HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc.(john wall signs long deal

Old
07-06-2017, 08:17 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
A few things here. One, it's pointless to draw parallels to other athletes in the city and compare salaries across sports. Salaries across different sports vary wildly. Derek Carr was just made the first person in NFL history to cross the $25mm/year mark. At $20mm/year, there are 12 NFL players making that salary, 37 baseball players, and 39 NBA players (and of course 0 players in the NHL making that type of money).

Second, with regards to Otto specifically, what are they supposed to do? They have zero leverage when it comes to negotiating salary for OP. They either max him or he's gone. If he leaves, they're undoubtedly a worse team next year. Probably a bubble playoff team, at best, while the Celtics just landed Hayward and the Cavs still have LBJ. Maybe you don't pay Porter and convince Wall that this year might be a setback but you have your eyes set on next summer to really make a move. That's very risky, though, as nothing is guaranteed to come to fruition and then JW is heading into the final year of his deal on a team whose trajectory is pointed firmly in the wrong direction. Do you then entertain trading Wall?

This is what happens when you give big money deals to bad free agents (Mahinmi) and trade away prized assets for marginal players. They're now stuck trying to appease the second best player in the East by improving a team without a lot flexibility to do so. Ernie has made his bed and we'll see if he can weasel his way out of this.

The really ****** thing is that the East looks wide open for the foreseeable future. LBJ is almost as good as gone next summer and then you have the Celtics and... who? The Bucks? The Hawks just blew it up. The Sixers might be able to make the jump but they're a total unknown. One big move launches the Wizards into perennial contender status (to reach the Finals, that is) for the next few seasons.
I get that comparing money made by players of different sports is not a good comparison, but considering Porter may not even be the 3rd best player on his team it is still jaw dropping to compare what Porter would make in regards to OV, Strasburg, Williams, etc...

And the quote I posted earlier makes it clear if the Wiz match the Nets offer for Porter that Wall will not be appeased and Wall will then start discussing with his agent on the best way to force his exit from DC.

This would be a ****ed up situation if the Wiz/Bullets weren't involved. But this is normal for this organization. A solid group is brought together only to see something come up to tear it all down. It happened with the Webber and Arenas era's now having to pay a marginal player in Porter huge money could drive the best player on the team out of town. What a mess.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Corby78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I get that comparing money made by players of different sports is not a good comparison, but considering Porter may not even be the 3rd best player on his team it is still jaw dropping to compare what Porter would make in regards to OV, Strasburg, Williams, etc...

And the quote I posted earlier makes it clear if the Wiz match the Nets offer for Porter that Wall will not be appeased and Wall will then start discussing with his agent on the best way to force his exit from DC.

This would be a ****ed up situation if the Wiz/Bullets weren't involved. But this is normal for this organization. A solid group is brought together only to see something come up to tear it all down. It happened with the Webber and Arenas era's now having to pay a marginal player in Porter huge money could drive the best player on the team out of town. What a mess.
This is what the NBA wants and has created. Super teams, off season drama, money being thrown around like crazy, with little care what the actual game looks like. It's genius and it's working, but it's also depressing.

Corby78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:59 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:

I think Wall is saying he needs to see a plan to get better. Porter is still young and improving. His game grew by leaps and bounds last year and it's fair to think he'll continue to improve. Also, once he's signed, he's a tradable asset. Wall sees the NBA moving to a superteam league of have's and have not's and wants to make sure he doesn't toil away in mediocrity.

Also, my opinion: Porter isn't the issue. The issue is Gortat and Mahinmi. Between those two they're making $28mm/year and they can't even be on the floor together at the same time. You want to make the Wiz a contender? Replace them w/ Boogie Cousins. He's the star they're most likely able to acquire as he's a FA after this year and he and Wall have publicly stated they want to play together. If I'm Ernie, I am paying Porter his money and then getting on the phone with New Orleans to ask their price for Cousins. Aside from the Wiz, NoLa will be the team I watch the most this year. They have no shot to compete in the West (outside of maybe competing for the 7/8 seed only to be swept in the first round) and if Cousins lets them know he's likely to walk after the year maybe he'll become available.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 07:56 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Welp, that Nats game was fun last night. At least I had the diamond club to ease the pains of a 2 hour rain delay, with no rain. It was salt in the wound watching the philly game on the jumbotron, yes being played despite rain.

The Nats need a bullpen, so they can stop screwing us fans with their feeble tactics to hide the fact.

I love when they pull out the "safety of the players" card. Like playing baseball in a 30 minute rain shower is dangerous. The preferential treatment starters get is a bit much - they won't start a game because a starter doesn't like to warm up twice. Cry me a ****ing river. Time to fire off an email for them to insert token response.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Fire Duquette. Trade everyone!

The Sky is falling!

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Welp, that Nats game was fun last night. At least I had the diamond club to ease the pains of a 2 hour rain delay, with no rain. It was salt in the wound watching the philly game on the jumbotron, yes being played despite rain.

The Nats need a bullpen, so they can stop screwing us fans with their feeble tactics to hide the fact.

I love when they pull out the "safety of the players" card. Like playing baseball in a 30 minute rain shower is dangerous. The preferential treatment starters get is a bit much - they won't start a game because a starter doesn't like to warm up twice. Cry me a ****ing river. Time to fire off an email for them to insert token response.
I was near the ballpark around 6 pm and the sun had been out for a while and it did not look like rain at all. I strongly considered going to the game and never would have thought of there being a delay. When I noticed there was a delay I was flabbergasted and when I checked after 10 pm and it was the 2nd inning I was glad my ballgame plans had been vetoed in favor of other plans.

It's especially bad, of course, because with that start time anyone with kids and anyone who planned to go home by Metro or anyone who has to work the next morning is 100% screwed. Not that those who went home instead missed a huge amount of fun..

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Isnt that the 2nd game that they've had "rain delays" without rain? The Orioles had one versus them as well that created the Rizzo quote telling Buck to "get over it"?

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:42 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Isnt that the 2nd game that they've had "rain delays" without rain? The Orioles had one versus them as well that created the Rizzo quote telling Buck to "get over it"?
Yep - May 11. The Braves announcers discuss it, and they said it was a travesty - abuse of gamesmanship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2AkW28xWQU

Threat of Rain Delay

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2017, 11:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Porter matched.....well played team with no choice.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 11:45 AM
hockeykicker

Nationals beat Orioles in court today over the television rights money. Nats to recieve more then 300 million dollars

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Nationals beat Orioles in court today over the television rights money. Nats to recieve more then 300 million dollars
Good, because Lerner doesn't want to spend a penny of money from his other investments/businesses on the Nats, so perhaps this will take one of Rizzo's excuses away.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Slateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Good, because Lerner doesn't want to spend a penny of money from his other investments/businesses on the Nats, so perhaps this will take one of Rizzo's excuses away.
lol, Learners are just gonna earmark that for Scherzer's deferred money.

Slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Not quite. The court ruled (and there could still be further appeals) that the RSDC gets to arbitrate the dispute. It did not back up the previous RSDC rulings.

For those not familiar with this long running dispute, the RSDC is made up from teams that receive revenue sharing, and thus would receive money if revenue is increased by the Nationals receiving additional MASN money. They also share lawyers with the Nationals. It's not exactly an impartial body.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e4677317dad9

Some key takeaways:
Quote:
The Washington Nationals won rare a victory in the ongoing legal battle over their share of the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network’s television revenue, as a New York Appellate Court ruled that their share of the rights fees must be determined by the committee that was supposed to determine them in the first place — Major League Baseball’s Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee (known affectionately to followers of this case as the RSDC).

The decision does not award the Nationals any money, nor end the heated and convoluted legal saga in which they and the Orioles have been deadlocked for years now. They will not get the $298 million the RSDC originally awarded them for their 2012-2016 rights in 2014. That decision was vacated in 2015, and the appeals court upheld that decision unanimously this week. So the money originally awarded the Nationals is no longer relevant. They will not get the money originally awarded them.

[...]

Those rights fees might not, however, be determined in the forum the parties chose, after all. The court’s decision to send the arbitration back to the RSDC was not unanimous, at 3-2. Those two votes of dissent give MASN the right to appeal the decision to the New York Court of Appeals — the highest appellate court.

[...]

Given the history between these two teams, the Orioles will almost certainly appeal.

[...]

In other words, while the decision is a victory for the Nationals, it does not bring a conclusion to the saga nor money to their coffers.

Last edited by Hivemind: 07-13-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Slateman

Also, because the ruling was 3-2, Angelos can appeal to the New York Court of Appeals

Old
07-14-2017, 01:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...ent/ar-BBEp5F4

Talk about a bust....

Red Sox designate Pablo Sandoval for assignment.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Aladyyn
eyes up

Aladyyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 12:25 PM
hockeykicker

Old
07-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Doolittle can close, but still need more pen help

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 04:47 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
yea, they getting there. question is, who does the other new guy replace?

Old
07-17-2017, 07:21 AM
Slateman

Quote:
yea, they getting there. question is, who does the other new guy replace?
Probably Adams. Or Gott. Honestly, there's plenty of people to get rid of.

This is a great trade if Doolittle can stay healthy.

I agree with getting another reliever, preferably someone who is a closer. Robertson would be ideal, however ownership wasn't willing to pick up his salary the last go around.

I could also see Rizzo making a deal here for a starting pitcher with team control through next season. We're probably not getting Joe Ross back until late next season, if at all. While I don't think a number 4/5 starter is the biggest need this season, it would be nice to try and set something up for next season.

Old
07-18-2017, 06:16 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
I heard from a beat guy, can't remember his name, on 980 that the other guy would get first crack at closing and Dusty would use Doolittle more in a specialty role against left handed hitters since lefties are 0-23 this year against Doolittle. Will be interesting to see how it sorts out.

Old
07-18-2017, 06:21 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Every beat guy or columnist I've heard speak about this trade have said the two prospects given up were ranked in the top 10 of the Nats prospect pool. They are young but important.

Old
07-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Slateman

Quote:
Every beat guy or columnist I've heard speak about this trade have said the two prospects given up were ranked in the top 10 of the Nats prospect pool. They are young but important.
That's only because they're basing those rankings on early March rankings after the Eaton trade.

Neuse is a 22 year old playing low A ball who might become a decent power hitter one day. Jesus Luzardo is 19 and a lefty, so who knows how he'll turn out. Projects were 4, maybe fringe 3, starter material.

It's not nothing, but just because they were in the Nats top 10 doesn't mean squat. The pool was bare after Giolito, Dunning, and Lopez were traded. If they were still here, Neuse is, at best, the 10th best prospect and Luzzy is simply intriguing

Rizzo needs to keep working and be willing to give up something of significance. The Dodgers' pen is great. We need to be right there with them. Really disappointed Rizzo didn't get in on the White Sox looking to trade Robertson and Kanhle.

Old
07-20-2017, 07:04 AM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
That's only because they're basing those rankings on early March rankings after the Eaton trade.

Neuse is a 22 year old playing low A ball who might become a decent power hitter one day. Jesus Luzardo is 19 and a lefty, so who knows how he'll turn out. Projects were 4, maybe fringe 3, starter material.

It's not nothing, but just because they were in the Nats top 10 doesn't mean squat. The pool was bare after Giolito, Dunning, and Lopez were traded. If they were still here, Neuse is, at best, the 10th best prospect and Luzzy is simply intriguing

Rizzo needs to keep working and be willing to give up something of significance. The Dodgers' pen is great. We need to be right there with them. Really disappointed Rizzo didn't get in on the White Sox looking to trade Robertson and Kanhle.
Washington had a deal for Robertson but lerners shut it down since they didn't like the fact that they were gonna pay his contract and only get 1 player when they could get more then one guy for the same price

Old
07-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Slateman

Quote:
Washington had a deal for Robertson but lerners shut it down since they didn't like the fact that they were gonna pay his contract and only get 1 player when they could get more then one guy for the same price
I know. I'm really hoping the Learners learned something from that, but I'm not optimistic. I'm wondering if the Learners are not as interested in winning championships as they are in making a tidy profit.