HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXIX: I buy you out, you don't buy me out

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
  #451
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 18,046
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Need to get off the whole " yeah, but what about the AHL team " concern and any potential for holding anything up.

Is it a 10-year lease? Yes. Is this the AHL? Yes. Is the lease really worth more than the paper it was written on? No. Tuscon is a minor league team and no matter what... the existence of that team would not stop Barroway from flipping / moving / or teleporting the Coyotes anywhere if that was to become the goal.

And besides, why couldn't he move the Coyotes to where-ever and leave the farm team where it is?
JUST BECAUSE Alexander is selling, doesn't mean anything has changed in Houston, and the speculation is another potential Houston Aeros return, cbc, Tucson doesn't fit that narrative if Barroway owns both franchises. in short, Houston is still not an option until we know who is buying a) the Rockets, and b) do they want pro hockey there.

I'd rather see tbth, Seattle land the Coyotes if it has to come to that option.... fills 2 needs the NHL has likely sought for a while

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:39 PM
  #452
OmniCube
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
JUST BECAUSE Alexander is selling, doesn't mean anything has changed in Houston,
How do you know that?

Quote:
and the speculation is another potential Houston Aeros return, cbc, Tucson doesn't fit that narrative if Barroway owns both franchises.
If you can point me to something, anything, that makes the Houston Aeros or the AHL even remotely relevant to this conversation I'd love to see it. Otherwise, the only one I can see that is speculating about the Houston Aeros is you.

No AHL franchise, past or present, is going to affect the outcome of the Coyotes or a potential Houston team. I'm going to repeat that one more time: the AHL is not important in the context of this thread.

Quote:
in short, Houston is still not an option until we know who is buying a) the Rockets, and b) do they want pro hockey there.
In other news: water is wet.

OmniCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:03 PM
  #453
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser
 
The Feckless Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCube View Post
If the new Rockets owner is amenable to a NHL team in Houston, the NHL is absolutely 100% going to make that happen one way or another.
Yes, I agree. Houston has everything the NHL wants - a location in the Western Conference, a good building, and a huge swath of potential hockey fans - without any of the attendant political issues and watchdogs that Seattle and Arizona have. If the new owner is open to an NHL franchise, I'd consider it a fait accompli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
This is pretty intriguing. Sarver and Snell/Wilmer going after the same plot? Bidding against each other? There may be grist for the speculation mill here...

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:13 PM
  #454
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 18,046
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCube View Post
How do you know that?



If you can point me to something, anything, that makes the Houston Aeros or the AHL even remotely relevant to this conversation I'd love to see it. Otherwise, the only one I can see that is speculating about the Houston Aeros is you.

No AHL franchise, past or present, is going to affect the outcome of the Coyotes or a potential Houston team. I'm going to repeat that one more time: the AHL is not important in the context of this thread.



In other news: water is wet.
What has always come up in reference to Houston chatter, Omni, and why hasn't there been more discussion over Houston---general consensus is LESLIE Alexander is it not, no matter what the discussion point is or devolves, too.... the point is HOUSTON is not free and clear yet just because ALEXANDER killed hockey in Harris County over how he handled Chuck Watson's exit and the Aeros being owned by WHICH NHL ENTITY, THE MINNESOTA WILD, AKA MSE, so yes, I doubt HOUSTON will see pro hockey

the realization of posters devaluing minor pro hockey astounds me

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
  #455
RR
Registered User
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Yes, I agree. Houston has everything the NHL wants - a location in the Western Conference, a good building, and a huge swath of potential hockey fans - without any of the attendant political issues and watchdogs that Seattle and Arizona have. If the new owner is open to an NHL franchise, I'd consider it a fait accompli.



This is pretty intriguing. Sarver and Snell/Wilmer going after the same plot? Bidding against each other? There may be grist for the speculation mill here...
http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Pendin...ail-container2

Corporate entity is PHOENIX RETAIL CO., LLC. New corporation. APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FOREIGN LLC received by ACC on July 13.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:41 PM
  #456
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser
 
The Feckless Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Pendin...ail-container2

Corporate entity is PHOENIX RETAIL CO., LLC. New corporation. APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FOREIGN LLC received by ACC on July 13.
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:57 PM
  #457
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,184
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
This Houston news has me narrowing my eyebrows in suspicion.

Say Barroway got a tip off that this was happening. keeps it a secret from IA, and buys them out fro pennies, so he can sell the whole she-bang to Houston.

Stranger things have happened in this saga
I want to reiterate that this is bordering on irresponsible speculation.

I just don't trust anyone right now.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:13 PM
  #458
Mightygoose
Registered User
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?
Is this piece of land in Phoenix proper?

Though on the surface it looks like it was won a by a firm that doesn't have any plans for an arena on that site. Just my take but Nick Woods would have other clients too so if there's some smoke here we'll see it soon.

Still if Sarver was bidding, that looks like he is/was looking at site for a future arena. If that's the case, it doesn't suggest a he's looking at a joint venture with the Coyotes as Mr. Shannon suggested.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:18 PM
  #459
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Pendin...ail-container2

Corporate entity is PHOENIX RETAIL CO., LLC. New corporation. APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FOREIGN LLC received by ACC on July 13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?
Likely one of the many retail development sites that Snell & Wilmer are involved in...

But...it could also be a Westgate II...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 06:28 PM
  #460
_Del_
Registered User
 
_Del_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SkullcrusherMountain
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Is this piece of land in Phoenix proper?

Though on the surface it looks like it was won a by a firm that doesn't have any plans for an arena on that site. Just my take but Nick Woods would have other clients too so if there's some smoke here we'll see it soon.

Still if Sarver was bidding, that looks like he is/was looking at site for a future arena. If that's the case, it doesn't suggest a he's looking at a joint venture with the Coyotes as Mr. Shannon suggested.
Sarver made his money in real estate. Could just be an investment. Regardless, he lost.
Snell&Wilmer are big hitters locally. Lots of clients. Doesn't appear to be Coyotes related based on the LLC info.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
  #461
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 91

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 07:51 PM
  #462
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
This Houston news has me narrowing my eyebrows in suspicion.
Shave your eyebrows. They are not serving you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?
Probably can outright disregard the out-of-state angle. I didnt look up the LLC but it's almost certainly a standard Delaware lodging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Sarver made his money in real estate. Could just be an investment. Regardless, he lost. Snell&Wilmer are big hitters locally. Lots of clients. Doesn't appear to be Coyotes related based on the LLC info.
The mighty Del - I have great respect for your posts. Do you know how the parcel is currently zoned?

RR - great to see you here. Kind regards, CF

CasualFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:21 PM
  #463
_Del_
Registered User
 
_Del_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SkullcrusherMountain
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 50
Nope. Haven't looked. Honestly, if you drop just shy of $24M on 82 acres of essentially undeveloped land, you either know you can already do what you wanted with it or that the city is happy to help accommodate you.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:29 PM
  #464
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Carr.187 Km9
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 5,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Nope. Haven't looked. Honestly, if you drop just shy of $24M on 82 acres of essentially undeveloped land, you either know you can already do what you wanted with it or that the city is happy to help accommodate you.
It's less than $300,000/acre in around a major city.

It's not an insane price to pay for any use.

__________________
You pressed You, referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is You.
BattleBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:38 PM
  #465
_Del_
Registered User
 
_Del_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SkullcrusherMountain
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
it just seems that Barroway is running on borrowed time...and money...
Out of pure curiosity because I love being educated by the erudite opinions in these threads, what was the last NHL franchise purchase that didn't involve financing? If Bill Gates bought the Coyotes or Hurricanes tomorrow what portion (if any) do you think he'd finance?

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:10 PM
  #466
madhi19
Just the tip!
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Out of pure curiosity because I love being educated by the erudite opinions in these threads, what was the last NHL franchise purchase that didn't involve financing? If Bill Gates bought the Coyotes or Hurricanes tomorrow what portion (if any) do you think he'd finance?
The rule is 50%, off course the NHL tossed the rule overboard for this mess. The rule is mostly to keep the riff raff from wasting everybody time. It obviously failed in this case.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:14 PM
  #467
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
The rule is 50%, off course the NHL tossed the rule overboard for this mess. The rule is mostly to keep the riff raff from wasting everybody time. It obviously failed in this case.
Rules...we don't need no stinkin rules...

So...which is Barroway...riff or raff...not that it matters...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
  #468
Vdom999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Link to Barroway's interview with NHL network tonight: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/nh...086/c-52427903

Vdom999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
  #469
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdom999 View Post
Link to Barroway's interview with NHL network tonight: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/nh...086/c-52427903
Soft interview...

To summarize...
  • Living the life that I always wanted to live
  • Day in the life - do hedge fund stuff, then team stuff
  • Decision to become sole owner - passion play, simpler now without 10 voices in the room
  • Extremely busy - filled hole up the middle, to win now and expect to compete for a playoff spot this year

For all of his talk of thinking about a new arena when he wakes up and thinking about a new arena when he goes to sleep...nothing about that was asked nor said...

Barroway was probably too excited to be interviewed on the NHL Network...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:16 PM
  #470
uhlaw97
Registered User
 
uhlaw97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
A NHL ready arena in Houston will be available as soon as Alexander sells the Rockets.

Move the Coyotes to Houston and re-establish the Aeros!

uhlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:19 PM
  #471
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Is this piece of land in Phoenix proper?

Though on the surface it looks like it was won a by a firm that doesn't have any plans for an arena on that site. Just my take but Nick Woods would have other clients too so if there's some smoke here we'll see it soon.

Still if Sarver was bidding, that looks like he is/was looking at site for a future arena. If that's the case, it doesn't suggest a he's looking at a joint venture with the Coyotes as Mr. Shannon suggested.
The parcel is roughly 2-3 miles east of the downtown core along the Loop 202. A few years ago it was one of the last minute sites suggested for the Cardinals stadium by a faction within the AZSTA who wanted to keep it downtown rather than out in Glendale.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:20 PM
  #472
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:25 PM
  #473
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Soft interview...

To summarize...
  • Living the life that I always wanted to live
  • Day in the life - do hedge fund stuff, then team stuff
  • Decision to become sole owner - passion play, simpler now without 10 voices in the room
  • Extremely busy - filled hole up the middle, to win now and expect to compete for a playoff spot this year

For all of his talk of thinking about a new arena when he wakes up and thinking about a new arena when he goes to sleep...nothing about that was asked nor said...

Barroway was probably too excited to be interviewed on the NHL Network...
Certainly glad I watched the piece before reading the thread today. No narratives to wade through.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
  #474
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I will motivate you!
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Pendin...ail-container2

Corporate entity is PHOENIX RETAIL CO., LLC. New corporation. APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FOREIGN LLC received by ACC on July 13.
So an out-of-state entity registering an AZ DBA LLC - the "retail" part of it is what's intriguing. Is it someone wanting to develop strictly retail on that plot, or is Snell & Wilmer's representation more than simple coincidence?
My apologies RR. The shortcut you provided is invalid now for some reason so I fixed that up a bit.

http://ecorp.azcc.gov/Details/Corp?corpId=R22024374

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Probably can outright disregard the out-of-state angle. I didnt look up the LLC but it's almost certainly a standard Delaware lodging.


CSC is to DE corporate filings as FedEx Office is to printing services

I've definitely learned over 9 years of this saga not to discount anything, but this really doesn't have any feel to it other than a land grab. Could lead to something, maybe not. I'm being honest here when saying I'd be shocked if Sarver prevails in this bid.

FWIW - There's a 2007 site evaluation report for that parcel (53-119007) that was originally done for Centex Homes, if that gives any indication what it was being scouted for previously. The file's too large to upload so here's the link. I'll do a breakdown if anyone is interested but it'll be a wee bit before I can get to it.

https://land.az.gov/sites/default/fi...7_siteeval.pdf

Truthfully, its kinda low-wattage anyway but with so many twists and turns over the years, its kinda hard to resist nonetheless

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:32 PM
  #475
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 18,046
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlaw97 View Post
A NHL ready arena in Houston will be available as soon as Alexander sells the Rockets.

Move the Coyotes to Houston and re-establish the Aeros!
since when is Houston free and clear from anything, uhl? NOTHING has changed there and likely will not change

similar to Carolina changing hands potentially

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.