HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin from VGK for 2018 3rd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2017, 12:17 AM
  #51
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If true I stand corrected. All I've read is that he's a big, physical, heavy hitter. No one has mentioned what the Preds covet most in their Dmen... mobile, transition and offensive focus.
Yeah Irwin was a train wreck with the puck and always deferred to his partner

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 02:37 AM
  #52
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 12,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah Irwin was a train wreck with the puck and always deferred to his partner
Agreed, he was a major liability in the playoffs. It was downright ulcer-inducing. If Emelin can move the puck any better than Irwin, this is a welcome upgrade over the long haul of a season.

I really didn't mind this deal that much when we made it, and if we're saving $1.2M off his cap hit, I'm on board. I've always liked Emelin's game and think we could use a little extra sandpaper on the blue line.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 07:25 AM
  #53
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred
 
jwhouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
In a way, was this an attempt to find a partner for PK?

(waits for the HabiPreds to respond to that one...)

__________________
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
RIP - Tom "Swamprat" Price - A Predneck Forever
Not the defenseman for Toledo
Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 08:01 AM
  #54
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Schroedingers box
Country: United States
Posts: 25,209
vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
In a way, was this an attempt to find a partner for PK?

(waits for the HabiPreds to respond to that one...)
Im not a HabiPreds but that is a "no"

__________________
Surgeon General's Warning: Shea Weber may be hazardous to your health.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 08:51 AM
  #55
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
In a way, was this an attempt to find a partner for PK?

(waits for the HabiPreds to respond to that one...)
Actually I kind of think it's a way to always have some hard hitting available without needing to hamstring the forward lines with McLeod all the time. He can't fight, but his ability to hit may keep things a bit more honest.

That and if anything I think it is an attempt to find Weber a partner, so Poile got the guy he had some of his best years with.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 11:33 AM
  #57
Greg4preds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Maybe Ellis is not going to be ready at the beginning of the season and this gives us a competent top 4 replacement.... have we ever heard what his actual injury is?

Greg4preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 12:14 PM
  #58
King Weber
Registered User
 
King Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4preds View Post
maybe ellis is not going to be ready at the beginning of the season and this gives us a competent top 4 replacement.... Have we ever heard what his actual injury is?

King Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2017, 12:35 PM
  #59
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weber View Post
Honest, it sounds like no big deal, just some knee maintenance.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 03:09 PM
  #60
DarrylshutzSydor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Country: Palestine
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Emelin plays mean and is a capable 2nd pairing defenseman. He'll be great on the 3rd pairing. Keep Irwin as insurance.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 08:15 PM
  #61
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If true I stand corrected. All I've read is that he's a big, physical, heavy hitter. No one has mentioned what the Preds covet most in their Dmen... mobile, transition and offensive focus.
Emelin has a pretty good first pass and allows the team to get out of the D zone and start an offensive entry, has a decent slapper but he isn't a great stick-handler.

You will love the hits he lays!! He has amazing timing for those hits and he loves doing it... top 5 in the league for smashing opponents within the rules.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 10:13 PM
  #62
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Schroedingers box
Country: United States
Posts: 25,209
vCash: 242
Emelin was acquired with the Blues and Ducks in mind. Im surprised desmondtootoo hasn't been singing the praises of this signing

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 10:18 PM
  #63
radicalcenter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If true I stand corrected. All I've read is that he's a big, physical, heavy hitter. No one has mentioned what the Preds covet most in their Dmen... mobile, transition and offensive focus.
As a comparison, he is a better skater than Weber and his first pass is fine. He also has a decent shot.

radicalcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 10:28 PM
  #64
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 50
He's not good offensively, and overrated defensively. Takes dumb penalties at the wrong time and not particularly fast...one pet peeve about him is the attack tends to die once the puck touches his stick. He usually just dumps it in or takes a stupid soft shot (that usually hits someones leg lol). He's good on the PK though if you guys need that, aside from that there's really not much to say about him. IMO he's a borderline #4, maybe an average #4. At that money you guys should like him.


...oh yeah, and he can hit big. And I mean really really big.


He's gotta be one of the best open ice hitters and hip checkers in the league, like top 3 material. His hits tend to cause fights because most people don't like them despite them (mostly) being clean...here's to hoping those hits bring you fans to your feet.

__________________
Your sarcasm isn't funny, it's cringe worthy.
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 01:55 AM
  #65
sparkle twin
Love you, Nashville
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
IMO he's a borderline #4, maybe an average #4. At that money you guys should like him.
With our top 4, I don't think most project him as more than a #5/6, unless an injury or something happens where he is temporarily in the top 4.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 09:41 AM
  #66
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
He's not good offensively, and overrated defensively. Takes dumb penalties at the wrong time and not particularly fast...one pet peeve about him is the attack tends to die once the puck touches his stick. He usually just dumps it in or takes a stupid soft shot (that usually hits someones leg lol). He's good on the PK though if you guys need that, aside from that there's really not much to say about him. IMO he's a borderline #4, maybe an average #4. At that money you guys should like him.


...oh yeah, and he can hit big. And I mean really really big.


He's gotta be one of the best open ice hitters and hip checkers in the league, like top 3 material. His hits tend to cause fights because most people don't like them despite them (mostly) being clean...here's to hoping those hits bring you fans to your feet.
You guys needed him to play almost 22 minutes a night. We need him to play 12

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 10:45 AM
  #67
JLP
Refugee
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalcitizen View Post
Do they use microwaves in Bridgestone? I'd hate to see him pee himself and forget his name for about 30 minutes.
Finally got this , thanks to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
excellent Cousin Eddie reference

Im looking forward to seeing what he brings.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:41 AM
  #68
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!
 
Larrybiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Hey guys......Rangers fan here. Congrats on your Cup venture as I was rooting hard for you. Hate those Pencils.

Anyone here think that this trade was sort of a "handshake" kind of deal with McPhee? Why would LV take Emelin, only to trade him for a 2019 3rd AND retain 1.2? Doesn't add up, has to be more to this. I know they have a minimum to meet, maybe that helped them?

You guys are so stacked with dmen now, there has to be another move brewing. You say Ekholm may be available to land Duschene? Good luck.

Larrybiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:43 AM
  #69
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!
 
Larrybiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
P.S. Tell Elvis LarryBiv has been asking for him.

Larrybiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:03 AM
  #70
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Schroedingers box
Country: United States
Posts: 25,209
vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrybiv View Post
Hey guys......Rangers fan here. Congrats on your Cup venture as I was rooting hard for you. Hate those Pencils.

Anyone here think that this trade was sort of a "handshake" kind of deal with McPhee? Why would LV take Emelin, only to trade him for a 2019 3rd AND retain 1.2? Doesn't add up, has to be more to this. I know they have a minimum to meet, maybe that helped them?

You guys are so stacked with dmen now, there has to be another move brewing. You say Ekholm may be available to land Duschene? Good luck.
no. McPhee isn't going to do Poile any favors or else he'd have taken someone other than Neal.

What happened is McPhee took more defensemen than he needed and thought the market for them would be better than it is, and had to get what he could after he found out the market was soft

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.