HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

Old
06-27-2017, 10:10 AM
exHornet

vCash: 500
Kessel's cap hit for Pittsburgh is $6.8 million. Toronto retained $1.2 million. That extra $2 million last year was a portion of his signing bonus spread out; Toronto paid it, I assume, since it didn't come out of the Pens' cap figures.

exHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I keep hearing the guys on NHL radio talking about the Oshie contract. I am not listening for 8 hours a day.

It seems like so many teams get out from their big contracts without issue and barely a mention.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Sam Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good post. Only Pitt could take on a contract like Kessels and still win a cup. And then get 5.75 cap relief from our former GM for a freaking 2nd rounder.

Meanwhile, we can barely fill out our roster after inking Oshie to 5.75. But I am glad he is back. Our lineup without him loses a lot of skill effort and physical play.
Well when you can stash Dupuis' 3.75 on IR all season that helps.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 09:59 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Well when you can stash Dupuis' 3.75 on IR all season that helps.
And, apparently them having a great captain is key, if you listened to Barry on draft day.

Old
06-28-2017, 10:05 PM
GreatEight

I am glad to see Oshie back. The contract is a long one for sure. But after a season of watching many key players seem to phone in games, I like Oshie extending. He gave 100% night in and night out.

GreatEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2017, 07:12 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEight View Post
I am glad to see Oshie back. The contract is a long one for sure. But after season(S) of watching many key players seem to phone in games, I like Oshie extending. He gave 100% night in and night out.
Spot on post, but I fixed it a little. Phoning in games doesn't get much press because no one likes to talk about it, but it is a problem in the modern game and hurts the entertainment value.

Oshie carried me entertainmentally through much of the regular season and I am glad to see him get rewarded for it.

Old
06-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Skrudland2Lomakin

I went back and review the thread on the main boards when we got Oshie for Brouwer, Copley, 3rd. Can you believe people were saying that was an apples for apples trade and that Oshie and Brouwer are essentially the same player?

I know it will never happen, but I'd put the C on Oshie, the guy personifies heart. There was a play in the playoffs when Shattenkirk gave up a brutal turn over at the blue line and every just watched as Pitt walked in to the offensive zone... everyone except Oshie who arguably came from the furthest point of the ice to make a play.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2017, 07:59 AM
CaptainKonoForever

Should have kept Williams and avoided this albatross of a contract.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2017, 09:08 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

The contract length is the concern. The dollar amount seems reasonable.

People worry about Oshie's lack of speed, but he is faster than anyone that makes ~ the same amount that he does on our team, because he tries.

Yep Skrud, I remember that play. Everyone else doing what they did in the regular season, pretending to be gassed. Forgetting it's the playoffs, out of habit. Oshie to the rescue. I too would like to see him named Captain, but it may need to be done by Ovi. Or, by our next coach. I feel like Ovi just carries too much weight.... err... on his shoulders. It does not have to be publicly humiliating. A new coach could say I want to decide who my C is.

Old
06-29-2017, 09:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post
I went back and review the thread on the main boards when we got Oshie for Brouwer, Copley, 3rd. Can you believe people were saying that was an apples for apples trade and that Oshie and Brouwer are essentially the same player?.
Sure. Brouwer scored 18-19(in 47 games), 25 and 21 in 4 seasons with the Caps. Oshie scored 19, 7, 21, 19 and was on the outs with his coach. On outsider could easily see Oshie and the leaderz of men as the same cat of player

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2017, 09:48 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Sure. Brouwer scored 18-19(in 47 games), 25 and 21 in 4 seasons with the Caps. Oshie scored 19, 7, 21, 19 and was on the outs with his coach. On outsider could easily see Oshie and the leaderz of men as the same cat of player
That's the problem with the numbers game or statistics, they just don't tell the whole story. You got your analytic folks who site Corsi and Fenwick and whatever else may be the flavor of the month for tracking Hockey players and believe that's the book on a player. Then you have your Alan May who says he's not an analytic person but rather an eye person, he goes on what he sees and not what he reads. I'm in the Alan May camp. I see too many here spouting goals and assists as defining a player and not seeing if the player goes all out at both ends of the ice, gets back quickly on defense, plays the 200 foot game, battles along the boards and in the corners and willing to play in close quarters. I "saw" Oshie do all of those things this past season. Can't say the same about some other forwards.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote