Brendan Lemieux 21 19.27%
Nelson Nogier 7 6.42%
Santeri Virtanen 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Jets4Life

vCash: 500
Oh God, please don't let this vote end up in another dreaded tie.

Jets4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 06:35 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Only July 16th we do have some time to kill

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:45 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
30 minutes left in the voting and Foley is one vote behind.

Both are mid 3 rd selections but 2015 was a deeper draft and Foley has proven more at the N.C.A.A level.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:56 AM
jetsfaneh

No Lemieux yet??

Guys like Lemieux and Nogier will most likely play some games with the big club this year.

Say what you want about Lemieux but he will do better in a very defined role on a checking/energy line. Much like Nogier showed well last year despite not turning heads with the Moose. They may lack the flash and dash of other players but when you are plugging holes on the 4th line and bottom d pairing you are not looking for monster point getters and guys who dominate the lower ranks.

This year's prospect voting list seems particularly bad. Elevating defenseman because it's a need. Over ranking players due to draft position. Devaluing players with a clearer path to the NHL.

jetsfaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:13 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

@jetsfan: I don't know about others, but I value upside, and I'm willing to give the prospects time to ripen and mature in the C/AHL/Liiga, etc. I don't much care about draft position - I voted for Spacek earlier, and he wasn't a super early round pick.

For me, someone like Samberg has a higher upside than Nogier. You're obviously welcome to vote for those who are closer to entering the league, but I would not be surprised if others are voting for upside.

In the end, it's all good fun, and a democratic process - don't like it? Make your case for players, as you've done here. Personally, I see Lemieux getting time with the Jets this year too, and Nogier may end up as an injury replacement again, knowing how our luck has been. That doesn't signal a better prospect for me.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:16 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
Guys like Lemieux and Nogier will most likely play some games with the big club this year.

Say what you want about Lemieux but he will do better in a very defined role on a checking/energy line. Much like Nogier showed well last year despite not turning heads with the Moose. They may lack the flash and dash of other players but when you are plugging holes on the 4th line and bottom d pairing you are not looking for monster point getters and guys who dominate the lower ranks.

This year's prospect voting list seems particularly bad. Elevating defenseman because it's a need. Over ranking players due to draft position. Devaluing players with a clearer path to the NHL.
Well that is your opinion. Since none of these guys have officially made the NHL full time yet we are all projecting and voting on a few different things here but just having a cup of coffee in the NHL is not high on my list. Lemiuex struggled last season and he is a head case that takes WAY too many penalties. At this point I don't see a functional role for him on the Jets but he does have the brand recognition so knock yourself out if you have him above the guys that are already on this list. Maybe Brendan improves but I don't want a guy who is a wannabe tough guy running around causing us to play shorthanded more than we already do.

Old
07-16-2017, 09:32 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Well that is your opinion. Since none of these guys have officially made the NHL full time yet we are all projecting and voting on a few different things here but just having a cup of coffee in the NHL is not high on my list. Lemiuex struggled last season and he is a head case that takes WAY too many penalties. At this point I don't see a functional role for him on the Jets but he does have the brand recognition so knock yourself out if you have him above the guys that are already on this list. Maybe Brendan improves but I don't want a guy who is a wannabe tough guy running around causing us to play shorthanded more than we already do.
One thing I have found interesting the last few years is that we recalled a lot of guys due to injury, many of those guys were struggling with the Moose, but most of them played very well when recalled and looked better in the NHL. Sometimes it's hard to predict how guys will look making the last jump, as playing with the best players in the world sure helps. I get that they probably have extra jump playing in their first few NHL games but Id be curious to see Lemieux play on the fourth line with Lowry and Matthias in the pre season to see how he looks. He can skate and has a knack for scoring around the net. I know Dano and him are similar in toughness and net greasiness and Dano is farther ahead but maybe Lemieux can turn it around?

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:37 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
One thing I have found interesting the last few years is that we recalled a lot of guys due to injury, many of those guys were struggling with the Moose, but most of them played very well when recalled and looked better in the NHL. Sometimes it's hard to predict how guys will look making the last jump, as playing with the best players in the world sure helps. I get that they probably have extra jump playing in their first few NHL games but Id be curious to see Lemieux play on the fourth line with Lowry and Matthias in the pre season to see how he looks. He can skate and has a knack for scoring around the net. I know Dano and him are similar in toughness and net greasiness and Dano is farther ahead but maybe Lemieux can turn it around?
I have not written Brendan off and I do think he is going to have a much better season (it couldn't get much worse). He might eventually play a functional NHL role "if" he can get his penalty differentials in line but I was just responding to the post that seemed to assume he was being devalued on this poll and I don't agree with that at all.

Last edited by ps241: 07-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old
07-16-2017, 10:35 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Damn, I gotta start saving my vote for the end. That would really drive up its selling price.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 04:27 PM
NarcoPolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Kovacevic. I think he's very under rated and no one talked about him till pick 10. He will climb the ladder quicker than Poolman. Should turn pro in the spring.
As a lurking outsider, I agree with this. Really like his game.

NarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:

There's no question it's a weaker crop this year. You've got your clear top 3, and then it's pretty close the rest of the way.

As an example, you've got Niku at #4, Kovacevic at #11; it's pretty much a coin flip AFAIC who will end up being the better pro. Not hard to see why many are just going with perceived upside and who they "like" better.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Neither Nogier or Lemieux will ever be full-time NHLers, IMO. I wouldn't have either in the top 15 of Jets prospects. Nogier was terrible in his Jets time last year, just ok at AHL level. I never seen the hype with Nogier, he just doesn't have upside.
Lemieux has yet to show he can smart enough on the ice to be a useful NHL player.

Lots of these other players are further away, but they upside that one day they might be NHL regulars. I would rather vote for a guy who has a chance to plays 82 NHL games in a season 4/5 years from now than a guy who has a chance to play 10 NHL games this year.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:23 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Nogier played well in his 10 game stint. Based on last year's play I would rather call him up than Melchiori.
Nogier played over 10 minutes of ice time ( 13 min high) in 8 of the 10 games he played. He was a minus 1.
When he played he played a safe game and made the quick easy pass head manning the puck to our skilled forwards.

I would prefer to have Nogier not play on the Jets this year (Meaning our defence stays healthy). But I am happy we have him in reserve.

He looks Vetter on the Ice at the N.H.L. level than he does at the A.H.L. level.

Old
07-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
@jetsfan: I don't know about others, but I value upside, and I'm willing to give the prospects time to ripen and mature in the C/AHL/Liiga, etc. I don't much care about draft position - I voted for Spacek earlier, and he wasn't a super early round pick.

For me, someone like Samberg has a higher upside than Nogier. You're obviously welcome to vote for those who are closer to entering the league, but I would not be surprised if others are voting for upside.

In the end, it's all good fun, and a democratic process - don't like it? Make your case for players, as you've done here. Personally, I see Lemieux getting time with the Jets this year too, and Nogier may end up as an injury replacement again, knowing how our luck has been. That doesn't signal a better prospect for me.
Sure, but I'm not sure Spacek has a better probability of being a good top-6 scorer than Nogier does of being a Josh Manson type of shutdown D. I think both are longshots. I still like Spacek as a prospect better, but I'm not really sold on his upside.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:21 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Sure, but I'm not sure Spacek has a better probability of being a good top-6 scorer than Nogier does of being a Josh Manson type of shutdown D. I think both are longshots. I still like Spacek as a prospect better, but I'm not really sold on his upside.
Type? Well stlylistically is easier than performance to say someone can reach. If you say Manson type performance, I'll take your bet.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:41 AM
vpenner27

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Neither Nogier or Lemieux will ever be full-time NHLers, IMO. I wouldn't have either in the top 15 of Jets prospects. Nogier was terrible in his Jets time last year, just ok at AHL level. I never seen the hype with Nogier, he just doesn't have upside.
Lemieux has yet to show he can smart enough on the ice to be a useful NHL player.

Lots of these other players are further away, but they upside that one day they might be NHL regulars. I would rather vote for a guy who has a chance to plays 82 NHL games in a season 4/5 years from now than a guy who has a chance to play 10 NHL games this year.
What? He played a responsible, safe game and was quite competent in getting the puck up to the forwards. For a small stint while playing with a pylon in Stu I don't think he could have done much better.

vpenner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:10 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I too didn't see anything positive from Nogier's time as a Jet... :shrug emoji:

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
csk

Nogier did better than I was expecting... that doesn't mean he did well. For a guy that is below average in the AHL, the fact that he treaded water in the NHL is an accomplishment.

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Edit duplicate

Old
07-17-2017, 11:58 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
Nogier did better than I was expecting... that doesn't mean he did well. For a guy that is below average in the AHL, the fact that he treaded water in the NHL is an accomplishment.

The sad thing is.

In 2 years..... if Stanley has a 10 game call up and performs as Nogier did......... we will all be doing cart wheels and high 5 ing on these boards.