HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Brian Campbell

Old
04-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Discard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
starts at 2:16 so you can skip to it.
Yep. That's how I felt about that play word for word. The defensemen are responsible for covering the front of the net. As soon as Campbell leaves the front of the net, you knew something bad was going to happen. I don't blame Jagr.

Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Dr Beinfest

Even Jagr blames Jagr. You guys would be blaming Campbell if he were in front of the net and his man scored.

It was evident that Jagr was EXHAUSTED. If you don't want to blame him, maybe blame Gallant? I dunno, but that goal was at the responsibility of the winger who didn't mark his man and that was abundantly obvious.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Even Jagr blames Jagr. You guys would be blaming Campbell if he were in front of the net and his man scored.

It was evident that Jagr was EXHAUSTED. If you don't want to blame him, maybe blame Gallant? I dunno, but that goal was at the responsibility of the winger who didn't mark his man and that was abundantly obvious.
I would blame any defenseman that did that. That's one of my pet peeves. You got to know when it's time to cover the front of the net and when it's time to go behind the net, that was not time. The danger was much more high in front of the net. The Isles' player was not going to score from behind the net with Campbell watching him, so there was no need to leave the front of the net uncovered to go chase that player behind the net.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 04-21-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old
04-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Dr Beinfest

Well, you can blame "any" defender all you want. Fact is, it was Jagr's assignment and Jagr had a lapse in defensive coverage that was routinely taken advantage of.

Old
04-22-2016, 01:52 AM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Quote:
Well, you can blame "any" defender all you want. Fact is, it was Jagr's assignment and Jagr had a lapse in defensive coverage that was routinely taken advantage of.
That's not a fact, that's an opinion. Because someone who has coached in this league just said he did like Campbell doing that on that play, and he always told his players never to do that.

Old
04-22-2016, 03:51 AM
Dr Beinfest

It's an opinion that a winger's defensive assignment is a defender? What sport are you watching...?

There's coaching styles about defenders playing the front of the net. Defenders generally rotate the front of the net, based upon where the puck is. The point is to apply pressure on the puck at all times, when you're set up in your zone. So, if Campbell's zone is where the puck is, he's going to pick up that man. Yeah, leaving the middle of the ice is bad on defense, but you have to sometimes. That's why you cycle positions. That's how an offense operates. They aim to draw the defenders by maintaining possession and completing passes in the offensive zone, until a lapse in coverage occurs. When Campbell gave chase to the puck, that's when the Panthers defenders start to move around. As that's happening, this is an Islanders chance to create havoc by connecting on passes. But if Campbell doesn't step up, it allows for the islanders to dominate possession. That's what Barkov does so well in the offensive zone. Anyways... point being is that right when New York shakes things up by drawing the defender, it's the responsibility of the five Panthers skaters to be on top of the passing lanes before the off-puck defender can move to the front of the net. Jagr had a responsibility to lock down the defender streaking into the slot, and he missed his assignment. The islanders knew exactly what they were doing... Hickey was made well aware that Jagr was marking him, and going into OT that was a huge liability.

Blame Jagr or blame Gallant's decision to put Jagr out there for so much ice time. But, this play was routine, and Campbell didn't do anything he wasn't supposed to be doing.

Old
04-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Crossbar

It's fine to blame Jagr too, but you cannot for the life of me allow a puck to easily slip right by you. Lay your body on the damn ice, go down on one knee at least, stay next to the net and keep the guy behind the net all day long, but allowing the puck to EASILY go right through you in the prime scoring area??? It happens way too often with Campbell.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2016, 09:15 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
It's fine to blame Jagr too, but you cannot for the life of me allow a puck to easily slip right by you. Lay your body on the damn ice, go down on one knee at least, stay next to the net and keep the guy behind the net all day long, but allowing the puck to EASILY go right through you in the prime scoring area??? It happens way too often with Campbell.
There's a reason why he has played so many consecutive games. His style of play is to avoid contact as much as possible and not sacrifice his body.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Quote:
It's an opinion that a winger's defensive assignment is a defender? What sport are you watching...?

There's coaching styles about defenders playing the front of the net. Defenders generally rotate the front of the net, based upon where the puck is. The point is to apply pressure on the puck at all times, when you're set up in your zone. So, if Campbell's zone is where the puck is, he's going to pick up that man. Yeah, leaving the middle of the ice is bad on defense, but you have to sometimes. That's why you cycle positions. That's how an offense operates. They aim to draw the defenders by maintaining possession and completing passes in the offensive zone, until a lapse in coverage occurs. When Campbell gave chase to the puck, that's when the Panthers defenders start to move around. As that's happening, this is an Islanders chance to create havoc by connecting on passes. But if Campbell doesn't step up, it allows for the islanders to dominate possession. That's what Barkov does so well in the offensive zone. Anyways... point being is that right when New York shakes things up by drawing the defender, it's the responsibility of the five Panthers skaters to be on top of the passing lanes before the off-puck defender can move to the front of the net. Jagr had a responsibility to lock down the defender streaking into the slot, and he missed his assignment. The islanders knew exactly what they were doing... Hickey was made well aware that Jagr was marking him, and going into OT that was a huge liability.

Blame Jagr or blame Gallant's decision to put Jagr out there for so much ice time. But, this play was routine, and Campbell didn't do anything he wasn't supposed to be doing.
Actually after looking at that play again, that whole play was a mess. It was hard to tell who was covering who.
This goes back to that bad defense this team has been playing for a while now.
This play doesn't happen earlier in the season. And there would be no one to blame. It's a whole team thing, it's not just one player.

Old
04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
There's a reason why he has played so many consecutive games. His style of play is to avoid contact as much as possible and not sacrifice his body.
Agreed. This is what makes him so durable and makes him able to log so many minutes. His ability to dance around with the puck offensively is another good example.

Old
04-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Actually after looking at that play again, that whole play was a mess. It was hard to tell who was covering who.
This goes back to that bad defense this team has been playing for a while now.
This play doesn't happen earlier in the season. And there would be no one to blame. It's a whole team thing, it's not just one player.
I agree that it was a total mess. Barkov was the center in open ice, who sort of drifted into no passing lane land. Campbell didn't have enough of a reaction. Jagr of course wasn't there... good reason for all of this. It was OT playoff hockey in a third game in four nights. They were exhausted.

Old
07-17-2017, 08:07 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Not a bandwaggoner

vCash: 50

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Rahooji
Tales of the FUNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I always liked his game. I'm gonna miss him.

Rahooji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:02 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

2011-12 Campbell was probably a top3 Panther d-man season all-time.

"No one's expecting us to do anything this year, right? We want to prove some people wrong and take that next step, and if we do that, maybe our peers take notice, and when the peers take notice, the media takes notice and then the fans take notice. That's how it starts. It starts on the ice. It starts with what we can control."
- #33 Willie Mitchell, 29/11/14.
SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Thanks Soup!

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:23 AM
FinlandPanther

Didn't like the way he went out with us. But great career and loved him while he was here.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

2011-12 Campbell was probably a top3 Panther d-man season all-time.
I personally can't think of two better Panther seasons from a defenseman. Svehla 96? And then?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Dr Beinfest

Well that explains that. Dude probably wanted to go out a Blackhawk.

Thanks Soup, you were phenomenal.

Old
07-17-2017, 11:48 AM
SpaceyInSpace

Quote:
Well that explains that. Dude probably wanted to go out a Blackhawk.

Thanks Soup, you were phenomenal.
Think he just wanted one more shot at the Cup.

SpaceyInSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Pumaconcolorcoryi
Livin on a Prayer

Gonna miss him big time.

He is a top 5 all time for me as far as Panthers are concerned.

Beezer, Lou, Bure, Barkov, Soupy are my top 5 in no order.

HM Shep and Mell.

Last edited by Pumaconcolorcoryi: 07-17-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Pumaconcolorcoryi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:39 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I personally can't think of two better Panther seasons from a defenseman. Svehla 96? And then?
Bouw had a couple of good seasons, as far as stats go.

Not sure if those two played as big of a role though, Campbell IIRC lead the league in TOI that season (or was very close to it?).

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:01 PM
PSLguy
#committedtothecats

Campbell treated the fans like garbage when he left. Tallon overpaid him and saved Campbell's obviously favorite team the Blackhawks from cap hell by trading for him. Sorry you had to get your millions here in Florida.

Bye bye and glad I don't have to see you on Panthers ice again.

PSLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Bouw had a couple of good seasons, as far as stats go.

Not sure if those two played as big of a role though, Campbell IIRC lead the league in TOI that season (or was very close to it?).
Svehla definitely played as big a role. Probably the most underrated defenseman of the 90's. It was he, not Jovanovski, who shut down Lindros in those playoffs.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:29 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Can anyone post that crap he pulled on the booing San Jose crowd??

One of the coolest moves from one of the coolest heads. I saw him as a poor man's Nicklas Lidstrom, very positionally sound, never really had to get physical, pretty damn good on the power play. Borderline HHoFer

I look back at what he did for us here and he was one of the best players this franchise ever had, at least from where I was sitting. Then to think he was a little better in Buffalo, I remember he definitely was excellent.

He was a bit of a jerk at Glacier, while Fleishmann and Weaver were not, but he was nice at the STHer events and he was an awesome player.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Pumaconcolorcoryi
Livin on a Prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
Campbell treated the fans like garbage when he left. Tallon overpaid him and saved Campbell's obviously favorite team the Blackhawks from cap hell by trading for him. Sorry you had to get your millions here in Florida.

Bye bye and glad I don't have to see you on Panthers ice again.
I can't even...

Pumaconcolorcoryi is offline   Reply With Quote