HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

my biggest problem

Old
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 500
my biggest problem

Stopping on blades has to be the hardest thing for me. I when stopping like you do on ice, I always seem to fall....any help?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:11 AM
PIMking

practice practice practice. its completely different from any thing you probably done in any other sports.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Hold on to the boards for practice.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:33 AM
the_speedster

on ice you point your toes in order to begin the stopping motion but on blades its way different... its' been a while since I've rollerbladed but I remember the main difference was that you had to "barely" pick up your skates and physically turn them to create the slide (which in ice skates would've made you fall over by catching the outer edge).

skate forward to gather momentum.... relax... then adjust your weight so you're seeming to make a sharp turn.. bear down and slide with your wheels at an angle...

I'd try this on a "sport court" (if they still have those) cause it mimicked the lower friction of ice)

good luck

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I just do a T stop...actually looks more like a J or L

put one foot behind the other perpendicularly with the back foot's toes dragging

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Thanks guys. I'll keep practicing and let you know how I do!

Old
03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
PIMking

Just crush the guy in front of you into the boards for the stop lol jk. my hardest thing in roller hockey is getting use to stopping backwards compared to the ice. the first time that i wasnt paying attention about it i almost did a back flip

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Stopping while rollerblading backwards is quite an exercise in difficulty. It took me months to learn it properly.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I am giving you guys an update. I can stop at full speed on blades now and very slowly going backwards. thanks for the help.

Old
04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Stopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Stopping on blades has to be the hardest thing for me. I when stopping like you do on ice, I always seem to fall....any help?

Stopping is a matter of shifting a low center of gravity to a high center of gravity and then shifting back to a low center of gravity. Let me explain...

When you skate, you should have a 45 degree knee bend. This is going to give you a low center of gravity. As you get readly to stop, you simply stand up right, causing the weight to shift from your knees to your chest, this moves the center of gravity to shift to your chest as well.

At the point that you are in the process of standing, you want to turn your skates perpendicular to the direction you are going. Once you have made the turn, bend your knees to reduce the risk of falling, thus lowering that high center of gravity back down to your knees.

The faster you move that higher center of gravity back down towards your knees, the faster you will stop! Don't forget to lean back a little as you stop to help compensate for weight moving forward.

Headcoach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 05:22 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
When you skate, you should have a 45 degree knee bend.
I think you mean 90 degree.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
I think you mean 90 degree.

no, 90 would place you in a seated position and have your weight outside your center of gravity. You would FALL OVER BACKWARDS. 90 comes into play with the driving leg when on the inside edge of your skate or in a gliding curve. IT applies to both ice and roller.

there are about 20 different methods/techniques for stopping, from begginer to advanced skill levels. Here is a link to a description of most. What I dont see in there is a stick stop....

http://web.skatefaq.com:81/stopping.html#powerslide

Last edited by MikeD: 04-03-2008 at 07:05 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 02:18 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
no, 90 would place you in a seated position and have your weight outside your center of gravity. You would FALL OVER BACKWARDS. 90 comes into play with the driving leg when on the inside edge of your skate or in a gliding curve. IT applies to both ice and roller.

there are about 20 different methods/techniques for stopping, from begginer to advanced skill levels. Here is a link to a description of most. What I dont see in there is a stick stop....

http://web.skatefaq.com:81/stopping.html#powerslide
I'm talking about the angle created at the knee as 90 degrees.

Then the angle of the ankle is 45 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk 13 View Post
fail
You have nothing useful to add to this. Can it, junior.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Keetz

Ever been down hill skiing? its just like that. Most important thing is to have no fear. and dig those edges in.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
I'm talking about the angle created at the knee as 90 degrees.
Well, this is true. However, greater knee bend will come into play the faster you go and the more stablility you want.

I was under the impression that "Stemp" was a beginner. Generally, we teach kids how to stop in mulitple phases.

The whole concept of teaching him really doesn't matter about how deep you bend your knees, as it is more important to teach him (kids as well) about weight transfer. That was the purpose of of me adding to the thread.

Once, you teach kids the idea of weight transfer, then they can get a better understanding of how to stop.

As you know, so kids learn differently from other kids. Some times, kids just want it broken down. I guess it's just a matter of coaching style.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

No, I've been playing hockey for quite a while, but every time I tried to stop, my legs would give out or my skates would slide out from underneath me.

Old
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
MikeD

you might consider a softer grade wheel for the surface your playing on. It will give you more grip. you will go through the wheels quicker but....

Also, if you have removed and cleaned your bearings and put the wheels back in, did you swithc them? many wheels have two different radius. The inside being larger than the outside. IF you have them reversed you will not get the right grip. Normally the wheels logo/ labeling will be to the outside of the skate.

Understood, Del. The problem is that in stopping, it is rare to see a player get that much knee bend. 45 makes it easy to get both feet near each other, stay inside your center of gravity and perform the weight transfer. As the stop is executed, your going to bend downward to absorb some of the speed and then upward to weight shift and then bend downward again to again take momentum out. IT is kind of like the reaction you get from your front shocks on a vehicle when you brake. The front drops, rebounds and then drops back downward at the final stop. Its what cops are trained to look for in determining of you have come to a "complete" stop at a stop sign.

Last edited by MikeD: 04-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote