HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July Roster Progress Report! - Rate the Changes!

View Poll Results: Well?
10 - The future and present are looking up! 2 2.99%
9 16 23.88%
8 32 47.76%
7 11 16.42%
6 2 2.99%
5 2 2.99%
4 1 1.49%
3 0 0%
2 1 1.49%
1 - A lot of mistakes were made... 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Hinterland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
@ Hinterland. We get it, you hate Raanta. You're literally the only one, so your constant posts ******** on him are getting old.
That's what you're saying. Not me. I don't hate Raanta at all. He's a decent backup. I just think that Johnson would have been a better option since the Coyotes may need more than a backup...more like a number 1b...and that's clearly not Raanta. I also don't get why you would pay such a crazy prize just to get a backup if you could get Johnson. Just wasting assets for nothing in my view. Goalie market is dead. There was no reason to do this.

Hinterland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:26 PM
RemoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
That's what you're saying. Not me. I don't hate Raanta at all. He's a decent backup. I just think that Johnson would have been a better option since the Coyotes may need more than a backup...more like a number 1b...and that's clearly not Raanta. I also don't get why you would pay such a crazy prize just to get a backup if you could get Johnson. Just wasting assets for nothing in my view. Goalie market is dead. There was no reason to do this.
How can you "not get" this? You may not agree but it's clear why they did this. They think he's a #1 and were willing to pay the price for a potential #1. Now they may be wrong and you may be right but they've been more than clear on why they traded for him. I'm just glad we don't have to watch Smith act like he's been shot ever time the opposing team gets close to him.

RemoAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Hinterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
How can you "not get" this? You may not agree but it's clear why they did this. They think he's a #1 and were willing to pay the price for a potential #1. Now they may be wrong and you may be right but they've been more than clear on why they traded for him. I'm just glad we don't have to watch Smith act like he's been shot ever time the opposing team gets close to him.
Not even somebody who's crazy enough to throw 10 millions at McGinn would be that dumb. Only a complete lunatic would be stupid enough to believe that a backup who didn't even start a full 82 games in total (only 12 more than Domingue) despite being already 28yo would all of a sudden turn into a starter. Especially not knowing Raanta. Would we at least talk about a gifted, bigger goalie, well then maybe...certainly not here.

There were rumours about the Rags actively shopping Raanta for quite a while. Nobody wanted him...I'm pretty sure he was a condition to get Stepan.

Old
07-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
They were actively shopping the guy for quite a while but nobody was willing to pay since there's no goalie market...so yes...that's likely what happened...
Otherwise Chayka could have just signed Johnson.
This narrative is getting old. I don't normally respond to **** like this, but this getting annoying. You keep claiming that he is small but he's relatively close in size to goalies like Lundqvist, Quick, and Greiss. You keep claiming that he is old, but as has already been pointed out to you, he's 28. Which is actually pretty normal for a goalie simmering behind a true number 1 looking for a chance. And the main thing is you keep claiming he has average mobility, which is just flat out false and shows your lack of knowledge about the player in question. We're talking about one of the few goalies who can do the FULL splits going post to post to make a save. His lateral movement is just fine. He's a perfect example of a goalie putting in his time as a backup and showing he has what it takes to be givin the chance as a starter. Just like Cam Talbot and Martin Jones. Not all of them succeed in making the jump to being a number 1, so I get being a little sceptical about handing the reins to a goalie who has never been more than a backup in the league, but making up nonsense to try and prove a point is just stupid.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:43 PM
ColdSteel2

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2371361

ColdSteel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:52 PM
RemoAZ

Quote:
Not even somebody who's crazy enough to throw 10 millions at McGinn would be that dumb. Only a complete lunatic would be stupid enough to believe that a backup who didn't even start a full 82 games in total (only 12 more than Domingue) despite being already 28yo would all of a sudden turn into a starter. Especially not knowing Raanta. Would we at least talk about a gifted, bigger goalie, well then maybe...certainly not here.

There were rumours about the Rags actively shopping Raanta for quite a while. Nobody wanted him...I'm pretty sure he was a condition to get Stepan.
Quote:
"We made the acquisition of Antti expecting him to be our No. 1," Coyotes General Manager John Chayka said. "…We think he needs some opportunity and some support ... In our analysis, he was the No. 1 guy we were going after (this off-season), and when we got a chance to get him we wanted to make sure we got him."
So you think he's lying here? That would be career suicide to say you think a guy you consider a backup is a #1. Nobody would do that.

Old
07-16-2017, 08:53 PM
WrinkledPossum
Play Dead

Quote:

Cam Talbot was the backup in NY for 2 years beforebeing traded to Edmonton at age 28. Since then he has become a quality starter. Those 2 years were Talbot's only 2 in the NHL. Raanta spent 2 years in Chicago before his 2 in NY.

Wrong, many teams were interested in Raanta, it was rumored that Calgary, Philly, Winnipeg were all interested in him. You're acting like he had no value which is false.

WrinkledPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Hinterland

Quote:
So you think he's lying here? That would be career suicide to say you think a guy you consider a backup is a #1. Nobody would do that.
He's praying for that...at best. He has to somehow defend the move since he already had Johnson. What was he supposed to say? "They forced me to take Raanta in order to get Stepan?" Do you think that would have sounded any better?
Do you not think it's also career suicide to throw 10 millions outta the window at an AHL player named Jamie McGinn who he advertised as a great scorer? Chayka doesn't know what he's doing. He's naive. He got pulled over several times already. Name me one great signing or one great trade he made. He signed Schenn, drafted Chychrun, traded for Crouse and collected a few picks here and then. That's about it so far.

Old
07-16-2017, 09:22 PM
WrinkledPossum
Play Dead

Quote:
He's praying for that...at best. He has to somehow defend the move since he already had Johnson. What was he supposed to say? "They forced me to take Raanta in order to get Stepan?" Do you think that would have sounded any better?
Do you not think it's also career suicide to throw 10 millions outta the window at an AHL player named Jamie McGinn who he advertised as a great scorer? Chayka doesn't know what he's doing. He's naive. He got pulled over several times already. Name me one great signing or one great trade he made. He signed Schenn, drafted Chychrun, traded for Crouse and collected a few picks here and then. That's about it so far.
Quote:
According to Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton, his Arizona counterpart insisted that Raanta be included in the deal; and Chayka on Friday said unequivocally the 28-year-old Finn was the club's new starting goalie, even though he has been a backup his entire NHL career.
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/nhl/n...41vzpsxzpoy0m8

Give it a rest, it was Chayka who insisted on getting Raanta as part of the deal. And you named a few good moves that Chayka made but the only bad move you named was the McGinn deal.

WrinkledPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 10:55 PM
LuckyNumber11

Trying to crucify a GM after his second year from taking the reigns of the worst team in the NHL for one bad signing and taking a chance on a good backup goalie being a good starter

LuckyNumber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 11:26 PM
cobra427

Quote:
McGinn was a UFA, easy to make a mistake there. Its not a huge mistake money wise like Ribs or the first few years of Smith's contract. McGinn could come back this year and have a better year too, and he is not an AHL player, he will be on the roster opening day if he is not traded.

Bryz and Smith wound up being solid starters after they came to AZ, but not before then. No guarantees on Raanta but that is the guy they wanted. it's 50/50 he works out as a starter.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 11:36 PM
LuckyNumber11

And lets not act like we're the only ones who think Raanta could be a solid starter

LuckyNumber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 11:40 PM
RABBIT
Do it for Makaveli

Raanta was highly coveted. Who cares what one person's opinion is, most people in the hockey world see this as a good move. Truth is none of us know how it will work out, but we certainly didn't go dumpster diving.

There are scouts that observe talent on a regular basis, and they agree Raanta is worth a shot at number 1.

United States Air Force, T.A.C.P. Special Forces
"Death Before Dishonor"
RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Hinterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber11 View Post
And lets not act like we're the only ones who think Raanta could be a solid starter
If he's that popular, then why was nobody else willng to pay? Then why were the Rags shopping the guy for weeks, trying to sell him to lots of teams?
Don't fool yourself. Even if there was interest and not just the Rags shoppping... there is no goalie market. The Stars just landed Ben Bishop for a 4th...

Old
07-17-2017, 06:23 AM
JeiJeieL

Quote:
If he's that popular, then why was nobody else willng to pay? Then why were the Rags shopping the guy for weeks, trying to sell him to lots of teams?
Don't fool yourself. Even if there was interest and not just the Rags shoppping... there is no goalie market. The Stars just landed Ben Bishop for a 4th...
Just curious, how do you know Rangers tried to shop Raanta? Is there any source?

It makes no sense that Rangers wanted to get rid of a guy who was outplaying Lundqvist last season and makes only 1 million. You think Pavelec is better option for them? Wake up.

JeiJeieL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:27 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Don't fool yourself. Even if there was interest and not just the Rags shopping... there is no goalie market. The Stars just landed Ben Bishop for a 4th...
the Stars paid a 4th for the negotiation rights, they acquired a 30 yo UFA and offered a 6 year term. That's what they paid. LA took what ever they could get for someone who they would lose to free agency.

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Jakey boy, Doan didn't provide anything offensively last year, he won't be missed in that regard. He's a great leader, but surely didn't lead by example last year and was apart of the country club problem along with smith and tip. Turning the page is always a good thing and to me that's what we did.

Keller was excellent in the world tournament and proved he can play at the NHL level with the highest skill. Strome is most certainly a question mark, still need to see what we have there. Stepan is the best producing center that we've had in the last 10 years, that's an upgrade and Raanta is young and hungry.

Murphy was replaceable (for some reason I thought he was signed to a mid 3m contract for 6 years) but at best he's a #2 guy. Hjarmlarsson who's older has proven to be an effective talent at D on a good blackhawks team.

I'd have to imagine there's a veteran wing brought in on either trade or on try out to see where the kids are at.

I don't get it. People want change and progression to get out of the mediocrity that have been the coyotes the last 5 years but when it happens they're not happy.

This has been the biggest off season likely in the franchise history. Replacing the dinosaur behind the bench and cutting bait with two veterans that had been ok with a losing atmosphere is a positive thing. What we brought in all have been winners. The only real loss is DeAngelo and the 7th, however that 7th wasn't going to produce for another 3 years.

This is all good. Stay the course trust in Chyka and tochett and let's see what happens. It certainly can't be worse than before.
I was ok with Doan leaving or staying, but his leadership will be missed. I don't really car how Keller performed at the Worlds's or any other tournament as it is not the NHL. Look at Murphy who plays good at these tournaments but s---- the bed at the NHL level. I think Keller should make the team but he has not proven anything at this time. I really don't mind the trades, but the trades and losing Vrbata and Doan have still left holes in our line up. We lost two RW's and two RD, and only one RD coming back, and we were already weak at RD before the trade. IF Duke does not have a rebound year, we are going to be in more trouble on the right side. I think it might be wise to wait until training camp to see if we trade or sign anyone else to complete our line up.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBIT View Post
Raanta was highly coveted. Who cares what one person's opinion is, most people in the hockey world see this as a good move. Truth is none of us know how it will work out, but we certainly didn't go dumpster diving.

There are scouts that observe talent on a regular basis, and they agree Raanta is worth a shot at number 1.
I agree. Goalie is the most important position for a hockey team. IF Raanta plays great we should see a better team, if he doesn't we will be picking top 5 and looking for a starter next year.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
RemoAZ

NHL Tonight interview with Barroway
https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/nh...086/c-52427903

Old
07-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Quote:
So refreshing.

Mosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:31 PM
RemoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
So refreshing.
Except him lying about Raanta

Old
07-18-2017, 11:22 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Maybe some people weren't willing to pay because the NYR price that was set for Raanta was high.

Alls I know is that we gave up the #7 OA in a historically weaker draft and Anthony Deangelo, who was a #19 OA pick in 2014 and we got from TB in return for a 2nd round pick last year. If the idea is that Stepan was worth the #7 OA pick, then Raanta would be worth somewhere in the #20-40 pick range. Maybe some teams did not want to pay that and maybe some teams did not even inquire about Raanta.

I think you are confusing the concept of "wanting" vs the concept of "being able to afford" - Raanta may have been the most wanted goalie on the trade market, but maybe half of those teams also could afford the price being asked or could cobble together the right pieces for New York to be interested. In a vacuum, everyone would have their cards on the table for what they were offering and it would all be easy to see just how many teams wanted Raanta. But that doesn't exist for good reason.

Ultimately, Chayka and his group did their evaluations and when Raanta's name kept coming up at the top of the list, you explore ways to make it happen. It happened and it should say a lot more that after getting Chad Johnson back in the fold, Chayka still went out and got Raanta.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Englishcoyote

the team/organisation is in a better position now than it was at the end of the season, got in a goal tender for the future and a number 1 centre who both have to prove they deserve them slots on the team, got rid of smith contract and once martinook and duclair re sign at about $1.5-$1.75 million per year each on 1/2 year deals we will be above the cap floor and then just maybe 1 or 2 trades away from a playoff push team....

next year we have to sign up domi (2.75-3.5 per year) tobias and antti (£2.5-£3.5 per year) as the main core players so we still look in a good position.

Englishcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 12:47 PM
BlazingBlueAnt

Quote:
haha, man Barroway is a goofy looking dude

BlazingBlueAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 12:48 PM
RABBIT
Do it for Makaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingBlueAnt View Post
haha, man Barroway is a goofy looking dude
I think he just looks happy. Like genuinely happy. I really, really like this guy.

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote