HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Lightning sign D Dan Girardi (2 years, $3M AAV)

Old
07-07-2017, 11:16 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
wow, just dunked on all you guys.

reeeeallly embarrassing for you guys right now.

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:00 AM
Iceman

He is worse than Carle, he really is.

There is no way he turns into a reliable ANYTHING. He just can't play hockey in today's NHL. It's a bigger chance that Sustr turns into a top 4 dman in Nashville than Girardi being useful to us. He will be eaten alive in the playoffs, if we even make it there. He can't skate, he can't get the puck out of the zone. That is basic stuff in today's NHL.

Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 12:00 PM
VinikToWinIt
Big Bad Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGuyovich View Post

VinikToWinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Can't skate, can't block shots, can't produce, can't play in the NHL. It amazes me the rosters that SY can put together at times on offense, yet year after year the defensive choices are just baffling. Coburn was a decent pickup that was about two years too late, Garrison would have been better a year prior, Stralman was a homerun, handling of prospects... man, I don't know.

Old
07-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Can't skate, can't block shots, can't produce, can't play in the NHL. It amazes me the rosters that SY can put together at times on offense, yet year after year the defensive choices are just baffling. Coburn was a decent pickup that was about two years too late, Garrison would have been better a year prior, Stralman was a homerun, handling of prospects... man, I don't know.
i dont buy it myself but worse case scenario gets carle treatment and we had the money so is a whatever at this point not buying into how bad he might be right now cause its offensive stats and a system he didnt fit into at all in ny.

can he play up to gudas level before injury I say yes with more blocks a little less hits.

I think hes gonna be fine myself. He is good at the short quick pass to get to a forward to get out of zone. Our guys have the speed and usually handle that well some better then others.

His weakness is passing someone deeper etc.. and he mainly when does that just winds up icing it

which is something we shouldnt be asking him to do. Use his few strengths dont over play him and should be fine.

If people think he plays with kucherov and that kucherov will stop scoring because of it your outta your damned minds

kucherov scores just fine with sustr who just wow I got nothing good to say on sustr lmfao

Unfinished Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
you dont necessarily have to be in the top-4 to get "top-4 time".

if he's playing PP and/or PK, and if cooper plays the second pairing with a shorter leash, he could still remain in the ~18:00/night category.
he aint getting power play time WTH :help :: help:

Old
07-10-2017, 04:48 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished Business View Post
If Sergachev is as good as a puck mover as some have touted him to be and he's made the team, I wouldn't mind him on the second PP.

CupsOverCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I said the same thing about Coburn last year but here we are...

Old
07-10-2017, 05:10 PM
StoneColdStevYzerman
Yzerman 3:16

vCash: 400
Quote:
i dont buy it myself but worse case scenario gets carle treatment and we had the money so is a whatever at this point not buying into how bad he might be right now cause its offensive stats and a system he didnt fit into at all in ny.

can he play up to gudas level before injury I say yes with more blocks a little less hits.

I think hes gonna be fine myself. He is good at the short quick pass to get to a forward to get out of zone. Our guys have the speed and usually handle that well some better then others.

His weakness is passing someone deeper etc.. and he mainly when does that just winds up icing it

which is something we shouldnt be asking him to do. Use his few strengths dont over play him and should be fine.

If people think he plays with kucherov and that kucherov will stop scoring because of it your outta your damned minds

kucherov scores just fine with sustr who just wow I got nothing good to say on sustr lmfao
Which forward, though?

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/3/...the-wrong-team

StoneColdStevYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdStevYzerman View Post
i can pull video showing two times on boards passing to boards of every player in nhl probably jeez wateva

that is rangers system pass around boards is not what we do or not what everyone does i see coburn do this and sustr have nothing nice to say so ya wateva

Old
07-16-2017, 07:23 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I've read a lot of criticism(s) of Girardi over the past few years but "can't block shots" might be the dumbest one I've ever read.

166 BS last year, 9th in the league, "can't block shots". Routinely among the league leaders every year.

Good grief. Let the guy play a game or two for you guys before this "AHL" stuff overtakes your board like it did ours. 3rd pair, PK, leadership in the room. The money might be a little high, but this isn't a net loss for TB if he's used the right way.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I've read a lot of criticism(s) of Girardi over the past few years but "can't block shots" might be the dumbest one I've ever read.

166 BS last year, 9th in the league, "can't block shots". Routinely among the league leaders every year.

Good grief. Let the guy play a game or two for you guys before this "AHL" stuff overtakes your board like it did ours. 3rd pair, PK, leadership in the room. The money might be a little high, but this isn't a net loss for TB if he's used the right way.
I'm holding out hope. I do think he will be very good on the PK where his lack of speed is less of an issue and he can block shots. That let's a guy like Stralman rest. The problem a lot fear here is we will see Girardi misused with a lot of offensive zone draws, or worse yet, he gets the offensive zone starts because he becomes a liability defensively.

I read somewhere that his head wasn't in it in NY. Maybe he rebounds with a fresh start.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
I'm holding out hope. I do think he will be very good on the PK where his lack of speed is less of an issue and he can block shots. That let's a guy like Stralman rest. The problem a lot fear here is we will see Girardi misused with a lot of offensive zone draws, or worse yet, he gets the offensive zone starts because he becomes a liability defensively.

I read somewhere that his head wasn't in it in NY. Maybe he rebounds with a fresh start.
The Rangers were a bottom 5 CF% (Corsi For %) team in the entire NHL last season. Only one of the NYR defenders (that played over 200 minutes TOI) had a positive CF last year. The only one that did was Clendening and he had a 48% OZFO percentage.
They are not a puck possession team. Not sure why measure/grade Girardi on his possession metrics when they didn't play a possession game. They were a top 5 scoring team in the NHL and a bottom 5 in possession metrics. Girardi also took 28% of his draws in the offensive zone which is one of the lowest on the NYR squad, didn't help that the Rangers were one of the worst FO% teams in the NHL last year as well.

What are the Lightning looking at? Controlled D-Zone Exits For and Controlled D-Zone Exits Against. Guess who was pretty good at that ... even with a bum ankle. Yep Girardi. Girardi was definitely the whipping boy for NYR fans and media...this guy brings the workman's lunch and pail and hardhat to work every day. He is a decent addition to the team and there is data that supports a healthy level of hope that Girardi could play better in our system than he did last year with the Rags.

Girardi is a defensive defenseman...you can play him on a third pairing sheltered role with Koekkoek for example. You can let Koekkoek display a bit more of his two way game while allowing Girardi to be the safety valve. That allows, for example, Coburn to move up to the second pairing with a guy like Stralman. Allowing Stralman to take more risks and be a bit more offensive minded which he can definitely do.

I'm reserving my judgement for the start of the season...but there is enough there for me to like this signing at that cap and term level.

Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Todd1a
Kucherov or prospect

So much hate on girardi! Knock it off yzerman signed him to be a third pairing defenseman get over it! You guys act like he is going to play stralmans or hedmans roles👍 He is not! Watch them put girardi with sergachev or koekkoek and it will work out perfectly. He will stay back and defend and koekkoek and sergachev will push the puck up to our forwards 👍

Todd1a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:14 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Girardi said they're expecting him to play top-4 though. I guess we'll see how it shakes down during and after camp. Speculating now doesn't get us anywhere.

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:25 AM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
The Rangers were a bottom 5 CF% (Corsi For %) team in the entire NHL last season. Only one of the NYR defenders (that played over 200 minutes TOI) had a positive CF last year. The only one that did was Clendening and he had a 48% OZFO percentage.
They are not a puck possession team. Not sure why measure/grade Girardi on his possession metrics when they didn't play a possession game. They were a top 5 scoring team in the NHL and a bottom 5 in possession metrics. Girardi also took 28% of his draws in the offensive zone which is one of the lowest on the NYR squad, didn't help that the Rangers were one of the worst FO% teams in the NHL last year as well.

What are the Lightning looking at? Controlled D-Zone Exits For and Controlled D-Zone Exits Against. Guess who was pretty good at that ... even with a bum ankle. Yep Girardi. Girardi was definitely the whipping boy for NYR fans and media...this guy brings the workman's lunch and pail and hardhat to work every day. He is a decent addition to the team and there is data that supports a healthy level of hope that Girardi could play better in our system than he did last year with the Rags.

Girardi is a defensive defenseman...you can play him on a third pairing sheltered role with Koekkoek for example. You can let Koekkoek display a bit more of his two way game while allowing Girardi to be the safety valve. That allows, for example, Coburn to move up to the second pairing with a guy like Stralman. Allowing Stralman to take more risks and be a bit more offensive minded which he can definitely do.

I'm reserving my judgement for the start of the season...but there is enough there for me to like this signing at that cap and term level.
Good points. His lack of mobility and first pass are still concerns for me because unlike the Rangers, we are a puck possession team. Still, I see a narrow role for him outside of shot generation.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post

Okay, I should clarify - doesn't block enough shots based on heatmapping and how many he gives up overall.

I mean, at least *some* of the people on your board had the sense to identify a weakness and see that he didn't fit, at a minimum, the system that AV was running. He isn't good.

Literally the hill people have died on with him had been in regards to blocking shots and shot suppression, and he doesn't suppress shots at all. He may block some, yet he still manages to allow a significant amount through and cannot maintain possession or drive any semblance of a transition so yeah, feel free to take him back if he isn't so bad.

Old
07-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Ori

Yeah we`ve a fast pace system and driving possession is important in New York, good luck in Tampa, G. I thought he was injured when he was bought out earlier, but I guess he doesn`t fit within the AV system.

Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:42 AM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Old
07-17-2017, 12:10 PM
mrhockey193195

Dan hasn't been the same player the past few seasons, but he's certainly an asset if used properly. Also, one of the nicest and most well-liked athletes I've seen come through NY. I really hope he bounces back with you guys. If the Rangers don't win, I'm definitely pulling for Tampa with Cally and Girardi.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Nick of Time
Cute and Fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Dan hasn't been the same player the past few seasons, but he's certainly an asset if used properly. Also, one of the nicest and most well-liked athletes I've seen come through NY. I really hope he bounces back with you guys. If the Rangers don't win, I'm definitely pulling for Tampa with Cally and Girardi.
Yeah, Tampa has become my 2nd team, been following them since the Cally trade, and them adding Stralman and Boyle was pretty cool. Hate that Boyle was traded, but now with G down there, should be fun, and hoping he can find his game again.

07-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Levitate

Quote:

No he's not. If he was his analytics wouldn't be so terrible. He's bad at moving the puck at any time unless he has un-pressured time to look up and make a play. Under pressure he immediately just throws the puck up the boards.

Quote:
that is rangers system pass around boards
No it's not. The Rangers successful breakouts are when they can move the puck to the forwards in open ice off the boards. Girardi is terrible at this, he mostly just moves the puck along the boards.

But yes he can block shots but it might end up injuring him again with another broken foot or knee cap or whatever that will limit his mobility even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
I'd like to see this quote if you can find it because if true that's just incredible and I'm even more glad he's gone. He was a long time veteran, he built his life and family in NYC, it's not like he was some guy who came in and just didn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
The issue is that even compared to his teammates or to pretty much anyone else in the league, Girardi was bad. He demonstrably pulled down McDonagh's numbers. Yes the Rangers weren't a puck possession team and it's fair to bring that up but both by the eye test and the numbers test, Girardi showed up as poor with the puck.

Playing a different system could definitely help him though. That definitely is a failing where he was expected to play in a more skating style defensive system rather than a zone system that would limit his issues with mobility.

Ultimately I'm not trying to really dump on Girardi or Tampa but I think some people are putting a rosy tint on his past performances. If I'm a Tampa fan I'm saying "hopefully we use him in a different way than the Rangers did and a different system works better for him", but I'm not trying to re-cast his past several years in a positive light.

All that said, if he has a nice year with Tampa then good for him. He's also a likeable guy, a good veteran, reportedly good in the locker room, he'll give up his body for the team and I don't wish ill upon him. If buying him out lets him rejuvenate his career and the Rangers improve their blueline, then great it's a win for everyone. I think the Rangers continued to lean on him too heavily in situations that weren't a good match for his abilities but the right spot in the lineup could be fine with him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:48 PM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No he's not. If he was his analytics wouldn't be so terrible. He's bad at moving the puck at any time unless he has un-pressured time to look up and make a play. Under pressure he immediately just throws the puck up the boards.

Quoted for truth, he's utterly vulnerable against an aggressive forecheck.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
But yes he can block shots but it might end up injuring him again with another broken foot or knee cap or whatever that will limit his mobility even more.
Great point for anyone using the "he blocks shots" argument, great he'll injury himself again, such a positive.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote