HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2017 nhl draft

Old
06-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Cush
Winny!

vCash: 500

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 109
Red Line write-up:

Toby Geisser - ranked #152. One-liner: Like Kate Upton; great body, limited between the ears.

Sebastien Walfridsson - ranked #226

Benton Maass - Not ranked by Red Line Report

Kristian Roykas Marthinsen - Not ranked by Red Line Report

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Name Nameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Red Line write-up:

Toby Geisser - ranked #152. One-liner: Like Kate Upton; great body, limited between the ears.

Sebastien Walfridsson - ranked #226

Benton Maass - Not ranked by Red Line Report

Kristian Roykas Marthinsen - Not ranked by Red Line Report
As a Norwegian, I just wanted to post something on a Norwegian name. I know, 213 overall isn't much. But just a note on Norwegian letters as this man got two of the three: æ ø å is read (somewhat) like the vowels in "sad punk rock", so that sentence could be written "sæd pønk råck" then with Norwegian letters, if you see what I mean. The leading R in "Røykås" is harsher and much more rolling than the R you English speakers usually produce. Two different vowels in a row becomes a diphthong (just read them in order, but fast.) So, if you want to, you could now pronounce "Røykås" much much more like it should be

(That last segment of Røykås, Ås, is basically the same thing as the name "Aasen". And I have noted "another" (?) Norwegian NHL-er in another city just gave up on his name, as you read it "Assen" and not "Ausen". Just FYI.)

Hope you don't get to annoyed by my little language course. And yeah, 213 isn't really high, actually it was almost dead last

Last edited by Name Nameless: 06-24-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Name Nameless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Cush
Winny!

So, least active draft thread we've had around here?

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 07:14 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Least active draft we've had around here.

Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Langway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm on to 2018...

But first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x74I5K1bRXU

Marthinsen goals at 7:35, 1:00:05 and 1:55:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mtVFtdNqyE

Marthinsen goal at 2:09:25.

He's got some sense and compete to him. Curious whether he's selected in Wednesday's import draft and if he comes over.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 10:43 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

What are the statistical odds that the BPA in our last 8 or 9 picks were D men? Many argue always take BPA. Have we been doing that the past draft and a half?

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
What are the statistical odds that the BPA in our last 8 or 9 picks were D men? Many argue always take BPA. Have we been doing that the past draft and a half?
So now you see a conspiracy here?

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2017, 12:40 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
So now you see a conspiracy here?
LOL. Yes.

You know my case then. What's your take... did we abandon taking BPA to fix org weaknesses, and if so, don't non conspiracy types like yourself say that is dumb?

Old
06-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Brian23

Quote:
LOL. Yes.

You know my case then. What's your take... did we abandon taking BPA to fix org weaknesses, and if so, don't non conspiracy types like yourself say GMs only take BPA - nothing is hidden, and so this is a statistical anomaly?
I do think this is still probably BPA for them but I think it's probably showing an organizational flaw. They're taking, essentially, the same style of player over and over again.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Langway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I do think this is still probably BPA for them but I think it's probably showing an organizational flaw. They're taking, essentially, the same style of player over and over again.
I don't think there's any question these are BPA picks for them, it's a matter of whether they're warranted. Time will tell but the reason why so many of the D picks seem so similar is that they don't carry clear significant upside from a skill standpoint or many varying strengths. The same goes for their forward picks last season. It's a worrying departure that may provide a lot of decent depth but I find it hard to believe there's an overarching strategy at play beyond it simply being the top player on Mahoney's board.

They need home runs as their core ages and increasingly lacks the ability to carry them. They need to focus on fundamentals and team play as what continues to carry them as raw sheer productivity declines. That mental refinement developmentally is what what's questionable. It's easier said than done to net impact repeatedly in the draft but they should have that mentality in every round, not just in the first round historically when the choices and skill level are more obvious. At best you're looking at a lot of adequate mobile shutdown type defenders that can chip in offensively at times but there's not much top-end potential from a skill standpoint. Maybe they can add it in time but I don't tend to trust them to maximize that area. Marthinsen was a change of pace regarding upside and a worthwhile gamble but they need to make more of them.

Similarly, particularly after this draft with only four picks, they need to more seriously go after undrafted CHLers that they could sign after development camp. The last first-time eligible signing in that regard was Brandon Anderson IINM and that may be it since the lockout even. Overall, again, they avoided the CHL entirely in the draft as well. I get believing the leagues are over-scouted potentially but it's very atypical. It's been five drafts since they selected a player from the OHL or QMJHL. If I'm a scout from those leagues for them I'd wonder if my input is taken seriously. Either that or they're not banging the table for anyone at all (in which they probably should be replaced). Tom Wilson is the only player drafted out of either the OHL or QMJHL in the last seven drafts and we know that was very much a McPhee-driven pick at the time. I find it hard to believe that's sheer coincidence.

Last edited by Langway: 06-25-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old
06-25-2017, 01:16 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Where the centers at.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't think there's any question these are BPA picks for them, it's a matter of whether they're warranted. Time will tell but the reason why so many of the D picks seem so similar is that they don't carry clear significant upside from a skill standpoint or many varying strengths. The same goes for their forward picks last season. It's a worrying departure that may provide a lot of decent depth but I find it hard to believe there's an overarching strategy at play beyond it simply being the top player on Mahoney's board.

They need home runs as their core ages and increasingly lacks the ability to carry them. They need to focus on fundamentals and team play as what continues to carry them as raw sheer productivity declines. That mental refinement developmentally is what what's questionable. It's easier said than done to net impact repeatedly in the draft but they should have that mentality in every round, not just in the first round historically when the choices and skill level are more obvious. At best you're looking at a lot of adequate mobile shutdown type defenders that can chip in offensively at times but there's not much top-end potential from a skill standpoint. Maybe they can add it in time but I don't tend to trust them to maximize that area. Marthinsen was a change of pace regarding upside and a worthwhile gamble but they need to make more of them.

Similarly, particularly after this draft with only four picks, they need to more seriously go after undrafted CHLers that they could sign after development camp. The last first-time eligible signing in that regard was Brandon Anderson IINM and that may be it since the lockout even. Overall, again, they avoided the CHL entirely in the draft as well. I get believing the leagues are over-scouted potentially but it's very atypical. It's been five drafts since they selected a player from the OHL or QMJHL. If I'm a scout from those leagues for them I'd wonder if my input is taken seriously. Either that or they're not banging the table for anyone at all (in which they probably should be replaced). Tom Wilson is the only player drafted out of either the OHL or QMJHL in the last seven drafts and we know that was very much a McPhee-driven pick at the time. I find it hard to believe that's sheer coincidence.
Which is pretty much my entire point, I'm fine if they have all these defenders as BPA and they wanna roll the dice on them but at least look for some guys with different skillsets. Every player seems like a carbon copy of the last. I almost want to point out how odd it is they're not rushing to extend Trotz all the while they're drafting players he'd want to a T. They're all seemingly positionally aware steady-eddy type players who can do a little bit of anything, but no one with a ridiculous defining point. I mean will have the pick of the litter for bottom pairing defenders in a few years, but I just don't see how any of them besides Seigenthaler and Johanssen have any real top 4 upside.

To end it all off, and why I don't like this new drafting trendI just stand by you can teach a guy to play defense. Maybe it takes a bit of work, but at the end of the day its an effort thing and you should be able to ID that in scouting, but you can't really teach a guy to be offensive.

Old
06-25-2017, 04:35 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Good stuff guys, thanks.

I lol'd at the drafting the same player over and over... it seems true.

Old
06-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
LOL. Yes.

You know my case then. What's your take... did we abandon taking BPA to fix org weaknesses, and if so, don't non conspiracy types like yourself say that is dumb?
I honestly think it just played that way. Maybe I'm a fool?

I also think that d-men can be had in the lower rounds, maybe more so than forwards. So perhaps their. Word has D higher up than F?

Mahoney has long taken BPA. It's his mantra. So either he's using they as a shield, and is allocating a significant portion of draft assets to D.....or, it's actually his BPA.

Old
06-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Which is pretty much my entire point, I'm fine if they have all these defenders as BPA and they wanna roll the dice on them but at least look for some guys with different skillsets. Every player seems like a carbon copy of the last. I almost want to point out how odd it is they're not rushing to extend Trotz all the while they're drafting players he'd want to a T. They're all seemingly positionally aware steady-eddy type players who can do a little bit of anything, but no one with a ridiculous defining point. I mean will have the pick of the litter for bottom pairing defenders in a few years, but I just don't see how any of them besides Seigenthaler and Johanssen have any real top 4 upside.

To end it all off, and why I don't like this new drafting trendI just stand by you can teach a guy to play defense. Maybe it takes a bit of work, but at the end of the day its an effort thing and you should be able to ID that in scouting, but you can't really teach a guy to be offensive.
Well-- which picks outside Seig and Johanssen were 1st or 2nd round picks? To expect a top 4 d-man in rounds 3+ seems a little .....spoiled. And we are only talking about the past 2 drafts, right?

Old
06-26-2017, 12:13 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Well-- which picks outside Seig and Johanssen were 1st or 2nd round picks? To expect a top 4 d-man in rounds 3+ seems a little .....spoiled. And we are only talking about the past 2 drafts, right?
I get your point, but they're still taking low ceiling type players with these picks. I mean, it's not a defender, look at Holtby. He was a guy who had big consistency issues, a supposedly suspect positional issues but had athleticism in spades and they rolled the dice on developing him.

It's hard to find a comparable on this team because so many of our picks are high ranked guys, but you can find guys with high ceiling "tools" in the later rounds and good teams know when to roll the dice on those guys and try to get a jackpot. Instead, they're just taking carbon copy low ceiling guys because...that's what Trotz likes maybe? In a few years will have a few bottom pairing and probably an okay bottom 6 prospects if they keep up this style but long term they've taken no one with high-end potential. Its pretty much Lucas and that's it.

Old
06-26-2017, 05:50 AM
Ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Mittelstadt clearly dropping due to not being able to do a pullup.
I'm not sure what a pull up has to do with being a hockey requirement.
Do you see the big butts on those guys? They are so bottom heavy I'm surprised they don't dislocate shoulders doing the pull-ups.

Ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Langway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
In a few years will have a few bottom pairing and probably an okay bottom 6 prospects if they keep up this style but long term they've taken no one with high-end potential. Its pretty much Lucas and that's it.
I'm reminded of how Pittsburgh drafted for years when many thought they'd amass defenders they'd flip for strong value. Instead they flipped Despres at the deadline for Lovejoy and moved Morrow and Harrington as throw-ins. Pouliot is another they may shed and sell low on. The Caps do have some impact offensive potential if Djoos and Bowey pan out but not featuring Bowey on the PP from the beginning in Hershey was a mistake. They don't challenge players to be great in every area, just merely better where they're weakest. It's tailored to the individual but there also needs to be a collective identity they're all working towards beyond defensive responsibility. The end result is low-risk, low-ceiling mediocrity that systematically works in the regular season but lacks ambition and doesn't focus enough on two-way decision-making and playmaking.

Best-case a lot of them have the skating and sense to eat minutes 5-on-5 but after that are a lot of the skill sets that don't stand out on their own. It's no doubt valuable to have many in the org. capable of that but there's also considerable value in having many centers to sift through and a greater variation of skilled forwards generally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
I'm not sure what a pull up has to do with being a hockey requirement.
Do you see the big butts on those guys? They are so bottom heavy I'm surprised they don't dislocate shoulders doing the pull-ups.
Joking of course. He couldn't do a rep on the bench either, both of which may concern teams re: his commitment to strength training but suggests once he clues into it and get on a program there's a lot he'll be able to pack on. It's such a speed game anyway that it's hard to fixate on strength levels at 18. I wouldn't expect the vast majority to be able to fully compete against men regardless but esp. one playing high school hockey.

Old
07-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Icejoker

Quote:
Dont think MoJo was in any deal, no rumour at all. Isles go after 2 first for Hamonic they got 1 first 2 second, think Caps got more if they sell him on draft day.

Icejoker is offline   Reply With Quote