HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part V

Old
07-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

vCash: 500
Coming from the Boro, i'd be more inclined to attend a few Vandy games at the Fairgrounds as opposed to having to hit up 440 and dealing with West End. I mean, getting to Vandy isn't really the worst thing right now, but as someone who doesn't partake in any before or after on gameday (for all sports), the further from downtown, the better for me!

Of course, it's always much easier going to a Blue Raiders game, and they're a better team. But maybe i'm biased, they'll always be #1 for me.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Coming from the Boro, i'd be more inclined to attend a few Vandy games at the Fairgrounds as opposed to having to hit up 440 and dealing with West End. I mean, getting to Vandy isn't really the worst thing right now, but as someone who doesn't partake in any before or after on gameday (for all sports), the further from downtown, the better for me!

Of course, it's always much easier going to a Blue Raiders game, and they're a better team. But maybe i'm biased, they'll always be #1 for me.
GO TOPS!

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Hey now. Sigi is gone, you can officially slow your roll.
You think I haven't already done so?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Moving Vandy games to the fairgrounds would be even dumber than putting the MLS stadium there.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:29 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Mafia View Post
Moving Vandy games to the fairgrounds would be even dumber than putting the MLS stadium there.
When Milwaukee was going for an MLS team 10 years, in a last ditch effort to bring a team a sports lawyer suggested a platform with a pitch that would roll onto the infield of the Milwaukee Mile racetrack after their preferred sites in the Third Ward, Menomonee Valley and Park East were all shut down by the city.

I honestly wanted to see just for how big of a disaster I think it would've been and somehow MLS officials endorsed the idea. So just remember, if you think your city officials have a bad idea or a stupid location for something, there's always something, somewhere that's infinitely worse than the idea your city had.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 02:28 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I've...uh....heard rumblings about that and firmly believe that would kill what's left of the little stadium experience Vandy football has. Disaster waiting to happen. Students won't even walk to the stadium from across the street for their 11am kickoffs, much less drive to the fairgrounds. Tailgating for the fans driving in would also likely suck.

For all the **** Vandy football gets, I actually like the tailgating atmosphere there considering the size of the school and fanbase. It's a really nice campus and it's fun to hang out there for games. Moving that would be stupid. Temporary home while the real stadium gets renovated? Maybe. Full time move? Redonkulous.

I think the biggest potential secondary benefit of an MLS stadium would be a new up-to-date venue for music that's bigger than Ascend but downsized from Nissan Stadium.
Wow. It's been years since I've been to vandy football so haven't heard those rumblings but totally agree with you that it probably would be a disaster.

Tailgate experience, gone, going out to eat nearby, gone, safety, gone......at the fairgrounds.

One of the reasons Bridgestone and ascend etc are successful---safety and eating/bars experience. Same is true at present vandy football location.

Doesn't exist at the fairgrounds. Yes the area is changing, but it'll be years.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:28 AM
sparkle twin
Love you, Nashville

I know that post said it was just a rumor, but, DON'T DO IT VANDERBILT! I can't believe Vandy would even consider moving their games to a stadium at the Fairgrounds. Even when they had a good team they didn't exactly have a huge student turnout.

An MLS stadium won't be ready for a couple of years so if Vandy was waiting for a temporary home to do renovations, why not just look into Nissan stadium so they could fix things now? Unless they did and the Titans said no, it would seem like Vandy is seeking a more permanent move.

When I was in college at Pitt I went from a stadium on campus to Heinz Field. They really lost a lot of the game-day atmosphere. It was so fun being on campus on game-days. I literally lived across a 2-lane street from the stadium. My dorm had a large plaza area and was between 4 frat houses and down the street from 4 others so there were always grills going, music playing, lots of people around hanging out playing games and getting ready for the game. Basically that's where most of the students/alumni and even the public would tailgate. The band would play on the plaza and in the quad early in the morning and wake up the students in the dorms/houses (wow, I literally just remembered that, I had forgotten all about that!). The Panther walk went past our building and down the street to the locker room.

At Heinz field the Panther walk is in the parking lot. Students take shuttles to games. There is a designated tailgate lot for students, but it's a good hike away from the stadium and under a freaking interstate overpass. It's just not the same as being on campus.

I lived in city that was obsessed with football. Even still, after the newness wore off there was a noticeable drop in the student attendance. They would come late and leave early. It was really bad. It's taken a while and a large effort to get students to finally be there on time and stay the whole game (a good team, coach, players help).

The on-campus stadium game-day atmosphere is special and it's a shame schools want to get rid of it. I just think this would be a big mistake for a school like Vanderbilt.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

I went to a mid-major football school with a stadium on campus and it's hard to imagine being a student with your team playing off of it. As far as Vandy goes, it's more on the level of mid-major than true SEC fandom so again, I think it would be stupid. A lot of people don't realize that South Carolina's stadium is off-campus but their fans and students are invested enough to not care so they deal with it.

I used to go to games in an off campus stadium but they didn't struggle with attendance. Last year in a bad season they averaged over 67,000. It's a historic stadium with a program that's usually successful so fans and students generally made the trip, even though the stadium is roughly 30 miles from the campus. A weird little thing with them is that their students don't start fall classes until towards the end of September so students are largely missing from the first few home games because they're simply not around.

Anyway, point is, Vandy doesn't have the pull IMO to be successful with an off-campus stadium unless it's just-off-the charts awesome.

Old
07-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I concur with the above. Part of the college experience is game day ON CAMPUS. If they're having trouble with kids getting there on time now, they will have real trouble if they move off campus. Part of the alumni experience is coming back to campus and reminiscing about their time there. That's just a bad move. My recollection is there is some green space near there, maybe baseball fields? Seems like they could take over some of that property to expand what they have presently and move the ball fields into the stadium to share space. It's rare that the two sports overlap. As for soccer, I think the best move there would be to build a dedicated facility, either on the outskirts of town (Bellevue, Antioch, White's Creek, Brentwood) or even the East Nashville side of the river going down to Inglewood or Madison, and bring in attractions for before and after the game.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 11:50 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Vanderbilt doesn't have to enough students (only 10k) and the ones there are not interested in football enough to worry about the atmosphere. The majority of the Vandy fans do not or have never attended Vandy so having it on campus is not life or death, moving it to an area with better access might actually increase the attendance.

I'd bet there's an announcement on a mix use stadium for Vandy/Soccer to the fairgrounds.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 02:22 PM
TitansVolsPreds615

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Vanderbilt doesn't have to enough students (only 10k) and the ones there are not interested in football enough to worry about the atmosphere. The majority of the Vandy fans do not or have never attended Vandy so having it on campus is not life or death, moving it to an area with better access might actually increase the attendance.

I'd bet there's an announcement on a mix use stadium for Vandy/Soccer to the fairgrounds.
I have about as concrete a source for this that there is without the last name Ingram. Vandy is going to play in any new MLS stadium if there is to be one built. That's part of the deal.

TitansVolsPreds615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Prostitutes will get you every time... Good job, good effort Hugh Freeze and your African Prayer Candles

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Nitrous Mafia

FOIA Request -> Nutt Fired -> fired from Ole Miss for sucking -> FOIA Request -> Freeze fired -> Joey Freshwater to Ole Miss

God, I love the SEC.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2017, 06:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansVolsPreds615 View Post
I have about as concrete a source for this that there is without the last name Ingram. Vandy is going to play in any new MLS stadium if there is to be one built. That's part of the deal.
A ground share between MLS & Vanderbilt would mean no MLS in Nashville. The league is in a position where it doesn't have to consider an arrangement where MLS isn't the clear primary tenant, which would be a terrible arrangement for Vanderbilt anyway, since they'd be moving to a stadium that will likely be smaller than MTSU's.

Vandy is not Texas Southern or Portland State; if it wants a new stadium, it has the donor prospects to get it done and should raise the money its damn self.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
A ground share between MLS & Vanderbilt would mean no MLS in Nashville. The league is in a position where it doesn't have to consider an arrangement where MLS isn't the clear primary tenant, which would be a terrible arrangement for Vanderbilt anyway, since they'd be moving to a stadium that will likely be smaller than MTSU's.

Vandy is not Texas Southern or Portland State; if it wants a new stadium, it has the donor prospects to get it done and should raise the money its damn self.
How would a team that only plays 6-7 home games be considered the primary tenant in that situation?

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 10:52 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Shea Weber: 14 years, $110 million

John Wall: 4 years, $170 million

is the NBA really that popular that they can support salaries like that?

07-22-2017, 11:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

NHL has a roster of 23 and the NBA 15. 1 player can play 3/4th of a game but an NHLer can play at most 1/3rd. But the current TV contract is insane and might kill ESPN

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 11:08 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

Because of ridiculous TV rights fees, the answer right now is yes- but that bubble is going to burst soon and it will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

What I find completely fascinating is not only the big money the stars get, but even just average players get obscene amounts (Such as JJ Redick getting something like $23 million this season).

If the NHL was equal to the NBA in salary, Victor Arvidsson would be making $24 million a year instead of $4 million.

I think I read somewhere that the highest paid player in the league (McDavid) would be something like the 70th highest paid in the NBA.

Crazy.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Iron Duke

US with their best game of the tournament easily tonight. Nagbe running the Ticos ragged, Dempsey playing the super sub and Howard was a rock.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 11:27 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Spending ESPN's money is too easy for the NBA.
ESPN bubble is about to burst and the NBA is going to regret these contracts.
Sadly ESPN has become nothing but NBA and NFL (mixed with political commentary) and all other sports are given only a backhanded coverage. Honestly in June and July 24/7 NFL coverage is overkill.

Last edited by Gnashville: 07-22-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 11:35 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I used to watch Baseball Tonight every night on ESPN. Now it's only on Sunday before their game of the week which typically features either the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants or Cardinals (and sometimes two of these teams.)

So yeah, ESPN can **** off.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2017, 11:57 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I used to watch Baseball Tonight every night on ESPN. Now it's only on Sunday before their game of the week which typically features either the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants or Cardinals (and sometimes two of these teams.)

So yeah, ESPN can **** off.
Is NBC's NHL coverage any better?
Rangers, Blackhawks, Crosby, Philly, Bruins, Wings almost every night.

Baseball is barely covered by ESPN anymore. It's a joke that they care more about Dak Prescott's bathroom habits than baseball. Fact is while they are always touting baseball death, by claiming the average baseball fan's age is 50 but the average football fan's age is like 45. And baseball's product is improving while football's is very mediocre over half the games are blowouts and most late season games are meaningless. The teams that have clinched a playoff spot sit everyone and aren't trying and the ones out of it barely try either.

Last edited by Gnashville: 07-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
US with their best game of the tournament easily tonight. Nagbe running the Ticos ragged, Dempsey playing the super sub and Howard was a rock.
The US was a force last night. I know Costa Rica isn't a world power but impressive showing regardless. When Dempsey came on it was an entirely different game.

Old
07-23-2017, 09:35 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Brickyard 400 = FAIL.

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2017, 10:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
How would a team that only plays 6-7 home games be considered the primary tenant in that situation?
Had a long, detailed post but "the token expired," whatever the hell that means.

The long and short of it is, MLS wants teams to have absolute control over their long-term venues. If someone's building a stadium from scratch, they want to be involved in every part of the process to shape it for the soccer team to succeed, even if that comes at the expense of other prospective tenants. The size of the stadium, the type of playing surface, down to the signage in the venue, they want to control all of it. If Nashville wants to split that control with an SEC football team, that sort of partnership is anathema to MLS. None of the other 11 bids have the same kind of strings attached, so Nashville will be passed over by MLS if Vandy is firmly attached to the stadium proposal.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote