HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

205th Overall - Evan Smith, G, Victoria

Old
06-27-2015, 12:50 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
205th Overall - Evan Smith, G, Victoria

Evan Smith
Club: Victoria Royals (WHL)
Position: Goaltender
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 174 lbs.
Catches: Left
DOB: 2/27/97 in Parker, CO

Ranked #23 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Goalies)

YearTeamLeagueGPGAASV%
2013-14Pikes Peak Miners 18UNAPHL131.95.921
2014-15Victoria RoyalsWHL44.20.864
2014-15Austin (MN) BruinsNAHL151.73.923

Anatoliy Metter , The Hockey Writers:
Quote:
Evan Smith has played for one of the top three teams in the NAHL this season, and that has definitely helped him get some added exposure.
Standing at 6′ 6″, Smith is a pretty hard target to miss as he is by far the tallest of the five goalies on CSS’s midterm rankings. Off of pure height, Smith can instantly draw comparisons to Anthony Stolarz, but he will have to have a strong performance in the playoffs in order to improve his draft stock.

Splitting time between the WHL (4 GP) and NAHL (15 GP) this year, Smith has compiled a 12-1-2 record with a 1.73 GAA and .923 save percentage for Austin during the regular season, so the playoffs will give an additional measuring stick for a goalie with a relatively small sample size. At 174 lbs., Smith will need to fill out his frame a bit more, but that will come naturally over the next couple of years as he continues maturing.

Considering his height, Smith already has assets that many NHL teams will covet when draft day rolls around. However, it will be up to the goalie (18th overall on CSS midterm rankings) to show that his regular season performance wasn’t just a one-off as the postseason will surely demand a more challenging level of play for a goalie on a top-three team with high expectations.
Kyle Woodlief, USA Today
Quote:
A legit 6-6, Smith started the year with Victoria in the WHL before a knee injury and subsequent surgery sidelined him.

However, the damage to his knee was not as extensive as initially thought, so Smith found a place to play in southern Minnesota. Simply put, he makes it hard for shooters to get a real look at the net. Smith covers so much of the cage whether he's standing or down in the butterfly, that it can be intimidating. With long legs and good athleticism, he can basically take away the lower portion of the net and dare shooters to beat him to the upper corners.

Smith is prone to rebounds and his techniques need plenty of work, but in an age where NHL clubs are looking for bigger and bigger netminders, Smith is likely the biggest goalie in this year's draft class with any actual talent.
Jasper Kozak-Miller, Over The Boards:
Quote:
He’s still got a ways to go as a netminder, but he’s one of the better goaltenders I’ve seen at that age and size combination. Tracks the puck well and plays huge for his size, seals post-to-post with his frame easily and though he could get caught down-and-out, the U18s had a lot of really small, skilled forwards who salivated at a chance to trip a young, big netminder up here. He squares up to the puck and isn’t too ‘loud’ in the net with his movements.”

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2015, 12:58 PM
n00bxQb

He's huge, won a job in training camp to be Vollrath's backup to start the season. I was at the home opener against Kamloops where both goaltenders got absolutely shelled (Vollrath started, was pulled. Smith was put in, was pulled). Neither goalie played well, but the team in front of them played much, much worse.

With only 4 games, that obviously brought his stats down a fair amount.

I can't comment too much because I only saw him play the one time and, obviously, that game wasn't exactly fair to either goaltender.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
captaincaptain

Did he play in 16/17? I can't find any info.

Anyone know where he's playing this coming season?

captaincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
Did he play in 16/17? I can't find any info.

Anyone know where he's playing this coming season?
Looks like he last played in Saskatoon in the WHL in 2015-16. Not good stats. 2-9, 5.45 GAA. Probably hung em up and went another direction. Oh well. Better than I could do.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

http://www.independentsportsnews.com...cks-from-2015/

Quote:
Evan Smith: Selected in the 7th round, 205th overall by the Nashville Predators. In his draft eligible season, Smith played in 4 games for the Victoria Royals with a record of 1-1-0-0. After his second season in the WHL, where he played with the Saskatoon Blades, Smith moved on from hockey to pursue other interests.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Killerjas

Shame he retired, but good that he decided to pursue something else. No one wants to do something you don't like.

Killerjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:41 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
does that mean he only played two games in the season after we drafted him? or that we drafted a guy who had only played 2 games the previous year?

Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
does that mean he only played two games in the season after we drafted him? or that we drafted a guy who had only played 2 games the previous year?
That would be the year prior to being drafted. So he played in four games, and got a decision in two of them and no decision in two.

I don't know anything else, surely there was an injury that prevented him from playing more and he was drafted based on previous season's. But that is 100% speculation on my part.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 12:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
That would be the year prior to being drafted. So he played in four games, and got a decision in two of them and no decision in two.

I don't know anything else, surely there was an injury that prevented him from playing more and he was drafted based on previous season's. But that is 100% speculation on my part.
It sounds like he just got burned out by hockey. It sounds like it may be the beginning of a burnout epidemic in the CHL. I listen to junior podcasts and it seems like every week a player leaves due to burnout. Thing is for every year played in CHL, the club will pay for a year of college. You play 3 years, get burned out, and pay for 3 years while saving for year 4. Not bad of a deal.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote