Notices

Peterborough Petes 2017 Offseason Thread

Old
07-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Petes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV View Post
There's a good chance of this because he's the youngest but he might also be the third best puck mover/skater of the available options. This is definitely my bias to puck movers/offensive/good first pass defencemen coming through but... you really need a few of those guys and beyond Timms and Chisholm, I don't see it. Fraser has steadily improved and I'm sure will be solid in a top 4 role - they'll need him to be. Maybe because he's big and tough, his offensive skills get a bit underrated.

I really hope the Petes get some big contributions this year from McNamara/Babintsev/Beraldo/Supryka, but can we really expect that? And is Black more than a 5/6 D? Long term, I like the look of this D a lot, but not sure about next year...
I think that McNamara and Babintsev both project as puck movers as well from what I've read.... Beraldo more of a shutdown guy. But I agree... the current group doesn't exactly get me super excited about next season..... What I do like though, is we have a lot of young guys with talent and they will all battle each other every night to get in the lineup.

Hopefully our forwards will be so good they won't have to play in our own end very much.... Tammela or Korostelev would help with that

Last edited by Petes: 07-15-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Petes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV View Post
There's a good chance of this because he's the youngest but he might also be the third best puck mover/skater of the available options. This is definitely my bias to puck movers/offensive/good first pass defencemen coming through but... you really need a few of those guys and beyond Timms and Chisholm, I don't see it. Fraser has steadily improved and I'm sure will be solid in a top 4 role - they'll need him to be. Maybe because he's big and tough, his offensive skills get a bit underrated.

I really hope the Petes get some big contributions this year from McNamara/Babintsev/Beraldo/Supryka, but can we really expect that? And is Black more than a 5/6 D? Long term, I like the look of this D a lot, but not sure about next year...
NV, you've nailed it with your analysis of the situation on D.

If Beraldo can be solid in his own end, I see the possible pairings as:
Timms - Fraser
Chisholm - Beraldo
Black - Babintsev
McNamara
Supryka

Fraser will be away at the start of the season in Detroit for the prospects tournament (Sept. 8th - 12th) and training camp (15th - 18th) and Timms will likely be invited to Vegas' camp or elsewhere.

The Petes' exhibition schedule will give Beraldo, McNamara, Babintsev and Supryka an opportunity to play higher on the depth chart and show that they can handle the speed and size of the OHL. The Petes' exhibition schedule is broken up nicely. Three games at the OHL showcase in Buffalo (Sept. 1 -3) and then three games two weeks later (Sept. 14 -17).

It is disappointing that there is only 1 exhibition game at home (Sept. 14th vs Oshawa).

The real games start on the following Thursday Sept. 21st versus OHL champion Erie Otters.

Bra Wavers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:46 AM
Radzy

I think the OAs are going to be Tammela, Korostolev, Spencer

My lines would be this

Tammela-Gallant-Korostolev
Isaacson-Paquette-Ang
Robertson-SDA-Gogolev
???-Penetta-Denault

I would Trade/Cut
Timleck, Schultz, McKinnon, DeNoble, Rollo, Coyle

Spencer-Chisholm
Timms-Babinstev
Fraser-McNamara
ex Beraldo and Supryka

Trade
Black, Henley (Probably going to school)

on a side note about defence rumour has it that Lalonde wants out of Sudbury and I believe he was a 2nd overall pick I imagine we could find room for him on our team

Goalies
Wells
Jones

Radzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzy View Post
I think the OAs are going to be Tammela, Korostolev, Spencer

My lines would be this

Tammela-Gallant-Korostolev
Isaacson-Paquette-Ang
Robertson-SDA-Gogolev
???-Penetta-Denault

I would Trade/Cut
Timleck, Schultz, McKinnon, DeNoble, Rollo, Coyle

Spencer-Chisholm
Timms-Babinstev
Fraser-McNamara
ex Beraldo and Supryka

Trade
Black, Henley (Probably going to school)

on a side note about defence rumour has it that Lalonde wants out of Sudbury and I believe he was a 2nd overall pick I imagine we could find room for him on our team

Goalies
Wells
Jones
I'll let NV respond to this in detail......he is a far better writer than I am and there are just too many issues here. To be fair though, the off-season is the season of speculation, no matter how far-fetched.

Old
07-16-2017, 01:57 AM
Radzy

I took a look at the past drafts from 2014-2016 and there is some talent there if the Petes could get them signed.
The 3 forwards I like are
Bryce Misley*
Bobby Dow*
Colton Kalezic
The 2 Defence man I like are
Cameron Crotty*
Nicolas Favaro
*NCAA Committed
I know 3 of the players are a bit of a reach Misley, Dow and Crotty.
But lets sign the other 2 tomorrow Oake Favaro is '98 born and Kalezic is a '99

Old
07-16-2017, 02:21 AM
Radzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bra Wavers View Post
I'll let NV respond to this in detail......he is a far better writer than I am and there are just too many issues here. To be fair though, the off-season is the season of speculation, no matter how far-fetched.
What are the issues?
Tammela played 2 games all season. Don't think Tampa wants to rush him especially with the knee.
Spencer is either going to sit just as often as he plays or more so why not send him back for one more year of high minutes or he will play in the ECHL
Korostolev is either going to get signed or sent back. I don't see him making the Ducks they may offer him a contract and send him back so that the contract starts 18-19 season.

There is still lots of time before training camp but I just see that being our OAs. IMO the toughest one to say will be back is Spencer.

Old
07-16-2017, 06:01 AM
Petes

Quote:
What are the issues?
Tammela played 2 games all season. Don't think Tampa wants to rush him especially with the knee.
Spencer is either going to sit just as often as he plays or more so why not send him back for one more year of high minutes or he will play in the ECHL
Korostolev is either going to get signed or sent back. I don't see him making the Ducks they may offer him a contract and send him back so that the contract starts 18-19 season.

There is still lots of time before training camp but I just see that being our OAs. IMO the toughest one to say will be back is Spencer.
No offense... but there's about zero chance Logan DeNoble isn't back with the Petes next season. I'd be shocked if he wasn't the captain even.... as for the other 3, fine there's a possibility Spencer/Tammela/Koro will be back but I don't think it's realistic to hope for all 3 of them... let alone one of them.

As for Lalonde, we have 8D (5 of which are as young as he is, or younger) signed for next season as it is.... he won't be a trade target for us.

Going to cut or trade Timleck in favour of Isaacson to play top 6..... why?!?

Love the optimism about the NCAA guys..... but when was the last time we got someone to decommit from school to come play for the Petes..... Nelson Armstrong (2013/2014)?

Last edited by Petes: 07-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old
07-16-2017, 06:36 AM
dirty12

Denoble & Black for sure, & Korostelev. That's my guess; and about as good as it gets for an OA group, IMO. If Tammela is in the league as an OA import, it's probably best if it is for another team.

dirty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Petes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty12 View Post
Denoble & Black for sure, & Korostelev. That's my guess; and about as good as it gets for an OA group, IMO. If Tammela is in the league as an OA import, it's probably best if it is for another team.
Agreed, dirty. Hard to complain if that's the group we end up with. Two proven 30+ goal scorers and a heart and soul defenseman....

Old
07-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes View Post
Agreed, dirty. Hard to complain if that's the group we end up with. Two proven 30+ goal scorers and a heart and soul defenseman....
Sign me up for that!
Now we just need to hope that the rest of the guys take a big step up. Here are my views on “potential” Petes in 2017-2018

I’ll start with the forwards…..

Back for More

Ang - has to be more than a PPG this year, avoid dumb penalties and use his line-mates better. He probably won’t get a letter on his jersey, but I’m hoping that being a year older and getting the WJ team invite will “mature” him and turn him into a better “team-guy”

Gallant - continue doing all of the good things we saw last season......dominating the face-off circle, play physical, be a force in front of their goalie, be the guy that other teams hate playing against (I like that guy…….when he’s on my team!), try to reach a PPG.

Paquette - should be even more comfortable with the Petes now so we should see a bump to a PPG as well as continued face-off domination and physical play. He and Gallant provide two big, strong centers.

Isaacson - will be his 2nd full season with the Petes, if he is faster, stronger and can play with more confidence this year, he will be a big asset. He needs to see some time on the 2nd PP or 2nd PK unit to increase his value.

Gogolev - drafted 8th overall, but he was stuck behind a logjam of wingers on the 4th line most of the time. He has skill. I'm hoping he's added some weight and strength. If the "flashes" of offense we saw can become more consistent, then Gogo could hit 20 goals and 40 points. More "quality" ice-time and a better line assignment will make a huge difference.

SDA - great rookie season as he benefitted from being a center, but make no mistake, he earned his ice time....the kid oozes skill and smarts. If he can grow (even just a little!) and can handle the extra attention from the opposition he is sure to get this year, then he should be able to avoid a sophomore slump. IMO Sem will have a shot at leading the league in assists before he is finished with the OHL.

Svoboda - had a strong start, playing with better line-mates.....6 points in his first 8 games, including 4 goals. Struggled offensively when he was moved to the 4th line, but he skates hard and hits hard.....I like him just fine. He knows what to expect now so we should see more confidence and better offensive numbers depending on where he slots in on the lines.

Timleck - disappointing season dropping from 0.59 PPG to 0.47 PPG, his decline forced the Petes to move Lorentz to the wing and use SDA at centre, he needs to stop pouting and work hard, earn time on the PP and hit a PPG

Denoble – a 13th rd OHL pick, 30+ goal scorer, who does all of the little things right. Selecting him as the next captain seems like a no-brainer; local kid who is achieving success because of hard work - sounds like a good leader to me.

Welcome

Denault – a big, hard-working winger with some offensive touch (0.75 PPG as a 16 yr old playing Jr A). He got his feet wet last year in 6 games with the Petes and was with the team during the playoff run. All of this plus the fact that he will be in lower pressure minutes (4th line) should add to his comfort level.

Robertson – a 5'6", 130lbs right winger who scored better than a PPG in MM and 3 points in 4 games in Jr A. His brother Jason (2 years older), was recently drafted by Dallas in 2nd round of NHL entry draft and stands 6'2", 190lbs. Here’s hoping that branches on their family tree are close….go genes! I hope he has a season similar to Der-Arguchintsev, 4th line minutes until he gets his feet wet, some time on the PP with extra time and space to use his skills, and top 9 after Christmas.

Maybe?

Korostelev - an OA year looks like it might be his best option if he hopes to sign a pro contract. "Slickita" was at a 1.21 PPG clip while wearing a Petes' jersey. He won't have Lorentz, but the bitterness he must feel at not moving on to pro and the fact that he may end up on a line with at least one of his fellow countrymen, should result in at least 1.5 PPG.

Emon/Conley/ What’shisname? – With a possible 12 returning forwards, it will be a battle for ice-time in the bottom six and beyond (black aces/Lindsay). Maybe Oke pulls a rabbit out of his hat to sign a previous draftee or someone unexpected shines at training camp.

Bye, bye…..we wish you well

Coyle/Rollo - good 3rd/4th line guys, great on the PK.......sadly none of the qualities you want in an OA forward. These are character kids though ......I hope they find a good place to continue playing hockey next year.

Tammela - I'm sure he is frustrated by his knee injury and I'm not sure where he slots in with TB/Syracuse, but I can't see him ending up with the Petes. This in fine with me; he didn't seem interested and I think the Petes would be worse off burning an import and OA on him.

Summary

Really great depth at forward. I feel like the top 3 lines could be a 1, 1a and 1b. IMO the team strength is depth and trading from that position of strength, I feel that a package (involving more bodies than picks) will be made to bring in high-end experience on the back end. Time will tell.

Old
07-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Petes

Quote:
Sign me up for that!
Now we just need to hope that the rest of the guys take a big step up. Here are my views on “potential” Petes in 2017-2018

I’ll start with the forwards…..

Back for More

Ang - has to be more than a PPG this year, avoid dumb penalties and use his line-mates better. He probably won’t get a letter on his jersey, but I’m hoping that being a year older and getting the WJ team invite will “mature” him and turn him into a better “team-guy”

Gallant - continue doing all of the good things we saw last season......dominating the face-off circle, play physical, be a force in front of their goalie, be the guy that other teams hate playing against (I like that guy…….when he’s on my team!), try to reach a PPG.

Paquette - should be even more comfortable with the Petes now so we should see a bump to a PPG as well as continued face-off domination and physical play. He and Gallant provide two big, strong centers.

Isaacson - will be his 2nd full season with the Petes, if he is faster, stronger and can play with more confidence this year, he will be a big asset. He needs to see some time on the 2nd PP or 2nd PK unit to increase his value.

Gogolev - drafted 8th overall, but he was stuck behind a logjam of wingers on the 4th line most of the time. He has skill. I'm hoping he's added some weight and strength. If the "flashes" of offense we saw can become more consistent, then Gogo could hit 20 goals and 40 points. More "quality" ice-time and a better line assignment will make a huge difference.

SDA - great rookie season as he benefitted from being a center, but make no mistake, he earned his ice time....the kid oozes skill and smarts. If he can grow (even just a little!) and can handle the extra attention from the opposition he is sure to get this year, then he should be able to avoid a sophomore slump. IMO Sem will have a shot at leading the league in assists before he is finished with the OHL.

Svoboda - had a strong start, playing with better line-mates.....6 points in his first 8 games, including 4 goals. Struggled offensively when he was moved to the 4th line, but he skates hard and hits hard.....I like him just fine. He knows what to expect now so we should see more confidence and better offensive numbers depending on where he slots in on the lines.

Timleck - disappointing season dropping from 0.59 PPG to 0.47 PPG, his decline forced the Petes to move Lorentz to the wing and use SDA at centre, he needs to stop pouting and work hard, earn time on the PP and hit a PPG

Denoble – a 13th rd OHL pick, 30+ goal scorer, who does all of the little things right. Selecting him as the next captain seems like a no-brainer; local kid who is achieving success because of hard work - sounds like a good leader to me.

Welcome

Denault – a big, hard-working winger with some offensive touch (0.75 PPG as a 16 yr old playing Jr A). He got his feet wet last year in 6 games with the Petes and was with the team during the playoff run. All of this plus the fact that he will be in lower pressure minutes (4th line) should add to his comfort level.

Robertson – a 5'6", 130lbs right winger who scored better than a PPG in MM and 3 points in 4 games in Jr A. His brother Jason (2 years older), was recently drafted by Dallas in 2nd round of NHL entry draft and stands 6'2", 190lbs. Here’s hoping that branches on their family tree are close….go genes! I hope he has a season similar to Der-Arguchintsev, 4th line minutes until he gets his feet wet, some time on the PP with extra time and space to use his skills, and top 9 after Christmas.

Maybe?

Korostelev - an OA year looks like it might be his best option if he hopes to sign a pro contract. "Slickita" was at a 1.21 PPG clip while wearing a Petes' jersey. He won't have Lorentz, but the bitterness he must feel at not moving on to pro and the fact that he may end up on a line with at least one of his fellow countrymen, should result in at least 1.5 PPG.

Emon/Conley/ What’shisname? – With a possible 12 returning forwards, it will be a battle for ice-time in the bottom six and beyond (black aces/Lindsay). Maybe Oke pulls a rabbit out of his hat to sign a previous draftee or someone unexpected shines at training camp.

Bye, bye…..we wish you well

Coyle/Rollo - good 3rd/4th line guys, great on the PK.......sadly none of the qualities you want in an OA forward. These are character kids though ......I hope they find a good place to continue playing hockey next year.

Tammela - I'm sure he is frustrated by his knee injury and I'm not sure where he slots in with TB/Syracuse, but I can't see him ending up with the Petes. This in fine with me; he didn't seem interested and I think the Petes would be worse off burning an import and OA on him.

Summary

Really great depth at forward. I feel like the top 3 lines could be a 1, 1a and 1b. IMO the team strength is depth and trading from that position of strength, I feel that a package (involving more bodies than picks) will be made to bring in high-end experience on the back end. Time will tell.
Great summary, couldn't agree more.

I think Parker-Jones, Panetta and Falls will be a part of that group fighting for the 12-14th forward range.... but like you said, time will tell.

Old
07-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Bra Wavers

Quote:

I think Parker-Jones, Panetta and Falls will be a part of that group fighting for the 12-14th forward range.... but like you said, time will tell.
Yes I had forgotten about Falls. As far as the other two go, given the depth at forward.......
IMO Panetta will need a year at Jr A and Parker-Jones was at Kitchener's spring camp as well so he's likely to go wherever his best chance to play is and sadly, I'm not sure that's with the Petes.

Old
07-16-2017, 09:48 PM
Radzy

Quote:

I think that Colton Kalezic will be in the that group fighting as the kid was almost a PPG player playing in the OJHL. The only down side to him I see is that he is a right hand shot.

We have a lot of R shots on the team and we lack L hand shots. As it stands right now you could see a couple players playing there off position. Which I guess isn't always a bad thing look at Patrick Sharpe he is a R hand shot that plays LW so I guess as it stands now time will tell.

Side note about Tammela looks like Flint is in need of scoring and maybe Oake can get a deal done with them if he is returned...which I believe he will be.

Old
07-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Petes

Quote:
I think that Colton Kalezic will be in the that group fighting as the kid was almost a PPG player playing in the OJHL. The only down side to him I see is that he is a right hand shot.

We have a lot of R shots on the team and we lack L hand shots. As it stands right now you could see a couple players playing there off position. Which I guess isn't always a bad thing look at Patrick Sharpe he is a R hand shot that plays LW so I guess as it stands now time will tell.

Side note about Tammela looks like Flint is in need of scoring and maybe Oake can get a deal done with them if he is returned...which I believe he will be.
Kalezic didn't attend last years camp, can't see why he would attend now. He has USHL options.

Also, can't see Oke passing up the opportunity to add Tammela to his roster... only way he moves him (I would guess) is if Korostelev returns as well. I think it's just as likely Tammela heads home to Finland for a year before coming to the OHL.... it's no secret he doesn't think he needs to play junior.

Old
07-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Radzy

Not sure if this means anything at all but Eliteprospects has Korostelev listed on this years Petes Team with Ang and Wells. I wouldn't look too much into this but they are the only 3 names listed and it wasn't there a couple of days ago.

Old
07-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Radzy

Just looked at the out come of the TB development camp
Spencer 7GP 12Shots 2G 1A 3PTS 16.7%Shooting Percent
Paquette 6GP 15shots 3G 4A 7PTS 20.0%Shooting Percent
Dow 6GP 9Shots 1G 3A 4PTS 11.1%Shooting Percent
No Tammela on the rookie development camp rosters that I could see

Old
07-17-2017, 03:24 AM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
Kalezic didn't attend last years camp, can't see why he would attend now. He has USHL options.

Also, can't see Oke passing up the opportunity to add Tammela to his roster... only way he moves him (I would guess) is if Korostelev returns as well. I think it's just as likely Tammela heads home to Finland for a year before coming to the OHL.... it's no secret he doesn't think he needs to play junior.
Tammela is an import AND an OA so either he plays in the OHL this year or never. I'm not sure how it works if he's signed an ELC with Tampa.....can he play pro in Finland? IMO He really needs to be in Syracuse but his knee has to be 100% before he can play anywhere.

Old
07-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Bra Wavers

Tammela was listed on the development camp roster, but I'm not sure how things went for him. I just found this online from Bolt prospects and they have good insightful analysis.

July 5th
RW Jonne Tammela, Peterborough (OHL)
Unfortunately, 2016-2017 was a lost season for the prospect we affectionately call "The Cobra." Tammela appeared in just two games for the Petes before being shut down with injuries. That's a shame, because we expected him to have a decent year after being a regular contributor against grown men in the Finnish Liiga for KalPa. An undersized speedster with above average skill and itching powder-like annoyability, Tammela does have a pro contract and will attempt to make Syracuse out of camp. If he doesn't make it, he may return to Peterborough where he could show what might have been to the Peterborough faithful. We felt he was a good third line NHL prospect with possibly enough skill to spot, for energy, on a scoring line. Whether losing a year to injury torpedoed that remains to be seen. He may benefit from returning to Peterborough, where he could get ample ice time – but burn a year of his ELC in the process.

IMO, if he's going to burn a year of his ELC, why not play pro in Finland and make some money?!

Old
07-17-2017, 07:56 AM
Petes

Quote:
Tammela was listed on the development camp roster, but I'm not sure how things went for him. I just found this online from Bolt prospects and they have good insightful analysis.

July 5th
RW Jonne Tammela, Peterborough (OHL)
Unfortunately, 2016-2017 was a lost season for the prospect we affectionately call "The Cobra." Tammela appeared in just two games for the Petes before being shut down with injuries. That's a shame, because we expected him to have a decent year after being a regular contributor against grown men in the Finnish Liiga for KalPa. An undersized speedster with above average skill and itching powder-like annoyability, Tammela does have a pro contract and will attempt to make Syracuse out of camp. If he doesn't make it, he may return to Peterborough where he could show what might have been to the Peterborough faithful. We felt he was a good third line NHL prospect with possibly enough skill to spot, for energy, on a scoring line. Whether losing a year to injury torpedoed that remains to be seen. He may benefit from returning to Peterborough, where he could get ample ice time – but burn a year of his ELC in the process.

IMO, if he's going to burn a year of his ELC, why not play pro in Finland and make some money?!
He's making money regardless since his ELC has started... Tampa Bay could technically loan him to a team in Finland for one season if they wanted.... who knows what'll happen.

Old
07-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
He's making money regardless since his ELC has started... Tampa Bay could technically loan him to a team in Finland for one season if they wanted.... who knows what'll happen.
Here are details on how the ELC works. In Tammela's case he would have received his signing bonus when he signed but the actual contract is a two way contract such that he only gets paid if he is playing in the NHL or AHL and obviously the amount he is paid in each case would be significantly different.

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?
Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
18-21 years of age: 3 years
22-23 years of age: 2 years
24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.
What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

Old
07-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Petes

Quote:
Here are details on how the ELC works. In Tammela's case he would have received his signing bonus when he signed but the actual contract is a two way contract such that he only gets paid if he is playing in the NHL or AHL and obviously the amount he is paid in each case would be significantly different.

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?
Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
18-21 years of age: 3 years
22-23 years of age: 2 years
24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.
What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.
So... Tammela's ELC wouldn't slide a year due to him now being 20 years old? Am I understanding that right?...

Old
07-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Bra Wavers

Next up are the Dmen.......

Back for More

Black - a steady defender who is a great team guy. He needs to be a double digits plus guy. He was an assistant captain in Sarnia the past two years. He will be good for the young defensemen. What I like about Black is that he is always the first to congratulate a teammate on a nice play. Would I rather have a high-end, top-pairing OA dman? Of course I would, but Black won't hurt the team and hopefully his hard work on and off the ice rubs off on some of the others. Should wear an 'A'

Timms - had a breakout offensive year and gained more confidence. Was a big loss when he went down with shoulder injury last season. If he can take another step forward, he will score better than a PPG and be a dominating offensive Dman. I'm hoping he can be a positive influence on the younger D. Should wear an 'A'

Chisholm - we should start to see the value in all the ice time he had last year as a rookie in the very near future. Only 5 pts last year but should be close to 0.5 PPG this season. With more confidence, strength and speed this year he could be in the discussion as a 1st or 2nd round pick in the NHL entry draft. With the youngish D corps, he will be counted on to play higher leverage minutes. Hopefully he can handle the 'defensive' part of this assignment.

Fraser - with the change in the fighting rules in the league I was concerned about his value to the team. I was surprised that he scored 19 points and that was drafted by the Red Wings. I hope he uses that to boost his confidence but not to the point that he is cocky and stops working hard to improve. Time will tell. He will be counted on to be part of a shutdown pairing, so he will need to be better defensively- quicker to read the play and get in the best defensive position.

McNamara - got into only 4 games with the Petes but showed tremendous poise when he was mistaken for 20 year old Brandon Prophet when he was interviewed on Cogeco at an out of town game. He will need to be fast enough and strong enough this season to be a responsible #6 Dman. He will likely see minutes while Fraser and Timms are away at pro camps, but I'm afraid that when they return this local boy will be caught in a numbers game that leaves him as # 7 or 8.

Welcome

Beraldo - while it's unknown whether Beraldo will be able to step in and be a #5 Dman, it looks like he has the potential to be a good one.....the sooner the better. Was one of the better Dmen in the GOJHL last season and scored almost a PPG. The biggest question here is how long will it take for him to adjust to the speed of the OHL? From Stoney Creek, near Hamilton. He might eventually be a trading piece that the Bulldogs would have interest in.

Supryka - I see a lot of Chisholm in him. Good skater with some offensive abilities as well. He is young.....doesn't turn 16 until just before Halloween......that's scary! He will be a good one but how long will it take him to adjust to the speed and size? Would he benefit from time in Junior A? IMO he will be fighting to be #6 and will probably be part of a rotation between 6 and 7.

Babintsev- the only Russian born player on the Petes who is actually an import! Gleb is a bit of a wildcard. He is a good size and scored almost a PPG for his U17 team. We will know a little better about what we have when we see how he fares at the Hlinka tournament in August. I'm hoping he adjust quickly to a new city, new country, new teammates and a more challenging league. SDA and Gogo will definitely help with Babintsev's adjustment. A lot of question marks here......he could slit in anywhere from a #4 to part of the 6/7 rotation.

Maybe?

Spencer - probably plays in Syracuse, but he would be a great guy to have on our back end if things turned out that way.

Crotty- realizes he actually has to go to school to play college hockey and decides to recommit......uh, probably not

Pennington/Macdonald - the problem with any of these guys is that the Petes already have 8 Dmen signed......so there is no room for all of these guys

Summary

The depth is good on D, but the lack of experience will be a real issue. If all of these players had at least one full season of OHL experience, there would be no worries about the back end......but we don't have that, so I'm slightly worried about the back end.

Last, but certainly not least, the goalies.

Wells - better focus and growing confidence made him one of the top goalies in the league. With a WJC team Canada spot on the line, I would expect more of the same or maybe even better. He will need to be the 'Captain on the defense'. He will need to communicate well with them, encourage the rookies when they struggle and be supportive to his teammates.

Jones - I'm excited to see him play this season. I'm sure he's bitter that he was cut from Canada's U18 team and will be looking to prove that they made a mistake. If Wells is at the WJC, Jones will definitely get his chance to play in games that won't be hand picked against softer teams. Last season we had one of the top goaltending tandems in the league......this year should be no different.

Old
07-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Petes

Old
07-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
Nice addition to the staff. It's good having a "younger" guy who played at many different levels of pro.....he's been around the block, so the players should respond to him.

From elite prospects.....,

A winger who can play center as well, Duco plays the game with a lot of energy, grit, and tenacity. Likes to agitate his opponents, but has decent hands, too.
Lacks ideal size. Can become overly rambunctious at times and take some stupid penalties.

Nice!

Old
07-20-2017, 08:38 AM
bubbles1

Quote:
Next up are the Dmen.......

Back for More

Black - a steady defender who is a great team guy. He needs to be a double digits plus guy. He was an assistant captain in Sarnia the past two years. He will be good for the young defensemen. What I like about Black is that he is always the first to congratulate a teammate on a nice play. Would I rather have a high-end, top-pairing OA dman? Of course I would, but Black won't hurt the team and hopefully his hard work on and off the ice rubs off on some of the others. Should wear an 'A'

Timms - had a breakout offensive year and gained more confidence. Was a big loss when he went down with shoulder injury last season. If he can take another step forward, he will score better than a PPG and be a dominating offensive Dman. I'm hoping he can be a positive influence on the younger D. Should wear an 'A'

Chisholm - we should start to see the value in all the ice time he had last year as a rookie in the very near future. Only 5 pts last year but should be close to 0.5 PPG this season. With more confidence, strength and speed this year he could be in the discussion as a 1st or 2nd round pick in the NHL entry draft. With the youngish D corps, he will be counted on to play higher leverage minutes. Hopefully he can handle the 'defensive' part of this assignment.

Fraser - with the change in the fighting rules in the league I was concerned about his value to the team. I was surprised that he scored 19 points and that was drafted by the Red Wings. I hope he uses that to boost his confidence but not to the point that he is cocky and stops working hard to improve. Time will tell. He will be counted on to be part of a shutdown pairing, so he will need to be better defensively- quicker to read the play and get in the best defensive position.

McNamara - got into only 4 games with the Petes but showed tremendous poise when he was mistaken for 20 year old Brandon Prophet when he was interviewed on Cogeco at an out of town game. He will need to be fast enough and strong enough this season to be a responsible #6 Dman. He will likely see minutes while Fraser and Timms are away at pro camps, but I'm afraid that when they return this local boy will be caught in a numbers game that leaves him as # 7 or 8.

Welcome

Beraldo - while it's unknown whether Beraldo will be able to step in and be a #5 Dman, it looks like he has the potential to be a good one.....the sooner the better. Was one of the better Dmen in the GOJHL last season and scored almost a PPG. The biggest question here is how long will it take for him to adjust to the speed of the OHL? From Stoney Creek, near Hamilton. He might eventually be a trading piece that the Bulldogs would have interest in.

Supryka - I see a lot of Chisholm in him. Good skater with some offensive abilities as well. He is young.....doesn't turn 16 until just before Halloween......that's scary! He will be a good one but how long will it take him to adjust to the speed and size? Would he benefit from time in Junior A? IMO he will be fighting to be #6 and will probably be part of a rotation between 6 and 7.

Babintsev- the only Russian born player on the Petes who is actually an import! Gleb is a bit of a wildcard. He is a good size and scored almost a PPG for his U17 team. We will know a little better about what we have when we see how he fares at the Hlinka tournament in August. I'm hoping he adjust quickly to a new city, new country, new teammates and a more challenging league. SDA and Gogo will definitely help with Babintsev's adjustment. A lot of question marks here......he could slit in anywhere from a #4 to part of the 6/7 rotation.

Maybe?

Spencer - probably plays in Syracuse, but he would be a great guy to have on our back end if things turned out that way.

Crotty- realizes he actually has to go to school to play college hockey and decides to recommit......uh, probably not

Pennington/Macdonald - the problem with any of these guys is that the Petes already have 8 Dmen signed......so there is no room for all of these guys

Summary

The depth is good on D, but the lack of experience will be a real issue. If all of these players had at least one full season of OHL experience, there would be no worries about the back end......but we don't have that, so I'm slightly worried about the back end.

Last, but certainly not least, the goalies.

Wells - better focus and growing confidence made him one of the top goalies in the league. With a WJC team Canada spot on the line, I would expect more of the same or maybe even better. He will need to be the 'Captain on the defense'. He will need to communicate well with them, encourage the rookies when they struggle and be supportive to his teammates.

Jones - I'm excited to see him play this season. I'm sure he's bitter that he was cut from Canada's U18 team and will be looking to prove that they made a mistake. If Wells is at the WJC, Jones will definitely get his chance to play in games that won't be hand picked against softer teams. Last season we had one of the top goaltending tandems in the league......this year should be no different.
excellent insight here on both d and fwd's....i see mcnamara possibly surpassing beraldo but a healthy competition there is great. I like your idea of having an all russian line if Korostelev returns which from what im hearing may be more likely then not at this point. Petes have got to concentrate on a system that limits shots on goal it has been their problem since current coach took over. Will be essential with a young d, with wells in net will help and i worry losing Foster and Duco certainly wont have great insight on a defensive structure sooooo maybe im expecting a miracle with the same coaching group. Having said that i like whats there for Petes next year and should be a ton of fun and will be in every game and should push for 1st in east again.

Being in Cambridge area lots of negative ranger talk around here with picks, direction etc it appears that peterborough has moved past this stage again and things look positive. What is the mood in town now?

bubbles1 is offline   Reply With Quote