HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Beer Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
ronnie84

vCash: 500
The Beer Thread

I just picked up a case of their seasonal Blackout Stout, poured myself one a few minutes ago and I must say it's probably the only Russian Imperial Stout that you could session, very drinkable with strong chocolate, roasted tones. It's not my favorite style of beer but I wanted to try it either way...freshness date of 08/02/08 by the way. At 9% ABV, it's hidden pretty well.

I've had on one or several occasions; Blackout Stout, Conway's Irish Ale, Burning River, Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Christmas Ale and Elliot Ness.

If I were to pick a favorite, I'd choose the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, mainly because it's probably my favorite style of beer, but Dortmunder Gold is pretty hard to beat, too.

Anyway, their beers are a little pricey (understandably so), but since their beers are sold predominately in this region, I was wondering how many here enjoy their beers and which is your favorite?

Last edited by DJ Spinoza: 04-20-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old
04-02-2008, 05:02 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie84 View Post
I just picked up a case of their seasonal Blackout Stout, poured myself one a few minutes ago and I must say it's probably the only Russian Imperial Stout that you could session, very drinkable with strong chocolate, roasted tones. It's not my favorite style of beer but I wanted to try it either way...freshness date of 08/02/08 by the way. At 9% ABV, it's hidden pretty well.

I've had on one or several occasions; Blackout Stout, Conway's Irish Ale, Burning River, Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Christmas Ale and Elliot Ness.

If I were to pick a favorite, I'd choose the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, mainly because it's probably my favorite style of beer, but Dortmunder Gold is pretty hard to beat, too.

Anyway, their beers are a little pricey (understandably so), but since their beers are sold predominately in this region, I was wondering how many here enjoy their beers and which is your favorite?
Blackout Stout is my favorite out of all of them, but I'm not a huge fan of this brewery. I think I've had all their beers and I like the X-Mas and the Burning River. They don't create very hoppy beers which is what I prefer. Plus it's from Cleveland, so yeah. If your from PA and enjoy good brew try some Troegs (Harrisburg) brewery stuff. I feel it's a better brewery IMO and I think it's cheaper than Great Lakes.

PS: Fat Heads in South Side has Blackout on tap...

Last edited by DockEllisExperience: 04-02-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old
04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Blackout Stout is my favorite out of all of them, but I'm not a huge fan of this brewery. They don't create very hoppy beers which is what I prefer. Plus it's from Cleveland, so yeah. If your from PA and enjoy good brew try some Troegs brewery stuff. I haven't had a bad brew from there.
I'm with you when it comes to "hoppy" beers. Have you tried any of:

Stone's Arrogant *******
Bell's Hopslam
Boulder's Hazed and Infused

I love beer with A LOT of hops and I've yet to find any with more hops than those three. Do you know of any that are "better"?

Old
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post

Stone's Arrogant *******
Bell's Hopslam

I love beer with A LOT of hops and I've yet to find any with more hops than those three. Do you know of any that are "better"?
I know I've had the Stone's and Bell's and relatively sure on the third. Victory Hop Wallop comes to mind. Green Flash Imperial Ale also does. The Green Flash IPA is also incredible hoppy. As you probably already know, IPA's and Imperials are typically more hoppy.

I also just brewed up a batch with about 12 oz. of hops total so it should be quite tasty...

Old
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
I know I've had the Stone's and Bell's and relatively sure on the third. Victory Hop Wallop comes to mind. Green Flash Imperial Ale also does. The Green Flash IPA is also incredible hoppy. As you probably already know, IPA's and Imperials are typically more hoppy.
Yeah, IPAs are generally my favorite (although I love porters as well), but I do enjoy some others that aren't technically IPAs but go for a big time hop impact. I haven't had the ones you mention, although I have seen the Victory one and have meant to try it. I've got a pretty good beer store near my house that sells about 1,000 different bottles; I'll have to see if they have the other ones that you mention. I really miss the Stone Arrogant *******. We can't get that down here. They don't sell in the "south".

Old
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
DockEllisExperience

Also, Troegs Nugget Nectar is probably my favorite beer maybe ever that I guarantee you will enjoy Beeks.

Love the "south" comment for FLA... haha. People tend not to appreciate beer a whole lot in the South. Just my impressions from the Charleston, SC area and knowing a lot of people from school from the South.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
WVP

Quote:
Since my college days are over, I'm afraid 9% would lead to a pretty short session for me.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Also, Troegs Nugget Nectar is probably my favorite beer maybe ever that I guarantee you will enjoy Beeks.

Love the "south" comment for FLA... haha. People tend not to appreciate beer a whole lot in the South. Just my impressions from the Charleston, SC area and knowing a lot of people from school from the South.
Yes, the "south" tends to have quite an affinity for Bud Light and Busch. Although those do have a place; just not a place in my refrigerator. I'm surprised you say that about Charleston though. I spent several weeks there on business a couple of years ago and found some pretty good beer bars there. Maybe things have changed. But yes, in general, every bar down is considered a good beer bar essentially if they sell Sam Adams. It's really quite sad. The one place that I found that sells all the different bottles is like crack for me. I love that place. It reminds me a lot of the place I used to go in Regent Square when we lived in Pittsburgh called D's Six Packs & Dogz (http://www.regentsquare.net/ds6pax.html) (they had about 900 bottles if I remember correctly). That place was awesome because it was actually a bar, so you could try all of their deliciously awesome beers and eat (the place down here is just a store). It was great.

I love this topic. Thanks for the heads up on the Troegs, I'll have to try that the next time I go to the store.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
ronnie84

Haven't tried the other beers mentioned in this thread, although I always look at the stuff from Victory when purchasing beer but always talk myself out of it. Their dark lager sounds pretty appeasing to me.

Anyway, from Cleveland it is, I still think they make very good beers. I had a chance to visit their pub/brewery a year or so ago and was thoroughly impressed. I tried their Great Lakes Monster (I think it's an IPA?), pub exclusive that they're apparently going to be releasing to the public on the 7th this month, very good beer.

I've become a huge beer snob over the last couple years and I can hardly even tolerate drinking something like Coors or Miller anymore. I prefer Porters, Black & Tans, Irish Ales and good lagers. When I'm broke I typically buy Yuengling Black & Tan ($15 a case, pretty solid beer in my opinion). Big fan of the Great Lakes stuff, though. I also like the Railbender Ale that Erie Brewing puts out.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Haven't tried the other beers mentioned in this thread, although I always look at the stuff from Victory when purchasing beer but always talk myself out of it. Their dark lager sounds pretty appeasing to me.

Anyway, from Cleveland it is, I still think they make very good beers. I had a chance to visit their pub/brewery a year or so ago and was thoroughly impressed. I tried their Great Lakes Monster (I think it's an IPA?), pub exclusive that they're apparently going to be releasing to the public on the 7th this month, very good beer.

I've become a huge beer snob over the last couple years and I can hardly even tolerate drinking something like Coors or Miller anymore. I prefer Porters, Black & Tans, Irish Ales and good lagers. When I'm broke I typically buy Yuengling Black & Tan ($15 a case, pretty solid beer in my opinion). Big fan of the Great Lakes stuff, though. I also like the Railbender Ale that Erie Brewing puts out.
Sorry... I didn't mean to take your post OT. I really appreciate you starting this thread, as it's always nice to be able to share good beers with others. You mentioned the Yuengling Black & Tan... have you tried their porter? It's actually pretty darn good and it's cheaper than the black & tan if I remember correctly. Definitely a good fill in when money is tight.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Sorry

Quote:

Stone's Arrogant *******
Bell's Hopslam

Try Victory Hop Devil or the Dogfish 60 min IPA. Awesome beers if you like the hops.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
ronnie84

I don't care, actually it's good to discuss beers with people that aren't MGD, Coors or Budweiser, so fire away. I'd love to share suggestions on future purchases, too.

Anyway, I love their porter, too. A bar in this area has their porter on tap. The best Black & Tan I've had was a Pocono Black & Tan a buddy of mine brought back from Wilkes-Barre, very good beer with heavy chocolate tones.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:35 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Yes, the "south" tends to have quite an affinity for Bud Light and Busch. Although those do have a place; just not a place in my refrigerator. I'm surprised you say that about Charleston though. I spent several weeks there on business a couple of years ago and found some pretty good beer bars there. Maybe things have changed. But yes, in general, every bar down is considered a good beer bar essentially if they sell Sam Adams. It's really quite sad. The one place that I found that sells all the different bottles is like crack for me. I love that place. It reminds me a lot of the place I used to go in Regent Square when we lived in Pittsburgh called D's Six Packs & Dogz (http://www.regentsquare.net/ds6pax.html) (they had about 900 bottles if I remember correctly). That place was awesome because it was actually a bar, so you could try all of their deliciously awesome beers and eat (the place down here is just a store). It was great.

I love this topic. Thanks for the heads up on the Troegs, I'll have to try that the next time I go to the store.
Anytime you want some suggestions just drop me a PM. I think I've had quite a few. My dad got me into good beer at a young age so that's pretty much what I've grown up on. He also goes to Germany quite a bit for business and brings me back some of that. If you go to beeradovcate.com you can sign up for their message board and people actually trade beer from different regions. I haven't tried it but who knows.

Quote:

I'm def interested in this Lake Monster. Great name... I'm not calling it a bad brewery, but like I said those are my tastes. All my friends that are real into beer like Great Lakes a lot.

I think we need to get the mods to put a beer sticky up... johnniewalker and I had a pretty long discussion on another thread on beer. I love talking beer, trying new beer and brew a lot of beer with my little home brewery. It's probably my biggest hobby at this point haha. Well that and video games.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:36 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck Gar View Post
Try Victory Hop Devil or the Dogfish 60 min IPA. Awesome beers if you like the hops.
I prefer 90 min, the 120 will knock your socks off. It's almost too much... haha

Old
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Sorry

Quote:
I prefer 90 min, the 120 will knock your socks off. It's almost too much... haha
Almost? I ordered one on my birthday and had to pass it around the table it was so strong. A sip from that is like drinking an entire normal beer.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
ronnie84

I visit beeradvocate.com quite frequently and am registered, excellent website. Haven't posted anything, though.

Not sure that you'll like the Lake Erie Monster, though, DockEllis, it's got more malt presence that sort of hides the hops in a way.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Anytime you want some suggestions just drop me a PM. I think I've had quite a few. My dad got me into good beer at a young age so that's pretty much what I've grown up on. He also goes to Germany quite a bit for business and brings me back some of that. If you go to beeradovcate.com you can sign up for their message board and people actually trade beer from different regions. I haven't tried it but who knows.
Same here. A good friend of mine and I became "beer snobs" in college and it's stuck ever since. It's actually been quite easy to keep track of the recent good ones I've had as my wife suggested (I kid you not) that we start a beer bottle collection. I had an awesome one in college (over 400 bottles), but I left it my fraternity house figuring that no woman would ever find it cool (yes, that was a dumbass move). So anyway, it's easy now every time I need to think of a good one that I've had, because I can just go look at the collection and remember which ones of which type I liked and didn't. Much easier than having to remember. Haha.

Quote:
I think we need to get the mods to put a beer sticky up... johnniewalker and I had a pretty long discussion on another thread on beer. I love talking beer, trying new beer and brew a lot of beer with my little home brewery. It's probably my biggest hobby at this point haha. Well that and video games.
I agree with the sticky idea. This isn't the first time I've had this discussion here either. How do we go about making that happen?

Old
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
WVP

The Burgh's Lounge we have stickied would probably be best for this. I can talk about good beer and hockey all day.

What's in everyone's fridge right now?

Old
04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
DockEllisExperience

Homebrew (IPA, Belgian Triple and my imperial amber will be done shortly...) and nugget nectar and molson...

Old
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
johnniewalker

I've got hoegaarden and some of the great lakes conway's irish stout. I keep meaning to pick something else up. I try to keep beers around that my girlfriend would like, and also something that guests would dig. As such, it's usually a wheat beer, or some magic hat #9.

Old
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
ronnie84

As said, Blackout Stout and actually a few Coors Lights from a 12 pack, which were my brothers (it's basically the only beer he drinks - he left them here before returning to base - USMC).

By the way, I drank some Guinness Extra Stout for the first time over the weekend and was thoroughly impressed, much better than the Draught in my opinion.

Old
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
WVP

Quote:
Homebrew (IPA, Belgian Triple and my imperial amber will be done shortly...) and nugget nectar and molson...
That imperial amber sounds pretty intriguing.

A got 1-2 of a bunch of stuff right now:

Brooklyn Brewery's Brown Ale - haven't tried it yet
Dogfish's India Brown Ale - one of my all time favorites
Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale - very different IPA, too different for me probably
Lagunita's IPA - pretty good, not spectacular
Lake Tahoe Hefeweizen - eh, unspectacular
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout - stouts are my favorite, this is above average IMO
Stoudt's Triple - not a fan, this'll be in my fridge for a while

Old
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
By the way, I drank some Guinness Extra Stout for the first time over the weekend and was thoroughly impressed, much better than the Draught in my opinion.
throughly agree

Old
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
WVP

Quote:
As said, Blackout Stout and actually a few Coors Lights from a 12 pack, which were my brothers (it's basically the only beer he drinks - he left them here before returning to base - USMC).

Guinness is a beer lovers ultimate back up plan. You go to some place with a crappy offering, you can usually fall back on a Guinness.

Old
04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
johnniewalker

With regard to Great Lakes brewery, I really like their Eliot Ness. I always get a glass when I'm at Fat Heads. It's got a really smooth flavor and it's about 6%, so it'll get you going too.

I got their Conway's Irish in an attempt to find a beer that would be similar to Kilkenny Irish Ale that my father once had in Montreal and that he loved. Regrettably, Diageo doesn't import that into the US, allegedly because of an agreement with Coors to keep it from competing with Killian's Irish Red.

I've also had the Blackout before and really enjoyed it. I do like a beer to have a good bit of weight to it, so I like something in the 8-9% vicinity.

One fantastic brewery whose beers I really enjoy is the French Canadian brewery Unibroue. Their beers are all in french, named after things related to the church. They have some really sweet label art.

For example:
Maudite (8%) "Damned" is a strong red ale.
La Fin Du Monde (9%) "The End of the World" is a golden flavorful ale.
Trois Pistoles (9%) "Three Pistols" is a dark, malty ale.
Blanche de Chambly (5%) is a standard wheat.
Don de Dieu (9%) is a wheat triple.

Closed Thread