HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Question about KHL schedule

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2017, 07:25 AM
  #1
turk96
Registered User
 
turk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Question about KHL schedule

I'm planning a trip to Latvia in October and was hoping to catch a Riga game there. Looking at the newly released KHL schedule, it shows on October 26th a game between Riga and Omsk. However, there is no indication which is the home team. I'm assuming since Riga is listed first, they are the home squad? Is that the case?

Any help would be appreciated...

turk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:28 AM
  #2
hansomreiste
Registered User
 
hansomreiste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kocaeli
Country: Turkey
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk96 View Post
I'm planning a trip to Latvia in October and was hoping to catch a Riga game there. Looking at the newly released KHL schedule, it shows on October 26th a game between Riga and Omsk. However, there is no indication which is the home team. I'm assuming since Riga is listed first, they are the home squad? Is that the case?

Any help would be appreciated...
Avangard opens the season at home against Riga, so I assume that game in October is in Latvia, yes. I'm not sure how many times we (Avangard) play with the teams from western conference but given the huge distance, I think it is only one home and one away - so while I emphasize that I'm not %100 sure, it is very likely that this game in October will be in Riga.

By the way, where did you see the schedule? I recently checked KHL website but there was none I could come across. Though the full schedule was to be released today, so it might have come out already. Would you please share the link?

hansomreiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:31 AM
  #3
turk96
Registered User
 
turk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
It's on the official KHL site, both the English and Russian versions. Just click the schedule link on the top of the page. http://en.khl.ru/calendar/468/08/

But thank you for the help. It's very odd that they wouldn't put an "at" in there to indicate the home team somehow.

turk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:43 AM
  #4
hansomreiste
Registered User
 
hansomreiste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kocaeli
Country: Turkey
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk96 View Post
It's on the official KHL site, both the English and Russian versions. Just click the schedule link on the top of the page. http://en.khl.ru/calendar/468/08/

But thank you for the help. It's very odd that they wouldn't put an "at" in there to indicate the home team somehow.
Thank you, it wasn't there when I last checked not too long ago. I'd expect some more noise from KHL for the schedule release.

The game we are talking about is definitely in Riga, yes. In Europe, the team that comes first plays at home. So you guys in the US have two versions, the latter being used frequently,

Riga vs. Omsk (means Riga at home)
Omsk @ Riga (again, Omsk at Riga)

Though in Europe there is no such concept and they simply put home side first or on top depending on the displaying style. So unless there is a sign suggesting otherwise, the first team is always home. I would ask you what's so difficult about deducing that Riga is the home team here - but I had same problems with the system you use, like "Why on earth would you list away team first?" till seeing that magical "@" thing.

hansomreiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:53 AM
  #5
turk96
Registered User
 
turk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Yeah, I was 99% sure that was the case, as I've encountered this before when seeing KHL and other European league games. I just thought they would at least give some indication on the site that that was the case. Since it was the English language version of the KHL site I first saw it on, I wanted to be sure they hadn't adjusted it to fit the American format. I had to be certain before I started booking my flights and hotels.

Now if only I can find a schedule for the Latvian and Estonian leagues...

turk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:32 AM
  #6
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk96 View Post
Yeah, I was 99% sure that was the case, as I've encountered this before when seeing KHL and other European league games. I just thought they would at least give some indication on the site that that was the case. Since it was the English language version of the KHL site I first saw it on, I wanted to be sure they hadn't adjusted it to fit the American format. I had to be certain before I started booking my flights and hotels.

Now if only I can find a schedule for the Latvian and Estonian leagues...
I don't think the Latvian league schedule has been announced yet, but games should be already underway in October, usually they play at weekends, iirc.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:32 AM
  #7
CPFC
Registered User
 
CPFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk96 View Post

Now if only I can find a schedule for the Latvian and Estonian leagues...
Last year the Estonian "league" started the season during the latter half of October. Considering that the league has 3 clubs and the U21 national team playing in it, with two of the clubs being from Tallinn, there's a strong chance you will be able to watch hockey if you're in Tallinn around late October and afterwards.

CPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:48 AM
  #8
turk96
Registered User
 
turk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Thanks for the info. I would love to catch either a Latvian or Estonian league game (or both). We will be flying into Riga on the 25th of October, then leaving on the 27th to drive to Tallinn, taking three days to get there. So, we should be in Tallinn on the 30th and 31st. Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to catch a game or two besides the Dinamo Riga game. I love seeing European league games when I have a chance. I know many of these smaller leagues don't release schedules until the last minute, so I suppose I just have to hope I get lucky with the dates.

turk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:40 PM
  #9
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk96 View Post
It's on the official KHL site, both the English and Russian versions. Just click the schedule link on the top of the page. http://en.khl.ru/calendar/468/08/

But thank you for the help. It's very odd that they wouldn't put an "at" in there to indicate the home team somehow.
It is the european tradition to put the home team first. In all sports and leagues.

It is odd to Europeans to get used to the american form too.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:00 AM
  #10
turk96
Registered User
 
turk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
It is the european tradition to put the home team first. In all sports and leagues.

It is odd to Europeans to get used to the american form too.
I'm aware of the European format. I've seen many games in Europe, including KHL games. But given that was an English language site, I just wanted to make sure they hadn't adjusted it since there was no indication where the games were being played. Now that I know for sure, I can book my trip so I can see that game.

turk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:45 AM
  #11
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk96 View Post
I'm aware of the European format. I've seen many games in Europe, including KHL games. But given that was an English language site, I just wanted to make sure they hadn't adjusted it since there was no indication where the games were being played. Now that I know for sure, I can book my trip so I can see that game.
English still corelates to UK first in Europe. Adjustment to an american habit wouldn't be expected here. It is probably the same with Spanish in the US. You'd think first of Mexico and maybe Latin and South America countries and not Spain.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2017, 02:02 PM
  #12
turk96
Registered User
 
turk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
I understand your point. But it is my understanding that the English KHL site is geared towards American fans, not so much the UK. I just wanted to be absolutely positive about the game I wanted to attend being in Riga before I put down thousands of dollars on a trip.

turk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.