HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2008, 02:50 PM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
A split is about what I expected with Mankato. I could have done without the shutout Friday, yet it seemed to disturb the team enough to play with some zeal last night. The powerplay came through at last, but as a whole the PP is caca. They gave up yet another shorty last night. Teams must be licking their chops to go on a penalty kill against UW. Chad Rau has had a career best in shorthanders courtesy of Bucky. At least the equally abyssmal penalty kill held last night.

The team needs 3 of the last 4 for a playoff bid. Next series with the Rodents means everything for Bucky and I'm sure MN would love to play the role of spoilers for WI's season.

Old
02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
shadowwolf

Just wondering on the wisconsin fans take on turris. Does he have the talent that toews showed his first year in the wcha?

Old
02-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwolf View Post
Just wondering on the wisconsin fans take on turris. Does he have the talent that toews showed his first year in the wcha?

I believe Toews was a year younger than Turris during is freshman year. Anyway:

Toews>Turris

Old
02-29-2008, 09:41 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwolf View Post
From what I've seen Turris has great vision on the ice, is a great passer and finisher, and can play a physical game. Toews may have been younger his freshman year, but he had a much better suporting cast withe the likes of Stafford, Zajac, Oshie and Duncan around. Toews freshman year team could spread the wealth offensively whereas the Badger's offense usually lives or dies by Turris' production. It's no coincidence that Ben Street is enjoying a career year playing with KT.

Overall I think Toews is a better player. I don't expect Turris to do as well as JT his rookie year in the NHL...but then it's too early to tell. Both players are pretty similar in their collegiate and international careers.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:55 PM
RabidBadger

The nightmare continues for the Huskies against Bucky. I haven't been able to wrap my mind around the fact that every goalie that faces the Badgers this year turns into a superstar and WI has to scrape out 1 goal wins against teams they absurdly outshoot. This has been the trend since the championship game in '06.

The team is in need of a sweep tomorrow in the worst way.

Old
03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Go Badgers!!

Old
03-15-2008, 10:30 PM
RabidBadger

Nice series by SCSU this weekend. I suppose karma is catching up to Bucky with St. Cloud since Wisc. manhandled them in every aspect but the scoreboard.This is likely it for the Badgers baring a REAL favorable glitch in the pairwise. The team never really got it together this year. There just wasn't any real chemistry or leadership to bring the team together. Drewiske and Klubertantz were okay, but when you compare them to Carlson and Joudrey last year they just don't stack up as guys who can really motivate their teamates.

On the positive; the team should pretty well be intact next year. Montreal and Phoenix have an embarasment of riches in prospects so i don't look for McDonagh and Turris to bail. McBain could be gone depending on his intentions. He is property of Carolina and Jim Rutherford has a tendency to haze his college prospects into bailing early...a move that cost him Jack Johnson. Still, the defense should be well off even without him.

Another frustrating year...

Old
03-22-2008, 05:59 PM
RabidBadger

The women fell short in their bid for the 3-peat. Nice job by UMD and congratulations to them for a stellar season. What a run by Mark Johnson and the team, though; they only lost 14 games in 3 years which is amazing in any league.

Old
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM
RabidBadger

No matter what happens tonight this was a great finish to a fairly disapointing season. Great season by DU. Gordy G really pulled them together at the end of the season. They should be stacked again next year and even tougher. Awesome game for Connelly, McBain and Davies last night. Shaner finally played to his potential and Davies reignited his scoring touch. Overall it was good to see someone's name on the score sheet that wasn't Turris or Street. Josh Engel played a good game as well and it'll be nice to send him out on a high note. Overall it was a good showing from a team everyone whined about not deserving to be there.

I'm not counting on a win tonight, but it would be oh so sweet to send the Giouxns faithful home after pinning a loss on them. Good luck to both teams.

Old
03-30-2008, 12:35 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Question for badgers fan, any reason why mcdonagh offensive production has been non-existent in the 2nd half?

Old
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Question for badgers fan, any reason why mcdonagh offensive production has been non-existent in the 2nd half?
The Badgers are a defense first team. Usually d-men with an offensive upside don't put up the points they could when playing in Madison. McDonagh is usually paired with Jamie McBain, who at this point is more creative offensively and is given more freedom to pinch which usually leaved McDonagh as the shutdown guy. They work as a team kind of like Markov and Komisarik on your Habs.

I thought McDonagh might be moved to the 2nd line when Brendan smith went down to spread the offensive wealth from the blueline, but I guess you don't mess with a good thing. OveraLL the team was somewhat in disarray the 2nd half and there were a few guys off their game. I think McDonagh's game yesterday was more indicative of what he is capable of.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:01 AM
RabidBadger

Tonight was disappointing, but not unexpected. I got the sad news of the Giouxns comeback after playing a brutal game myself. Still, I'm pretty happy with the teams' showing in the playoffs this year. Everyone, including myself, thought Mankato should've been in instead of the Badgers, but I really doubt MSU being in would've amounted to anything more than another WCHA 1st round loss. I really doubt they would've pasted DU like that. I'm not looking forward to playing DU next year since they will be stacked and Wisc. has ruined their season 2 years in a row.

If Turris and McBain stay in the fold it should be a strong year for Bucky. This was a young team this year with a lot of upsides. My fan fave is Josh Engel: he played multiple positions, contributed offensively and played balls out every game. The fact he is a 'Sconie kid gets high marks as well.

What a great ending for a otherwise ho-hum year.

Old
04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

hey Badgers. thanks for the F4 advance. now can my Canes have McBain?

seriously. good game. what happened in the 3rd?

Old
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusiouxcanesguy View Post
hey Badgers. thanks for the F4 advance. now can my Canes have McBain?

seriously. good game. what happened in the 3rd?
I wouldn't be shocked to see McBain sign, depending on what his wishes are. If he decides to come back you have to hope Rutherford doesn't pressure him the way he did Jack Johnson. That was a bonehead move.

What happened in the 3rd? A couple posts for Bucky, Phil stood on his head and bailed the Giouxns out, and a veteran team capitalized on their chances against a less experienced team.

What part of NC are you in, anyway?

Old
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Turris gone.
I don't like kids leaving after 1 year.It hurts the league IMO.

Last edited by Dakota Sioux: 04-01-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old
04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
There's a rumor that the Kings are about to sign Davis Drewiske, anyone heard anything else on this? IF they do sign him, what can we expect from him?

Old
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Turris gone.
I don't like kids leaving after 1 year.It hurts the league IMO.
I hear ya, D-Sioux. It's a real bummer for the fans and the schools that invest so heavily in these guys to see them leave early. Even Heater stuck around until his sophomore year was through. Turris was THE main reason for the team's success this year. Still, I doubt he is going to approximate what Heatley has done in the pros.

It really is sad to see top programs hemmoraging their top talent after only having them for a year or so. When you take into account guys like Turris, Toews, Johnson, KO, Stafford, Trotter, blahblahblah leaving early it's like NHL teams that make a trade for a rental player for the playoffs. I'm not a fan of NHL teams poaching these guys from college. I remember going to college in Columbus, OH and watching the Wolverine team with Madden, Morrison, Knuble and Turco lay waste to the hapless Buckeyes. It was obvious all those guys were going to go pro, and all of them finished out their 4 years in college. I'm not sure what has changed since then.

I wonder if it will change the recruiting strategy of some programs. It's nice to have the blue chip guys around for a year or two, but it's the guys like Bina, Burrish, Porter, et. al. that are the keys to long term success for a college team.

As far as Drewiske is concerned, Reaper, he will probably make a good 5th or 6th d-man. He is dependable and always plays hard, but isn't the most skilled guy on the team. Picture Tom Kostopolous as a d-man and you get the picture. DD was a good captain on a team that never really gelled. I wish him and al the seniors the best.

Old
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I wonder if it will change the recruiting strategy of some programs. It's nice to have the blue chip guys around for a year or two, but it's the guys like Bina, Burrish, Porter, et. al. that are the keys to long term success for a college team.
it is near impossible to predict the future though. Erik Johnson when he signed. Was not the projected #1 overall guy. So who knew? Who saw Chucko and Jake Taylor leaving early. I was shocked when Sutter and Skille left early. They had things left to learn. And maybe Wheeler a top 5 pick, might stay all 4 years. Grant Scott who is coming in next year to the gophers. Was a late projected first rounder. Now should no one leave early, he may be asked to play another year else where.

Old
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
it is near impossible to predict the future though. Erik Johnson when he signed. Was not the projected #1 overall guy. So who knew? Who saw Chucko and Jake Taylor leaving early. I was shocked when Sutter and Skille left early. They had things left to learn. And maybe Wheeler a top 5 pick, might stay all 4 years. Grant Scott who is coming in next year to the gophers. Was a late projected first rounder. Now should no one leave early, he may be asked to play another year else where.
True, EJ didn't get thrust into the limelight until after his great performance in the WJC. I was surprised about Skille, too, but I'm glad he's gone because you could tell his heart wasn't in Madison...kinda like KO this year. I agree, some guys it is hard to tell but with guys like Turris and Toews you should be ready to cut your losses after a short stint.

Old
04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked to see McBain sign, depending on what his wishes are. If he decides to come back you have to hope Rutherford doesn't pressure him the way he did Jack Johnson. That was a bonehead move.

What happened in the 3rd? A couple posts for Bucky, Phil stood on his head and bailed the Giouxns out, and a veteran team capitalized on their chances against a less experienced team.

What part of NC are you in, anyway?
I think Kaips goal was Off-sides also!!!!

Old
04-03-2008, 12:07 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
True, EJ didn't get thrust into the limelight until after his great performance in the WJC. I was surprised about Skille, too, but I'm glad he's gone because you could tell his heart wasn't in Madison...kinda like KO this year. I agree, some guys it is hard to tell but with guys like Turris and Toews you should be ready to cut your losses after a short stint.
Vanek won us a tilte as a freshmen. No one ever brings up his name really. He did what he was supposed to do. Had Skille or another top player stayed on any team, to go along with a Turris it makes a huge difference. So what do you do? Kessel was an obvious one and done guy. He and Potulny looked awsome on the PP together. We had a huge winning streak that year.

Old
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
I think Kaips goal was Off-sides also!!!!
I've been hearing that accusation floating around. If so then that's an unfortunate way for a game to turn around. Bottom line though is that Bucky should have had more killer instinct in the 3rd and put them away. Sitting on a lead against one of your biggest rivals is a poor game strategy.

Old
04-03-2008, 04:51 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
I've been hearing that accusation floating around. If so then that's an unfortunate way for a game to turn around. Bottom line though is that Bucky should have had more killer instinct in the 3rd and put them away. Sitting on a lead against one of your biggest rivals is a poor game strategy.
If i had a replay of the game i would confirm, but it wasn't right during the goal, the whole play was off like 10-15 seconds before. Just going by what i saw Live. The Badgers didn't show up in the third at all. It was a total different game. They dominated the first two periods.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Good news Badger fans!

McBain's coming back this fall. You can read about it here:

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/284829

With Gardiner coming in and youngsters like McDonagh and Smith also likely to return, the Badgers blueline is just going to be sick this upcoming season.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
McBain's coming back this fall. You can read about it here:

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/284829

With Gardiner coming in and youngsters like McDonagh and Smith also likely to return, the Badgers blueline is just going to be sick this upcoming season.
The Habs head scout was interviewed recently and said that the organization wanted him to go back to Wisconsin next year, so he should be back from the sounds of it.

I liked what i saw from Smith, so hopefully both play a bigger role next year.

Closed Thread