HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Paris and Los Angeles will host the Olympics in 2024 and 2028

Old
07-13-2017, 06:51 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It has been consistently demonstrated that people leave town for the Olympics. It's actually one of the reasons that cities are reluctant to host the Olympics: residents leave town fearing massive crowds and the projected tourist numbers never show up completely because people are also afraid of massive crowds. Local businesses tend to do very poorly from the event.
Never knew that about local businesses. Doesn't surprise me about locals leaving. I remember while NYC was in the bidding for the 2012 games, everyone I knew said either A) they were going on vacation during that time or B) going to try to find a way to make money, i.e. be an "uber" driver before we even had "uber".

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:18 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Residents = horses

Most existing equestrian venues house horses in permanent stalls. Not that large a transient equine population for events. Now Olympics there will be many hundreds of additional horses.

Good for all but cross country.

GGF is 6-8 hours by truck. Los Alamitos 6+ hours I believe and very hot in summer.
Los Alamitos is in LA I thought? The track recently had work done too to accomodate races bigger than their sub 4furlong sprints. Not sure how the rest of the facility looks though.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 11:19 AM
rj

Quote:
1) Rather than award to a city, award to a country. So, instead of Prague hosting, the entire Czech Republic is hosting and spread the events out.
That's kind of already being done. The 2022 Winter Games are essentially a dual site event, with the ice events being held in Beijing and the snow events being held about 500 miles away in the Chinese mountains.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 11:21 AM
rj

Quote:
It has been consistently demonstrated that people leave town for the Olympics. It's actually one of the reasons that cities are reluctant to host the Olympics: residents leave town fearing massive crowds and the projected tourist numbers never show up completely because people are also afraid of massive crowds. Local businesses tend to do very poorly from the event.
The problem is it can be consistently demonstrated whatever you want based on whatever your job is and the ability to find an economist or news reporter to say whatever you desire if you pay him or her. The Boston bid was an epic disaster of disconnect from the locals, as were all the failed European 2022 bids that pulled out of the running one after another, so that the IOC were left with a non-choice between Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Beijing/Zhangjiakou, China.

Old
07-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
You Must Be Tired

vCash: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Los Alamitos is in LA I thought? The track recently had work done too to accomodate races bigger than their sub 4furlong sprints. Not sure how the rest of the facility looks though.
I'm unfamiliar with any and all things relating to horses and horse racing, but Los Alamitos is just barely across the county line in Orange County. Location-wise that wouldn't be an issue at all, but I know nothing more about the facility than its location.

As for transportation around LA...it's going to be awful because it's always awful, but there's also the fact that Metro Rail didn't even exist in 1984 and a lot of the expansions would be ready in time for 2024/28.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 07-13-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:22 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Never knew that about local businesses. Doesn't surprise me about locals leaving. I remember while NYC was in the bidding for the 2012 games, everyone I knew said either A) they were going on vacation during that time or B) going to try to find a way to make money, i.e. be an "uber" driver before we even had "uber".
There's usually an official Olympic travel "partner" who almost always sets up a pop-up version of AirBnB. People leave, sometimes visitors will live in that house for parts of the games. I don't know how successful that program is, and there's the obvious potential problems with someone trashing your home, but the general process is kind of symbiotic when run right.

Another part of the reason I enjoyed Salt Lake was that a friend of my sister had her parents' house available for the middle weekend. Short drive into town vice staying 35 miles the other side of Athens or, well, Langley. LA was such that me and my father stayed in a not-quite Orange County suburban chain motel for only twice the normal rate; worked out fine.

BTW... this whole discussion about requiring permanent stables is BS. Not how it worked in Atlanta, and while the IOC has gotten way too big for its britches, they weren't TOTALLY trying to stick forks in their cities. A truly despotic IOC might have mandated a new artificial lake for rowing in Rio, after all.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:17 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Oh ok. Yeah, I could not care less about the horse that are barned there full-time. They could be relocated temporarily to a different barn. Call it a horsie vacation.
Equestrians would curse your name. (And most owners are not the bluebloods that have the $$ to move their animals around. They stable where they do as it's the most convenient to their home/work. So having to relocate would be $$ and cut down on their ability to "play" with their horse(s).)

There are not a lot of "other" facilities to relocate the horses to (it's a nightmare when places have to get evacuated due to wildfires). Places like race courses have a majority of (permanent) transient stabling as most animals come in for race meet and then head out.

LA County fairgrounds (Pomona) might have some facilities.

Not from SoCal so I was thinking of place in New Mexico.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Equestrians would curse your name. (And most owners are not the bluebloods that have the $$ to move their animals around. They stable where they do as it's the most convenient to their home/work. So having to relocate would be $$ and cut down on their ability to "play" with their horse(s).)

There are not a lot of "other" facilities to relocate the horses to (it's a nightmare when places have to get evacuated due to wildfires). Places like race courses have a majority of (permanent) transient stabling as most animals come in for race meet and then head out.

LA County fairgrounds (Pomona) might have some facilities.

Not from SoCal so I was thinking of place in New Mexico.
that's why I said Delmar and/or Los Al, LS

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 01:36 AM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
That's kind of already being done. The 2022 Winter Games are essentially a dual site event, with the ice events being held in Beijing and the snow events being held about 500 miles away in the Chinese mountains.
This has become a common thing for the Winter Olympics because they are no longer capable of being hosted by ski towns. You need a decent-sized city and a ski town in order to make it work.

I think real World Cup style national hosting makes the most sense. So for example, Canada could invest money all across the country in order to host a summer games... then you end up with a world-class velodrome in Edmonton and an Olympic standard pool in Halifax instead of concentrating development in one city. This would also make hosting events like the Pan Am Games or the Commonwealth Games easier, the infrastructure would already exist.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:26 AM
rj

Quote:
This has become a common thing for the Winter Olympics because they are no longer capable of being hosted by ski towns. You need a decent-sized city and a ski town in order to make it work.

I think real World Cup style national hosting makes the most sense. So for example, Canada could invest money all across the country in order to host a summer games... then you end up with a world-class velodrome in Edmonton and an Olympic standard pool in Halifax instead of concentrating development in one city. This would also make hosting events like the Pan Am Games or the Commonwealth Games easier, the infrastructure would already exist.
It completely goes against the IOC's own stated philosophy for "downsizing the Games", Project 2020. Now they don't really want to downsize the Games, but they want to have multiple bidders to choose from, and the 2022 Games bidding where Krakow and Oslo pulled out after public outcry was a real disaster for them. For the choice of China and Kazakhstan, based on their own stated goals with Project 2020, Kazakhstan should've won. They wanted to get away from exorbitant grandiose expense and they chose the bid that was exorbitant grandiose expense. Almaty was at least everything there at a single site.

And also, it's not like we're talking an hour's drive to the ski town, Zhangjiakou is 500 miles away from Beijing and I think the one connection is they're building a railroad to it from Beijing. That's like hosting an Olympics in Seattle and the 2nd site is in the middle of Montana.

Old
07-15-2017, 08:52 AM
PSGJ

The easiest way to downsize the games would be to allow them to take place over a longer period of time, a month instead of just two weeks and a weekend.

That way many more arenas can be used for multiple sports and there would be less need for infrastructure improvements if the visitors are more spread out in time.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 12:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
The easiest way to downsize the games would be to allow them to take place over a longer period of time, a month instead of just two weeks and a weekend.

That way many more arenas can be used for multiple sports and there would be less need for infrastructure improvements if the visitors are more spread out in time.
Followed 10 days later by 11 days of Paralympics.

Or about six weeks of games (with break).

So, you'd extend that to 8 weeks?

Old
07-16-2017, 10:40 AM
la patineuse

Quote:
I can't imagine there is no equestrian venue in the LA area. Whether it can accommodate enough spectators is one thing, but they could build temporary bleachers, if necessary.

Residents would not need to be displaced. Worst case, you do away with the athlete dorms and put them in hotels or use dorms at the colleges. If it is done in July and August, there should be enough empty dorms between USC, UCLA and all the other schools in the area. And obviously, could build athlete dorms that would then be sold as condos/rented.
Athletes will be housed at UCLA and the media center will be at USC.

la patineuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:01 PM
PSGJ

Quote:
Followed 10 days later by 11 days of Paralympics.

Or about six weeks of games (with break).

So, you'd extend that to 8 weeks?
I don't really know what Arena requirements the Paralympics have, but assuming they don't have to change, yes.

For instance. In Rio, popular indoor sports basketball and handball were held in different arenas. By extending the games in times those sports can be held in the same generic indoor arena. The same can be done for sports of course. Some arenas are specialty arenas so you can't quite cut the number of arenas in half, but you can definitely reduce it.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:47 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/tok...continue-2019/

Tokyo facing doubling of costs from initial bid estimate.
Quote:
The estimated cost of hosting the games has doubled to 1.4 trillion yen ($12.6 billion) from the 730 billion yen ($6.6 billion) that was proposed when Tokyo won the bid in 2013.

Tokyo has cut some costs by shifting to temporary facilities and pre-existing ones, including some outside Tokyo, instead of building new facilities.

Muto said 60 per cent of the venues are existing ones, and 40 per cent are outside Japan’s capital.

Old
07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
At this point, hosting the Olympics has become such an albatross that it's almost something you'd wish on an enemy.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 04:34 PM
pbgoalie

they used a golf course in the 84 olympics for cross country question events, and given the state of some golf courses in the greater LA area, there is likely a couple of course owners who would rent the facility to the Olympics for the events

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 04:38 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/tok...continue-2019/

Tokyo facing doubling of costs from initial bid estimate.
That basically is the case every time you build something big these days, be it a venue or some infrastructure project.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgoalie View Post
they used a golf course in the 84 olympics for cross country question events, and given the state of some golf courses in the greater LA area, there is likely a couple of course owners who would rent the facility to the Olympics for the events
.... say what?.... do you mean equestrian events? Hunters & Jumpers along with Dressage & CC?.... Because if so, yes, they were split up, the former two disciplines held at Santa Anita Racetrack while the 3 Day Eventing cross-country equine event's held at Fairbanks Ranch Country Club in San Diego, which opened in 1984.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Skallagrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
Per Wikipedia:
The Chinese Olympic Committee nominated Beijing as the candidate city for the 2022 Winter Olympics on November 3, 2013. In addition, Zhangjiakou is the joint city for the bidding.[1] Zhangjiakou is located 190 kilometres (120 mi) northwest of Beijing.

"500 miles away" is a gross exaggeration

Skallagrim is offline   Reply With Quote