HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any updates on Chiphura's injury???

Old
04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
just wow.... Wolski already has two 50 points season under his belt and has top 6 potential, while Chipchura is not even in the NHL and who's upside is not anything higher than a good 4th liner / okay 3rd liner...

Enough said...
Post a followup 10 years from now and we'll see, I guess. Your wows mean nothing today. Wolski's 50 points aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The key is whether or not you think Wolski will still get better. I don't think he has the temperament to ever be more than one of those floaty placeholder "top-6" guys, in which case a large number of generic 3rd or even 4th liners are worth just as much to most teams. Of course, at the same time I think Chipchura will be much better than a "generic" 3rd liner too. So it's no contest. And that's even aside from the specifics of the Habs needs, which would tip the balance even more dramatically in Chipchura's favour for us.

You'll see.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Post a followup 10 years from now and we'll see, I guess. Your wows mean nothing today. Wolski's 50 points aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The key is whether or not you think Wolski will still get better. I don't think he has the temperament to ever be more than one of those floaty placeholder "top-6" guys, in which case a large number of generic 3rd or even 4th liners are worth just as much to most teams. Of course, at the same time I think Chipchura will be much better than a "generic" 3rd liner too. So it's no contest. And that's even aside from the specifics of the Habs needs, which would tip the balance even more dramatically in Chipchura's favour for us.

You'll see.
Can't you read ? She said 'enough said'. That means you can't reply and your opinion becomes invalid. Kind of like shotgun, or in my day, shouting 'stamped it'. That trumps everything. Enough said.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Can't you read ? She said 'enough said'. That means you can't reply and your opinion becomes invalid. Kind of like shotgun, or in my day, shouting 'stamped it'. That trumps everything. Enough said.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
They never said Infinity plus 1... I think his comment is still valid

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Bobo420

A lot of people forget that Chipchura was team Canada's captain at the 2006 world juniors, here's what Brent Sutter said a bout him:

"He's a heart and soul guy and when you have a team that is perhaps lacking some experience at the national level, which obviously we are, you need a real strong character and real strong person mentally that's totally committed to the way we want to play. He's probably a huge reflection of myself."

I'll take Chipchura over Wolski any day of the week.

Bobo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisaurus View Post
They never said Infinity plus 1... I think his comment is still valid
My brother would actually yell. 'Stamped it, touched double black.' As if I'd go, 'oh well, if you touched double black, then of course, the last fudgsicle is rightfully yours.' Funny, how he'd cry and go, 'but I stamped it', after I'd smacked him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
A lot of people forget that Chipchura was team Canada's captain at the 2006 world juniors, here's what Brent Sutter said a bout him:

"He's a heart and soul guy and when you have a team that is perhaps lacking some experience at the national level, which obviously we are, you need a real strong character and real strong person mentally that's totally committed to the way we want to play. He's probably a huge reflection of myself."

I won't argue Chip vs. Wolski as I don't know eneough about Wolski. The Sutter clan is a good example. There were players that put up better numbers all over the league but few with more value in terms of winning.

Look at a guy like Prospal, he can give you from 30 to 80 points depending on who he plays with. Would you take him over Higgins ? I want the guy who'll win that battle late in a game, get a puck out of your end, kill a penalty, create scoring chances with tenacity. I'll take that quality over soft offesne anyday.

Chipchura still has to show he can be that guy, but I'm confident.

Who would you rather have , Stillman or Pahlsson ? It depends on your team, Mtl alreadu has Stillman types, they need what Chipchura projects to be.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Roulin

Seems to me a lot of folks on this board have an outdated perception of what a 3rd line consists of. The important thing about Chipchura, IMO, is his potential to succeed against the best - the Sundins, Thorntons and Crosbys of the league. This wouldn't limit him to the 3rd line, checking role that many think it would. Koivu is the Habs' shutdown center, but he gets plenty of PP time, and plays with guys who can put the puck in the net. If a line like Higgins-Chip-Lapierre can take over that role in the future, leaving the soft minutes for the AKosts of the team, while putting up points on the second PP unit, and taking important d-zone faceoffs, he'll be plenty valuable.

As for the Wolski comparison - if Chipchura is effective in his role, I would say it just comes down to team needs, although Wolski has given himself a head start. Wolski has already proven himself as an effective soft minute point producer, while Chip hasn't been able to keep his head above water as an NHL difference maker yet.

Edit: wow, I rambled so much, I lost track of my point. Yikes.

Point being, teams generally don't use their 3rd line to shut down the opposition's top line anymore. The NHL has shifted to power on power matchups. Pahlsson and Madden are the only exceptions off the top of my head. The Habs have an advantage, in that they have enough depth to get their top offensive line away from the opposition's best. I would say Chip's potential is a 2nd line center that plays against the opposition's top offensive line, allowing this strategy to continue.

Last edited by Roulin: 04-02-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:10 PM
zurg999

Quote:
I won't argue Chip vs. Wolski as I don't know eneough about Wolski. The Sutter clan is a good example. There were players that put up better numbers all over the league but few with more value in terms of winning.
The part in bold is the part I like, 'nough said.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Who cares about Wolski when you could have had Mike Green....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post

Another comment in praise of Chipchura:

Don Lever said after he was sent down by the Habs this year that if Kyle had started the year with the Dogs, he would have been named captain instead of Baines. Not bad for a second year player on a team with a whole bunch of 'leader' types.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Bullsmith

I understand Chipchura's limitations but IMO extremely solid character guys with outstanding hockey sense and a big frame are just the kind of ingredients teams need to have in the mix. Also, they're huge value for the dollar in the salary cap world, since their stats aren't generally that impressive. If Wolski's going to make double the salary, that's a factor in being happy with Chips, assuming he makes the NHL as a regular.

Not many guys are captain of WJC championship teams. When they're named by a Sutter, I consider them vetted and endorsed and more than likely to succeed. Just like Dale Hunter's assessment of Sergei Kostitsyn made me very confident he'd make it in the NHL, Sutter's ringing endorsements of Chipchura make me very glad to have him on the team. Is he going to be a star, no. Is he going to win hockey games, I think so.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Who cares about Wolski when you could have had Mike Green....
10 years from now I'll be patting myself so hard on the back that I'll need a chiropractor. Green was my guy back when I assumed Chipchura would be gone looooooooong before we picked.

Further proof that Wolski truly does suck. Enough said.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote