HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

#92 Jonathan Drouin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2017, 08:59 AM
  #226
417
7 day theory
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 29,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
The deal was 100% already in place. MB is dumber than a ****ing brick but no way he's stupid enough to trade Sergachev without already having talked to Drouin's agent about the extension.
I don't think thats legal in the CBA... Jonathan Drouin was an RFA, not a pending UFA during the "UFA window".

Talking contract with an RFA on another team would be considered tampering as far as I know, unless of course you made a formal offer sheet

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:06 AM
  #227
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,852
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't think thats legal in the CBA... Jonathan Drouin was an RFA, not a pending UFA during the "UFA window".

Talking contract with an RFA on another team would be considered tampering as far as I know, unless of course you made a formal offer sheet
How hard is it to understand what I meant by that, do I have to spell everything out?

MB: Hey Steve, I want Drouin and I'll give you Sergachev for him
Y: Gee golly, that's a great and fair offer, done!
MB: woah, woah, woah my man, not so fast. I need to ensure he wants to sign with us otherwise we're out a stud prospect and a player
Y: Ok broski, talk to his agent.
*2 hours later*
MB: Hey Stevie Y, we worked out a deal with him...lets get er doneee

__________________
Your sarcasm isn't funny, it's cringe worthy.
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:08 AM
  #228
Michelangelo
Registered User
 
Michelangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't think thats legal in the CBA... Jonathan Drouin was an RFA, not a pending UFA during the "UFA window".

Talking contract with an RFA on another team would be considered tampering as far as I know, unless of course you made a formal offer sheet
It's not tampering if the other team allows you to do so, to test the waters in a non-formal way

Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:23 AM
  #229
417
7 day theory
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 29,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
How hard is it to understand what I meant by that, do I have to spell everything out?

MB: Hey Steve, I want Drouin and I'll give you Sergachev for him
Y: Gee golly, that's a great and fair offer, done!
MB: woah, woah, woah my man, not so fast. I need to ensure he wants to sign with us otherwise we're out a stud prospect and a player
Y: Ok broski, talk to his agent.
*2 hours later*
MB: Hey Stevie Y, we worked out a deal with him...lets get er doneee
The post you made, made it seem like a contract was in place before the trade was completed.

Settle down

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:24 AM
  #230
417
7 day theory
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 29,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
It's not tampering if the other team allows you to do so, to test the waters in a non-formal way
I'm not 100% sure...hence why I wrote

I don't "think" that's legal in the CBA...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
  #231
RealityBytes
Trash Remover
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
How hard is it to understand what I meant by that, do I have to spell everything out?

MB: Hey Steve, I want Drouin and I'll give you Sergachev for him
Y: Gee golly, that's a great and fair offer, done!
MB: woah, woah, woah my man, not so fast. I need to ensure he wants to sign with us otherwise we're out a stud prospect and a player
Y: Ok broski, talk to his agent.
*2 hours later*
MB: Hey Stevie Y, we worked out a deal with him...lets get er doneee
That's not how it went down, probably more like:

Ring, ring, ring ...
Y: Hey Michel, do you still want Drouin.
MB (drooling): Yeah, yeah, yeah, ...
Y: OK, give us Sergachev and a pick swap and he's yours.
MB: Let me check first.
Ring, ring, ring ...
(Drouin: I hate everywhere I play, I want to go home.)
MB to Drouin: Johnathan, do you want to play for us?
Drouin: Bien sur!!!
Ring, ring, ring ...
MB: OK Steve, we'll take that deal and swap 2nd for 6th if Sergachev plays less than 40 this year.
Y: OK ... done.
Y (to himself): Geez, I just fixed up my Vegas expansion draft list to protect the other players I want, got rid of my headache player who is due for a big raise, got a top defensive prospect I can play at ELC cost, and will swap a 6th round pick for a 2nd. Not a bad day's work.


Last edited by RealityBytes: 07-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.
RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:35 AM
  #232
HOPE
Registered User
 
HOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityBytes View Post
That's not how it went down, probably more like:

Ring, ring, ring ...
Y: Hey Michel, do you still want Drouin.
MB (drooling): Yeah, yeah, yeah, ...
Y: OK, give us Sergachev and a pick swap and he's yours.
MB: Let me check first.
Ring, ring, ring ...
(Drouin: I hate everywhere I play, I want to go home.)
MB to Drouin: Johnathan, do you want to play for us?
Drouin: Bien sur!!!
Ring, ring, ring ...
MB: OK Steve, we'll take that deal and swap 2nd for 5th if Sergachev plays less than 40.
Y: OK ... done.
Y (to himself): Geez, I just fixed up my Vegas draft list to protect all the other players I want, got rid of my headache player who is due for a big raise, got a top defensive prospect I can play, and will swap a 5th round pick for a 2nd. Not a bad day's work.
Who's michel?

HOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
  #233
Jaynki
Toe2Toe
 
Jaynki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityBytes View Post
That's not how it went down, probably more like:

Ring, ring, ring ...
Y: Hey Michel, do you still want Drouin.
MB (drooling): Yeah, yeah, yeah, ...
Y: OK, give us Sergachev and a pick swap and he's yours.
MB: Let me check first.
(Drouin: I hate everywhere I play, I want to go home.)
Ring, ring, ring ...
MB to Drouin: Johnathan, do you want to play for us?
Drouin: Bien sur!!!
Ring, ring, ring ...
MB: OK Steve, we'll take that deal and swap 2nd for 5th if Sergachev plays less than 40.
Y: OK ... done.
Y (to himself): Geez, I just fixed up my Vegas draft list to protect all the other players I want, got rid of my headache player who is due for a big raise, got a top defensive prospect I can play, and will swap a 5th round pick for a 2nd. Not a bad day's work.
Lol, holy ****, that is really how you describe Drouin?

You haven't watched him play it's evident.

He's tampa bay best skater after Stamkos and Kucherov. He was 20YO and was their best PO performer.

I am following this kid since he's 15 and playing in the Q. And at this stage in their career, he's been way better than Nathan MacKinnon.

There would have been a total euphoria here if we traded Sergachev for MacKinnon.

But you know, all these talks about PMD, Centerman make you forget that we traded for a franchise winger. Drouin is our better skater today. I could not care less about the position when we are talking elite talent like Drouin.

He's better than Pacioretty. He's two step above Galchenyuk, hell, they are not even in the same category of player.

And BTW, the way some people cried over the used of Galchenyuk here by MT. It was small brew compared to how Drouin was treated in Tampa Bay.

What did Drouin was egoist i agree. But at 20YO, go back home, and then get back in the PO and be the best performer is also a big proof of character and determination. This guy is not a choker.

What a ****ing nice trade by Bergevin. Bringed in huge huge huge huge talent.

And all the risk rely on Tampa Bay, can you imagine Sergachev not developping into that bonafide first pairing D?? because even tho he has many great tools, it's still speculative at this point. And even tho he become McDonagh 2.0. You won't regret Drouin.

But yeah, you could sure describe him as a problematic kid who needed a raise.

And you wanna talk about ****ing bad asset management??

Drouin at 6YRS 5.5M

Palat at 5YRS 5.3M

Johnson at 7YRS 5M

100% sure that 30 teams in the league go with Drouin.

It sucks to give away Sergachev, but for Drouin, you just don't think twice and you pull the trigger. It was now or never to acquire such a talent. MB has freakin done it!!! And bonus+++ he's a local player and will be very good for the marketing. His predecessors failed hard with Lecavalier and Briere.


Last edited by Jaynki: 07-17-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Jaynki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 12:25 PM
  #234
Ultimate Bandwagon
Registered User
 
Ultimate Bandwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
Lol, holy ****, that is really how you describe Drouin?

You haven't watched him play it's evident.

He's tampa bay best skater after Stamkos and Kucherov. He was 20YO and was their best PO performer.

I am following this kid since he's 15 and playing in the Q. And at this stage in their career, he's been way better than Nathan MacKinnon.

There would have been a total euphoria here if we traded Sergachev for MacKinnon.

But you know, all these talks about PMD, Centerman make you forget that we traded for a franchise winger. Drouin is our better skater today. I could not care less about the position when we are talking elite talent like Drouin.

He's better than Pacioretty. He's two step above Galchenyuk, hell, they are not even in the same category of player.

And BTW, the way some people cried over the used of Galchenyuk here by MT. It was small brew compared to how Drouin was treated in Tampa Bay.

What did Drouin was egoist i agree. But at 20YO, go back home, and then get back in the PO and be the best performer is also a big proof of character and determination. This guy is not a choker.

What a ****ing nice trade by Bergevin. Bringed in huge huge huge huge talent.

And all the risk rely on Tampa Bay, can you imagine Sergachev not developping into that bonafide first pairing D?? because even tho he has many great tools, it's still speculative at this point. And even tho he become McDonagh 2.0. You won't regret Drouin.

But yeah, you could sure describe him as a problematic kid who needed a raise.

And you wanna talk about ****ing bad asset management??

Drouin at 6YRS 5.5M

Palat at 5YRS 5.3M

Johnson at 7YRS 5M

100% sure that 30 teams in the league go with Drouin.

It sucks to give away Sergachev, but for Drouin, you just don't think twice and you pull the trigger. It was now or never to acquire such a talent. MB has freakin done it!!! And bonus+++ he's a local player and will be very good for the marketing. His predecessors failed hard with Lecavalier and Briere.

you make some very excellent points.
I agree that Drouin has showed tremendous determination despite the treatment by Cooper in Tampa.
And i also think the contract is amazing for a guy of his talent at his age.
I think he will be great here, let's hope Julien can manage the offensive talent well.

I think where most people have an issue is the fact that our defense looks utterly hopeless after next year. Let's be honest, even though Juulsen is showing good signs, he's not gonna be the #1 we need as Weber ages.

However, we needed offense. We got that.
We need to win now. We got something that can help with that.

Time will tell. But for now, after considering the pros and cons i think it is a good trade.

Ultimate Bandwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:00 PM
  #235
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityBytes View Post
That's not how it went down, probably more like:

Ring, ring, ring ...
Y: Hey Michel, do you still want Drouin.
MB (drooling): Yeah, yeah, yeah, ...
Y: OK, give us Sergachev and a pick swap and he's yours.
MB: Let me check first.
Ring, ring, ring ...
(Drouin: I hate everywhere I play, I want to go home.)
MB to Drouin: Johnathan, do you want to play for us?
Drouin: Bien sur!!!
Ring, ring, ring ...
MB: OK Steve, we'll take that deal and swap 2nd for 6th if Sergachev plays less than 40 this year.
Y: OK ... done.
Y (to himself): Geez, I just fixed up my Vegas expansion draft list to protect the other players I want, got rid of my headache player who is due for a big raise, got a top defensive prospect I can play at ELC cost, and will swap a 6th round pick for a 2nd. Not a bad day's work.
"Ring, ring, ring."

When did that conversation take place, in 1950? Did an operator connect the call from a switchboard? Maybe you're spending way too much time with LShap!

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:06 PM
  #236
overlords
#FakeBlous
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
"Ring, ring, ring."

When did that conversation take place, in 1950? Did an operator connect the call from a switchboard? Maybe you're spending way too much time with LShap!
Maybe it's the ringtone?


overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:21 PM
  #237
The Great Pateryn
Registered User
 
The Great Pateryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,398
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityBytes View Post
That's not how it went down, probably more like:

Ring, ring, ring ...
Y: Hey Michel, do you still want Drouin.
MB (drooling): Yeah, yeah, yeah, ...
Y: OK, give us Sergachev and a pick swap and he's yours.
MB: Let me check first.
Ring, ring, ring ...
(Drouin: I hate everywhere I play, I want to go home.)
MB to Drouin: Johnathan, do you want to play for us?
Drouin: Bien sur!!!
Ring, ring, ring ...
MB: OK Steve, we'll take that deal and swap 2nd for 6th if Sergachev plays less than 40 this year.
Y: OK ... done.
Y (to himself): Geez, I just fixed up my Vegas expansion draft list to protect the other players I want, got rid of my headache player who is due for a big raise, got a top defensive prospect I can play at ELC cost, and will swap a 6th round pick for a 2nd. Not a bad day's work.
What? I was Sergachev's biggest fan when we drafted him, but I was seriously disappointed. His defensive awareness is really worrisome, did not look good whatsoever when the stakes where high(playoffs and more) and did not seem to be anywhere close to being ready for the NHL in my opinion. He also isn't the fastest player, which is a pretty big asset for top pairing defensemen in today's game. Drouin is a HIGHLY skilled player, EXCELLENT skating, and has incredible work ethic. Those kind of players usually end up being near superstar players. The fact that he is only 22 on a steal of a contract is just cherry on top.

However, I am not going to lie, I wish we offersheeted Drouin instead and traded Sergachev for a center.

The Great Pateryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:45 PM
  #238
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi
 
DangerDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: T.O
Country: Japan
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
We traded a guy who has a good shot at becoming an NHL regular and a slight chance at playing on a top line for a 20 year old who is guaranteed to be a top line player and could become a true star. I think we did alright considering we need offense and we need to win soon.

I liked Sergachev a lot but their were things in his game that worried me a lot. He seemed soft, his head was always down and his defense needed work. A lot could go wrong with him. He was either a slam dunk or a bust.

Now Drouins upside is at least as good if not better and hes already shown that he can get it done not only in the regular season but also on the post season. Hes also on a great contract. I'll take that over sergachev any day

DangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
  #239
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
Lol, holy ****, that is really how you describe Drouin?

You haven't watched him play it's evident.

He's tampa bay best skater after Stamkos and Kucherov. He was 20YO and was their best PO performer.

I am following this kid since he's 15 and playing in the Q. And at this stage in their career, he's been way better than Nathan MacKinnon.

There would have been a total euphoria here if we traded Sergachev for MacKinnon.

But you know, all these talks about PMD, Centerman make you forget that we traded for a franchise winger. Drouin is our better skater today. I could not care less about the position when we are talking elite talent like Drouin.

He's better than Pacioretty. He's two step above Galchenyuk, hell, they are not even in the same category of player.

And BTW, the way some people cried over the used of Galchenyuk here by MT. It was small brew compared to how Drouin was treated in Tampa Bay.

What did Drouin was egoist i agree. But at 20YO, go back home, and then get back in the PO and be the best performer is also a big proof of character and determination. This guy is not a choker.

What a ****ing nice trade by Bergevin. Bringed in huge huge huge huge talent.

And all the risk rely on Tampa Bay, can you imagine Sergachev not developping into that bonafide first pairing D?? because even tho he has many great tools, it's still speculative at this point. And even tho he become McDonagh 2.0. You won't regret Drouin.

But yeah, you could sure describe him as a problematic kid who needed a raise.

And you wanna talk about ****ing bad asset management??

Drouin at 6YRS 5.5M

Palat at 5YRS 5.3M

Johnson at 7YRS 5M

100% sure that 30 teams in the league go with Drouin.

It sucks to give away Sergachev, but for Drouin, you just don't think twice and you pull the trigger. It was now or never to acquire such a talent. MB has freakin done it!!! And bonus+++ he's a local player and will be very good for the marketing. His predecessors failed hard with Lecavalier and Briere.
I'd disagree. Drouin has the most upside and is the youngest, but he also had the most value and had the stormiest relationship with the organization. Johnson plays a more valuable position and, with the caveat that he's had injury problems, has similar top end ability and is a money playoff performer. Palat has less offensive ability than Drouin, but while Drouin ATM is a defensive liability, Palat is an excellent two way winger. Drouin also gets most of his points on the PP right now, he's pretty mediocre at even strength. There are plenty of teams that would prefer a Palat or a Johnson to a Drouin, especially at different costs. Yzerman probably played that perfectly. He got an excellent blue chip prospect in Sergachev and still has an excellent offensive core of Kucherov, Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Point and Killorn.

I'm not saying its a bad trade, but lets be very careful about overrating Drouin. A lot of his appeal is still potential. And he still has a lot of areas in his game that he needs to improve.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:30 PM
  #240
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan
 
Habaholicgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
I'm not saying its a bad trade, but lets be very careful about overrating Drouin. A lot of his appeal is still potential. And he still has a lot of areas in his game that he needs to improve.
So players like MacKinnon and the appeal they have are still potential right? There is legit reason to be excited about a player like Drouin. Only in Montreal is where some Habs fans can take a reason to be excited and turn it into a negative. I think Drouin has proven himself over the last season and a half. He's only 22, of course he has areas to improve. But he's no Crosby or McDavid right? Is that what your really saying?

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:41 PM
  #241
Boulette Canon
Registered User
 
Boulette Canon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
There are plenty of teams that would prefer a Palat or a Johnson to a Drouin, especially at different costs.
Really? So plenty of teams would take Palat @ 5.3M or Johnson @ 5M over Drouin @ 5.5M? Either I'm missing something or I didn't watch TB play enough...

Boulette Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
  #242
Jaynki
Toe2Toe
 
Jaynki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
I'd disagree. Drouin has the most upside and is the youngest, but he also had the most value and had the stormiest relationship with the organization. Johnson plays a more valuable position and, with the caveat that he's had injury problems, has similar top end ability and is a money playoff performer. Palat has less offensive ability than Drouin, but while Drouin ATM is a defensive liability, Palat is an excellent two way winger. Drouin also gets most of his points on the PP right now, he's pretty mediocre at even strength. There are plenty of teams that would prefer a Palat or a Johnson to a Drouin, especially at different costs. Yzerman probably played that perfectly. He got an excellent blue chip prospect in Sergachev and still has an excellent offensive core of Kucherov, Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Point and Killorn.

I'm not saying its a bad trade, but lets be very careful about overrating Drouin. A lot of his appeal is still potential. And he still has a lot of areas in his game that he needs to improve.
Look at his line partner 5 on 5.

Pair him with Kucherov or Stammer 5 on 5 and you've got a PPG player. Problem with Drouin is that he totally blows defensively, he had limited times with safer plugs like Killorn and Filpulla at ES. He's been screamed at and very harshly treated with Cooper too. It's not all on Cooper, Drouin is special and is a bit of a diva. But Julien is charimastic and he is very kind. If he have a good relation with Drouin and the latter is open at learning, which i am pretty confident he is, we have ourselves a true superstar.

Drouin can totally control the play and the guy kinda invent scoring opportunities when he has the puck. He's our best skater not named Price.


Last edited by Jaynki: 07-17-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Jaynki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:05 PM
  #243
Jaynki
Toe2Toe
 
Jaynki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulette Canon View Post
Really? So plenty of teams would take Palat @ 5.3M or Johnson @ 5M over Drouin @ 5.5M? Either I'm missing something or I didn't watch TB play enough...
There is not a single team that would pick Palat or Johnson over Drouin.

I don't care if Palat is more responsible or Tyler Johnson is a C.

These are nice attributes for sure, but Drouin is younger than both of them and simply, just way more dominant with the puck, it's not even debatable.

Jonathan Drouin is one of the most dangerous player in the league with the puck on his stick. He invent scoring opportunities, he's faster than Mike Hoffman, gotta be one of the best five pair of hands in the league and he can totally shoot that puck. He can see everyone on the ice and he makes a lot of wow-pass. He's an electric offensive force.

He's also a weird and bit of an akward person and he tends to commit turnover and be weak defensively. That's workable, he's still very young.

From a skillset POV, he's in the same class than the best in this league. He's completely, completely elite.

That's utterly dumb to prefer Palat or Johnson to Drouin.

MB was quick and assertive and he took advantage of a situation where TB was willing to let him go for the right piece, fortunately we had that piece!!!!

Cap space, expansion draft, and a problem in the past with Drouin who was RFA.

It sucks to give Sergachev seriously, he was one hell of an asset, but you just can't pass on Drouin.

If we remove context(cap space, exp. draft, RFA status, problematic relation), Jonathan Drouin is a complete and total untouchable and you'd ****ing need more than Sergachev to acquire him. Props to MB for flairing and taking that opportunity.

Jaynki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:30 PM
  #244
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
Look at his line partner 5 on 5.

Pair him with Kucherov or Stammer 5 on 5 and you've got a PPG player. Problem with Drouin is that he totally blows defensively, he had limited times with safer plugs like Killorn and Filpulla at ES.
He's been screamed at and very harshly treated with Cooper too. It's not all on Cooper, Drouin is special and is a bit of a diva. But Julien is charimastic and he is very kind. If he have a good relation with Drouin and the latter is open at learning, which i am pretty confident he is, we have ourselves a true superstar.

Drouin can totally control the play and the guy kinda invent scoring opportunities when he has the puck. He's our best skater not named Price.
That suggests he wont be "true superstar". True superstars can drag along anyone and produce. Drouin produced better away from Killorn, but Killorn produced better away from Drouin. Filp and Drouin were actually better together than they were apart. There wasn't anyone Drouin played regularly with that that didn't play better apart than Drouin did apart. He didn't drive play at even strength.

Drouin likely isn't going to "control the play", but he will create scoring chances at even strength and help improve Montreal's PP. Much like Radulov didn't control the play but created scoring chances. And that's fine. But Drouin probably wont be a superstar and may not even be a star. And expecting him to bring more to the table than Weber or Pacioretty is setting a standard that he hasn't shown he's capable of meeting. He's comparable to Galchenyuk. If both are healthy, we can expect 55ish point seasons from both of them. Which is really good. COmbine it with Pacioretty's elite goal scoring, hopefully healthy seasons from Gallagher and Hemsky, more responsibility for Lehkonen and Shaw, Danault and Byron and Montreal will have one of the deepest offenses in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulette Canon View Post
Really? So plenty of teams would take Palat @ 5.3M or Johnson @ 5M over Drouin @ 5.5M? Either I'm missing something or I didn't watch TB play enough...
Uh, yes. Toronto for one would absolutely prefer Palat to Drouin based on team needs. Pittsburgh would take either over Drouin. Rangers probably need a Johnson more than a Drouin. Nashville too.


Why are people putting Drouin on a pedestal? He's not a star yet and may not be that 1st line star. Lets enjoy what he is, hope he can take the next step and not set him up for failure.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:07 PM
  #245
Jaynki
Toe2Toe
 
Jaynki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
Drouin likely isn't going to "control the play", but he will create scoring chances at even strength and help improve Montreal's PP. Much like Radulov didn't control the play but created scoring chances. And that's fine. But Drouin probably wont be a superstar and may not even be a star. And expecting him to bring more to the table than Weber or Pacioretty is setting a standard that he hasn't shown he's capable of meeting. He's comparable to Galchenyuk. If both are healthy, we can expect 55ish point seasons from both of them. Which is really good. COmbine it with Pacioretty's elite goal scoring, hopefully healthy seasons from Gallagher and Hemsky, more responsibility for Lehkonen and Shaw, Danault and Byron and Montreal will have one of the deepest offenses in the NHL.
Drouin has not accomplished as much as Pacioretty as it stands right now i agree. Comparing with Weber is difficult because we are talking about a perennial top pairing D.

But from a skillset point of view, skating, shot(he don't have Pacioretty release's but Drouin can make a shot of great quality every possible way, slapshot backhander wristshot etc...), hands, IQ, vision, assertiveness, Drouin is by far our best player.

That may or may not translate to more than 55 points or more points than Pacioretty, but to me, those are like very very prudent expectation(He had 53 points in 73games last season, and he should have way better icetime and he is in a better environment for him here). I personally believe Jonathan Drouin is a PPG in this league and i personally believe Jonathan Drouin is our best player. Let's not forget how young he is. He turned 22 one month and a half ago..... At 20YO, Drouin went back from his tirade and he was Tampa Bay second best player, right up there with Kucherov, showing similar skills and similar level of competitiveness. Evidently, Kucherov is way, way more responsible and is actually a very good defensive player too. More complete than Drouin, as he sucks big time defensively.

Also, Jonathan Drouin totally control the play when he has the puck on his stick. He skate around dman, one of the best dangler in the league, is patient with the puck and can make great great passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
Uh, yes. Toronto for one would absolutely prefer Palat to Drouin based on team needs. Pittsburgh would take either over Drouin. Rangers probably need a Johnson more than a Drouin. Nashville too.


Why are people putting Drouin on a pedestal? He's not a star yet and may not be that 1st line star. Lets enjoy what he is, hope he can take the next step and not set him up for failure.
I am fairly confident that neither of these teams would pick Palat or Johnson before Drouin.

Drouin four years younger than Palat, and they're not 28 and 32... it's 21 and 25.

Drouin five years younger than Johnson. Drouin been more productive and a better playoff performer in 2016. Johnson is ****in clutch too.

Playing center and being responsible are the only two attributes that these two players have that Drouin has not.

But on the other hand, Johnson and Palat can only dream of Jonathan Drouin skillset.

Once again, when we are talking elite talent like Drouin, common attributes like position or defensive awareness can go to hell.

I understand your point and i agree with the thinking. But Drouin is too much of a good player to pick the other two based on their position and defensive awareness. Whatever the team needs is.

It's like saying Pittsburgh would take Danault before Galchenyuk because Danault is better fitted for their 3C behind Malkin and Crosby. That would be mind boggling utterly crazy, even tho the line of thinking is good, you pick Galchenyuk period.

Im not an expert and that's just my fanatic opinion tho


Last edited by Jaynki: 07-17-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Jaynki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:09 PM
  #246
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
Drouin has not accomplished as much as Pacioretty as it stands right now i agree. Comparing with Weber is difficult because we are talking about a perennial top pairing D.

But from a skillset point of view, skating, shot(he don't have Pacioretty release's but Drouin can make a shot of great quality every possible way, slapshot backhander wristshot etc...), hands, IQ, vision, assertiveness, Drouin is by far our best player.
Galchenyuk has a greater shot repitoire than Drouin, since your significantly overrating Drouin's ability to get heavy shots off. Drouin has elite hands and vision, but his IQ is a work in progress (evidenced by his reading of plays without the puck) and his assertiveness is reliant on linemates drawing defenders away from him by being shooting threats. I'm not sure what Drouin you've been watching, but he hasn't been that player you say he is in the NHL. Maybe in the Q, but he's more of a peer of Galchenyuk in the NHL than some gamebreaking talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
That may or may not translate to more than 55 points or more points than Pacioretty, but to me, those are like very very prudent expectation(He had 53 points in 73games last season, and he should have way better icetime and he is in a better environment for him here). I personally believe Jonathan Drouin is a PPG in this league and i personally believe Jonathan Drouin is our best player. Let's not forget how young he is. He turned 22 one month and a half ago..... At 20YO, Drouin went back from his tirade and he was Tampa Bay second best player, right up there with Kucherov, showing similar skills and similar level of competitiveness. Evidently, Kucherov is way, way more responsible and is actually a very good defensive player too. More complete than Drouin, as he sucks big time defensively.

Also, Jonathan Drouin totally control the play when he has the puck on his stick. He skate around dman, one of the best dangler in the league, is patient with the puck and can make great great passes.
He can't do it alone though, which is basically what seperates superstars. If he just tries to hero it in, he gets stripped of the puck just like Galchenyuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
I am fairly confident that neither of these teams would pick Palat or Johnson before Drouin.

Drouin four years younger than Palat, and they're not 28 and 32... it's 21 and 25.

Drouin five years younger than Johnson. Drouin been more productive and a better playoff performer in 2016. Johnson is ****in clutch too.

Playing center and being responsible are the only two attributes that these two players have that Drouin has not.

But on the other hand, Johnson and Palat can only dream of Jonathan Drouin skillset.

Once again, when we are talking elite talent like Drouin, common attributes like position or defensive awareness can go to hell.

I understand your point and i agree with the thinking. But Drouin is too much of a good player to pick the other two based on their position and defensive awareness. Whatever the team needs is.

It's like saying Pittsburgh would take Danault before Galchenyuk because Danault is better fitted for their 3C behind Malkin and Crosby. That would be mind boggling utterly crazy, even tho the line of thinking is good, you pick Galchenyuk period.

Im not an expert and that's just my fanatic opinion tho
Kinda my point. I think your discussing an idealized version of Drouin and not the actual Drouin. He's a great player, but he'll need to take another step or to to actually be that elite player. And you're granting him abilities that he has not demonstrated reliably at the NHL level. Stuff you'll see in a hype video but miss the bigger picture. As of now all we can expect from him is a good complementary piece on the top line or the 2nd line.

He CAN be an elite player. Doesn't mean he will be. Galchenyuk for instance has shown just as much at the NHL level and plenty of people are ready to run him out of town.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
  #247
Jaynki
Toe2Toe
 
Jaynki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolverine View Post
Galchenyuk has a greater shot repitoire than Drouin, since your significantly overrating Drouin's ability to get heavy shots off. Drouin has elite hands and vision, but his IQ is a work in progress (evidenced by his reading of plays without the puck) and his assertiveness is reliant on linemates drawing defenders away from him by being shooting threats. I'm not sure what Drouin you've been watching, but he hasn't been that player you say he is in the NHL. Maybe in the Q, but he's more of a peer of Galchenyuk in the NHL than some gamebreaking talent.



He can't do it alone though, which is basically what seperates superstars. If he just tries to hero it in, he gets stripped of the puck just like Galchenyuk.



Kinda my point. I think your discussing an idealized version of Drouin and not the actual Drouin. He's a great player, but he'll need to take another step or to to actually be that elite player. And you're granting him abilities that he has not demonstrated reliably at the NHL level. Stuff you'll see in a hype video but miss the bigger picture. As of now all we can expect from him is a good complementary piece on the top line or the 2nd line.

He CAN be an elite player. Doesn't mean he will be. Galchenyuk for instance has shown just as much at the NHL level and plenty of people are ready to run him out of town.
Well, it might be an idealized version of Drouin at some point but the only things lacking to attain that idealization is consistency.

Giving the context in which he played and his young age, combined to his talent and determination, i fairly think that he will bring consistency to his game.

If he could be more consistant(concerns the big majority of young players) and defensive implication, Jonathan Drouin is definitely our first line star.

I disagree with the Galchenyuk comparison. To me, Drouin has shown a lot more promise than Galchenyuk and this since their junior years. It's not a coincidence that Drouin was on team NA, despite his tirade with TB that same year and that Galchenyuk was not selected, even behind guys like Couturier, Larkin, Saad. I honestly believe in Galchenyuk and i think that Drouin can be a catalyst for Galchenyuk taking the next step but at this point in their career, Drouin is one step above Galchenyuk.

As for their shot repertoire, it's clearly one of Galchenyuk biggest strenght and i think Galchenyuk have a better one timer. Drouin don't shot as hard as Galchenyuk but he has a lot more accuracy.

I do agree that Drouin still has things to prove to be considered a star. I just don't remember the last time we had such a young and promising player with that unique skillset.

Jaynki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:17 PM
  #248
Tyson
Registered User
 
Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 11,770
vCash: 500
When I watched TB last season Drouin was always a threat. His speed and ability to make plays at high speed is something to be excited about. Habs did well getting him. World class talent. Let's hope he puts it together

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:43 PM
  #249
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
With a PP that can boast Max @ LW - Drouin C - AG @RW with Shea & ? on the points, all teams will have their work cut out for them. Avoiding the penalty box will be a paramount concern for all of the NHL teams against Montreal, IMHO!!!...

I can't even begin to imagine how great a PP the Habs could have with John Tavares as their centerman, with Drouin at the point or feeding passes to both Max & Tavares!!!... incredible probably next to impossible to defend against their playmaking & shooting arsenals.


Last edited by S Bah: 07-17-2017 at 08:51 PM.
S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:05 PM
  #250
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,992
vCash: 500
A big LOL at anyone thinking Drouin and the Habs didn't talk before the deal.

Come on guys, this is the NHL. You expect any enforcement of the 'rules'?

Drouin's willingness to sign with the Habs was actually part of the deal. Stevie Y knew it, Bergevin knew it, NHL knew it...

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.