HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

The World's 50 Most Marketable Athletes

Old
07-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Llama19

vCash: 91
The World's 50 Most Marketable Athletes

To quote:

"Since its conception in 2010, this list has been all about evaluating marketing potential over the coming three-year period. It has never been an objective assessment of an athlete’s entire body of work, nor has it ever set out to rank those who make the most money from endorsements and sponsorship deals. Consider it as both a snapshot of the moment and a forecast for the future, a collection of calculated bets that seeks to spark debate whilst drawing closely upon the trends in an industry as obsessed with who’s next as much as who - and what - continues to set the standard."

Source: http://www.sportspromedia.com/most-marketable

At #15, and the only hockey player on the list...is...Connor McDavid...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:02 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

vCash: 500
No surprise to see Mcdavid there but Crosby is a big omission IMO.

07-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Indeed. With McDavid he's sort of the "It Guy", the "here & now flavour of the moment", ranked up there due to "potential". Matthews is another. Possibly Subban. Remains to be seen if he/they can actually be transcendent, identifiable, "a brand" in the mold of a Maurice Richard, Howe, Hull, Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky or Lemieux; let alone an off-beat, Bad Boy type like Derek Sanderson which doesnt appear even remotely likely..... Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin for various reasons nowhere in site. Never realized any meaningful sponsorship potential & at this stage in their respective careers clearly wont.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I believe this quote explains it:
Quote:
Likewise Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, two transcendental stars still at the top of their games, do not feature for the first time this year, the logic being that both have reached their commercial peak having long cemented their place in the pantheon of sporting greats. That those living legends no longer feature says nothing of their actual marketability, of course. It’s just that they’ve simply outgrown this list and no longer fit the criteria that underpin it, just as many of their illustrious peers have in the past.
Crosby isn't there for the same reason LeBron James isn't there. Because they've already cemented themselves.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I believe this quote explains it:

Crosby isn't there for the same reason LeBron James isn't there. Because they've already cemented themselves.
Then why is Lindsey Vonn on the list?

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Then why is Lindsey Vonn on the list?
Reading her page, she is making a Re-entry after injuries.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:14 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Indeed. With McDavid he's sort of the "It Guy", the "here & now flavour of the moment", ranked up there due to "potential". Matthews is another. Possibly Subban. Remains to be seen if he/they can actually be transcendent, identifiable, "a brand" in the mold of a Maurice Richard, Howe, Hull, Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky or Lemieux; let alone an off-beat, Bad Boy type like Derek Sanderson which doesnt appear even remotely likely..... Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin for various reasons nowhere in site. Never realized any meaningful sponsorship potential & at this stage in their respective careers clearly wont.
"Mario Lemueix, didn't he race F1?".

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
In his first 2 years in the NHL, McDavid doesn't come across much different than Sid Crosby when it comes to off-ice presence. Very much the humble quiet type. Not sure in today's social media world that is going to build a huge brand. Don't need to be like Lavar Ball (Lonzo is very quiet so he does need some tire pumping, although, I can't stand Lavar)

Example, Sid is sponsored by Gatorade, while LeBron is sponsored by Sprite. Both are the best in their sport. I would bet that LeBron's deal is multiple times more than what Sid is getting, probably at least 3 times just based on how well known LeBron is compared to Sid.

So, I don't know if McDavid will have that global reach especially in the US when he plays out of small market Edmonton.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:49 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
At #15, and the only hockey player on the list...is...Connor McDavid...
I don't want to knock McDavid but wouldn't the fact he plays in Edmonton hurt alot of his marketability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Example, Sid is sponsored by Gatorade, while LeBron is sponsored by Sprite. Both are the best in their sport. I would bet that LeBron's deal is multiple times more than what Sid is getting, probably at least 3 times just based on how well known LeBron is compared to Sid.
I would guess at least 10 times

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I don't want to knock McDavid but wouldn't the fact he plays in Edmonton hurt alot of his marketability?
Idk. Gretzky was pretty much everywhere as an Oiler.

Pure Slaughter Value is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:15 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value View Post
Idk. Gretzky was pretty much everywhere as an Oiler.
And his marketability increased tenfold when he got traded to LA

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote