HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out Of Town Thread - The Grass is Greener

Old
07-14-2017, 09:50 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Who gets to play in the 2018 Olympics?
Athletes. The good ones. You know, the guys and gals with some muscle and cardio and good hand-eye coordination?

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:56 PM
M.C.G. 31
BE HUMBLE

vCash: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Good news is we have 4 wingers as good or better then Palat. For all the moaning about our talent this guy plays behind Max and would battle for second best lw with AG.
He's one of the top defensive wingers in the entire league whose lowest PPG ratio is .64 in a season where he was out for 20 games. Palat would easily be in our top-6 and we don't have 4 wingers as good or better than him.

07-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityBytes View Post
Keep in mind Drouin was only traded because of the Vegas draft protection limit for TB otherwise Yzerman would have kept him.

Lamoriello also seems to think and say different. He has Reilly signed for five more years already and Marner and Matthews have two more years and only then their first non arbitrated RFA. Nylander for one year and then first RFA. They'll be moving JVR and Bozak to free up some cap for those guys. They have a lot of new upcoming top quality replacements to slot in there. In four more years it will be tougher for them but that is still four more years away.

Top four with big salaries and fill 'em up with ELCs, you'll see a lot more teams building like that.
Or they keep JVR and move one of the kids for character!

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:32 AM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
Or they keep JVR and move one of the kids for character!
Babcock loves Weber right?

Matthews+Rielly for Weber

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
Babcock loves Weber right?

Matthews+Rielly for Weber
LOL...
I admit there was more than a little tongue in cheek intended.
But the reality is they have options while we always manage to paint ourselves into corners. The poster's I side with have noticed this since about year two.
MB manages like Therrien coached never two outlets.

Old
07-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
OTOH we saw Drouin/Schenn/Stepan/Eberle all traded this summer.

Peaks and Valleys. Last years UFA crop was pretty strong (or at least star studded) this year its a lot weaker.

Once teams start paying their young stars 8/9/10 etc we will see more guys hit UFA as they won't be able to afford them all.

Leafs will have one of Reilly/Marner/Matthews/Nylander hit UFA or be traded just due to how much salary these 4 will eventually need to take up.
Not every GM let's go of their better players when they're in cap issues.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Not every GM let's go of their better players when they're in cap issues.
Not if there is a true chemistry and respect between the individuals.
One of the reasons The Hawks bit hard on their core and the Pens seem to be doing the same thing.
My question has always been what took them so long but then again... MAF

Old
07-15-2017, 12:49 PM
M.C.G. 31
BE HUMBLE

Quote:
OTOH we saw Drouin/Schenn/Stepan/Eberle all traded this summer.

Peaks and Valleys. Last years UFA crop was pretty strong (or at least star studded) this year its a lot weaker.

Once teams start paying their young stars 8/9/10 etc we will see more guys hit UFA as they won't be able to afford them all.

Leafs will have one of Reilly/Marner/Matthews/Nylander hit UFA or be traded just due to how much salary these 4 will eventually need to take up.
I don't recall Pittsburgh letting one of Malkin/Crosby/Letang hit UFA.

Or Chicago letting one of Kane/Toews/Keith/Seabrook/Crawford hit UFA.

The Leafs will fit all of them under and populate the rest of the lineup with good depth/younger players on ELCs, like Chicago.

The only way I can see Nylander being moved is if they get a top-pairing RHD that's young or prime-aged on a good contract.

You don't let your best players go to ease a cap crunch. You roll with them and rely on them to be your best and find good depth.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:06 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
I don't recall Pittsburgh letting one of Malkin/Crosby/Letang hit UFA.

Or Chicago letting one of Kane/Toews/Keith/Seabrook/Crawford hit UFA.

The Leafs will fit all of them under and populate the rest of the lineup with good depth/younger players on ELCs, like Chicago.

The only way I can see Nylander being moved is if they get a top-pairing RHD that's young or prime-aged on a good contract.

You don't let your best players go to ease a cap crunch. You roll with them and rely on them to be your best and find good depth.
In 10 years the cap went up by 13 Million. Lets see if there is that much growth in the cap over the next 10 years. If not then lots of teams with young stars will be in trouble. They might be able to reatin 2 or 3 or eve 4 of them but then they will have to let their 2nd tier players go. And if you are playing with really talented players these 2nd tier players are going to have good numbers as well.

Chicago is getting there now with Towes/Kane at 10.5. They were thinking of trading Seabrook and I am sure they are thanking their lucky stars that Hossa got this alergy all of a sudden.

Nash in a few years is going to be in the same boat when Ellis+Jossi+RJ all command big salaries and they already have PK at 9.

EDM already has to worry about Drai+McD.

scrubadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
In 10 years the cap went up by 13 Million. Lets see if there is that much growth in the cap over the next 10 years. If not then lots of teams with young stars will be in trouble. They might be able to reatin 2 or 3 or eve 4 of them but then they will have to let their 2nd tier players go. And if you are playing with really talented players these 2nd tier players are going to have good numbers as well.

Chicago is getting there now with Towes/Kane at 10.5. They were thinking of trading Seabrook and I am sure they are thanking their lucky stars that Hossa got this alergy all of a sudden.

Nash in a few years is going to be in the same boat when Ellis+Jossi+RJ all command big salaries and they already have PK at 9.

Lol yes...im sure theyre "worried" ..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:21 PM
M.C.G. 31
BE HUMBLE

Quote:

They're definitely not worrying about two franchise studs like Drai and McDavid being locked up. You worry if you have a ******, declining player making big money on the wrong side of 30 eating up cap. Not having two franchise caliber centers like McDavid and Draisaitl making big money being as young as they are.

The upcoming lockout will probably do something to address cap growth, but it may not even have to if the Canadian dollar continues to trend upwards.

Old
07-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Quote:
They're definitely not worrying about two franchise studs like Drai and McDavid being locked up. You worry if you have a ******, declining player making big money on the wrong side of 30 eating up cap. Not having two franchise caliber centers like McDavid and Draisaitl making big money being as young as they are.

The upcoming lockout will probably do something to address cap growth, but it may not even have to if the Canadian dollar continues to trend upwards.
It should continue to trend upwards as major Canadian banks have steered away from the volatile black gold market in the last 2 years and invested in other venues instead.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Raimu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Close to it probably.

Maybe Shatt? Gaborik?
On the flip side, how do Kings fans seem to wish they could get rid of Gaborik.

And that Shattenkirk contract is gonna look rough sooner than later.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:05 PM
M.C.G. 31
BE HUMBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
On the flip side, how do Kings fans seem to wish they could get rid of Gaborik.

And that Shattenkirk contract is gonna look rough sooner than later.
He's 28 and it's only a 4-year deal.

Old
07-16-2017, 08:21 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
He's 28 and it's only a 4-year deal.
Exactly, not a bad deal at all.

Defensively not great but he makes it up with Elite offense.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Pompeius Magnus

People are putting a lot of faith in big Leon's ability to carry a first line as a center at this point in his young career. I'm not so sure it's a risk worth taking given what it would cost to get him via an hostile offer. Let alone making him the highest paid guy on a team, by a wide margin, for 8 years. I'd rather bet the farm on Tavares, if it's at all possible. At least he's a proven commodity.

Pompeius Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 01:31 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
People are putting a lot of faith in big Leon's ability to carry a first line as a center at this point in his young career. I'm not so sure it's a risk worth taking given what it would cost to get him via an hostile offer. Let alone making him the highest paid guy on a team, by a wide margin, for 8 years. I'd rather bet the farm on Tavares, if it's at all possible. At least he's a proven commodity.
Well because he's a huge 21 year old centre. They don't come around often, as we all know. No need to sell the farm for him either, just picks (if it's a successful RFA signing). And despite people saying he benefitted playing with McDavid, I believe he was on his own line in the playoffs and almost got double the points of Connor. He was an absolute force out there.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:20 PM
japhi

http://www.tsn.ca/caps-kuznetsov-cas...erest-1.808586

So Kuz bent the Caps over a barrel with KHL leverage. If I was a GM I wouldn't touch Russians. Not worth the extra KHL risk.

japhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Chili

So some AHL players (on AHL contracts) will be allowed to go to the Olympics?

I'm just curious how this will all effect the next cba negotiations if the NHL really doesn't go to Korea.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:55 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:

So Kuz bent the Caps over a barrel with KHL leverage. If I was a GM I wouldn't touch Russians. Not worth the extra KHL risk.
Price and Subban been Habs over too, no Canadians?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:56 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
So some AHL players (on AHL contracts) will be allowed to go to the Olympics?

I'm just curious how this will all effect the next cba negotiations if the NHL really doesn't go to Korea.
Smokescreen as the NHL WILL be going to Beijing in 22.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:52 PM
the

vCash: 50
Quote:

the is offline   Reply With Quote