HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Old
07-10-2017, 04:03 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic89 View Post
I notice Edmonton sports radio focuses on the Oilers more than the Esks. Even in the middle of summer. Is that by order from radio head honchos or just because fans dont care enough about the Esks?
It's really Oilers all the time. Gregor is pretty good at mixing it up and adding a bit of everything, but people complain. Jamieson usually talks about Esks as he has ties, but people complain.

It is also worth mentioning that there was a divide between the Esks and the media in Edmonton. Curious to see if they become closer or what plays out there.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 07:31 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's really Oilers all the time. Gregor is pretty good at mixing it up and adding a bit of everything, but people complain. Jamieson usually talks about Esks as he has ties, but people complain.

It is also worth mentioning that there was a divide between the Esks and the media in Edmonton. Curious to see if they become closer or what plays out there.
What are you basing this on?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Took a pill in Sbisa
2showToffoliIwascool

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
What are you basing this on?
Gregor's repeatedly mentioned the Eskimoes lack of availability to the media and how far behind they are compared to the rest of the CFL.

Took a pill in Sbisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Del McPreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Took a pill in Sbisa View Post
Gregor's repeatedly mentioned the Eskimoes lack of availability to the media and how far behind they are compared to the rest of the CFL.
Has he said anything about it since Hervey got fired?

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 08:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Took a pill in Sbisa View Post
Terry Jones has only had a dozen articles as well

Old
07-11-2017, 08:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del McPreston View Post
Has he said anything about it since Hervey got fired?
I haven't heard anything lately, but I don't know that we will. I'm not sure any of the media is going to go out of their way to praise a team that cut them off.

Old
07-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Just read the last few posts here about the Media and Esks in Edmonton. I'm not a big Football fan, but I had followed the Esks pretty closely over the last 25 or so, sans the last couple of years. Do the Esks realize that the radio and Media are the teams voice to the fans? If I can't hear you talk, I'm pretty much ignoring your ass. Especially a fan like me who is ultimately fair weather when it comes to CFL. There's really no excitment whatsoever with this team IMO. They just exist.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Just read the last few posts here about the Media and Esks in Edmonton. I'm not a big Football fan, but I had followed the Esks pretty closely over the last 25 or so, sans the last couple of years. Do the Esks realize that the radio and Media are the teams voice to the fans? If I can't hear you talk, I'm pretty much ignoring your ass. Especially a fan like me who is ultimately fair weather when it comes to CFL. There's really no excitment whatsoever with this team IMO. They just exist.
It wasn't just the Esks, Chris Jones started the same thing in Saskatchewan. Worried about spies at practice or something stupid.

Considering the state of the CFL, if I'm a star of the league I'm asking this question. "Do I want to be comfortable all the time and not interact with fans or do I want to alienate the fans, but in a couple years from now my salary won't go up because the league revenues are flat lining or going down"

Old
07-11-2017, 06:39 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
It wasn't just the Esks, Chris Jones started the same thing in Saskatchewan. Worried about spies at practice or something stupid.

Considering the state of the CFL, if I'm a star of the league I'm asking this question. "Do I want to be comfortable all the time and not interact with fans or do I want to alienate the fans, but in a couple years from now my salary won't go up because the league revenues are flat lining or going down"
This isnt really about interacting with star players though. Its about access to the benches via live mics.
The CFL assumes that this is going to draw more fans...what a silly notion.
Most fans dont have a clue about what is being said and IMO it doesnt add anything to the game experience at all.

Its a nothing burger but the CFL in its infinite wisdom makes a big deal out of it.

Old
07-11-2017, 07:34 PM
abootzky

vCash: 500
One of Esks' president Len Rhodes' more shortsighted moves prior to his monumentally dumb firing of GM Ed Hervey was to grant CORUS Entertainment (Global Edmonton, 630 CHED, CISN Country, 92.5 Fresh FM) exclusive rights to radio and in-stadium broadcasting during Eskimos games. This 6 year agreement was reached without even bothering to solicit bids from other broadcasters. Not exactly a savvy business move on Rhodes' part and one that has to have alienated the numerous non-CORUS media outlets in our city.

Speaking of Ed Hervey, he has been brought aboard by Jason Gregor as a football analyst appearing on TSN 1260 from 5-6 pm every Tuesday.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 08:02 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
One of Esks' president Len Rhodes' more shortsighted moves prior to his monumentally dumb firing of GM Ed Hervey was to grant CORUS Entertainment (Global Edmonton, 630 CHED, CISN Country, 92.5 Fresh FM) exclusive rights to radio and in-stadium broadcasting during Eskimos games. This 6 year agreement was reached without even bothering to solicit bids from other broadcasters. Not exactly a savvy business move on Rhodes' part and one that has to have alienated the numerous non-CORUS media outlets in our city.
Why is this not at all surprising.

Quote:
Speaking of Ed Hervey, he has been brought aboard by Jason Gregor as a football analyst appearing on TSN 1260 from 5-6 pm every Tuesday.
Good for Ed. He will be excellent at that job and it will provide some much needed media experience/exposure.

Old
07-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Why is this not at all surprising.

Good for Ed. He will be excellent at that job and it will provide some much needed media experience/exposure.
Now that's a guy I'd tune into any day to listen to football talk....Gregor knows how to do it right. Same with getting Struds and the referee's (both hockey and football). Gregor has a good feel for the fanbase IMO...trying not to heap too much praise, but I really like his show and his style of doing things.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 08:45 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Now that's a guy I'd tune into any day to listen to football talk....Gregor knows how to do it right. Same with getting Struds and the referee's (both hockey and football). Gregor has a good feel for the fanbase IMO...trying not to heap too much praise, but I really like his show and his style of doing things.
Completely agree. I will be tuning in as well.

Old
07-12-2017, 09:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
This isnt really about interacting with star players though. Its about access to the benches via live mics.
The CFL assumes that this is going to draw more fans...what a silly notion.
Most fans dont have a clue about what is being said and IMO it doesnt add anything to the game experience at all.

Its a nothing burger but the CFL in its infinite wisdom makes a big deal out of it.
No the issue was the media's access to the team as a whole. The mics were just apart of it.

Like Gregor said he had Jason Maas on his show 0 times last year, but somehow he can have NHL coaches from other Cities on his show. How does that make any sense?

After the firing Gregor made it pretty clear that the access they had to the team was non-existent. It's fine that players and coaches want to have their privacy, but doing so comes with a huge risk.

Promoting the stars of the league at a local level needs to happen and that needs to happen via your local media.

Old
07-12-2017, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post

Is it odd that I had a chuckle over this?

Seems like a very subtle way to make your previous employer look even dumber, but without really doing anything directly towards them.

Either way I love it. Ed made for good radio when I've heard him in the past. Goes into a lot of detail with great passion. He's one of those guys that even if you don't fully understand him you just love to listen to him because you know how passionate and knowledgeable he is.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Yukon Joe

Wait - wasn't one of the reasons given for Hervey's firing was the lack of media availability? And now Hervey is going to be doing a weekly radio show?

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:58 PM
hockeyfanatic89

Someone ( Forget who) on the Oilers radio said Calgary was considering Dallas Eakins as an assistant. Anyone know if there is a truth to this? It was TSN radio.

hockeyfanatic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:14 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Wait - wasn't one of the reasons given for Hervey's firing was the lack of media availability? And now Hervey is going to be doing a weekly radio show?
I don't think Hervey himself has issues. He had done lots of interviews.

However, Maas and a lot of the players would have rather not dealt with the media, so the GM had their backs and made sure they felt comfortable.

Old
07-12-2017, 04:28 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
I don't think Hervey himself has issues. He had done lots of interviews.

However, Maas and a lot of the players would have rather not dealt with the media, so the GM had their backs and made sure they felt comfortable.
Maas is going to need to get with the program pretty soon or he's going to have a short career in this league too. This league isn't strong enough where the media can be ignored. If fans don't have a way to make a connection to players they won't develop an interest in them. They aren't going to bother buying tickets if they don't develop an interest. This is such a transient league that it's important for players to talk to the media. Get their stories out there. I don't remember it ever being a problem here before Jones and Hervey teamed up.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 08:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Maas is going to need to get with the program pretty soon or he's going to have a short career in this league too. This league isn't strong enough where the media can be ignored. If fans don't have a way to make a connection to players they won't develop an interest in them. They aren't going to bother buying tickets if they don't develop an interest. This is such a transient league that it's important for players to talk to the media. Get their stories out there. I don't remember it ever being a problem here before Jones and Hervey teamed up.
The odd thing that Gregor brought up was as a player Maas was very open, but as a coach he's not.

Old
07-19-2017, 09:23 AM
boosterjuice

I use the Tunein radio app. For some reason, 1260 has stopped broadcasting on that service this morning. Anyone else having issues??

boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 10:07 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
I use the Tunein radio app. For some reason, 1260 has stopped broadcasting on that service this morning. Anyone else having issues??
Yes me, too. It's likely only temporary. I've seen this before and just as suddenly it works.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
boosterjuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Yes me, too. It's likely only temporary. I've seen this before and just as suddenly it works.
I tried the iHeart app and it just sucks compared to TuneIn. No ability to pause or skip ahead.

boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Id suggest more people would rather listen to oilers talk rather than cfl talk in the summer, mostly because the cfl is an awful flawed product. Gregor also has/had that segment with the ex-cfl referee (steen?), that is horrible radio, terrible.

Not Robin Brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Robin Brownlee View Post
Id suggest more people would rather listen to oilers talk rather than cfl talk in the summer, mostly because the cfl is an awful flawed product. Gregor also has/had that segment with the ex-cfl referee (steen?), that is horrible radio, terrible.
I guess there's that. The Steen segment tends to be bad because it's a apology for poor officiating for the length of the segment.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote