HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Bonus money for 2020-21

Old
07-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Bonus money for 2020-21

http://www.tsn.ca/as-cba-watch-grows...nuses-1.803846

It seems pretty obvious that players and agents are signing bonus heavy contracts for the 2020-21 season because bonuses are due July 1. Any strike or lockout is after that date.

The players usually cave because millionaires can't wait out billionaires. This looks like a big coffer of money so the players could sit out one or even two seasons.

The craziness is that the GMs are putting the players in a great position for a strike/lockout.

#sadface

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:28 PM
sharkhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

It seems pretty obvious that players and agents are signing bonus heavy contracts for the 2020-21 season because bonuses are due July 1. Any strike or lockout is after that date.

The players usually cave because millionaires can't wait out billionaires. This looks like a big coffer of money so the players could sit out one or even two seasons.

The craziness is that the GMs are putting the players in a great position for a strike/lockout.

#sadface
I said in another thread i could see this opening a rift in the players union between the stars who have the signing bonus and the vast majority of the union who doesn't. Mcdavid, Kane, Toews Price etc. will be sitting on huge piles of cash and the rest of the guys get nothing. If the stars are hardlining for things that only benefit them, how does that look to their teammates?

sharkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhawk View Post
I said in another thread i could see this opening a rift in the players union between the stars who have the signing bonus and the vast majority of the union who doesn't. Mcdavid, Kane, Toews Price etc. will be sitting on huge piles of cash and the rest of the guys get nothing. If the stars are hardlining for things that only benefit them, how does that look to their teammates?
That is a very interesting point. Rank and file will push for resolution so maybe this is the stars taking care of themselves and letting the rest fend for a CBA.

This might make a CBA deal more likely, not less. Personally I would like a fair deal, which I thought we had. 50-50 split of hockey revenue (Minus expansion fees. )

Hopefully a different system of escrow the players can accept, and the league throws some other bones the PA's way.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhawk View Post
In the NBA, LeBron, Chris Paul, Carmelo were all at the table during negotiations. So, for the NHLPA, who is going to sit at the table?

The superstars like McDavid, Karlsson, Doughty, Eichel, Mathews, Price or the rank and file type guys?

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:24 PM
IME

vCash: 50
I think we should also at the other side of the coin on this issue. Lockout-proof signing bonuses give less incentive for owners to hardline CBA negotiations. If the owner's best form of leverage—not paying the players—is reduced, that may convince owners to be more compromising in negotiations.

Also, don't think of this an NHLPA-orchestrated event. Agents have a duty to best protect their clients interest, and if they think there's even a remote chance that there will be a strike/lockout, then they will recommend signing bonuses to their clients. It might be professional malpractice not to.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 712
The star players make up a rather small percentage of the rank and file voters. They'll be comfortable with their bonus money but it really shouldn't effect how long a work stoppage lasts whatsoever. As goes the average player that makes up the bulk of the voters so will the stars.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 03:29 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
I think we should also at the other side of the coin on this issue. Lockout-proof signing bonuses give less incentive for owners to hardline CBA negotiations. If the owner's best form of leverage—not paying the players—is reduced, that may convince owners to be more compromising in negotiations.

Also, don't think of this an NHLPA-orchestrated event.
Agents have a duty to best protect their clients interest, and if they think there's even a remote chance that there will be a strike/lockout, then they will recommend signing bonuses to their clients. It might be professional malpractice not to.
Why? The NHL benefits a LOT more financially long term the better deal they can get out of the NHLPA. This increases their franchise values and it is a short term issue. Currently 25% of salaries for the 20/21 season are bonuses. If the NHL misses 50% of the season (it's usually been 40%), that still only means that they paid out 75% of players salaries (50%+25% currently SBs). Even if that goes up (likely will), that not a huge issue. It hurts them short term, but each passing CBA is something that gets built upon. For example they (the NHL) will never again allow contracts longer than 7/8 years and they will never again give more than 50% to the players. Which means long term, the NHL/owners can handle this a lot easier then the players can - especially as most of the players do not have the leverage to get heavy bonus laden contracts.

07-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
The star players make up a rather small percentage of the rank and file voters. They'll be comfortable with their bonus money but it really shouldn't effect how long a work stoppage lasts whatsoever. As goes the average player that makes up the bulk of the voters so will the stars.
The NHLPA has actually done a pretty good job over the years of ensuring that when they're missing games, they're doing so for the betterment of the entire NHLPA. I mean it would have been easy for the rank and file to cave on contract lengths last time right - 90% of them will never get the chance to earn a 8+ year deal. But they didn't. They know that anything they give up they will almost certainly never get back. It's one of the reasons both sides fight so hard with this.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 09:51 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

#sadface
If anything, I see this as a positive development. As far as leverage in locking players out goes, it's normally all on the owners. They lose *some* money, but the players lose all of their money during lockouts. I see this as a sign that a lockout is less likely, frankly, since the owners are more incentivized to get a return on their investments.

Edit: To the above point by Riptide - while you're not wrong, I think this is just one tiny piece of the puzzle. Not all owners are created equal - some have more runway than others on being profitable, and this could sow dissent for some of the lower margin teams, which creates less of a united front for negotiations. It's certainly not a deal-breaker (or maker, I guess in this instance) for their being a lockout, but it is a tiny weight on the side of the players that didn't previously exist that makes their negotiating position stronger.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote