Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

London Knights 2017 Offseason Thread

Old
07-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Opak

vCash: 500
TSN reports that Vancouver will give Juolevi an opportunity to make the Canucks right out of camp, should he be good enough. TSN also claims that the Canucks are "exploring the possibility" of loaning Juolevi to Finland.

HC TPS (FEL) recently named Sami Salo as an assistant coach, even though he has no prior "official" coaching experience. He has mainly been doing some developmental work with young defensemen in the past. On top of that, the Canucks' official Youtube channel released this video, where Salo works with Juolevi as a "Guest dev. camp coach".

I have no idea of what TSN's sources are, but there's definitely some smoke to the rumor of Juolevi going to Finland. I have no idea how this would be possible, as he's still technically committed to London, maybe some of you could give your opinions on this?

Opak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:02 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opak View Post
TSN reports that Vancouver will give Juolevi an opportunity to make the Canucks right out of camp, should he be good enough. TSN also claims that the Canucks are "exploring the possibility" of loaning Juolevi to Finland.

HC TPS (FEL) recently named Sami Salo as an assistant coach, even though he has no prior "official" coaching experience. He has mainly been doing some developmental work with young defensemen in the past. On top of that, the Canucks' official Youtube channel released this video, where Salo works with Juolevi as a "Guest dev. camp coach".

I have no idea of what TSN's sources are, but there's definitely some smoke to the rumor of Juolevi going to Finland. I have no idea how this would be possible, as he's still technically committed to London, maybe some of you could give your opinions on this?
It's up to Vancouver to send him either back to London, or Finland. There will be talks with London and Vancouver regarding his complacentcy but the procedure to send him London is easier than sending him to Finland. He can be loaned to Finland, but London can have dialogue and convince Vancouver about why he needs to be back in London.

However, this will be the later, pending on what happens with this Adam Boqvist kid. If he shows up in London, there will be no need for dialogue with Vancouver, and will make the pain of losing him to Finland a little less evident...

tjziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:07 AM
zman77

Nicolas Mattinen.............Interview at Leafs Camp

Nicolas Mattinen.............Interview at Leafs Camp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTi-jiHofm4

zman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:43 AM
OHL insideout

tjziel; too funny... So you think that London will tell Vancouver why he should be sent back to London (because "the procedure is easier") before he would be loaned to play Pro hockey in Finland but then you want us to believe that London will just tell Vancouver to send him to Finland if the Boqvist kid commit's to London first. Even the almighty Knights can't influence the decision that will be made about where Juolevi plays this season. The Canuck's the agent and the player/family will determine this one.

OHL insideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Fastpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
It's up to Vancouver to send him either back to London, or Finland. There will be talks with London and Vancouver regarding his complacentcy but the procedure to send him London is easier than sending him to Finland. He can be loaned to Finland, but London can have dialogue and convince Vancouver about why he needs to be back in London.

However, this will be the later, pending on what happens with this Adam Boqvist kid. If he shows up in London, there will be no need for dialogue with Vancouver, and will make the pain of losing him to Finland a little less evident...
The Knights always maintained in the past to not getting involve or stand in the path of a young player's progress to higher level. They have always told us fans they don't know who's coming back to London until they see them crossing the Budweiser's door thresholds !

Fastpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:11 AM
nelli27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHL insideout View Post
tjziel; too funny... So you think that London will tell Vancouver why he should be sent back to London (because "the procedure is easier") before he would be loaned to play Pro hockey in Finland but then you want us to believe that London will just tell Vancouver to send him to Finland if the Boqvist kid commit's to London first. Even the almighty Knights can't influence the decision that will be made about where Juolevi plays this season. The Canuck's the agent and the player/family will determine this one.
Agreed, and I think most Knights' fans would echo your sentiments.

nelli27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 08:20 AM
nelli27

A nice tribute to "Branks" last night at the Bud Gardens with many notables in attendance: e.g. Brendan Shanahan, Mark & Dale Hunter, B. McCrae, Corey Perry, Danny Syvret, Brandon Prust, Dave Hutchinson, Pete James, and Branks' sister (among others).
His dedication to the Knights' organization, and in particular, his genuine concern for the well-being of the players attests to his character.
He will be sorely missed, yet his contributions not forgotten.
And since he was an Elvis fan, I'll end with: "Thank you, thank you very much!"

nelli27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 02:45 PM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHL insideout View Post
Nope, just say it's easier because they can still monitor him. As in it would be a little harder to keep in touch with him. Knights have no say in whether they come back, but I'm sure they can have dialogue to see how he's doing..... The Knights will try to sign Adam Boqvust and worry about Juolevi if they can't sign Boqvist first....

Old
07-13-2017, 06:02 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

vCash: 200
Great new scouting hire!

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 07:24 PM
webegtodiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Great new scouting hire!
who's the new guy?

webegtodiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Kobe1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by webegtodiffer View Post
who's the new guy?
Brendan Ross

Kobe1468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:15 AM
hockeylegend11

Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe1468 View Post
Brendan Ross
Great hire by the London Knights,solid hockey guy with insight.

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:25 PM
zman77

Max Jones............. Impresses @ Anaheim Ducks Camp

Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Because of all these camps and chair-shuffling, the month of July is an interesting one in the hockey business.
London Knights star Max Jones made it clear in his latest California visit that his intention is to crack
the Mighty Ducks lineup and become a teammate of ex-Knight Corey Perry rather than return to the
Budweiser Gardens for a third year.
"This is a summer where I need to kick it up a notch," the burly 19-year-old first-rounder said,
"because I'm really not looking to go back to London this year. I'm really looking to step into the lineup."
Jones is in a good position because he doesn't have to score --
the way Mitch Marner had to in Toronto -- to stick in the NHL.
He has the build and mentality to take on a checking-line job, too.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/07/14/ni...golden-knights

Comments on HF Boards from Duck Fans at Ducks Development Camp:

Jones was the best player on the ice by far in my opinion.

To many people here sleep on jones because he makes questionable decisions.
Hes actually super talented kid tho, and should translate into the NHL pretty well.

His motor might just carry him through his maturity issues.

He really shouldn't be a surprise, hes the kind of kid that was probably too intense/ too grown for juniors
and had to tone it down a bit... his game is def made for the NHL. Just saying:
Jones- Kesler - Silfverberg

Jones - The most NHL ready of the lot. He just dominated the rest of the kids out there,
his speed and aggression was something to watch.
Just wonder how well he will be against bigger players, would like to see him play a few games this year.

I think the style and player he is, that's good to see. I wont be shocked if him or steel get a long look...
jones imo is more versatile, in the sense that if hes not producing hes still going to be a
good penalty killer/menace on the forcheck.

Jones' physical tools are off the charts. I don't know if there's another prospect as big, fast, and powerful as he is.

The kid is going to be a player in the NHL.

The quickness is the most impressive thing.
He's got twice the acceleration Ritchie has which is going to make him a menace on the forecheck
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...2364483&page=3

Max Jones Vid:
"I don't want to play in London Next Year."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYsyHooyXg

zman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:20 PM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman77 View Post
Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Because of all these camps and chair-shuffling, the month of July is an interesting one in the hockey business.
London Knights star Max Jones made it clear in his latest California visit that his intention is to crack
the Mighty Ducks lineup and become a teammate of ex-Knight Corey Perry rather than return to the
Budweiser Gardens for a third year.
"This is a summer where I need to kick it up a notch," the burly 19-year-old first-rounder said,
"because I'm really not looking to go back to London this year. I'm really looking to step into the lineup."
Jones is in a good position because he doesn't have to score --
the way Mitch Marner had to in Toronto -- to stick in the NHL.
He has the build and mentality to take on a checking-line job, too.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/07/14/ni...golden-knights

Comments on HF Boards from Duck Fans at Ducks Development Camp:

Jones was the best player on the ice by far in my opinion.

To many people here sleep on jones because he makes questionable decisions.
Hes actually super talented kid tho, and should translate into the NHL pretty well.

His motor might just carry him through his maturity issues.

He really shouldn't be a surprise, hes the kind of kid that was probably too intense/ too grown for juniors
and had to tone it down a bit... his game is def made for the NHL. Just saying:
Jones- Kesler - Silfverberg

Jones - The most NHL ready of the lot. He just dominated the rest of the kids out there,
his speed and aggression was something to watch.
Just wonder how well he will be against bigger players, would like to see him play a few games this year.

I think the style and player he is, that's good to see. I wont be shocked if him or steel get a long look...
jones imo is more versatile, in the sense that if hes not producing hes still going to be a
good penalty killer/menace on the forcheck.

Jones' physical tools are off the charts. I don't know if there's another prospect as big, fast, and powerful as he is.

The kid is going to be a player in the NHL.

The quickness is the most impressive thing.
He's got twice the acceleration Ritchie has which is going to make him a menace on the forecheck
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...2364483&page=3

Max Jones Vid:
"I don't want to play in London Next Year."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYsyHooyXg
Great points! Max Jones is a man amongst boys during his tenure with the London Knights. Physically dominate, nobody could match his skill and physically...... but will he stay (with the Knights) or will he go??

I wouldn't be that far off to say that it reminds me of Bo Horvat and Max Domi. Both were drafted in the same year, however Bo graduated to the NHL in the 2015 season because he was physically ready and his style of play could be useful as a second, third or fourth liner. Whereas, if Max Domi didn't make the Top 6, he was coming back to London, as that is what happened. I think the same could be said for Max Jones, he doesn't need to be in the top 6 and score to be productive, because his style of played can be played throughout the lineup.....

There are certain things I would love to see. I would like to see him mature personally and become a leader, and if he were to come back, maybe have a goal of scoring 40 goals would be a good goal to have in mind. Developing more of an offensive side of the game can only help him standout even more in the NHL. Also get rid of that injury-prone and careless streak that he has. Play a full 68 or 60 games even would be awesome, and see how he progress and how good his endurance is. However, I'm 90% sure Jones is not coming back to London.....

Old
07-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Fastpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Great points! Max Jones is a man amongst boys during his tenure with the London Knights. Physically dominate, nobody could match his skill and physically...... but will he stay (with the Knights) or will he go??

I wouldn't be that far off to say that it reminds me of Bo Horvat and Max Domi. Both were drafted in the same year, however Bo graduated to the NHL in the 2015 season because he was physically ready and his style of play could be useful as a second, third or fourth liner. Whereas, if Max Domi didn't make the Top 6, he was coming back to London, as that is what happened. I think the same could be said for Max Jones, he doesn't need to be in the top 6 and score to be productive, because his style of played can be played throughout the lineup.....

There are certain things I would love to see. I would like to see him mature personally and become a leader, and if he were to come back, maybe have a goal of scoring 40 goals would be a good goal to have in mind. Developing more of an offensive side of the game can only help him standout even more in the NHL. Also get rid of that injury-prone and careless streak that he has. Play a full 68 or 60 games even would be awesome, and see how he progress and how good his endurance is. However, I'm 90% sure Jones is not coming back to London.....
Like a tunnel vision, Max Jones if he wants to move up can not be thinking London Knights, he must have a tunnel mind set on making the Ducks. Same can be said for all junior players at NHL training camps, it's a let down if they don't make it but that's part of the whole process. If Jones return, he is a candidate for captaincy and an almost shoe in for team USA at the junior Tourney !

Old
07-18-2017, 06:50 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
Like a tunnel vision, Max Jones if he wants to move up can not be thinking London Knights, he must have a tunnel mind set on making the Ducks. Same can be said for all junior players at NHL training camps, it's a let down if they don't make it but that's part of the whole process. If Jones return, he is a candidate for captaincy and an almost shoe in for team USA at the junior Tourney !
Max has shown nothing to me to be a even in the discussion for having a letter on his jersey as from Knights and Jones. Mete should be the captain.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Fastpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Max has shown nothing to me to be a even in the discussion for having a letter on his jersey as from Knights and Jones. Mete should be the captain.
Absolutely ! No doubt Mete will be considerate for the letter as well, my prefered choice would be Thomas. But with Jones return with a brand new approach to his game and if he can master his abilities and put in check his bad habits, he could be considered for the letter on his jersey just the same !

Old
07-18-2017, 11:33 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Agreed.

Mete, Crawley, Thomas, Pu......... All letter worthy.
But, I've always said "who cares" Kids in the room know who the leaders are. And follow, regardless of letters.

aresknights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 11:46 PM
Londoner Knight

Speaking of Jones...

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/07/18/ma...-junior-roster

Londoner Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:05 PM
tjziel

Quote:
To be fair, Max Domi didn't show any indication that he would become captain in 2015. All indications would have had Matt Rupert become captain, but it's all about what the players think.....

Old
Today, 12:20 PM
PP31
PhlyerPhanatic31

Whenever Max Jones decides a game is going to be his...it's his and ain't nobody gonna change that fact. He has that ability...he can be other worldly at times. That's a leader. The only problem is the wires don't run true all the time and he has the occasional short circuit and all hell breaks loose. That's not a leader. If Max can channel those occasional lapses and focus on being the player everyone knows he can be and control games...he gets the nod for a letter from me should he return.

PP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 01:13 PM
Fastpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP31 View Post
Whenever Max Jones decides a game is going to be his...it's his and ain't nobody gonna change that fact. He has that ability...he can be other worldly at times. That's a leader. The only problem is the wires don't run true all the time and he has the occasional short circuit and all hell breaks loose. That's not a leader. If Max can channel those occasional lapses and focus on being the player everyone knows he can be and control games...he gets the nod for a letter from me should he return.
Well put !

If I read this correct, you are saying we have two Max Jones on the team, and hopefully we get to dress the good one for everygame !!!