HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Free Agency Frenzy | Saturday, July 1st, 10am MT | Prelude to a Buyout

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Foppberg

vCash: 500
Ah, thought it was just this past season.

Time flies when you're sucking.

Old
07-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Avs44

vCash: 50
I'm not going to go dig up videos right now, but it is genuinely confusing for me that folks around this board are now deluding themselves into thinking bringing Duchene back is a good option...No, he does not want to be here. Did you all miss Barberio going onto Montreal radio and saying Duchene has been professional, but wants out? Did you miss all of those interviews in which he halfheartedly said 'I'd be OK staying here, but OK leaving'? Those interviews in which he looked as morose as can be and some people said it looked like he was about to cry? You think after two years of seeing his name headlining articles, spreading on twitter, spreading on message boards, discussed on the radio, seeing insiders on TV saying "why hasn't Duchene been traded," insiders on twitter saying "things might be close," or "team X is very interested and has an offer in," Sakic never refuting anything, and so on, that the guy has not bloody well had enough? Stop clinging to one tiny little 8 word snippet in which he said he's OK coming back or something of that sort. Duchene's body language has said he isn't, Barberio has said he isn't, insiders have said he isn't. If you want to compare and contrast, go look at Landeskog. He's gone out of his way to say he wants to be here, loves being an Av, and started talking about planning for next years training camp back in March. That's someone who actually wants to stay in Colorado right now.

Bednar is a moronic coach. He dragged everyone's numbers down, the team was historically bad...you think Duchene's value might actually go up next year after another season of playing under Bednar? All the while as more Duchene rumors circulate in the media (and they will no matter what Sakic says now. The cat's out of the bag) and he wishes he was somewhere else? What do you think happens when the team is struggling in the basement again and a checked-out Duchene puts up 40-50 points? Then his value tanks - and that's the very real risk of this whole mess. And hell, say he doesn't have a season that bad - 55-60 points next year. You think that after 1 year+ of offers that weren't good enough for Duchene next summer, with 1 year to go, those offers will now get better than they are now? That's some pretty silly logic if you ask me. Maybe you get a Milan Lucic return, but with 1 year left nobody is going to suddenly offer Noah Hanifin. At best Sakic gets some picks he could have acquired this off-season already. And spare me the, 'he can sign a contract extension' narrative. 1) Zero guarantees any team will offer more than they are now just because Duchene's extended, 2) If Duchene's had another mediocre year no team in the league will want to extend Duchene because then they'd be very worried about what's going on, 3) If Duchene's had another mediocre year his agent would be stupid to let him sign an extension coming off of that, 4) What if Duchene starts telling teams he doesn't want to re-sign with them? What if he's set on Nashville or Montreal and tells the Isles, Canes, and whoever else is interested that he doesn't want to be there? Then those teams just hang up. Then the number of suitors drops in a very big way. Or what if Duchene does even have a decent year but starts demanding 7+ million on an extension? How many teams are going to be chuffed about giving up the top assets Sakic is demanding and slapping some 6 year, 7 million per year sort of deal on Duchene?

You want to know which team had a bold GM that was 100% confident he could sign ROR? Murray. Did he give up the high end top four defensman that Sakic wants for Duchene? No, he gave futures. That's what will be offered next year (futures, doubt the package is equivalent to the ROR package). And if guys want to stick to the 'contract extended' Duchene narrative, then how about you find me some examples of that actually happening? Right now that sounds like the same sort of fan fantasy Leaf fans have been touting for the past year when they want to trade JVR for a high end right handed defensman. "We know he's a UFA, but what if he had an extension?" It sounds ridiculous. It basically never happens. "But what if he had an extension" is a line almost used exclusively in hypothetical message board discussions on the trade board, and never in reality. I feel like some of you guys are getting desperate and clinging to anything positive you can possibly find.

Old
07-03-2017, 11:19 AM
agentblack

Haha Habs in yo face

Old
07-03-2017, 11:29 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Haha Habs in yo face
Bergevin really managed to **** up what coulda been a cup winner.

Old
07-03-2017, 11:31 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
And their fallback plan is Hemsky?? I seriously thought he retired

Old
07-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 5100
So basically they traded Radulov for Hemsky. I think Dallas won that one.

Old
07-03-2017, 11:35 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
He really did...

Old
07-03-2017, 11:46 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
I don't think that team ever had the pieces to win a cup really unless Price completely steals the show in the playoffs and basically wins it on his own.

And to be fair that can still happen...

But yeah his moves certainly did not help. Also his drafting outside of the top10 in the 1st round has been pretty bad in recent years (similar to the Avs). You are not winning much in this league if that happens unless you already have an amazing core or atleast a generational talent on your team...

Now they are basically locked into being a bubble team for the next 5+ years. As bad as things in Colorado look right now, arguably in MTL it looks worse. Atleast we are only a complete management overhaul and a few ping pong balls bouncing our way away from having a bright future.

MTL is locked into an aging roster with little upside to do much for the foreseeable future that probably is too good to ever get them a top10 pick.

Old
07-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
Bargain Bin is such an idiot lol. Didn't submit his best offer until Radulov had agreed to sign in Dallas. Why wouldn't you submit that offer first?

But of course he has the money to bring in Alzner and save up for his inevitable 4th liners and grinders at the deadline. Maybe we can trade him Comeau for Hudon.

Old
07-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Old
07-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Even if you don't want to believe (or put no stock into) any of the rumors, this has been going on for 18+ months. NHL GMs are not so unreasonable that Sakic wouldn't have had at least 1 fair offer over that timeframe. There is far more incentive from GMs to find a deal that works for both parties than there is to screw the other party. It keeps healthy working relationships. It would be one thing if the frustration was coming just from one place... it is coming from multiple areas including Brisson.

This is Gillis/Luongo 2.0.
Personally, I believe the only way he really screwed up so far is by being honest and open instead of keeping it all to himself. If he had kept it general and abstained from mentioning specifics as to who is untouchable, I don’t think people would be on his case as much as they are. There would be rumors but ‘unsubstantiated’ ones.

We can’t say for certain if he screwed it up because we don’t know what’s been offered and what’s currently on the table. If the very best offer he’s gotten is ‘slightly better than a Trade Deadline package’ then I don’t blame him one bit for not biting on that.

I will say that I am really surprised that he hasn’t traded Duchene yet but I’m not ready to say he screwed it up because as it stands right now, there are still MANY teams that are looking for help up front and options are extremely limited on the market. He still has leverage. We just don’t know what he’s got going on….”How’s that Tavares signing coming along, Garth?”, “Who’s playing center in Montreal next year, Bergy?”

All that said, my personal belief is that at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you have to move forward for the good of everyone involved even if you’re getting a less than ideal return. But maybe Sakic doesn’t see it that way and he’s decided that he doesn’t care if Duchene becomes a distraction since we’re probably not going to make the playoffs next year anyways. Maybe he figures it’s up to Duchene to get his head together and come to work and play well if he wants to be traded?

That is certainly NOT the way I’d handle it but I could see that. It could really backfire quite easily as has been mentioned.

If I couldn’t get that young top-4 d-man, I would probably opt for a solid piece + close to NHL-ready prospects and/or picks. A bigger deal but a bit more future based. Who knows, maybe we’d be able to draft our own ‘Hanifin / Sergachev’ type with the picks??

Scouting the NHL Draft
www.thehockeyprospector.com
Old
07-03-2017, 12:43 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I love how MTL fans saying Drouin was a Rads replacement, nice try guys, he obviously wasnt. Another swiiing and a miss for MB

Old
07-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

It so fun being a fan of two teams with most incompetent management groups in the NHL.

Old
07-03-2017, 02:55 PM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

Quote:
I love how MTL fans saying Drouin was a Rads replacement, nice try guys, he obviously wasnt. Another swiiing and a miss for MB
MB was on Sirius NHL XM radio yesterday saying that exact thing to almost a T.. when asked how he planned on replacing Radulov if he didn't re-up with the Habs...

"people forget we landed Drouin"

"our offense next year is not based on whether or not Rad comes back"

Old
07-03-2017, 03:16 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTN71 View Post
MB was on Sirius NHL XM radio yesterday saying that exact thing to almost a T.. when asked how he planned on replacing Radulov if he didn't re-up with the Habs...

"people forget we landed Drouin"

"our offense next year is not based on whether or not Rad comes back"
But why not wait to make the Drouin trade until you know whether Rads comes back? That doesnt make sense to me. Unless there was another suitor in there and MB had to make that deal like that second.

Old
07-03-2017, 03:20 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
But why not wait to make the Drouin trade until you know whether Rads comes back? That doesnt make sense to me. Unless there was another suitor in there and MB had to make that deal like that second.
Pretty sure Yzerman wanted to get this done before the expansion draft (because he would have had to protect Drouin and it is one of the main reasons why he settled for only Sergachev IMO).

Also Drouin is French-Canadian and that team has never been able to help themselves if a guy like that was available...

Old
07-03-2017, 03:24 PM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

Quote:
He claimed he had several offers out to FA that they thought would be accepted and then proceeded to fall apart rapidly.

Sounded to me as if they overvalued what they thought they would have coming in.

Closed Thread