HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHLPA President

Old
07-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Canucks1096

vCash: 500
NHLPA President

Does anyone know how does someone become the president of the nhlpa? Trevor Linden was the president before. I want to know how he got that job. Did he just decide by the director or do the members of the executive boards vote for the president.

Last edited by Fenway: 07-09-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Canucks1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2017, 04:04 PM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Linden was president as player. I'm guessing you have to be a player of some stature but also 1 that commands respect across the league.

07-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Reseob ot Etteduag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Linden was president as player. I'm guessing you have to be a player of some stature but also 1 that commands respect across the league.
So why Linden then??

Reseob ot Etteduag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 11:33 AM
IME

vCash: 50
Are we talking President or Executive Director?

I don't think the NHLPA has a President anymore. Trevor Linden was the last president in 2006, but I think the PA eliminated that position.

Donald Fehr is the current top dog as Executive Director. Usually the NHLPA forms a search committee to identify potential candidates, but Fehr had such pedigree that it was understood Fehr would be the ideal candidate. He used to run the MLBPA, probably the most successful player union in pro sports.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Canucks1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
Are we talking President or Executive Director?

I don't think the NHLPA has a President anymore. Trevor Linden was the last president in 2006, but I think the PA eliminated that position.

Donald Fehr is the current top dog as Executive Director. Usually the NHLPA forms a search committee to identify potential candidates, but Fehr had such pedigree that it was understood Fehr would be the ideal candidate. He used to run the MLBPA, probably the most successful player union in pro sports.
President

I want to know how Linden got the job as President before. Did nhl players vote for him? Did people work the nhlpa vote for him. Or the person in charge just picked Linden?

Old
07-11-2017, 12:51 AM
Canucks1096

Also I want to know why was Linden picked to be president?

Old
07-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reseob ot Etteduag View Post
So why Linden then??
I think you're confused

Last edited by Peter Skudra: 07-11-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks1096 View Post
Also I want to know why was Linden picked to be president?
.... you seem to have issues with Linden no? First here then on the HOH Board?.... look Dude, the Titular Title of active player "President" no longer exists, hasnt since 06 when Lindens' term expired. And ya, he was Voted into the position.... Fact is, the NHLPA is a dysfunctional mess & has been since inception. And I mean since 1957 when Ted Lindsay first started it, 10yrs of quietude, then Bob Pulford elected first Modern Day President in 1967... under his boyhood friend & advisor R. Alan Eagleson....

Last edited by Killion: 07-11-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 02:57 AM
Canucks1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... you seem to have issues with Linden no? First here then on the HOH Board?.... look Dude, the Titular Title of active player "President" no longer exists, hasnt since 06 when Lindens' term expired. And ya, he was Voted into the position.... Fact is, the NHLPA is a dysfunctional mess & has been since inception. And I mean since 1957 when Ted Lindsay first started it, 10yrs of quietude, then Bob Pulford elected first Modern Day President in 1967... under his boyhood friend & advisor R. Alan Eagleson....
So who actually votes before?

Last edited by Killion: 07-11-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: point made...
Old
07-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Noldo

Quote:
If I have understood correctly, the President used to be elected by the Executive Committee.

The Executive Committee in turn consists of 30 members (presumably 31 nowadays), one for each team.

The players (or more precisely the members of the NHLPA) of each team elect their representatives to the Executive Committee. I don't know what's the term, presumably one season at the time. There are many second line/complementary player types among the representatives but Tavares at least used to be the representative for Islanders. Based on interviews I have understood that most of the players are not particularly interested in the Union matters so the representatives are often the few who are interested and thus they can sometimes represent more their personal views than the views of the team's players as a whole (because the players do not bother to provide any input).

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
If I have understood correctly, the President used to be elected by the Executive Committee.

The Executive Committee in turn consists of 30 members (presumably 31 nowadays), one for each team.

The players (or more precisely the members of the NHLPA) of each team elect their representatives to the Executive Committee. I don't know what's the term, presumably one season at the time. There are many second line/complementary player types among the representatives but Tavares at least used to be the representative for Islanders. Based on interviews I have understood that most of the players are not particularly interested in the Union matters so the representatives are often the few who are interested and thus they can sometimes represent more their personal views than the views of the team's players as a whole (because the players do not bother to provide any input).
Noldo is correct. Each team elects an NHLPA Rep and an Alternate from the roster. I'm not exactly sure what the term is, be it 1yr, 2 or what, but its usually a 2nd or 3rd liner, 2nd Defenceman pairing, fairly high-turnover due to the nature of the game. Trades, Demotions, Retirements etc. Because of this, shorter careers & so on, turnover of Team Rep's, they wind up with a lack of consistency & general consensus on any number of issues. Always in flux. So they need strong Leadership in the Executive Director, reliant upon him 110% to do the right thing by them & of course their own agents playing a big part in that as well with advice & in-put.

Last edited by Killion: 07-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote