HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Captain Kovalev for 6 weeks.

Old
03-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Mustafa*

vCash: 500
Disrespect for Koivu...

Things you can only read/hear on HFboards... well, RDS talkback too are realy good... and you would'nt even hear that on CKAC. I love this board

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 02:00 AM
le_sean

To me this makes sense. You need a captain in the playoffs, especially with how young this team is.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 03:28 AM
VancouverStingray

Scared at first!

Twice today I've ready the title of this thread and had my stomach sink because I thought it said Kovalev out for 6 weeks!

VancouverStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Habs still have 3 season games to play but yet , Waffledave is looking for THE spacegoat to blame for our playoffs round defeat .
From reading the board, if anyone finds such a creature I'd have thought it was mcphee ?

In any case Kovalev will be a fine captain and we know he cranks it up in the playoffs.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverStingray View Post
Twice today I've ready the title of this thread and had my stomach sink because I thought it said Kovalev out for 6 weeks!

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Slippy13

I REALLY fail to see the disrespect here. Our captain is out, they need to have 3 representatives on the ice so they assign temporary captaincy to the veteran player that has taken the team on his shoulders and lead it into the playoffs on top of the East.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
haha, sorry for that. I would jump off a bridge if Kovy was injured for the playoffs... he's already slowed a bit with his ankle injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
I REALLY fail to see the disrespect here. Our captain is out, they need to have 3 representatives on the ice so they assign temporary captaincy to the veteran player that has taken the team on his shoulders and lead it into the playoffs on top of the East.
Voilà.

TheDamned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
From reading the board, if anyone finds such a creature I'd have thought it was mcphee ?

In any case Kovalev will be a fine captain and we know he cranks it up in the playoffs.
In that I would be a lot worse if I had to post in French only, I always hesitate to poke fun at stuff like this. I trust that Z. can laugh at himself because this one's pretty good.

This may be a good marketing idea. By day, Clover, mcphee family pet, known for jumping fences, destroying gardens. By night, a crusader looking to make the world a better polace for goats of all denominations and creeds and in numerous galaxies, I give you

SpaceGoat

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
mcphee

I don't see that it matters much. If they feel that Kovy should be rewarded for the way he's carried himself since day 1 this year, fine. I don't think it matters in terms of leadership, he's shown a lot of it this year and should continue to. The C doesn't enhance him in the eyes of teammates, I wouldn't think. It tells Kovy that the staff has noticed what he's accomplished this year. Either way, they're the same guys regardless of the letter on the sweater.

Old
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
dutchy29

I dont see the point of this thread, our captains down, the only "I can't wait" phrase should be "I can't wait till Koivu's back"

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
Another brain dead move by the classless Carboneau. Total, total, lack of respect for Saku Koivu. Even though it may be temporary, it breaks the streak of being captain by Koivu. Unbelievable lack of respect. Also, if Kovalev had any respect for Koivu, he would not have taken the "C". By the way, didn't the Habs lose "Captain Kovalev's"(laughable) first game to the lowly Leafs??? The archrivals??? Great leadership Kovy!!!
OMG !

And now they are saying that Sergei Kostitsyn will take Koivu's spot ! Unbeleivable lack of respect !

Carbo will play a rookie , a no-mame that isn't even a center , that doesn't get a single point in the playoffs , he will play that guy to replace our beloved Koivu !!! Total, total, lack of respect for Saku Koivu ! like if anybody could replace him ...

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 04-01-2008 at 11:29 AM.
goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:39 AM
kovalevak27

Before we know if saku is going to play in the playoffs, we shouldn't put anyone as our captain. Remember when Saku got injured against Carolina in the playoffs when we were winning 2-0 in the series, we fell apart and lost the series 4-2, that just shows that Koivu is our leader. I believe that we should wait for the playoffs to come and let koivu keep the "C".

kovalevak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalevak27 View Post
Before we know if saku is going to play in the playoffs, we shouldn't put anyone as our captain. Remember when Saku got injured against Carolina in the playoffs when we were winning 2-0 in the series, we fell apart and lost the series 4-2, that just shows that Koivu is our leader. I believe that we should wait for the playoffs to come and let koivu keep the "C".
That happened in the middle of a series though...that was a big psychological blow - let alone that it was a career threatening injury.

Anyway, I'm not happy Saku is hurt, but we have some good depth to fill in for him until he gets back.

I'm guessing he will be out until game 5 of the first round (depending on how the first couple of games go).

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
hsing

Quote:
That happened in the middle of a series though...that was a big psychological blow - let alone that it was a career threatening injury.
not to mentioan it also happened at the same time they change gerber for cam ward. That helped them too!

hsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Oh man the C looks pretty good on Kovy's jersey last night.

All Hail Kommander and Captain Kovalev

Old
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
In that I would be a lot worse if I had to post in French only, I always hesitate to poke fun at stuff like this. I trust that Z. can laugh at himself because this one's pretty good.

This may be a good marketing idea. By day, Clover, mcphee family pet, known for jumping fences, destroying gardens. By night, a crusader looking to make the world a better polace for goats of all denominations and creeds and in numerous galaxies, I give you

SpaceGoat
Do spacegoats come from goatlenders?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Oh man the C looks pretty good on Kovy's jersey last night.

All Hail Kommander and Captain Kovalev
I admire the way he's turned things around this year. In terms of his overall game, the way he's used other players on the ice, got involved in his own zone, I don't know if he's ever played better. When a guy is challenged like this, personally and professionally, and that's what it was, and he responds this way, he's earned some respect.

If this is the org's way of ackowledging it, I'm all for it.

The team has about 10-12 guys that have the type of personality you look for in a captain. Having Kovalev provide an example this year has been the biggest story of this season in Mtl. It can be difficult to develop leaders when your best player isn't on the same page.

Old
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
PricePkPatch

Out of respect for Koivu, we shouldn't give Kovalev the "C"

We should ask the NHL a special dispensation, and give Kovalev a "K"

Kapitan Kovalev FTW!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Do spacegoats come from goatlenders?
Goatlending is a huge issue within organized crime circles around here. You borrow a goat, then another, thinking it's a short term thing. Then the vig starts to pile up, then a few herders come and break your kneecaps.

What starts out as just re-enacting the traditional Scot's fantasy ends in tragedy.

Old
04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
MJG

Anyone else think he should bust a K on his jersey?

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Bermy

I'm REALLY pumped for this year's playoffs. This is the first time I've seen a great Montreal team. I became a fan in 2000, when mediocrity was always associated with the habs. Even though the Boston series were awesome, this is the first time that I can truly say we actually have a chance this year.

Kovalev as captain should be great also. Although it will be tough to temporarily replace Koivu (Koivu will always be my favorite player), Kovalev is our best option. Seeing Kovalev with the C always gives me goosebumps, I always picture him having a great game when he is captain.

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
Seeing Kovalev with the C always gives me goosebumps, I always picture him having a great game when he is captain.
I'm in the same boat.

Old
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
znk

Quote:
Same...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
OnePoll*

Make it now to 47 powerplay points.

He'll finish first!

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
I'm in the same boat.
I'm sure it gives you more then goosebumps.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote