HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MTL] Karl Alzner (5 years, $4.625M AAV)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2017, 12:58 PM
  #1026
Binary Code
How do I change that
 
Binary Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delirium
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Says a random guy on the internet.

As brought up by yours truly, another random guy on the internet.
Selective quoting I see

That's why I said you should wait until he plays the Habs system and then you have all the rights to say he's crap. You base your opinion on a player because of what you've read on HFB? I mean come on that's just silly

Binary Code is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 01:20 PM
  #1027
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan
 
Habaholicgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
No buts.

If this team wants to compete for a Cup, it needs to expect points out of its top four defencemen.

Alzner's career playoff best is four points. Aside from Chad Rudwehel and Mark Streit, every Pens D had five points or more in the playoffs.
The way you evaluate, you are never happy with any move the Habs make. So carry on...

Habaholicgolfer is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 01:24 PM
  #1028
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan
 
Habaholicgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
We'll "force" forwards to the outsides because that's how they'll blow by Alzner. The guy ain't exactly fast to begin with, let alone in 3-4 years.

Still I like him better than Emelin
This is my only concern. His foot speed. Can he get back to who he was before the hernia surgery. I think he is more reliable than Emelin.. plays smarter.

Habaholicgolfer is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 02:19 PM
  #1029
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
We just signed 29 year old Carey price to an 8 year deal. Groins are also important for goalies, no?
I don't like the Price contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
It's 2017. If you think our medical staff can't handle this then what are we even doing here??
Was Alzner even inspected by our medical staff? Moreover, Alzner was cleared to play 82 games by Washington's medical staff last year. Price was also cleared to start the 2015-16 season by ours as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
That iron man streak was our friend. Had Alzner rested up and came back healthy for the playoffs, who knows, they may have resigned him and we'd be counting on emelin again. Yikes!
Huh? Emelin was claimed by vegas.

I don't really see what Alzner does for us even if he does return to form. We had a hole at 1 LD before the signing, we have a hole there now.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 02:39 PM
  #1030
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Code View Post
Selective quoting I see

That's why I said you should wait until he plays the Habs system and then you have all the rights to say he's crap. You base your opinion on a player because of what you've read on HFB? I mean come on that's just silly
Never said he was "crap". The argument was about how Alzner is so much better than Emelin, just trying to add perspective. It is what it is, we've got him now. What else are we going to do? Go Alzner, deliver that jarring blow or block that shot or whatever it is he does.

Runner77 is online now  
Old
07-13-2017, 02:50 PM
  #1031
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If he breaks down?

He's on public record saying he can't open jars at home.

He's already broken down. Worst part is he was never any good to begin with.
Alzner-inspired "Iris" lyrics, by New Found Glory:

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's about me is broken
I just want you to know who I am

And I can't fight the tears that ain't coming
At the moment I couldn't open a jar
But a nice 5 year contract feels like the movies

Runner77 is online now  
Old
07-13-2017, 03:08 PM
  #1032
japhi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
No buts.

If this team wants to compete for a Cup, it needs to expect points out of its top four defencemen.

Alzner's career playoff best is four points. Aside from Chad Rudwehel and Mark Streit, every Pens D had five points or more in the playoffs.
Well duh, that defense went on a long run to the cup playing behind the best offense in the league. A healthy Alzner would have played top 4 on that team and had more than 5 points as well. The Pens big 2 carry everyones offensive numbers on that team.

japhi is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 03:17 PM
  #1033
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If he breaks down?

He's on public record saying he can't open jars at home.

He's already broken down. Worst part is he was never any good to begin with.
Lol at you taking his quote about his wife opening the jars are serious.

He was a top 4, top pairing guy at moments on a caps team that was one of the best at times, so its based on your definition of being any good..

habs03 is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 03:35 PM
  #1034
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Well duh, that defense went on a long run to the cup playing behind the best offense in the league. A healthy Alzner would have played top 4 on that team and had more than 5 points as well. The Pens big 2 carry everyones offensive numbers on that team.
Even healthy, Alzner wasn't getting more ice than Shattenkirk, Schmidt, Carlson, Orlov or Niskanen.

Captain Wolverine is online now  
Old
07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
  #1035
Charon
Registered User
 
Charon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
Even healthy, Alzner wasn't getting more ice than Shattenkirk, Schmidt, Carlson, Orlov or Niskanen.
Are you referring to Alzner in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure that Alzner was playing hurt most of the playoffs. I seem to remember the media and commentators talking about that during the Pens series. He didn't play most of the Toronto series, and Trotz was playing with 7 D for the last 5 games of the Pens series. After losing the first two games of that series (without him in the lineup), he was back in doing a fair amount of penalty killing with limited even strength (due to injury, the media suspected).

During the season, he was 4th in even strength ice time per game (behind Orlov, Niskanen and Carlson) and 1st in PK ice time per game.

Charon is offline  
Old
07-13-2017, 04:07 PM
  #1036
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Are you referring to Alzner in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure that Alzner was playing hurt most of the playoffs. I seem to remember the media and commentators talking about that during the Pens series. He didn't play most of the Toronto series, and Trotz was playing with 7 D for the last 5 games of the Pens series. After losing the first two games of that series (without him in the lineup), he was back in doing a fair amount of penalty killing with limited even strength (due to injury, the media suspected).

During the season, he was 4th in even strength ice time per game (behind Orlov, Niskanen and Carlson) and 1st in PK ice time per game.
This is true, but ignores the fact that Orlov and Schmidt passed him on the depth chart as the season went on. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, but he's a 4th D at best, and expecting the at best of a guy like Alzner is pretty naive. Especially with a fanbase that has seen a number of defensive D just fall apart. And over 4.5 AAV for a number 4 D is a luxury a team with brutal center depth and no top pair PMD cannot afford.

Captain Wolverine is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.