HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2017, 08:13 PM
  #51
Bruce Joker
Professor X
 
Bruce Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 13,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Marleau because of his skating has a Mike Gartner feel to him. Big guy with good wheels even as he has slowed he is still in the top quarter of the league. He scored 27 goals last year. He isn't devoid of talent and doesn't look to be declining in a big way.

The wheels might fall off but I don't have a huge problem with it. I also have to chuckle at the notion that Hyman is absolutely sliding out of his spot. I know Leafs fans hope that is the case but we know Babs... He might surprise them in that area.
Lol it might happen for ten games or so at the start or during the season but after those 10 games. Yeah

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 08:24 PM
  #52
Red Stanley
Registered User
 
Red Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Marleau because of his skating has a Mike Gartner feel to him. Big guy with good wheels even as he has slowed he is still in the top quarter of the league. He scored 27 goals last year. He isn't devoid of talent and doesn't look to be declining in a big way.

The wheels might fall off but I don't have a huge problem with it. I also have to chuckle at the notion that Hyman is absolutely sliding out of his spot. I know Leafs fans hope that is the case but we know Babs... He might surprise them in that area.
That's exactly what I was thinking reading that one comment from their board. If they think Babcock will stop playing Hyman on the top line, they'll probably be left disappointed.

Red Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 10:17 PM
  #53
chances14
Registered User
 
chances14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 9,712
vCash: 500
marleau is a good signing but the leafs still aren't going to win without that top defenseman

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 10:58 PM
  #54
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Thank you Mr. I, RIP
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 28,796
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
marleau is a good signing but the leafs still aren't going to win without that top defenseman
I have actually never liked Andersson all that much either.

I think they will score, honestly with as improved as the division is they might miss the playoffs altogether. Buffalo, Florida and Tampa will all be a lot better this year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 11:14 PM
  #55
Bruce Joker
Professor X
 
Bruce Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 13,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I have actually never liked Andersson all that much either.

I think they will score, honestly with as improved as the division is they might miss the playoffs altogether. Buffalo, Florida and Tampa will all be a lot better this year.
You mean Andersen? Yeah I remember during the season leaf fans said he should be considered for the vezina.

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 01:30 AM
  #56
Wood Stick
Registered User
 
Wood Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I have actually never liked Andersson all that much either.

I think they will score, honestly with as improved as the division is they might miss the playoffs altogether. Buffalo, Florida and Tampa will all be a lot better this year.
Florida just lost 4 top 9 wingers. They are missing the playoffs.

Wood Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 01:40 AM
  #57
Bruce Joker
Professor X
 
Bruce Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 13,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Stick View Post
Florida just lost 4 top 9 wingers. They are missing the playoffs.
They added vrbata. Lost jokinen who a young guy probably replaces. Who else?

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 07:38 AM
  #58
Z40
High Compete Level
 
Z40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Joker View Post
They added vrbata. Lost jokinen who a young guy probably replaces. Who else?
Marchessault, Reilly Smith, & Jagr.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 11:44 AM
  #59
Probie
Registered User
 
Probie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver Is, Canada
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Stick View Post
Leafs look ****ing scary.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Hyman
Leivo

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Carrick-Polak
Marchenko I think, Marincin

Andersen
McEihinney
Look how quickly they turned things around, and what they have for assets now. And they made the playoffs. Now look at what Kenny has done.

Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 12:39 PM
  #60
Fear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post

Just from the first few pages of the Leafs board thread. Obviously a lot of excited people too, in the context of the Leafs cap situation and young core people aren't as negative as this board would have been... but still, it's a pretty questionable contract.

Overall I'm surprised Leafs are going for a couple of 36 year olds and a 38 year old. If they're going for a cup, there are better options. If they want veteran leadership, not sure Marleau is the guy for it (being stripped of his A and all). If they're hitting fast-forward on the rebuild and going into Cup-contender mode, they could have traded some picks and prospects for better players than Marleau on more favorable contracts.
I see it like this, Leafs right now have a rather unique window as Marner and Matthews still have 2 more years of ELC. Over the next 2 years they want to try to leverage this into a cup contender. After 2 years, when those players are payed what their worth, the team is gonna have to retool and find a way to fill out the supporting cast, there might be a couple down years before the team materializes as a contender.

That's why they only want to sign short-term deals, the only thing thats a bit of a head-scratcher is the 3rd year on Marleaus deal, thats gonna throw a wrench in the plans a bit.

Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 02:07 PM
  #61
Pavels Dog
Registered User
 
Pavels Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie View Post
Look how quickly they turned things around, and what they have for assets now. And they made the playoffs. Now look at what Kenny has done.
"quickly"

*just made the playoffs in an 82 game season for the first time since 2004*

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 03:50 PM
  #62
Probie
Registered User
 
Probie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver Is, Canada
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
"quickly"

*just made the playoffs in an 82 game season for the first time since 2004*
I meant since the regime change where they brought in competent people to run the show. It took them a short period of time. I think you knew what I mean.

Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:18 PM
  #63
Pavels Dog
Registered User
 
Pavels Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie View Post
I meant since the regime change where they brought in competent people to run the show. It took them a short period of time. I think you knew what I mean.
Yeah but that turnaround was only possible because of the many years of suffering that came before. For example, they got 60 goals from top 10 picks in 08 and 09 (JvR via Schenn trade, Kadri), then there's Rielly from 2012. Also remains to be seen what they do in coming years, I don't think it's a guarantee at all that it's just a straight line to the top for them, their D still looks kinda ugly to me.

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 05:23 PM
  #64
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Rafters
Posts: 12,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie View Post
I meant since the regime change where they brought in competent people to run the show. It took them a short period of time. I think you knew what I mean.
Agreed. They've made a series of smart moves that accelerated their rebuild. They aren't perfect and they still have challenges ahead. But these days it's easier to tear down other teams than to prop up the Wings.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:04 PM
  #65
Probie
Registered User
 
Probie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver Is, Canada
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Agreed. They've made a series of smart moves that accelerated their rebuild. They aren't perfect and they still have challenges ahead. But these days it's easier to tear down other teams than to prop up the Wings.
Eaxactly. But it takes a gm willing to make some moves, and do away with the good old boys mentality of being overly generous and partial to them. We are becoming the old edmonton Oilers (McTavis era of management etc). We dont have to be the Blackhawks but you have to make some moves.

I know it sounds harsh but, I would as Erricson to waive his ntc and do a mercy trade where we add to Vegas. At the deadline ask Z if he wants to be here for a rebuild and if he wants to go to a contender, retain salary/deal with the retiremant recapture and move him for picks, and trade gree retained at the deadline. Heck ask Nielson if he wants to stick around for a rebuild, and move him to. I would move nyquist as well, with retention for this year at least. You would be garnering 3-4 first round picks, in addition to our own if everyone would be moved. You could package some of those together. We could have two very high picks inside the top ten, and one still outside of it. I know its harsh and would never hapen but i can dream...

Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 08:07 PM
  #66
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Thank you Mr. I, RIP
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 28,796
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Stick View Post
Florida just lost 4 top 9 wingers. They are missing the playoffs.
If Ekblad comes back right I really doubt it. Strong up the middle on the back-end and in net.

Barkov - Trocheck - Bjugstad is awesome down the middle. For the record Dadonov is better than all the players listed as departures at this point in their careers. Vrbata is a sneaky add to play on that top line collecting points of Barkov and Hubie.

Florida is going to be good. Tallon has to be really made they gave away Gudbranson in the Panther's try to ruin their team for a year...

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:03 PM
  #67
Wood Stick
Registered User
 
Wood Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
If Ekblad comes back right I really doubt it. Strong up the middle on the back-end and in net.

Barkov - Trocheck - Bjugstad is awesome down the middle. For the record Dadonov is better than all the players listed as departures at this point in their careers. Vrbata is a sneaky add to play on that top line collecting points of Barkov and Hubie.

Florida is going to be good. Tallon has to be really made they gave away Gudbranson in the Panther's try to ruin their team for a year...
Last year it took their D awhile to readjust after adding 3 new players to their top 4. Now they've gotten rid of the majority of their top 9 wingers. I love their top 3 centres, I do. I like the Vrbata and Dadonov pickups as well. I think a slow start and some improved wild card teams will push them away.

Wood Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:07 PM
  #68
Bruce Joker
Professor X
 
Bruce Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 13,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Stick View Post
Last year it took their D awhile to readjust after adding 3 new players to their top 4. Now they've gotten rid of the majority of their top 9 wingers. I love their top 3 centres, I do. I like the Vrbata and Dadonov pickups as well. I think a slow start and some improved wild card teams will push them away.
Huh? All they need to do is make #3 in the division. Tampas a lock. Montreal is out if price goes. Toronto probably falls. Ottawa falls bad if karlsson is out and the fact that they got lucky this season

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:14 PM
  #69
Wood Stick
Registered User
 
Wood Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Joker View Post
Huh? All they need to do is make #3 in the division. Tampas a lock. Montreal is out if price goes. Toronto probably falls. Ottawa falls bad if karlsson is out and the fact that they got lucky this season
Well the Metro division is stacked and I'd place bets on 5 teams making it for sure (NYR, WAS, PIT, CLB) along with an up and coming team like Carolina capable of making noise.

In the Atlantic you have an improved Toronto team. They have more experience, added a D that can log minutes, and Patrick Marleau. Boston is still there. Brad Marchand was amazing last season along with the addtions of Carlo and McAvoy. Bergeron's slow start hurt the team too. Ottawa still has Karlsson. Montreal still has Price. Both players are elite and capable of leading the team. You also have the other Florida team. Injuries killed them. Stammer should be back.

Wood Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:43 PM
  #70
Bruce Joker
Professor X
 
Bruce Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 13,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Stick View Post
Well the Metro division is stacked and I'd place bets on 5 teams making it for sure (NYR, WAS, PIT, CLB) along with an up and coming team like Carolina capable of making noise.

In the Atlantic you have an improved Toronto team. They have more experience, added a D that can log minutes, and Patrick Marleau. Boston is still there. Brad Marchand was amazing last season along with the addtions of Carlo and McAvoy. Bergeron's slow start hurt the team too. Ottawa still has Karlsson. Montreal still has Price. Both players are elite and capable of leading the team. You also have the other Florida team. Injuries killed them. Stammer should be back.
The dman they have signed is no better then the guy they lost. Don't expect marleau to be anything more then a second liner. I see Toronto getting worse this year then improving.

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:47 PM
  #71
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Rafters
Posts: 12,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
If Ekblad comes back right I really doubt it. Strong up the middle on the back-end and in net.

Barkov - Trocheck - Bjugstad is awesome down the middle. For the record Dadonov is better than all the players listed as departures at this point in their careers. Vrbata is a sneaky add to play on that top line collecting points of Barkov and Hubie.

Florida is going to be good. Tallon has to be really made they gave away Gudbranson in the Panther's try to ruin their team for a year...
Agreed. It's important to note that scoring wingers are the easiest spot to fill and when you put most players next to great centers, they at least get the job done alright. *cough*Abdelkader*cough*

I'm not worried about them losing guys like Jagr and Jokinen. Those guys carry more name cache than who will replace them, but they'll also be a hell of a lot more spry after game 60.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 01:24 AM
  #72
Wood Stick
Registered User
 
Wood Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Joker View Post
The dman they have signed is no better then the guy they lost. Don't expect marleau to be anything more then a second liner. I see Toronto getting worse this year then improving.
Ron Hainsey is better than Matt Hunwick IMO. Good first pass, solid skater and defensively sound which is exactly what they need. Each of their signings I loved.

I expect Marleau to play with Matthews. Marleau is still fast. He nearly put up 30 goals and knows how to play defense.

Wood Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.