HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey nation comparison

Old
04-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
Hockey nation comparison

To whoever comes from a 'hockey-playing' nation (so I'm thinking all you canadians, finns....), I was curious in getting a comparison between the number of hours/days per week a recreational, adult player might train/compete compared to us 'non-hockey' nations. Also on the cost of ice time.

Hockey is mainly recreational over here. I'd say the average adult player has 1 game per week, and possibly does 1-2 hours ice training per week. Cost for 1 hour usually would be about $AUD15-20. We have no backyard rinks or ponds

Also, out of the adult hockey player population - what proportion would you say is recreational? (Most?)

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
deanosaur

$10 a night on average
or something like $400 for 20-30 games 2 hours long. 1-3 games a week.
few hours a week average joe ill say
plus the winter season however, outdoor rinks atleast 2 hours everynight hahaha
weve got summer and winter leagues here in canada so basically all year round.
everyone goes hits up the outdoor rink, but those who play rec hockey... ill say.. 1:3 adults, maybe 1:2 depending where you from. manitoba its about 1:2 nothing else to do here.
some people i wouldnt even know they played hockey till i saw them on ice.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 12:37 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
$10 a night on average
or something like $400 for 20-30 games 2 hours long. 1-3 games a week.
few hours a week average joe ill say
plus the winter season however, outdoor rinks atleast 2 hours everynight hahaha
weve got summer and winter leagues here in canada so basically all year round.
everyone goes hits up the outdoor rink, but those who play rec hockey... ill say.. 1:3 adults, maybe 1:2 depending where you from. manitoba its about 1:2 nothing else to do here.
some people i wouldnt even know they played hockey till i saw them on ice.
I think you are exagarating those numbers somewhat, i'd say its more between 1/5-1/10 that play ice hockey on a regular basis in the winter.

edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hoc...ers_by_country

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I think you are exagarating those numbers somewhat, i'd say its more between 1/5-1/10 that play ice hockey on a regular basis in the winter.

edit:
That looks right. I'm on a pond 30+ hours/year, On the ice coaching 50+ hours a year, behind the bench 40+, and on the backyard rink countless hours(usually in my boots though and working on it more than not ).

Not sure if I fall in the 1.2% as I'm not in an organized league or even renting pick-up ice for myself.

I would guess the 1.2% would be closer to 2% if the male population was considered on it's own though in relative terms Canada probably has a high percentage of female players when compared to most other countries.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 02:36 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

edit:

for manitoba players... im not exagerrating the numbers.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
southpaw24

This past season i was on the ice roughly 6-8 hours a week in an arena and maybe 2-3 on the pond. During the summer im hoping for about 3 hours a week.

southpaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
This past season i was on the ice roughly 6-8 hours a week in an arena and maybe 2-3 on the pond. During the summer im hoping for about 3 hours a week.
i'd say during the season i'm on the ice between 6-8 hours per week in organized games and practices ( i help my boys' team so i'm on the ice with them plus i play on two teams).i'm also good for about 10-12 hours a week in the backyard.during the summer i'll play pickup twice a week for a total of about 4 hours.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:58 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
for manitoba players... im not exagerrating the numbers.
Yes, there's a big difference between Manitoba and Vancouver for ice time. Canada is a lot harder to measure than smaller countries because we're so spread out. Generally the lower population you have the more hockey players you get, while big urban centers like Vancouver or Toronto it gets too crowded and expensive. Calgary's a good city for recreational hockey, just starting out last year I found it very accessible with a few great beginners training/intake programs. But the city still doesn't have Manitoba like numbers.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Pangolin

Well.....

I'm in Hong Kong and there are about 350 recreational players (more during the summers)...
Cost to play is hella expensive comparatively...there's 1 NHL size rink and 1 rink where it's really only fit for 4-on-4 play...
The NHL size rink averages out to be around $24CAN a game...It's about $15CAN for a game on the small 4-on-4 rink...

Also, there's really no drop in, all games are league play and so there's not much you can choose from...

Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:37 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

How do you get your gear around in HK? Taxi?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Pangolin

I drive...
Most others hulk it around on the bus or the subway...it's a chore...

Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote