HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXIX: I buy you out, you don't buy me out

Old
07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Need to get off the whole " yeah, but what about the AHL team " concern and any potential for holding anything up.

Is it a 10-year lease? Yes. Is this the AHL? Yes. Is the lease really worth more than the paper it was written on? No. Tuscon is a minor league team and no matter what... the existence of that team would not stop Barroway from flipping / moving / or teleporting the Coyotes anywhere if that was to become the goal.

And besides, why couldn't he move the Coyotes to where-ever and leave the farm team where it is?
JUST BECAUSE Alexander is selling, doesn't mean anything has changed in Houston, and the speculation is another potential Houston Aeros return, cbc, Tucson doesn't fit that narrative if Barroway owns both franchises. in short, Houston is still not an option until we know who is buying a) the Rockets, and b) do they want pro hockey there.

I'd rather see tbth, Seattle land the Coyotes if it has to come to that option.... fills 2 needs the NHL has likely sought for a while

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:39 PM
OmniCube

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
JUST BECAUSE Alexander is selling, doesn't mean anything has changed in Houston,
How do you know that?

Quote:
and the speculation is another potential Houston Aeros return, cbc, Tucson doesn't fit that narrative if Barroway owns both franchises.
If you can point me to something, anything, that makes the Houston Aeros or the AHL even remotely relevant to this conversation I'd love to see it. Otherwise, the only one I can see that is speculating about the Houston Aeros is you.

No AHL franchise, past or present, is going to affect the outcome of the Coyotes or a potential Houston team. I'm going to repeat that one more time: the AHL is not important in the context of this thread.

Quote:
in short, Houston is still not an option until we know who is buying a) the Rockets, and b) do they want pro hockey there.
In other news: water is wet.

OmniCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:03 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCube View Post
If the new Rockets owner is amenable to a NHL team in Houston, the NHL is absolutely 100% going to make that happen one way or another.
Yes, I agree. Houston has everything the NHL wants - a location in the Western Conference, a good building, and a huge swath of potential hockey fans - without any of the attendant political issues and watchdogs that Seattle and Arizona have. If the new owner is open to an NHL franchise, I'd consider it a fait accompli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
This is pretty intriguing. Sarver and Snell/Wilmer going after the same plot? Bidding against each other? There may be grist for the speculation mill here...

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:13 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCube View Post
How do you know that?

If you can point me to something, anything, that makes the Houston Aeros or the AHL even remotely relevant to this conversation I'd love to see it. Otherwise, the only one I can see that is speculating about the Houston Aeros is you.

No AHL franchise, past or present, is going to affect the outcome of the Coyotes or a potential Houston team. I'm going to repeat that one more time: the AHL is not important in the context of this thread.

In other news: water is wet.
What has always come up in reference to Houston chatter, Omni, and why hasn't there been more discussion over Houston---general consensus is LESLIE Alexander is it not, no matter what the discussion point is or devolves, too.... the point is HOUSTON is not free and clear yet just because ALEXANDER killed hockey in Harris County over how he handled Chuck Watson's exit and the Aeros being owned by WHICH NHL ENTITY, THE MINNESOTA WILD, AKA MSE, so yes, I doubt HOUSTON will see pro hockey

the realization of posters devaluing minor pro hockey astounds me

Old
07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Yes, I agree. Houston has everything the NHL wants - a location in the Western Conference, a good building, and a huge swath of potential hockey fans - without any of the attendant political issues and watchdogs that Seattle and Arizona have. If the new owner is open to an NHL franchise, I'd consider it a fait accompli.

This is pretty intriguing. Sarver and Snell/Wilmer going after the same plot? Bidding against each other? There may be grist for the speculation mill here...
http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Pendin...ail-container2

Corporate entity is PHOENIX RETAIL CO., LLC. New corporation. APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FOREIGN LLC received by ACC on July 13.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:41 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:

Corporate entity is PHOENIX RETAIL CO., LLC. New corporation. APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FOREIGN LLC received by ACC on July 13.
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
This Houston news has me narrowing my eyebrows in suspicion.

Say Barroway got a tip off that this was happening. keeps it a secret from IA, and buys them out fro pennies, so he can sell the whole she-bang to Houston.

Stranger things have happened in this saga
I want to reiterate that this is bordering on irresponsible speculation.

I just don't trust anyone right now.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?
Is this piece of land in Phoenix proper?

Though on the surface it looks like it was won a by a firm that doesn't have any plans for an arena on that site. Just my take but Nick Woods would have other clients too so if there's some smoke here we'll see it soon.

Still if Sarver was bidding, that looks like he is/was looking at site for a future arena. If that's the case, it doesn't suggest a he's looking at a joint venture with the Coyotes as Mr. Shannon suggested.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:

Quote:
Likely one of the many retail development sites that Snell & Wilmer are involved in...

But...it could also be a Westgate II...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:28 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

Though on the surface it looks like it was won a by a firm that doesn't have any plans for an arena on that site. Just my take but Nick Woods would have other clients too so if there's some smoke here we'll see it soon.

Still if Sarver was bidding, that looks like he is/was looking at site for a future arena. If that's the case, it doesn't suggest a he's looking at a joint venture with the Coyotes as Mr. Shannon suggested.
Sarver made his money in real estate. Could just be an investment. Regardless, he lost.
Snell&Wilmer are big hitters locally. Lots of clients. Doesn't appear to be Coyotes related based on the LLC info.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Llama19

Old
07-17-2017, 07:51 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
This Houston news has me narrowing my eyebrows in suspicion.
Shave your eyebrows. They are not serving you well.

Quote:
Probably can outright disregard the out-of-state angle. I didnt look up the LLC but it's almost certainly a standard Delaware lodging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Sarver made his money in real estate. Could just be an investment. Regardless, he lost. Snell&Wilmer are big hitters locally. Lots of clients. Doesn't appear to be Coyotes related based on the LLC info.
The mighty Del - I have great respect for your posts. Do you know how the parcel is currently zoned?

RR - great to see you here. Kind regards, CF

CasualFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:21 PM
_Del_

Nope. Haven't looked. Honestly, if you drop just shy of $24M on 82 acres of essentially undeveloped land, you either know you can already do what you wanted with it or that the city is happy to help accommodate you.

Old
07-17-2017, 08:29 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Nope. Haven't looked. Honestly, if you drop just shy of $24M on 82 acres of essentially undeveloped land, you either know you can already do what you wanted with it or that the city is happy to help accommodate you.
It's less than $300,000/acre in around a major city.

It's not an insane price to pay for any use.

07-17-2017, 08:38 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
it just seems that Barroway is running on borrowed time...and money...
Out of pure curiosity because I love being educated by the erudite opinions in these threads, what was the last NHL franchise purchase that didn't involve financing? If Bill Gates bought the Coyotes or Hurricanes tomorrow what portion (if any) do you think he'd finance?

Old
07-17-2017, 09:10 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Out of pure curiosity because I love being educated by the erudite opinions in these threads, what was the last NHL franchise purchase that didn't involve financing? If Bill Gates bought the Coyotes or Hurricanes tomorrow what portion (if any) do you think he'd finance?
The rule is 50%, off course the NHL tossed the rule overboard for this mess. The rule is mostly to keep the riff raff from wasting everybody time. It obviously failed in this case.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
The rule is 50%, off course the NHL tossed the rule overboard for this mess. The rule is mostly to keep the riff raff from wasting everybody time. It obviously failed in this case.
Rules...we don't need no stinkin rules...

So...which is Barroway...riff or raff...not that it matters...

Old
07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Vdom999

Link to Barroway's interview with NHL network tonight: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/nh...086/c-52427903

Vdom999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdom999 View Post
Link to Barroway's interview with NHL network tonight: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/nh...086/c-52427903
Soft interview...

To summarize...
  • Living the life that I always wanted to live
  • Day in the life - do hedge fund stuff, then team stuff
  • Decision to become sole owner - passion play, simpler now without 10 voices in the room
  • Extremely busy - filled hole up the middle, to win now and expect to compete for a playoff spot this year

For all of his talk of thinking about a new arena when he wakes up and thinking about a new arena when he goes to sleep...nothing about that was asked nor said...

Barroway was probably too excited to be interviewed on the NHL Network...

Old
07-17-2017, 10:16 PM
uhlaw97

A NHL ready arena in Houston will be available as soon as Alexander sells the Rockets.

Move the Coyotes to Houston and re-establish the Aeros!

uhlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:19 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

The parcel is roughly 2-3 miles east of the downtown core along the Loop 202. A few years ago it was one of the last minute sites suggested for the Cardinals stadium by a faction within the AZSTA who wanted to keep it downtown rather than out in Glendale.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:25 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Soft interview...

To summarize...
  • Living the life that I always wanted to live
  • Day in the life - do hedge fund stuff, then team stuff
  • Decision to become sole owner - passion play, simpler now without 10 voices in the room
  • Extremely busy - filled hole up the middle, to win now and expect to compete for a playoff spot this year

For all of his talk of thinking about a new arena when he wakes up and thinking about a new arena when he goes to sleep...nothing about that was asked nor said...

Barroway was probably too excited to be interviewed on the NHL Network...
Certainly glad I watched the piece before reading the thread today. No narratives to wade through.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I will motivate you!

Quote:
Quote:

My apologies RR. The shortcut you provided is invalid now for some reason so I fixed that up a bit.

http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Corp?corpId=R22024374

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Probably can outright disregard the out-of-state angle. I didnt look up the LLC but it's almost certainly a standard Delaware lodging.

CSC is to DE corporate filings as FedEx Office is to printing services

I've definitely learned over 9 years of this saga not to discount anything, but this really doesn't have any feel to it other than a land grab. Could lead to something, maybe not. I'm being honest here when saying I'd be shocked if Sarver prevails in this bid.

FWIW - There's a 2007 site evaluation report for that parcel (53-119007) that was originally done for Centex Homes, if that gives any indication what it was being scouted for previously. The file's too large to upload so here's the link. I'll do a breakdown if anyone is interested but it'll be a wee bit before I can get to it.

https://land.az.gov/sites/default/fi...7_siteeval.pdf

Truthfully, its kinda low-wattage anyway but with so many twists and turns over the years, its kinda hard to resist nonetheless

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:32 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlaw97 View Post
A NHL ready arena in Houston will be available as soon as Alexander sells the Rockets.

Move the Coyotes to Houston and re-establish the Aeros!
since when is Houston free and clear from anything, uhl? NOTHING has changed there and likely will not change

similar to Carolina changing hands potentially