HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXIX: I buy you out, you don't buy me out

Old
07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... yes, me thinks that particular statement a tad assumptive, hyperbolic however it is their stated mission to "look at all options" in trying to find a new home, those links created and forged under LeBlanc & Barroway ergo those links in the chain have not been severed. Indeed, Steve Patterson hired in large part due to his experience in working with various municipal & state authorities, commercial real estate investors & lenders, sports teams & leagues, a guy with local connections who's main task is the pursuit of a new building in the Valley of the Sun.... And having witnessed the abomination of the aborted Worsley Bill, one has to ask; who's beating the dead horse? It is perfectly reasonable to opine that Patterson merely the newest link in a chain already forged, taking the handoff, the baton from LeBlanc's hand and thus....

.................................................. ............................. and, that it wont make a hill of beans of difference. Local, experienced or not. Lunacy is lunacy.

Well we don't know if another Worsley bill is forthcoming, but it already appears some people are making crazy assumptions as if it's already happened.

Not ruling it out. Just not going to lock myself into such a narrow minded viewpoint to score points with the eternal megathread cynics.

Quote:
Right. I was aware of his consultancy, didnt phrase his preexisting relationship as being "a chain in the link" because outside advisors, lobbyists & their ilk are 2nd & 3rd party players. Hired guns. Freelancers. Self employed or maybe employed by whomever else. Not "in-house". Not employee's or owners. Once they become so then they go from from being a charm on the chain to becoming an actual link in that chain...... Thats the way I look at it. Way it is.... Ha?... Get with the program Maing.

Truth is we do not know what the extent of Patterson's involvement was as a consultant. LeBlanc issued an unsolicited statement the day Patterson was introduced praising the hiring and described only working for a brief period with him.

Last edited by TheLegend: 07-17-2017 at 01:21 PM.
TheLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:13 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Yeah, we unfortunately not privy to the STH count, no idea what the % is based on attendance, fools game to try & guesstimate based on known numbers & %'s from elsewhere in the league given the state of the franchise. I have a hard time believing its anywhere close to 8000 though TFP. I'd be more inclined to project, guess that its 2500-4000, in that range.
I can't believe that it'd be that low. I am willing to buy that it might be below 8,000 but not by that much. As a full STH going to every home game, you start to notice patterns in seating groups around the arena as they fluctuate from game to game, particularly in the lowest-attended games of the year, and you can get a pretty fair reckoning of who are the full-season folks from it. I'm not sure about 8,000 as a concrete number because I had a harder time with the upper levels, but guesstimating based on the lower bowl there's no way it was ever as low as 2,500 - not even in the bankruptcy years where we were averaging 11K/night.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Well we don't know if another Worsley bill is forthcoming, but it already appears some people are making crazy assumptions as if it's already happened.

Not ruling it out. Just not going to lock myself into such a narrow minded viewpoint to score points with the eternal megathread cynics.
... now, TL..... no ones "keeping score", were "just talkin" here. no one can claim insider info, though sure, some do make (myself included) empirical statements to varying degree's which is fine. Thats their opinion..... Why is it so "crazy" therefore to "assume" based on whats gone down that the likelihood of another Bill being introduced is pretty high yes? How else are they going to go about it all? They need a public-private partnership. Thats clear as day, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
I can't believe that it'd be that low. I am willing to buy that it might be below 8,000 but not by that much. As a full STH going to every home game, you start to notice patterns in seating groups around the arena as they fluctuate from game to game, particularly in the lowest-attended games of the year, and you can get a pretty fair reckoning of who are the full-season folks from it. I'm not sure about 8,000 as a concrete number because I had a harder time with the upper levels, but guesstimating based on the lower bowl there's no way it was ever as low as 2,500 - not even in the bankruptcy years where we were averaging 11K/night.
... do you remember that event with the photographs of Seasons Ticket Holders held at GRA a couple three mnths back? Maybe 1500 people in total if that, however, as it was taken immediately after a game & many people wouldve bolted early... I figured at least half of the STH's had already left the building as in "who cares, I'm tired, wanna get home, work tomorrow" or whatever..... So I figured then & being generous probably 2500-3000 STH's, another maybe 1500-2000 partial STH's. So conservatively, low end pessimistically 2500, upper end optimistically 4000.... maybe even 5000. In the range of 20% of the buildings capacity at full.... And please understand this is not a criticism of the fans, fan base. Given the state of things its a wonder they average what they do overall, and thats pretty hardcore to be dropping what STH's are dropping given the state of affairs for years now. Im not blaming in anyway the fans nor the market. I lay the blame entirely at the feet of the NHL & previous ownership. Reserving opinion, judgement on Barroway. All his hockey moves thus far positives. Its this arena nonsense that I have issues with.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:36 PM
cbcwpg

Given that we do not know what the extent of Patterson's involvement was as a consultant and given that LeBlanc issued an unsolicited statement the day Patterson was introduced praising the hiring and described only working for a brief period with him......

How likely is it that Barroway saw Patterson as "the guy" who could in fact grease the right skids / wheels/ etc. to get an arena built.... and that LeBlanc just wasn't that guy and was never going to get it done, and as a result had to be removed from the process or as it turns out... removed totally?

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Given that we do not know what the extent of Patterson's involvement was as a consultant and given that LeBlanc issued an unsolicited statement the day Patterson was introduced praising the hiring and described only working for a brief period with him......

How likely is it that Barroway saw Patterson as "the guy" who could in fact grease the right skids / wheels/ etc. to get an arena built.... and that LeBlanc just wasn't that guy and was never going to get it done, and as a result had to be removed from the process or as it turns out... removed totally?
In terms of getting funding more specifically state approval for a new arena, IA hired Axion to lobby on their behalf. LeBlanc was more or less the mouthpiece.

Which makes looking at a new east valley arena still a daunting task. Yes, with Patterson's background and Barroway was still the majority owner when the tried the legislative route, the players involved are more or less the same.

Why are thye talking East Valley anywyas when Shannon has mentioned the 2 commissioners working for a joint arena downtown? I ask the same question in reciprocal too.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
In terms of getting funding more specifically state approval for a new arena, IA hired Axion to lobby on their behalf. LeBlanc was more or less the mouthpiece.

Which makes looking at a new east valley arena still a daunting task. Yes, with Patterson's background and Barroway was still the majority owner when the tried the legislative route, the players involved are more or less the same.

Why are thye talking East Valley anywyas when Shannon has mentioned the 2 commissioners working for a joint arena downtown? I ask the same question in reciprocal too.
Could be the tact that it is easier to lobby another owner (Sarver) than wrangling many members of the State Legislature...which does not appear to be working...

With all of the talk about multiple interest within the valley...just waiting in this line of immense revenue opportunity...it seems that once someone reaches the front of that line...the price at the window is too high...no real profitability...no arena...

It is likely that the real buyers are waiting...for the fire sale, instead...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:33 PM
cobra427

Quote:
How would that work?

Really? Why do you say that?

I call BS on this. There are depressed areas in the West Valley, yes, but this assertion is like saying that Mesa is low-income because it's right next to Apache Junction or that Tempe is low-income because it's right next to Guadalupe. East Siders would have the world believe that anything west of the Piestewa Freeway is an Alhambra-style hellscape. It's not true.

The fact is that it would be stupendously easy to come up with 15,000 fans per game in the West Valley if a) the team cared about building up a base there and b) the team dragged itself out of the basement. The other fact is that all of these sour grapes from East Side fans are going to look really embarrassing if they don't deliver on their promises if the Coyotes get an East Valley arena - and looking over the attendance history prior to 2003, there's precedent that says they might not.
if folks attend games, they might watch more on TV and become interested. The buzz of a team in Glendale attracted fans initially but then it wore off as the team lost. Go to a suns game or when the Coyotes used to play at TSA. Do you see a difference in the fan base? I do, the economics of PV, Scottsdale and parts of the east valley are far superior to Glendale, and it's not even close.

Glendale has become a nicer area and Westgate is certainly nice, as is the arena. Actually the west valley has become much nicer with new development. But when you think about season ticket holders or those that can afford to go to games consistently, 200K or better incomes is the target market and those folks (mostly) reside in the east valley (Scottsdale/PV). That is where you need an arena.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Fairview

The finances of this team, is like some type of pyramid scheme. You have a newly confirmed owner, who, when he first came on the scene, reportedly had to borrow cash or equity from the ownership group he was trying to join.Later he tries to recruit a partner(Frankel) to buy out IA, but after looking closer at the situation,Frankel ran away as fast as he could. No one else stepped up to invest in this wonderful plan, so Borrowaway secures financing at MasterCard rates.

Borrowaway, talks about owning a team being a life long dream but wants a new building put up in the East Valley. To get a building built there, it is likely the team would have to contribute at least $200+ million. To raise that type of cash,upfront, he would need to take on new partner(s), who likely would want a large stake in the team...for $200 million, they likely want better than 50%..so at that time it's goodbye to the Borrowaway dream.
OR

As we suspect, the real want here is... find a sucker to build you an arena, subsidize the team's operations and Borrowaway will continue to try to scrape by..by making payments on his high interest loan. The whole scheme seems very risky..no matter how it plays out.

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:58 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
if folks attend games, they might watch more on TV and become interested. The buzz of a team in Glendale attracted fans initially but then it wore off as the team lost. Go to a suns game or when the Coyotes used to play at TSA. Do you see a difference in the fan base? I do, the economics of PV, Scottsdale and parts of the east valley are far superior to Glendale, and it's not even close.

Glendale has become a nicer area and Westgate is certainly nice, as is the arena. Actually the west valley has become much nicer with new development. But when you think about season ticket holders or those that can afford to go to games consistently, 200K or better incomes is the target market and those folks (mostly) reside in the east valley (Scottsdale/PV). That is where you need an arena.
What concerns me or has me confused I guess.... Say I have the money to buy season tickets. Say I like the sport and want to watch it. IF the only thing that is stopping me from being a current season ticket holder is location and some more time it takes to get to the games, then am I really the fan the team wants in the long run? I'm just questioning how loyal I might not be to the team when it struggles when all it is today is some time in the car keeping me away.

Just seems to me that if the theory is that the vast majority or a good hunk of potential fans are staying away because of location, building a new arena in a different location doesn't guarantee anything and is still a very high risk venture.

Old
07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
The finances of this team, is like some type of pyramid scheme. You have a newly confirmed owner, who, when he first came on the scene, reportedly had to borrow cash or equity from the ownership group he was trying to join.Later he tries to recruit a partner(Frankel) to buy out IA, but after looking closer at the situation,Frankel ran away as fast as he could. No one else stepped up to invest in this wonderful plan, so Borrowaway secures financing at MasterCard rates.

Borrowaway, talks about owning a team being a life long dream but wants a new building put up in the East Valley. To get a building built there, it is likely the team would have to contribute at least $200+ million. To raise that type of cash,upfront, he would need to take on new partner(s), who likely would want a large stake in the team...for $200 million, they likely want better than 50%..so at that time it's goodbye to the Borrowaway dream.
OR

As we suspect, the real want here is... find a sucker to build you an arena, subsidize the team's operations and Borrowaway will continue to try to scrape by..by making payments on his high interest loan. The whole scheme seems very risky..no matter how it plays out.
And...that is exactly how a pyramid scheme works...at least what we have seen transpire so far...it just seems that Barroway is running on borrowed time...and money...

Old
07-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
What concerns me or has me confused I guess.... Say I have the money to buy season tickets. Say I like the sport and want to watch it. IF the only thing that is stopping me from being a current season ticket holder is location and some more time it takes to get to the games, then am I really the fan the team wants in the long run? I'm just questioning how loyal I might not be to the team when it struggles when all it is today is some time in the car keeping me away.

Just seems to me that if the theory is that the vast majority or a good hunk of potential fans are staying away because of location, building a new arena in a different location doesn't guarantee anything and is still a very high risk venture.
And...looking at the information that you posted here...only 5% (~24,617) of Phoenix area households earn over $200,000...

I would encourage Patterson to zero in on this data and make sure that the arena is built in close proximity...

Old
07-17-2017, 03:02 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

Quote:
Go to a suns game or when the Coyotes used to play at TSA. Do you see a difference in the fan base? I do, the economics of PV, Scottsdale and parts of the east valley are far superior to Glendale, and it's not even close.
Yeah, I've been to Suns games lately, and you know what? They can't draw squat. Is that because suddenly the East Valley can't economically support the team? Same question when the Coyotes played at America West/USAC/TSRA - did people run out of money when the attendance cratered?

"Far superior"... LOL... I lived for 20 years in Paradise Valley. Don't try to sell me that snake oil.

Old
07-17-2017, 03:08 PM
Llama19

Old
07-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Fairview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
I think it is more like.. he maxed out his credit card and unless he wins the lottery, he will have great difficulty making his payments

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... interesting.... I see the Houston Rockets up for grabs.... possibility pro hockey returns with Alexander out of the way... and......... wait a minute now...... Steve Patterson......... he's got some pretty deep ties to Houston..... one would imagine "ear to the ground"..... news to us the Rockets 4Sale but is it "news" to Steve, to Handy~Andy?.

Old
07-17-2017, 03:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
... interesting.... I see the Houston Rockets up for grabs.... possibility pro hockey returns with Alexander out of the way... and......... wait a minute now...... Steve Patterson......... he's got some pretty deep ties to Houston..... one would imagine "ear to the ground"..... news to us the Rockets 4Sale but is it "news" to Steve, to Handy~Andy?.
but how would that be easy to break the lease in Tucson, after all they did to be enticed to that option to buy it?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:27 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Yeah, I've been to Suns games lately, and you know what? They can't draw squat. Is that because suddenly the East Valley can't economically support the team? Same question when the Coyotes played at America West/USAC/TSRA - did people run out of money when the attendance cratered?

"Far superior"... LOL... I lived for 20 years in Paradise Valley. Don't try to sell me that snake oil.
I'm talking about the town of paradise valley, and if you don't think it is far superior to Glendale, I don't know what else to say.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:44 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

Quote:
I'm talking about the town of paradise valley, and if you don't think it is far superior to Glendale, I don't know what else to say.
I'm talking about the same town. And if you're being specific to the city of Glendale, then Paradise Valley is more affluent generally. "Far superior"? No. Move a few blocks in any direction from Kierland Commons and you have the same housing and amenities as, say, Peoria, Surprise, or Vistancia. They're even building a Desert Ridge/Tempe Marketplace-style mallplex up here, and isn't that the mark of a great community?

But as long as we're playing in the Sweeping Generalizations Sandbox, I know very well how the upper-crust of Scottsdale and its environs conduct themselves. Hell, I rubbed elbows with them at Orange Tree by where I lived. A bigger load of bandwagoners I've never seen outside of that area. No reason to go to a game unless the team had a good shot to win, according to them. Better to spend the money paying greens fees, what what.

Old
07-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
This Houston news has me narrowing my eyebrows in suspicion.

Say Barroway got a tip off that this was happening. keeps it a secret from IA, and buys them out fro pennies, so he can sell the whole she-bang to Houston.

Stranger things have happened in this saga

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
but how would that be easy to break the lease in Tucson, after all they did to be enticed to that option to buy it?
... Im not talking about the Roadrunners.... different species & league... Canis latrans.

Old
07-17-2017, 03:50 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

Say Barroway got a tip off that this was happening. keeps it a secret from IA, and buys them out fro pennies, so he can sell the whole she-bang to Houston.

Yes, but Barroway doesn't seem like he wants to sell.

That said, an arena deal in the east could technically refer to Houston...

Old
07-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Quote:

(*)
Old
07-17-2017, 03:53 PM
OmniCube

Quote:

Jacobs is currently salivating at the thought of a NHL team in Houston. If the new Rockets owner is amenable to a NHL team in Houston, the NHL is absolutely 100% going to make that happen one way or another.

OmniCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:58 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Need to get off the whole " yeah, but what about the AHL team " concern and any potential for holding anything up.

Is it a 10-year lease? Yes. Is this the AHL? Yes. Is the lease really worth more than the paper it was written on? No. Tuscon is a minor league team and no matter what... the existence of that team would not stop Barroway from flipping / moving / or teleporting the Coyotes anywhere if that was to become the goal.

And besides, why couldn't he move the Coyotes to where-ever and leave the farm team where it is?

Last edited by cbcwpg: 07-17-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old
07-17-2017, 04:14 PM
RR

If true this is interesting:

http://archive.aweber.com/brew-az-ma..._NEWS_SUNS.htm

Quote:
Phoenix – The Valley real estate grapevine has been abuzz following the spirited bidding last Wednesday at a public auction held by the Arizona State Land Department that involved Phoenix Suns managing partner Robert Sarver and a company represented by Snell & Wilmer LLP attorney Nick Wood, who also happens to represent the Arizona Coyotes.
While four entities presented the required cashier’s checks of $5,627 + million prior to the auction and were registered to bid, only the two companies actually bid on the 84.21-acre parcel located along the 202 Loop (Red Mountain Freeway) in Southeast Phoenix. Over the past two decades, the vacant tract has been considered as a potential development site for stadiums to be used for professional football and baseball.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote