HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse: Olivier Fortier, Carbo clone?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
  #1
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
La Presse: Olivier Fortier, Carbo clone?

Another great reading about an other of our prospects...
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,025
vCash: 500
Good read


Another Chipchura?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
  #3
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,645
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Good read


Another Chipchura?
More like a gifted Vermette from what i've heard.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
  #4
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Good read


Another Chipchura?
Chipchura=Gainey, will beat you with tenacity
Fortier=Carbo, will beat you with intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
More like a gifted Vermette from what i've heard.
Gifted Vermette? Where do you take those comparisons?( A gifted Vermette is a player like Brin D'Amour)

Vermette is very close to the Selke this year. Fortier is less talented than Vermette can be, but hes an example of consistency.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-02-2008 at 02:12 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
  #5
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
He has more points than i thought he would have, don't know much more about him. Can't wait to read the story.(translation)

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
  #6
NHLcrazy
Registered User
 
NHLcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Qc city
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
We're gonna need 5 lines in the big club for the years to come...

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
  #7
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Chipchura=Gainey, will beat you with tenacity
Fortier=Carbo, will beat you with intelligence

Good comparisons, but I'd add the words "a poor man's version". Gainey and Carbo are hall of famers, two of the greatest defensive players of all time. Chips doesn't have anything like Gainey's skating, while Fortier has a fraction of Carbo's offensive stats in the Q. Gainey was a first round pick despite never putting up big numbers in junior. He was a standout physical specimen on another level than Chips is. Ditto Carbo at draft day vs. Fortier. One was a potential star, the other a potential NHLer.

I like both Fortier and Chipchura very much, and think they're both players who can (and will!) make the NHL and have solid careers, but let's be realistic in what we expect.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:42 AM
  #8
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Good comparisons, but I'd add the words "a poor man's version". Gainey and Carbo are hall of famers, two of the greatest defensive players of all time. Chips doesn't have anything like Gainey's skating, while Fortier has a fraction of Carbo's offensive stats in the Q. Gainey was a first round pick despite never putting up big numbers in junior. He was a standout physical specimen on another level than Chips is. Ditto Carbo at draft day vs. Fortier. One was a potential star, the other a potential NHLer.

I like both Fortier and Chipchura very much, and think they're both players who can (and will!) make the NHL and have solid careers, but let's be realistic in what we expect.
Should have said that, was comparing styles.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
  #9
blueberry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Didn't carbo get like 72 goals or something in the q?

blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
  #10
BLNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
Didn't carbo get like 72 goals or something in the q?
His four junior seasons:


1976-77 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 59 9 20 29 8
1977-78 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 70 28 55 83 60
1978-79 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 72 62 79 141 47
1979-80 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 72 72 110 182

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
  #11
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,469
vCash: 500
My biggest concern as far as Fortier becoming a 2-way is actually being able to translate some offensives in the bigs. Even a 3rd line centerman needs to chip in once in a while. And as many reasons why his production fell significantly, more good reasons than bad, he'll need to show what he can do offensively next year.

He's never going to be in the first 2 lines, still...

I know one thing, as far as prospects are concerned, we may be the deepest team as far as a future 3rd line is concerned....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
  #12
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My biggest concern as far as Fortier becoming a 2-way is actually being able to translate some offensives in the bigs. Even a 3rd line centerman needs to chip in once in a while. And as many reasons why his production fell significantly, more good reasons than bad, he'll need to show what he can do offensively next year.

He's never going to be in the first 2 lines, still...

I know one thing, as far as prospects are concerned, we may be the deepest team as far as a future 3rd line is concerned....
You right, but he's a 3rd round pick too... If he just becomes a NHL regular, it's already great.

He had an average offensive season this year, I'm upset too with this, but he did at less 23 goals...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
  #13
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
You right, but he's a 3rd round pick too... If he just becomes a NHL regular, it's already great.

He had an average offensive season this year, I'm upset too with this, but he did at less 23 goals...
Like it was said, his offensive talents werent really showcased this year. Doesnt mean that he wont be able to pick up playing with better players.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
  #14
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Gifted Vermette? Where do you take those comparisons?( A gifted Vermette is a player like Brin D'Amour)

Vermette is very close to the Selke this year. Fortier is less talented than Vermette can be, but hes an example of consistency.
I don't find Vermette is that good...he gets points because he plays a lot, Ottawa has a weak 2nd line so Fischer and Vermette get a lot of PP time. He's overrated by RDS because he is a Quebecer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
  #15
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't find Vermette is that good...he gets points because he plays a lot, Ottawa has a weak 2nd line so Fischer and Vermette get a lot of PP time. He's overrated by RDS because he is a Quebecer.
Vermette played most of the season with Kelly on the 3rd line averaging 17 minutes a game which is not considered a lot of minutes.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
  #16
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Let's hope Fortier makes it to the NHL but it's not a sure thing. Why do fans see Fortier as another Carbonneau or Chipchura as another Gainey? Only because they don't have to sit in the penalty box for their wild exaggeration.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
  #17
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't find Vermette is that good...he gets points because he plays a lot, Ottawa has a weak 2nd line so Fischer and Vermette get a lot of PP time. He's overrated by RDS because he is a Quebecer.
Maybe so, but thinking Fortier is a more gifted Vermette is quite a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Let's hope Fortier makes it to the NHL but it's not a sure thing. Why do fans see Fortier as another Carbonneau or Chipchura as another Gainey? Only because they don't have to sit in the penalty box for their wild exaggeration.
Like I said I was comparing styles, not upside/quality.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
  #18
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Vermette is very close to the Selke this year.
You saying that because Yvon said it last night? :P Pierre and Yvon have a huge hard on for any player from Quebec.

Not saying he'll never win it but he's not close yet.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
  #19
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No one better to coach him, then.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.