HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jokinen Wants To Stay, Willing To Give Up Captaincy

Old
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Pukboy5kroner

vCash: 500
I don't see anyone else stepping up or taking a leadership position. Besides Vokoun, nobody on the team seems to take accountability for where they ended up in the standings. I don't see any other player on this team who can inspire the rest of the players to compete, game in and game out.

I just don't see JM going out and signing Campbell or any other very good to great free agents, so talking about one of them wearing the C is just fantasy hockey stuff at this point.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I say don't designate a captain next year.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I was kind of hoping you'd give Olli some credit for agreeing to do what you've wanted to hear from him for a long while now. Isn't there anything he can say or do that will satisfy?
actually, i meant to post something along those lines. took me a bit to get to it because, well, for reasons that should be obvious, i wasn't seeing the link at the top of the thread and didn't feel like logging out at the time just to see it. i really got a warm, fuzzy feeling reading that quote, though. it does sound like he wants to stay and i can appreciate that. i also appreciated his comments earlier in the year about moving to wing. hey - the guys a very, very good scorer and if we can rework the environment so that he can be effective and not deal with the captaincy (which i don't think he's suited for), i'm all for keeping him. i still think there are some character/personality defects there though and the stuff about the golf tournament, the potential influence of that kind of subversion (which could just be the tip of the iceberg) really worries me. that's something JM, if he's around, has to think about.

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. I read more into Olli's admission that he was "absolutely" willing to give up the C, than to his condition that "If there's somebody else who's capable of doing a better job, then I don't have any issues giving it to somebody else." I could argue further that Olli's condition statement shows that he cares enough to want to make sure there's a BETTER captain to take his place. In other words, he admits he's not the best in general, but the team has to go out and get someone better. I could argue that he'd be happy to see that. But I'm speculating (duh).

The really INTERESTING thing is though that Olli would say anything at all. Was it because he's trying to stay in Florida and has some actual fear of being traded? Or is he trying to make amends with JM - by making the admission, and mentioning that it's the coach's and management's decision? Or is he trying to slight JM by not mentioning him by name, only be the generic position, hoping there'll be someone else making decisions?
well, we could go round and round on this. my take (an extension of the interpretation i offered last week) would be that he realized that he made a big mistake saying the things he said last week (both in terms of the power struggle and wrt losing the fans' support) and felt he had to supplicate, in a sense, to get back into our good graces (and cohen's and even, perhaps JM's).

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I say don't designate a captain next year.
not a bad idea at all.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
i think whoever is the next captain should have captain experience and winning on the Nhl level (Not Necessarily Cup Final Experience) in his background. That eliminates anybody currently on the roster.

So possible free agents with that background and have a real chance at changing teams (and I took only a quick glance at the UFA list so undoubtably I missed a few):

Holik, Bobby
Peca, Mike
Smith, Jason
Weight, Doug
Ralston, Brian
Naslund, Markus

And of course you could go the trade route which may revive the Jokinen-Marleau rumors (I hope not)

Of that group Ralston would be my pick. Kill two birds with one stone. Add an experienced Captain who is also a scorer. Would be looking for a BIG RAISE over his current $2.42 million. Likely $5+mil.
For once, I absolutely agree with you. I'd love to have Ralston here. The rest don't do much for me either.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 05:32 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I've been wanting ROlston on this team for quite a while now. I think he could be very good for this team.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Ok, fair enough. I read more into Olli's admission that he was "absolutely" willing to give up the C, than to his condition that "If there's somebody else who's capable of doing a better job, then I don't have any issues giving it to somebody else." I could argue further that Olli's condition statement shows that he cares enough to want to make sure there's a BETTER captain to take his place. In other words, he admits he's not the best in general, but the team has to go out and get someone better. I could argue that he'd be happy to see that. But I'm speculating (duh).
I got the same impression from his statements. Seems like a subtle challenge to ownership & management to bring in top line talent that can also provide fresh leadership.

In any case, I'm glad Olli vocalized his willingness to relinquish the captaincy. It sure diffuses the whole elephant in the room tension this team has struggled with this season.

ratmanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I've been wanting ROlston on this team for quite a while now. I think he could be very good for this team.
I disagree. I prefer Ralston, although his linemate Purina would be fine as well.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Jason Smith is a great player. I'd rather have the captain come from within our core, but unfortunately Weiss is still a few years away.

This is nice to hear from Jokinen. This is a real team play by Olli.

JonathanHuberdoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 07:21 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
We shouldn't force captain upon someone, i say we have no captain next year and whoever gets it must earn and deserve it.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I disagree. I prefer Ralston, although his linemate Purina would be fine as well.
Ha, Ha, Ha-So my brain capacity is so full with hockey knowledge it limits my spelling ability.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 10:10 PM
pantherbot

i think olli just isn't a good captain. this may sound a bit weird but he takes his captaincy too seriously. he just needs to relax a bit and have fun. he seems like one of those really uptight type of leaders. the type that can't relax and just lead naturally, as if he has to try really hard in order to be a leader type.

playersneed to take their jobs to perform seriously but they also need to have fun and i think olli no longer knows how to to do that. with a young team like the panthers, they see it in their captain and they feel the same uptightness and the need to be perfect. but what the team really needs is to play relaxed, with confidence and to play to enjoy the game.

not really sure what the solution would be but they need a new captain.

and sundin would never sign with the panthers, he's stated multiple multple times he wants to retire a leaf

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 02:18 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
What about Brian Rolston guys? I know he is 35, but the guy can score 25+ goals, and seems to be a good leader with the Wild. I think an offseason of Rolston, Prospal, and Campbell would be a successful one. Maybe too much money, but just a thought.
Woahhh there. Highly doubt we get 1 of those three.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I wish Niewy was 5-7 years younger and signed with us. Could we have a better captain?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I wish Niewy was 5-7 years younger and signed with us. Could we have a better captain?
I'm really hoping he's an assistant coach next year.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 01:11 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Woahhh there. Highly doubt we get 1 of those three.
Woahhh...why is that?

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:26 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Woahhh...why is that?
History. Hopefully things have changed, but I'll be skeptical until the ink is dry on any contract with any mid range-high profile player.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Vokoun29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
i think olli just isn't a good captain. this may sound a bit weird but he takes his captaincy too seriously. he just needs to relax a bit and have fun. he seems like one of those really uptight type of leaders. the type that can't relax and just lead naturally, as if he has to try really hard in order to be a leader type.

playersneed to take their jobs to perform seriously but they also need to have fun and i think olli no longer knows how to to do that. with a young team like the panthers, they see it in their captain and they feel the same uptightness and the need to be perfect. but what the team really needs is to play relaxed, with confidence and to play to enjoy the game.

not really sure what the solution would be but they need a new captain.

and sundin would never sign with the panthers, he's stated multiple multple times he wants to retire a leaf
So true he puts so much pressure on himself, he might believe he is leading a military squad & w/e, so what I find funny is how can the troops find guidance if the leader doesn't say **** to lead them in the right or wrong direction,not even when in the barracks I assume(locker room) and lastly what leader doesn't try his/her hardest or show emotion? Oh yes it's either he doesn't have the passion/determination or he just has Soviet blood in his veins.

Vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokoun29 View Post
Oh yes it's either he doesn't have the passion/determination or he just has Soviet blood in his veins.
He's Finnish. No WAY does he have Soviet blood in his veins.

Old
04-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Vokoun29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
He's Finnish. No WAY does he have Soviet blood in his veins.
Finland was part of Russia about 80 years ago, it is one of russia's border neighbors,If i am recalling correctly in my 7th grade history book it mentioned during WW2the soviets invaded finland. Prove he doesn't have soviet nor russian blood !

Vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Georgia Panther

Finland, if I recall, was invaded by Russia numerious times in it's history. Brings back fond memories of years back when one of our Finnish Fans was going out it with one of our Swedish fans and I interjected myself with my dry wit by commenting, "Isn't it time Russia invaded Finland again?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Acadmus

I believe Finland was where the first Russian Czar came from, actually. The Russians were disorganized and wanted protection from various factions, so they invited a prominant Finn in to rule them.

Have to check with my (Russian) wife on that detail - she's pretty well versed in Russian history, having been a tour guide for a number of years.

And I believe to be honest Russia actually failed to invade Finland on a couple of occasions. Otherwise they'd have been part of the Soviet Union, since the Soviets didn't let anyone go until they collapsed themselves. Poland on the other hand...well, they made a mistake in conquering part of Russia at one point, forever earning the bad blood of Russians, who returned the favor at least twice.

And this concludes our history lesson for the day...tomorrow I hope to continue with actual facts instead of half-remembered generalizations

04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Clint

Quote:
Finland was part of Russia about 80 years ago, it is one of russia's border neighbors,If i am recalling correctly in my 7th grade history book it mentioned during WW2the soviets invaded finland. Prove he doesn't have soviet nor russian blood !
90 years. Finland declared independence after Russia's 1917 revolution and have fought several wars against Russia. There is no way Jokinen has SOVIET blood. He may be of ancient Russian ancestry, but it's not likely.

And look at the guy. You think those weird facial features are prototypical of a Russian? Compare Jokinen's face to almost any Russian's. You'll see a difference.

Old
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
KW

Quote:
Question: Which 3 capital cities were never occupied in Europe during WW2? (among warring countries)
Answer: London, Moscow, Helsinki.

Regarding invasion by the eastern neighbor - and this is a big deal for those who care - Finland was not occupied by Soviet Union (which existed only after 1917) but it was an autonomous Grand Duchy of Russia from about 1800 to 1917.

Having said that, I can't guarantee Olli has no Russian blood, but if he does, it's most likely from Karelia which is just on the Russian side of the border.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:20 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Why does it matter where Olli came from? Having Russian blood doesn't effect your leadership qualities or your talent.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote