HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL18 Information Thread - 3v3, GM Overhaul, Defensive Stick, Expansion Mode

Old
07-14-2017, 03:26 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 500
Looks like a lot of fun to me. 3 on 3 EASHL is going to be great. Even if they don't change a thing, that alone makes the game better. If the AI can actually use their head and move the puck out of the zone on a breakout that would be fantastic. My concern is that they'll make it too good to where the AI will hit these amazing passes every single time that are impossible to anticipate or defend and lead to scoring chances. Oh well, improvement to AI is long overdue.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 03:43 PM
martiniheidegger
#freerasmus

lol, all the animations look exactly the same and two ('defensive skill stick,' 'offensive dekes') of their three big new features used to be in the game before they took them out for no reason. even the animations for those look the same as before they took them out.

they also say the same things about the AI literally every year, dressed up in empty developer-speak. three on three eashl looks fun but how much effort did they need to put into that? is it worth 70$? not for me, not even with a new cup celebration that any self-respecting sports game would have added 5 years ago (remember last year's game when the crowd sat down and became silent after you won the cup?). something tells me that gameplay is more or less unchanged also.

nhl 14 was the last one i could stand to play for more than a few hours. somehow the new mascots didn't keep me hooked. looks like i'll be skipping this year again.

martiniheidegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

As stated before, the current gen games are still ports of the old-gen, 360/PS3 games.

The physics, gameplay, animations, visuals, etc. has all remained the same. They've just added a few new animations here and there and made slight tweaks every year and sell them off as back of the box "features."

No Frostbite engine like we thought we'd be getting when the games moved onto the PS4/XBONE.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:57 PM
M.C.G. 31
Notorious

vCash: 656
That defensive skill stick looked exactly like the last game to have it did.

Everything about it was largely the same animations and movements and physics and whatnot.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:30 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Completely uninteresting video.

Just looks like more of the same. Gimmicky garbage that doesn't really fix the core gameplay issues that continue to plague the series.

Announce roster sharing, or fundamental player differences, realistic player types and differentiations, then you'll have my attention.

Gotta wonder how much these devs actually watch hockey. Sweet dekes and cool dangles are few and far between these days.

07-15-2017, 02:44 AM
TooGoodreau
Fan of Intangibles

vCash: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForUser View Post
Idk what game you are playing but the poke check can't be aimed at all. I have it happen all the time that my stick is directly in line with the puck and my guy automatically aims for the guys feet and trips him.
I haven't played NHL 17 so I can't speak on that but in NHL 16 you can press and hold the poke check button (R1 on PS4 iirc) and then start moving your right analog stick side to side and your player will sweep the ice with his stick and you can aim it somewhat. It does work from time to time

It does seem to me that ea is back to reintroducing old **** that they previously removed. Pathetic tbh but unsurprising. It is EA after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiniheidegger View Post
lol, all the animations look exactly the same and two ('defensive skill stick,' 'offensive dekes') of their three big new features used to be in the game before they took them out for no reason. even the animations for those look the same as before they took them out.

they also say the same things about the AI literally every year, dressed up in empty developer-speak. three on three eashl looks fun but how much effort did they need to put into that? is it worth 70$? not for me, not even with a new cup celebration that any self-respecting sports game would have added 5 years ago (remember last year's game when the crowd sat down and became silent after you won the cup?). something tells me that gameplay is more or less unchanged also.

nhl 14 was the last one i could stand to play for more than a few hours. somehow the new mascots didn't keep me hooked. looks like i'll be skipping this year again.

On a side note, I've been to the Burnaby studio in BC where the NHL games are made a couple of times. It's a beautiful place! They have a soccer field, gym, basketball court and a bunch of stuff. Sometimes I wonder if the developers are too busy doing other things rather than working on the game. They also have a party anytime their deadlines are met lol. Probably not, but I just can't help thinking there'd be one guy would be working on a new cup celebration and then someone would come by and say "hey wanna play some horse" and that's the reason why a new cup celebration took so long lol

With a studio like that you'd think they'd make better games eh. I think even the EA UFC games are made here and those are ******* compared to older UFC games like Undisputed 3 which was developed by Yuke's

They honestly add so little (when you factor in what they took out in the first place) from game to game it's kind of upsetting. Still think NHL 14 is better than any PS4/Xbone release. Hell, the PS2 releases had more features than current games, it's absurd

Last edited by TooGoodreau: 07-15-2017 at 02:50 AM.
TooGoodreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 04:49 AM
Patrik Barkov
Jets are good

My +/- list based on what we've seen so far:

+ I've been hoping for more and fancier dekes for a while. They look nice
+ GM overhaul. Apparently scouting, draft classes, other teams cap IQ, morale and player growth has been upgraded. Expansion thing is a nice plus.
+ I like having more control on defense with the d-skill stick.
+New SC celebration. Hopefully it's longer and filled with more passion.
+ 3on3 EASHL will be a ton of fun.
+Ratings overhaul so every NHLer is no longer just a bit over 10 ratings away from McDavid.
+The gameplay looks a bit slower and more controlled.
+AI improvments. We hear this every year though.
+Ristolainen has a real face

- No frostbite. The graphics need to get an upgrade.
- Game most likely still won't look or feel like actual hockey.
- No 5men cellys it seems.
- Focus looks to be 90% on HUT, which is understandable, but frustrating.
- No big BAP overhaul.
- No improvements on shooting, passing or skating animations.
- No improvements on hitting. Hitting needs to be toned down and look more realistic.
- I hope to see more realistic injuries and injury animations.

Patrik Barkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 12:16 PM
x Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
As stated before, the current gen games are still ports of the old-gen, 360/PS3 games.

The physics, gameplay, animations, visuals, etc. has all remained the same. They've just added a few new animations here and there and made slight tweaks every year and sell them off as back of the box "features."

No Frostbite engine like we thought we'd be getting when the games moved onto the PS4/XBONE.
Exactly. Fundamental issue of the game not playing the way it's supposed to is really the only thing that matters and it's not being fixed. No noticeable difference between this game and NHL 14 on Xbox 360.

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Nithoniniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Gotta wonder how much these devs actually watch hockey. Sweet dekes and cool dangles are few and far between these days.
The bolded is something I've remarked on over and over, especially when it comes to how they rate individual players. Two of the most hyped up prospects in a long time hit the market in Laine and Matthews, and the former is apparently a two-way forward with better skating than shot, and the latter is a playmaker? How do you even work around hockey in any form and not know guys like that better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Looks like a lot of fun to me. 3 on 3 EASHL is going to be great. Even if they don't change a thing, that alone makes the game better. If the AI can actually use their head and move the puck out of the zone on a breakout that would be fantastic. My concern is that they'll make it too good to where the AI will hit these amazing passes every single time that are impossible to anticipate or defend and lead to scoring chances. Oh well, improvement to AI is long overdue.
If I remember correctly, NHL 15 was all about guys cherry picking and calling for passes from AI D-men who launched missiles that landed on their stick. Moving away from that was one of the best things about EASHL in the newer games. I worry that we'll see a return.

I really hope that their improved AI for example knows where their own net is. Details like that.

Nithoniniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:19 AM
DudMan28

Anyone else despise all the custom celebrations in EASHL? They might be the stupidest things i've ever seen.

DudMan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
My only wish is that AI would automatically force players into quick decisions when trouble arises in front of them. Like if a player is lying flat on the ice in front of you the AI should allow an oncoming player to quickly swerve or step around the player instead of causing a 8 player traffic jam where everyone falls over one another.

Also when a defending player quickly corrals a puck in front of their own goalie they push it into the goalies trapper to cover or do a quick swerve towards the corner. I'm so sick of my defenseman continuously picking up the puck, bumping into the goalies invisible (but incredibly violent) shield and losing the puck causing it to go into my own net.

Old
07-17-2017, 11:03 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
When I first just saw "3 on 3" I thought that would be an awesome idea. But then I read up on it and how it's pretty much exactly like the 3 on 3 arcade version (no icings/off sides, no whistles, penalties = penalty shots, boosted hittings) so I lost interest.
I wish there was an EASHL mode where it was still the same playing engine, but just 3 on 3 instead of 5 on 5.

Complaints about moderator abuse should be sent to complaints@hfboards.com
WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:24 PM
ADifferentTim
Knowledgeable & Pure

Is NHL 18's Young Stars Edition download-only/DLC expansion or available as a physical copy for pre-order?

ADifferentTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 02:26 AM
VLU5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithoniniel View Post
The bolded is something I've remarked on over and over, especially when it comes to how they rate individual players. Two of the most hyped up prospects in a long time hit the market in Laine and Matthews, and the former is apparently a two-way forward with better skating than shot, and the latter is a playmaker? How do you even work around hockey in any form and not know guys like that better.
I doubt the devs do the ratings lol. Don't they have like "professional" scouts for that?

VLU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 05:12 AM
Nithoniniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLU5 View Post
I doubt the devs do the ratings lol. Don't they have like "professional" scouts for that?
True, but they are still responsible for the product. But it was a poor example, I agree. There are plenty of other things about the game that fits though.

Nithoniniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 03:32 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
When I first just saw "3 on 3" I thought that would be an awesome idea. But then I read up on it and how it's pretty much exactly like the 3 on 3 arcade version (no icings/off sides, no whistles, penalties = penalty shots, boosted hittings) so I lost interest.
I wish there was an EASHL mode where it was still the same playing engine, but just 3 on 3 instead of 5 on 5.
My understanding is that there are both modes that you describe. There is an arcade-y NHL hits style of 3 on 3(which they've titled "NHL Threes"), as well as authentic EASHL with all the normal online settings, just it's 3 v 3. I'm not absolutely positive about this, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.

This picture makes me the most confident that they are two separate modes.

http://imgur.com/a/YrBQw

Old
07-18-2017, 04:38 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
My understanding is that there are both modes that you describe. There is an arcade-y NHL hits style of 3 on 3(which they've titled "NHL Threes"), as well as authentic EASHL with all the normal online settings, just it's 3 v 3. I'm not absolutely positive about this, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.

This picture makes me the most confident that they are two separate modes.

http://imgur.com/a/YrBQw
Oh man, that's really awesome then.

Old
07-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Stephleref
Held by Holtby

3 on 3 EASHL sounds like a nightmare with how many people are cherry picking online.

Stephleref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 05:12 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephleref View Post
3 on 3 EASHL sounds like a nightmare with how many people are cherry picking online.
It's risk/reward. If you want to cherry pick, you're putting your teammates in a 3v2 situation in the defensive zone, and that's pretty dangerous considering how often wristers from the slot find the net. I really don't think it'll be an effective strategy to cherry pick in 3 v 3. In 5 v 5 you still have enough guys to cover the zone and get you the puck. 2 guys is not enough to cover the entire defensive zone. You'll get exploited for sure.

Now I can see guys flying the zone as soon as it's obvious their team is going to gain possession. To me that's different than cherry picking. The good teams are going to have someone who is both willing and capable of staying back and playing defense, and is adequate at moving the puck quickly to the forwards. You're not going to have success basically playing three forwards. You'll have 2 on 0 going back in your zone far too often.

This mode has me genuinely excited. Games are going to be ridiculously high scoring, but it's going to be tons of fun.

Old
07-18-2017, 05:23 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
It's risk/reward. If you want to cherry pick, you're putting your teammates in a 3v2 situation in the defensive zone, and that's pretty dangerous considering how often wristers from the slot find the net. I really don't think it'll be an effective strategy to cherry pick in 3 v 3. In 5 v 5 you still have enough guys to cover the zone and get you the puck. 2 guys is not enough to cover the entire defensive zone. You'll get exploited for sure.

Now I can see guys flying the zone as soon as it's obvious their team is going to gain possession. To me that's different than cherry picking. The good teams are going to have someone who is both willing and capable of staying back and playing defense, and is adequate at moving the puck quickly to the forwards. You're not going to have success basically playing three forwards. You'll have 2 on 0 going back in your zone far too often.

This mode has me genuinely excited. Games are going to be ridiculously high scoring, but it's going to be tons of fun.
Agree. And in the O-zone, it'll still mostly be a rotating cycle (a player behind the net, a player around the hash-marks/in front of the net, and a player up high to watch for cherry pickers), you'll just have a lot more room.
Seems like a really awesome mode, though I'm wondering how big the community will be. I'd pretty much always want to play 3-on-3 but some other clubs might still prefer the usual 5-on-5 which might make finding games hard.

Old
07-18-2017, 06:51 PM
CourtneyDagger50
Pumpkaboo

vCash: 590
Will players ever have line awareness and not put the puck offside for no reason?????

CourtneyDagger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:32 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyDagger50 View Post
Will players ever have line awareness and not put the puck offside for no reason?????
This along with running into our own goalie is my biggest frustration with the AI. The worst is when the puck is cleared by like 5 feet past the line, clearly offside, and instead of regrouping and letting everyone tag up, he skates it in and draws the whistle. Occasionally he'll dump the puck in in that situation, and that's not quite as bad, but still annoying to give up possession for no reason. They have no awareness of any fashion. The score means nothing, changes nothing in how they play. The time left on the clock means nothing, the set up of the other team means absolutely nothing, they do the exact same thing every single time. One of the main reasons I am excited for 3 on 3. It's tough to get 5 guys on at one time, and I just can't stand playing with or even against the AI. It needs to be substantially better.

Old
07-19-2017, 12:41 AM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOilers88 View Post
The thing that irks me most is that hitting has absolutely zero effect on a game. I usually rack up about 35-45 SOLID hits a game. Most are bone crunching. Yet by the end of the games, the opponent lines are as fresh as can be, and my team is dog tired. It's actually detrimental to hit the other team. What the ****?
What about not being able to pick up the puck? That irks me more. Though I hate when you hit someone and they get up and get the puck.

07-19-2017, 01:57 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mapes View Post
What about not being able to pick up the puck? That irks me more. Though I hate when you hit someone and they get up and get the puck.
I think they improved that aspect of the game for '17. In '16 it was almost a definite that if you hit someone with the puck, they would find a way to get back up and still have the puck. I didn't find it to be such a problem in '17, though it still happens from time to time and that's admittedly more than it should happen.

Old
07-19-2017, 03:24 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

im excited for eashl 3's so we don't have to play with as many compies.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote