, well, the HN seems to think the Richards deal was very important ... weighing against Howson and in favor of Hull. It is a little hard to figure how Hull gets much credit for the roster that's played so well in the absence of Boucher (back recently) and Zubov ... but them thars tha breaks. There really wasn't much of anything that happened at the trade deadline ... player movement in the league this season was minimal. Hull might as well be 8th as anyone, frankly.
Since we're being frank
Frankly, based on recent play, I'm not even sure Dallas got the better end of that deal.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I think whoever the Tampa Bay GM is should be number one for nabbing Mike Freakin' Smith.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I think whoever the Tampa Bay GM is should be number one for nabbing Mike Freakin' Smith.
Jay Feaster screwed himself with those big contracts.

Old
03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Since we're being frank
Frankly, based on recent play, I'm not even sure Dallas got the better end of that deal.
and how good would it look now for us?!?!

Fritsche is injured, Brule has been Brule and Tollefsen is injured....

Old
03-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
So it would've made Howson look brilliant then? right

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
So it would've made Howson look brilliant then? right
That last I checked he has a doctorate in Law and is quite brilliant in worldly affairs, hockey players is another ball of wax though...

Old
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That last I checked he has a doctorate in Law and is quite brilliant in worldly affairs, hockey is another ball of wax though...
He'll be nothing more than a glorified bean counter until Ownership/Priest allow him to spend what it takes to get this team over the hump.