HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec in the playoffs

Old
04-01-2008, 11:18 PM
jordy

vCash: 500
Plekanec in the playoffs

Is anyone else curious to see how plekanec does in the playoffs or not. Last time playoffs rolled around i remember him Zednik and Perezhogin really stepped it up and were one of the few bright spots ( along with Kovalev) for the habs after Koivu went down with that fluke eye injury. This time plekanec will be playing a much bigger role as a #1 center and his role has grown even bigger with the foot injury of Koivu. And with the absence of Koivu if our 2nd line isn't going shutdown lines will be able to key on his line. Im not worried about Kovalev because hes proven to be a real playoff guy. But im not sure and very curious to see how plekanec and Kostitsyn do.
any comments or opinions on this would be appreciated

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
le_sean

I think Plekanec will play well, it's Kostitsyn that worries me on that line.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Stradale

I was harsh on Higgins on all season long but i have a feeling Higgins will dominate in the playoff.

If Plekanec, The Kost bros, Higgins, Latendresse and Ryder play over their head in the playoff, we should be hard to beat. I have no worries for Kovy and Koivu.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Beakermania*

I think the shutdown line thing is overrated for this habs team....

Carbo is gonna try and use Pleks strength on strength against the other team's top line. We don't have a shutdown line and Pleks/Kovy are two of our best PKers so why not. Force the other team on their heels a little bit, make them think about both ends of the ice and not just about getting past BSmoke, Kostopolous, Begin, etc....

It worked well against the sens the last two games.... you saw that when we went away from it in the third period of the last game the Sens big line started getting more chances.

Its obviously tougher to do when you don't have last change though, and theres a few times tonight that the Pizza line got their opportunities, Price was there though.

As for offensively... i think Pleks will be fine. He's proven to be a valuable part of his national team at the World Championships.... Played well in the 03 (i think thats the year they lost the final in 7) playoffs with the bulldogs.... played well in the 05 playoffs.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
I'm really excited to see this line in action. Kovalev is a proven playoff goal scorer, Plekanec is simply Plekanec... an all around great player who I can see making some great plays in the playoffs. Kostitsyn is going to be new to the NHL playoffs and I'd like to see how he handles the pressure.

I'm excited to say the least! It's a young team, I don't know if that will hurt us or benefit us come the playoffs.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
le_sean

I agree with Beaker that top line vs top line for the Habs is key in the playoffs. The line thrives on puck possession and it's worked the last two games against the best line in the league, so I'm sure if the Habs face a weaker team it will work wonders.

Old
04-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Belso

I see him giving the same performance in the play-offs. I can't wait! The team is so young that I'm anxious to see how they perform!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Really? I thought tonight had an air of playoffs, and Kostitsyn came out very strong.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:11 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think Andrei Kostitsyn is our best player in the offensive zone as the lone man in.

He's a beast.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Really? I thought tonight had an air of playoffs, and Kostitsyn came out very strong.
Was gonna say the same thing. He definetely isn't afraid to mix it up when things get physical. We'll see how Plekanec deals with the pressure of facing top pairs and shut down line that will be seriously zoning in on him. He seems to have a pretty big temper and is easily frustrated.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 01:01 AM
guest1467

Kostitsyn is the closest thing to a power forward that we have. I think he will come in huge for the playoffs. Kovalev in the playoffs is going to bring this line to a whole new level.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 01:01 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Well 7 game series is different. He did have a very good game, but we'll wait and see if he can keep up with Kovy and Plex who I think will step up their game.

Old
04-02-2008, 01:08 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Well 7 game series is different. He did have a very good game, but we'll wait and see if he can keep up with Kovy and Plex who I think will step up their game.
I was thinking the same as you for a while that he might vanish come April 9th but he has been more and more willing to go to the net and into the corners as the season has closed out. I really hope he keeps that up because he can be a very frustrating assignment to any defender in the league.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Why?..
Kid gots 26G 53Pts in his first NHL season..How is this making you worried?..

AKost has the skills, he established his role and found his niche. If Plekanec and Kovalev play like they did the whole season, I don't see how AKost would vanish really...

That line is really a trio, not a duo.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 01:41 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why?..
Kid gots 26G 53Pts in his first NHL season..How is this making you worried?..

AKost has the skills, he established his role and found his niche. If Plekanec and Kovalev play like they did the whole season, I don't see how AKost would vanish really...

That line is really a trio, not a duo.
I agree he has been very good. I don't think he'd necessarily disappear, I just think Kovy and Plex will raise their level of play significantly and I don't know if Andrei has that willingness to step it up too. He's never played in the playoffs except for 3 games for Hamilton as a rookie, so we'll see if he can take being tightly checked for 7 games.

Old
04-02-2008, 01:48 AM
1UP

Quote:
I agree he has been very good. I don't think he'd necessarily disappear, I just think Kovy and Plex will raise their level of play significantly and I don't know if Andrei has that willingness to step it up too. He's never played in the playoffs except for 3 games for Hamilton as a rookie, so we'll see if he can take being tightly checked for 7 games.
First of all, 28 games, not 7.

Second, tightly checked? Fine, more room for Kovy or Pleck, and an easier time for Koivu.

Kostitsyn is growing alongside of Koivu, Kovalev, Price. These guys are monsters when the stakes are high. And the kid showed that he can follow and learn, and deliver. Tonight vs Ottawa, he was in the corners, he was rushing back for defensive coverage, he found empty spots against a hard working, physical, desperate Ottawa team.

Gorges worried me until he started playing 25 minutes with Markov. then i noticed he could really rise his game. Bégin is a warrior, Kostopoulos is a warrior. Lapierre was a crutch player in the AHL playoffs last year.

The only 2 players that worry me are Smolinski and Ryder, really.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 01:52 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
First of all, 28 games, not 7.

Second, tightly checked? Fine, more room for Kovy or Pleck, and an easier time for Koivu.

Kostitsyn is growing alongside of Koivu, Kovalev, Price. These guys are monsters when the stakes are high. And the kid showed that he can follow and learn, and deliver. Tonight vs Ottawa, he was in the corners, he was rushing back for defensive coverage, he found empty spots against a hard working, physical, desperate Ottawa team.

Gorges worried me until he started playing 25 minutes with Markov. then i noticed he could really rise his game. Bégin is a warrior, Kostopoulos is a warrior. Lapierre was a crutch player in the AHL playoffs last year.

28 games? Can we take it series by series? Don't get ahead of yourself.

And how does that open Kovy and Plex up? When I say he will get tightly checked, I meant that whole line will.

I agree he played well tonight, but he was piss poor against Toronto (same with the rest of the team mind you). He's young and inexperienced and inconsistency comes with that. I hope he plays well, but I think he's either going to not want the puck and let Kovy do it all or he's going to want to do too much with it and make mistakes. He's going to be nervous, there's no question about it. I just hope he can settle down after a game or two.

Old
04-02-2008, 02:10 AM
ari1160

not worried about him at all. hes going to do just fine as long as kovy plays the way he has been.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:

I think that last year, Smolinski was one of the best Canucks players on the ice (we have to feel fortunate when we see that their best two players during last year's playoffs were Bryan Smolinski and Trevor Linden). And he's been stepping up his game lately. I think Begin's return has a lot to do with this.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think Andrei Kostitsyn is our best player in the offensive zone as the lone man in.

He's a beast.
Kovalev is, then him I'd say.

On a break away, I'd say anyone from that line or Koivu > all on our team

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
the Pizza line.

love that, i don't think i have heard that yet.

KOst is a beast and realizing it. That line is nowhere near my thoughts when i try to worry about something.

Koivu is what we need. We are good to go.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-02-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:35 AM
1UP

Quote:
28 games? Can we take it series by series? Don't get ahead of yourself.

And how does that open Kovy and Plex up? When I say he will get tightly checked, I meant that whole line will.

I agree he played well tonight, but he was piss poor against Toronto (same with the rest of the team mind you). He's young and inexperienced and inconsistency comes with that. I hope he plays well, but I think he's either going to not want the puck and let Kovy do it all or he's going to want to do too much with it and make mistakes. He's going to be nervous, there's no question about it. I just hope he can settle down after a game or two.
28 games, yes. Let's have some optimism, here!

Second, the way that line is playing, it seems like the other team would need 2 guys on each. So, there is the deal.

Either they overcommit to Kovy or Plek and Kostitsyn has the chance to deliver that kind of shot like he did on gerber against Ottawa yesterday, or the opposing team puts all their best defensive players against the Plek line and Koivu steals the show.

Our balanced offensive isn't something we see in teams that are 7-8 position, like the Bruins, Washington or Philadelphia.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Kostitsyn is the closest thing to a power forward that we have. I think he will come in huge for the playoffs. Kovalev in the playoffs is going to bring this line to a whole new level.
I must say, I was very proud of Lats last night when he beat Commodore to the puck and muscled him away. That was a powerforward move and it was a sign of things for the future.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 01:32 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
They aren't very important players, this team can manage without them... I'm more worried about Higgins... and mostly Markov and Hammer, both underachievers in the playoffs and the 2 most important d-men on the team (espacially if komi is still injured).

The offense is filled with character players and gritty SOB

Anyone facing the habs during the playoffs won't like it...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
le_sean

Quote:
28 games, yes. Let's have some optimism, here!

Second, the way that line is playing, it seems like the other team would need 2 guys on each. So, there is the deal.

Either they overcommit to Kovy or Plek and Kostitsyn has the chance to deliver that kind of shot like he did on gerber against Ottawa yesterday, or the opposing team puts all their best defensive players against the Plek line and Koivu steals the show.

Our balanced offensive isn't something we see in teams that are 7-8 position, like the Bruins, Washington or Philadelphia.
Ok but the secondary scoring is not what I'm arguing. I agree this team has great offence as a whole. What I'm arguing is that I have some doubts as to how Andrei Kostitsyn will play in the postseason. I hope he plays well, but being young, having a lot of responsibility and never playing in any playoffs it's hard to believe he will go out there and dominate like the Ottawa game. I hope he proves me wrong.