HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Positions Up For Grabs

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Positions Up For Grabs

I went through the team roster, the next training camp will be a sick one to be sure...

The top 6 will definately inject one new member in the line up.

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev should be kept together for an entire season IMO. They are a great line up, and none of these guys are for the feint of heart. This could be one of the better lines next season IMO...

The second line is where things start to look grey.
XXXXXX - Ribeiro - Ryder should be the slate heading in to camp. Ryder deserves his spot for his great rookie season, and his umpteen shots in the playoffs (I also see this kid being more than a second liner someday, but for now he's good here). And Ribs got a good lesson in the playoffs... He'll do much better his second time around IMHO.
But that Left Wing, will be completely up for grabs. Dagenais has a chance (he's going to have to work on the speed), as does our Russian prospects (Perezhogin/Kastsitsyn)... The inside track is for Marcel Hossa to finally arrive. He's got too much talent, and would be a great piece to this team's offence if he can put it together. He complements this line because he is SOO strong on the boards.
Hossa -Ribeiro - Ryder

The third line also has a few questions to be answered. Right now it looks as such:
Bulis - XXXXX - XXXXX
Bulis IMO is the only sure thing on the third line Left Wing. He's an excellent addition here.
At Center, it will come down to a management decision. Is Dowd the man for the job? (He certainly has the qualifications) He does bring defensive presence, good PK ability, and a bit more offence than his predecessor (JJ). However, Management could decide that youth is the way to go, and Plekanec or Higgins may just push management in a way that will not be expected. Higgins, by many accounts, is very close to being ready, and we also saw an interesting stint from Pleks... None of these guys add much needed size down the middle, but all bring a lot of moxy, which we could always use.
On the Right Wing, Again it could be Perezhogin's role, but Management can decide to bring one of Sundstrom or Dackell back (preferrably Sunny). Sundstrom is one of the smartest players out there... And along with Bulis, brings a presence that can be brought in to the upper lines in case of injury. Bowman was not wrong when praising Sunny for being one of the worlds most underrated players (he does a lot of things well)... Dackell has an outside chance of retaining a job, here as well, and Ward can very well be given the oppurtunity as well. IMO this is where management will go with exp.
Bulis - Dowd - Sundstrom (this would be a very sharp third line, but it does look more interesting like this):
Bulis - Higgins - Sundstrom...

The fourth line IMO is mostly resolved. Langdon will be given the fourth line LW if he wants to return. But there is speculation that his shoulders are in pretty bad shape. (NOOO!!! ) He was such a great addition to the dressing room, that usually had it's fair share of problems over the years. I think Gainey will make Langer come back, As well as Ryder (his roommate)... Potentially, the hab organization can be the most exciting team Langdon has been a part of... He has a huge role off the ice and on the ice, well, business is booming for the main enforcer on the squad. He could use a bit of help however, to ease those shoulders a bit.
XXXXX - Begin - Ward

Begin and Ward are great pieces, Ward could potentially be upped, but has not veribly proved that he should be... And Begin is a great fourth liner, who can be used in the same context as this year, where he was moved up lines to inject life in to them.

On Defence, as Ive posted in a few other threads,
Souray Breezy IMO should be first pairing next year. Souray IMO can be complemented with Breezy's speed (he is so quick on back peddling). And IMO if Breezy plays as well as he did this year, he will be a steadying force to Souray's game. And it gives 2 potential blasters on the point... Taking pressure off of Sheldon next year.

Second pairing IMO should be Markov - Komisarek.
They complement eachother as well... Komisarek will IMO seriously help develop Komisarek's offensive game. Right now, Komi is a big quick weapon, who has a lot of tools in the shed... He needs to sharpen his game a bit, and with Markov's help, he could potentially explode.

Third pairing should be Hainsey - Rivet
Hainsey has been pretty good in Hamilton. I think he's on a similar path as Jeff Jillson. Next year is his year to make it IMo. Rivet has developed a LD before (Markov) And he's will be a great steadying force on Hollywood's additude. Rivet can make Hainsey a veteran... and it's time to do so.

# 7, Is a toss up between Beauchemin and Bouillon. Some speculative talks about Bouillon going to Switzerland to play next season. That is neither here nor there IMo. He just is not talented enough to hold off the youth expansion (2 guys are all but ready on his side of the point).. Beauchemin will win out IMO, because he wont survive another Waiver wire, he's too talented to do so.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:17 AM
tnq

i don't like your defender pairs because Brisebois and Souray can make alot of turnover
Brisebois - Markov
Komisarek - Souray
Rivet - Bouillon (Hainsey)
i like Beauchemin too but ...
Btw Rivet - Bouillon is a good defender pair for PK, end of match. Let 2 other pairs for PP.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:59 AM

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Higgins/Plekanec-Ward
Bégin-Higgins/Plekanec- goon

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Brisebois
Hainsey-Rivet
Beauchemin

I believe both Higgins and Plekanec will make the team, which will make resigning Dowd useless, don't get me wrong, I think Dowd is a good player, has great leadership qualities, I just don't want BG to make the same mistake AS did with guys like Juneau, Perreault, Dackell....and that is signing older players for 1 year too much, if he is resigned, it should be as depth...same goes with Langdon, he was one of our most obscure heroes this year, but I feel the team needs to upgrade at the goon position, a guy like Andre Roy, with the right coaching, could be a useful asset...

I'm a huge fan of pairing both Komisarek and Markov together as IMO they will be the pillars of Montreal's defence for years to come, I don't like matching up Brisebois and Souray, but i'd be too afraid of a 3rd pairing consisting of Hainsey-Brisebois the word nightmare comes to mind...time to phase out Bouillon, Beauchemin is an upgrade, nothing against Bouillon, but he has bridged the gap between the NHL and AHL, it's time for the Habs to move on and give Beauchemin a reward for his solid play the last 2 years...

Old
05-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
I'd like to point out that Ribeiro is far from being guaranteed a spot on the second line next season. I think that if a guy like Higgins or Plekanec really wow us at training camp then Ribeiro could get a demotion.

Last edited by Kerberos: 05-05-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old
05-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
My preferred lines:
Hossa-Koivu-Kovalev //Give Hossa a REAL chance to shine. If he stinks on this line then we can trade him for a bag of half chewed pucks

Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder //you need to spread the intensity and grit We don't want Ryder working alone again

Bulis-Higgins-Kastistynin //Imagine the speed that Bulis and K can bring to this line! They'd be exciting to watch!

Langon-Begin-Ward (too bad this 4th line is composed of the two most oft-injured players in the NHL)

Old
05-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Netro

It's risky to integrate too many young players into the line-up at once. It takes time for young players to make the NHL...Hossa and Hainsey were drafted 4 years ago and still have not made it yet.

You want to give the young players a shot at making the team next year, but realistically, you need to have some older players for insurance. It is one of the reasons that I would try to keep Perreault, at the right price, around for another year or two. He is insurance that happens to be the best face-off man in the NHL. In addition, he has a pretty good shot (accurate)

A player like Higgins will more than likely need more seasoning at the AHL level next year. So will Perezhogin, depending on his suspension. Kasty will probably not be ready as well. I think the player most likely ready to make the jump to the NHL is Plekanec. After attending some Bulldog games this year, I am not sold on Hossa and especially Hainsey but I could have caught them on bad nights.

In addition, I see the Habs looking to find a second line LW to replace Dagenais and potentially a trade with Ribs, who despite his great vision and skill, is too small and does not possess enough speed to overcome his size disadvantage. I think an upgrade is possible there as well.

Re-signing Kovalev and Dowd would also top my list. As such, I see the following heading into camp, if there is a next year.

LW:
Zednick
Bulis
Sundstrom
Hossa

Team needs to address 2nd line LW

C:
Koivu
Dowd
Plekanec
Perreault

Team needs to address 2nd line C

RW:
Kovalev
Ryder
Ward
Begin
Langdon

Old
05-05-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro
It's risky to integrate too many young players into the line-up at once. It takes time for young players to make the NHL...Hossa and Hainsey were drafted 4 years ago and still have not made it yet.

You want to give the young players a shot at making the team next year, but realistically, you need to have some older players for insurance. It is one of the reasons that I would try to keep Perreault, at the right price, around for another year or two. He is insurance that happens to be the best face-off man in the NHL. In addition, he has a pretty good shot (accurate)

A player like Higgins will more than likely need more seasoning at the AHL level next year. So will Perezhogin, depending on his suspension. Kasty will probably not be ready as well. I think the player most likely ready to make the jump to the NHL is Plekanec. After attending some Bulldog games this year, I am not sold on Hossa and especially Hainsey but I could have caught them on bad nights.

In addition, I see the Habs looking to find a second line LW to replace Dagenais and potentially a trade with Ribs, who despite his great vision and skill, is too small and does not possess enough speed to overcome his size disadvantage. I think an upgrade is possible there as well.

Re-signing Kovalev and Dowd would also top my list. As such, I see the following heading into camp, if there is a next year.

LW:
Zednick
Bulis
Sundstrom
Hossa

Team needs to address 2nd line LW

C:
Koivu
Dowd
Plekanec
Perreault

RW:
Kovalev
Ryder
Ward
Begin
Langdon
Perreault , why do I see so many posters wanting to resign him? he's not going to play on the top 2 lines, and he can't play on the bottom 2 ones, where does this leave him, Perreault, Juneau, Dackell, Quintal, were all brought to bridge the gap...THE GAP HAS BEEN BRIDGED....time to let our young guys play, not all of them obviously but Juneau and Perreault will be replaced by Plekanec and Higgins, Dackell by Hossa and Quintal by Komisarek and Hainsey, the future is hear everybody

Old
05-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Guy LaFleur

Guys, let's not forget that despite his skill, Kastsitsyn's a youngster in every sense of the word. He hasn't even played in North America yet, let alone had success on a higher level. He hasn't even gotten the ice time in Russia to develop, which is hurting his chances of even making training camp. I say we put him in Hamilton on the first line, put Perez on his line (That is, providing Perez isn't suspended for a good chunk of the year), and let them develop some chemistry. Given that they're both Russians, Kastsitsyn shouldn't have too many problems getting to know some of the guys we've got in the dressing room.

If he seems to do well in Hamilton, give him a temporary raise to see what he can do in the NHL. Put him with Kovalev, with Saks centering them. If he still does well, I like the idea of Zednik-Ribs-Ryder for a secnod pairing.

Of course, if he doesn't do well, which he probably won't, send him back down to Hamilton. Keep Perez down there until we're clear on Kastsitsyn's status with the organization. If Kastsitsyn is ready for NHL action, bring the two of them up. If Zeddy-Saks-Kovi is going, have Perez-Plekanec-Kastsityn for a third line. I think it could be excellent.

But again, our youth and inexperience could present problems come playoff time, if we're in the hunt again, which I think we will be.

I also like the idea of giving Benoit Gratton an opportunity to come up and play with the big club. He's had his share of injury troubles, but so has Souray and he's get 25 minutes a night.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:10 PM
RaTcine

Quote:

C:
Koivu
Dowd
Plekanec
Perreault

Where's Ribeiro?
And I'm not sure that Perreault would accept a 4th line role.. I don't think he'll be back.
I say

Koivu
Ribeiro
Dowd
Higgins
Plekanec

Old
05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Guy LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
why do I see so many posters wanting to resign him?
It probably has something to do with the fact that he's the best faceoff man in the league and can still score 20 goals.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:13 PM
RaTcine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur
have Perez-Plekanec-Kastsityn for a third line. I think it could be excellent.
Yeah it could, but I don't think it will happen.
If it could, I think Higgins should go on this line... he's a better two way forward than plekanec and Kastistyn makes is not responsible defensivly so we would need someone who can make great passes, scores and also go back to help the def. Wow I just described Higgins.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Guy LaFleur

I was thinking more like a quick-strike offensive line, which is why Higgins wasn't included. I'd be happy seeing Begin-Higgins-Langdon/Dowd as a fourth line for defensive purposes. The third line could be put out there if it's a tied game, because we don't want to wear the top line out too fast.

Share the quick-strike offensive situations between the first and third lines, defensive situations go to the fourth line, and the second line could be put out in any situation.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
RaTcine

Quote:
I was thinking more like a quick-strike offensive line, which is why Higgins wasn't included. I'd be happy seeing Begin-Higgins-Langdon/Dowd as a fourth line for defensive purposes. The third line could be put out there if it's a tied game, because we don't want to wear the top line out too fast.

Share the quick-strike offensive situations between the first and third lines, defensive situations go to the fourth line, and the second line could be put out in any situation.
IF Perez-Higgins-Kast is our 3rd line, our 4th is Bulis-Dowd-Begin.
That's a perfect defensive line.

I really think Higgins is a better player than Plekanec in both ways...this line could be dangerous and be responsable defensivly...

Anyways, it won't happen. I don't think CJ would put 3 players with NO NHL experience together at their first NHL year.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Guy LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
I don't think CJ would put 3 players with NO NHL experience together at their first NHL year.
That's the thing... Claude's shown no problems with throwing players into the NHL. He's coached most of these guys, don't forget, and he knows that they're capable of. If he thinks they can make the adjustment together, then he'll make sure they do just that. The only player he hasn't had the opportunity to coach is Kastsitsyn, but I'm sure he knows all about Kastsitsyn's skill level.

And also, the perfect defensive line has to be the one I mentioned before... I'd prefer Higgins over Bulis defensively. Love Bulis' speed, but I'd prefer that in an offensive situation. Speed can often be hazardous on defense... especially if you're a little too jumpy.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:31 PM
RaTcine

Quote:
That's the thing... Claude's shown no problems with throwing players into the NHL. He's coached most of these guys, don't forget, and he knows that they're capable of. If he thinks they can make the adjustment together, then he'll make sure they do just that. The only player he hasn't had the opportunity to coach is Kastsitsyn, but I'm sure he knows all about Kastsitsyn's skill level.

And also, the perfect defensive line has to be the one I mentioned before... I'd prefer Higgins over Bulis defensively. Love Bulis' speed, but I'd prefer that in an offensive situation. Speed can often be hazardous on defense... especially if you're a little too jumpy.
Then, what would you do with Bulis?

Old
05-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Beakermania*

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Perez*-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Ward*
Langdon/Dagenais-Plekanec-Begin

Pressbox: Hossa, too talented to put through waivers, but must show more dedication or he will end up a Julien whipping boy in this spot. If it were my decision i would trade him to with our first rounder to move up in the draft possibly into top 10. Langdon/Dagenais in other pressbox spot.

*Note: while Perez suspended move ward into that spot (scored in the AHL give him another shot to be a scorer for us); Higgins takes Wards third line spot for the time while Perez suspended.

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Brisebois
Hainsey-Rivet

press box: Beauchemin

Could Bouillion be made into a forward, possibly on an energy line??

Old
05-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1131
I think Jason Ward on the third line is a must , he hit , he has a good size and play a sound defensive game he can also do the job if he get a chance on offence .. something Bulis have hard time to do .

Bulis - Dowd - Ward should be an exellent third line for us next year . The Perez-Higgins-Katsitsin proposition as a 3rd line is ridiculous .

Higgins should get some game here and here like Plekanec , Hainsey a full-time NHLer is also a must if he play well like he did this year for the Habs .

Old
05-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I think Jason Ward on the third line is a must , he hit , he has a good size and play a sound defensive game he can also do the job if he get a chance on offence .. something Bulis have hard time to do .

Bulis - Dowd - Ward should be an exellent third line for us next year . The Perez-Higgins-Katsitsin proposition as a 3rd line is ridiculous .

Higgins should get some game here and here like Plekanec , Hainsey a full-time NHLer is also a must if he play well like he did this year for the Habs .
I agree, but I hope he improves his skating a bit this summer, mainly balance.

Old
05-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Netro

Just a couple of responses to questions posed about my earlier post.

(1) 417 to MTL re:Integrating the young players into the line-up/Inclusion of Perreault

I agree that players like Juneau, Dackell and Perreault were brought in to bridge the gap until the younger players are ready. All that I am saying is that I want some insurance around in the event that the young players are not ready. No one can guarantee that a Higgins or Perezhogin or Plekanec are ready. Look at how long it has taken our 1st rounders from 2000 to integrate into the line-up. Hainsey and Hossa have yet to establish NHL careers and there is a risk that they may never become NHLers.

All I am saying is that you let the kids battle for a job in training camp, but you also need depth and insurance, and I think, at the right price, Perreault is good insurance. The bottom line is that if Perreault does not want to stick around in that role, Gainey will go find someone who will.

(2) RatCine re: Ribiero
Ribs was excluded from my depth chart because I would be looking to replace him as the second line centre. So, he would be gone, via a trade. I will never doubt the great vision that he has and his offensive skill set, but I will always be concerned about his lack of size and the lack of necessary speed to compensate for his lack of size. His defensive play is weak as well. I just think he is going to be the type of player that puts up good regular seasons but struggles in the playoffs. I think he has some trade value now and if the offer is right, I would move him. I think Gainey will look to move him as well this summer.

Old
05-06-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
It probably has something to do with the fact that he's the best faceoff man in the league and can still score 20 goals.
So what, he's the best faceoff man in the NHL, everyone knows this, he never wins the faceoffs in key situations, I remember several times during the Boston series and Tampa series he was out muscled in the faceoff circle by Travis Green and Dave Andreychuck, Perreault wins all the non-important draws, but he can't be counted on in key situations...and he can score 20 goals, so what so can Ribeiro and Saku, and for now, they are our 1st two centers, Perreault is not a winger and he's not a 3rd or 4th line center, so what's the point oc having him on this team, i'm not saying he's a bad player, he has deficiencies like everyone else, but he's an offensive center, unless he beats out Ribeiro or Koivu, which won't happen, then there's no purpose of having him here...

Let's get over the faceoff thing, everyone knows he's good at it, but if that's the only reason were keeping him, it's stupid, cause were taking away development time from Higgins and Plekanec who i'd rather see in the lineup next year

The Yannick Perreault era is over people, face it and move on

Old
05-06-2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Just a couple of responses to questions posed about my earlier post.

(1) 417 to MTL re:Integrating the young players into the line-up/Inclusion of Perreault

I agree that players like Juneau, Dackell and Perreault were brought in to bridge the gap until the younger players are ready. All that I am saying is that I want some insurance around in the event that the young players are not ready. No one can guarantee that a Higgins or Perezhogin or Plekanec are ready. Look at how long it has taken our 1st rounders from 2000 to integrate into the line-up. Hainsey and Hossa have yet to establish NHL careers and there is a risk that they may never become NHLers.

All I am saying is that you let the kids battle for a job in training camp, but you also need depth and insurance, and I think, at the right price, Perreault is good insurance. The bottom line is that if Perreault does not want to stick around in that role, Gainey will go find someone who will.

(2) RatCine re: Ribiero
Ribs was excluded from my depth chart because I would be looking to replace him as the second line centre. So, he would be gone, via a trade. I will never doubt the great vision that he has and his offensive skill set, but I will always be concerned about his lack of size and the lack of necessary speed to compensate for his lack of size. His defensive play is weak as well. I just think he is going to be the type of player that puts up good regular seasons but struggles in the playoffs. I think he has some trade value now and if the offer is right, I would move him. I think Gainey will look to move him as well this summer.
Netro, I understand what you mean...but the way I look at it, if BG, for some reason , does decide to sign Perreault, and mind you that if he does sign him, it would have to be for at least 2 years, there's no way Perreault takes a 1 year deal, where does he play, he's an offensive center, so he has to play center on one of the 1st two lines...so what, were going to keep him on the bench in case Ribeiro or Koivu get injured...i'd rather have Plekanec, who's paid his dues the last 2 years in the AHL, on standby ready to step in if needed, anyways, that's just my opinion, and I don't know why i'm even discussing Perreault, cause BG is a smart hockey mind, there's no way he resigns him, if he does, well I know squat about hockey...

Old
05-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Netro, I understand what you mean...but the way I look at it, if BG, for some reason , does decide to sign Perreault, and mind you that if he does sign him, it would have to be for at least 2 years, there's no way Perreault takes a 1 year deal, where does he play, he's an offensive center, so he has to play center on one of the 1st two lines...so what, were going to keep him on the bench in case Ribeiro or Koivu get injured...i'd rather have Plekanec, who's paid his dues the last 2 years in the AHL, on standby ready to step in if needed, anyways, that's just my opinion, and I don't know why i'm even discussing Perreault, cause BG is a smart hockey mind, there's no way he resigns him, if he does, well I know squat about hockey...
Well...Perreault did not play on the top 2 lines this year as a centre, and at this stage of his career, I think he realizes that those days are probably over. I think he can be effective as a 4th line centre/insurance, at the right price, and provide some help on the PP. If not, then good riddance. I thought he filled that 4th line centre role nicely in the playoffs.

But I think people need to realize that if Perreault does not return, that some veteran insurance is going to be required for the 4th line because as I said, I don't think we can expect 2-3 rookies to make the team next year. Let 'em fight for spots but I want some insurance around.

Old
05-07-2004, 08:33 AM
RaTcine

I don't think the defensive play of Ribs is THAT bad.

Old
05-07-2004, 05:34 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I could see BG locking up Kovalev to a new contract, giving our younger RFA's a modest raise, and adding a few of Hamilton's best into the lineup next season. That would leave little money for any new UFA options. I see it looking something like this:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Ward
Higgins-Begin-Langdon

Pleks, Dags

Markov-Rivet
Souray-Komo
Bouillon-Breezer

Hainsey

The first line is almost a gimme...it could be a real good one!!

The second line still worries me. Perez was the most NHL ready of our prospects to jump onto this line, so his suspension changes all that. Hossa is the best fit from his second half performance in Hamilton, but his work ethic is still a big "?". Ribs, well has his faults, but he does produce points in the regular season. Ryder is a lock. Dags would be inserted to add the occassional punch, but I still see Hossa getting more regular starts on this line if he can finally show some spunk out there. He just has more tools than Dags. This second line spot will eventually migrate to Kasty, once he is ready to play in the NHL in a year or so, or to Perezhogin, when he returns from suspension in 05-06.

The third line is pretty capable. Dowd is that new veteran presence, Ward is your crasher and banger, and Bulis is your speed merchant that causes other teams all sorts of problems. Dowd is also decent in the faceoff circle. Overall, a balanced line that would see lots of ice time. I would see someone like Chris Higgins or Pleks taking over this 3rd line centre role in 05-06.

The 4th line is your energy line. Begin is super pest, Langer is your punch-me dude, and Higgins adds some skill to the line. In late game situations, Higgins can be used on special teams as needed. A nice option for CJ to have. Pleks will also be your "spare" here that can be inserted into either the 3rd or 4th line without giving up too much.

On D, really not much will change short of drastic trades. I would expect Hainsey to get 7th man role, and be eased in like management did with Komo this past year.

Goaltending would be status quo, with Garon seeing an increase in his playing time.

Closed Thread