HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Juniors and NCAA UFA's

Old
04-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Juniors and NCAA UFA's

I was extremely dissapointed that the Habs didn't seem to be interested in Stefano Giliati....imagine my dissapointment when I learned that the kid was signed by the Leafs....I really don't see how this kid won't make an NHL'er. Late bloomer who started to add grit, and good overall hockey sense to the package that he already brings. Great speed, good knack for scoring, drives the net like crazy, might not turn out as a great top 6 but most definately a good 2-way on a 3rd line at the very least.

I really think it's a big steal for them.

Was Trotter really the most interesting guy we could get? The way Lever talks about him doesn't make me believe he'll be a great asset....or it's just Lever being Lever....

Anybody else you wish we could get before the others?
Anybody else that was already picked you think would have been great?

I know that I really wish we would sign Blanchard, the big Rimouski goalie.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 02:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Giliati= ville lasalle boy , whitesnake= ville lasalle boy......lol i get your points but the habs didnt really need him

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 02:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I was extremely dissapointed that the Habs didn't seem to be interested in Stefano Giliati....imagine my dissapointment when I learned that the kid was signed by the Leafs....I really don't see how this kid won't make an NHL'er. Late bloomer who started to add grit, and good overall hockey sense to the package that he already brings. Great speed, good knack for scoring, drives the net like crazy, might not turn out as a great top 6 but most definately a good 2-way on a 3rd line at the very least.

I really think it's a big steal for them.

Was Trotter really the most interesting guy we could get? The way Lever talks about him doesn't make me believe he'll be a great asset....or it's just Lever being Lever....

Anybody else you wish we could get before the others?
Anybody else that was already picked you think would have been great?

I know that I really wish we would sign Blanchard, the big Rimouski goalie.

I wanted Michael Lee Teslak but the flyers got him, imo we sorely need to improve our depth in nets as I have no faith in Danis as he's just been so inconsistent and he might leave as a UFA anyways. Desjardins i really don't know how he will handle the ahl, so far in limited time he hasn't been too impressive imo but perhaps with more time he will turn into a solid goalie. Lacasse I still don't know how he got a contract. It's funny cause I was pushing for us to sign Danis when he was at Brown and he did look really good in his rookie year but the last 3 years have been up and down for him.

Trotter I thought was a good gamble to take, as he is skilled with the puck, and if he gets stronger and quicker, then he might turn into something decent for us, but it's a small risk to take.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Giliati= ville lasalle boy , whitesnake= ville lasalle boy......lol i get your points but the habs didnt really need him
Used to be a Ville Lasalle boy....

Seriously, it has nothing to do with that. Only trying to watch as much Paquette lately than I did, you keep noticing Giliati's play over and over again with everything he does on the ice. Has to be one of the overagers that not only was impressive but that could see his game translate well in the bigs.

For exemple, another one that was always impressive when I was watching him was Alexandre Monahan. But contrary to Giliati, I find him too slow and not enough hockey sense to go much further in his career. AHL maybe but that would be it.

Old
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
I understand your point Whitesnake.
Habs could put more time and effort singing free agents in Junior and NCAA.
you will agree with me that these boys rarely pans out big time, of course there's exception (Penner,Mcdonald,etc..) but it sometimes just add more contrats signed and we approch the 50 barrier.

Stefano Giliati is a guy i enjoy watching, he really bloomed this year.
but you have to wonder what Toronto proposed.
As you may know, it's not only about money, it's also about where will the ufa play, on what line with who.
I dont think Toronto said you'll play in the ECHL all year and we'll see from that point, true honest statement Montreal would have said to him.

Watch what we did with Beauregard and Desharnais. It was cristal clear that they would play all year in the ECHL and could get some game in the AHL.

That being said, here's some players i think could get some attention as UFA right now or in a near future :

Ian McKenzie (6'5" RW top playoffs scorer)
Jean-Philipp Chabot ( heart and soul player)
Jason Demers ( have some upside)
Matthew Pistilli (had a great year)
Francis Pare ( only player to score 50 goals)
Robbie Bina ( youtube legend)
Carter Camper (tiny but talented)
Dion Knelsen (tiny but talented)
Scooter Vaughan ( some upside)

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 04:54 PM
kostitsyn1489

I wouldnt touch Pare with a 10 feet pole. I'm not sure how much his attitude changed in Chicoutimi, but he was a cancer in Shawnigan. I like him as player tho and thought he'd be signed in his 2nd eligibility year, but I'm not too sure about his attitude.

Personally I'd consider Arnaud Jacqueme, I've watched some Kootenay game and he''s pretty good. He could go back in WHL next year, but it's a guy Montreal should look at. He impressed me more then Sylverster and DaSilva who are supose to be the best players on that line. He did pretty well on every games I saw of him, he does everything well in offense.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Personally I'd consider Arnaud Jacqueme, I've watched some Kootenay game and he''s pretty good. He could go back in WHL next year, but it's a guy Montreal should look at. He impressed me more then Sylverster and DaSilva who are supose to be the best players on that line. He did pretty well on every games I saw of him, he does everything well in offense.
You stole my guy... I did talk about Jacquemet in the prospects thread, talking about Maxwell and saying how Jacquement caught my eye in few occasions.

I think that my biggest concern as far as Jacquement goes is his decision making and the rapidity that he makes it. He's a pretty dangerous guy when he has time to make decisions and when nobody's around. I understand that EVERY junior player might have that adjustment to make but it's just what caught my eye as well. But I wouldn't be against giving him a try, of course, I suggested it...

Old
04-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Popinski View Post
Watch what we did with Beauregard and Desharnais. It was cristal clear that they would play all year in the ECHL and could get some game in the AHL.

That being said, here's some players i think could get some attention as UFA right now or in a near future :

Ian McKenzie (6'5" RW top playoffs scorer)
Jean-Philipp Chabot ( heart and soul player)
Jason Demers ( have some upside)
Matthew Pistilli (had a great year)
Francis Pare ( only player to score 50 goals)
Robbie Bina ( youtube legend)
Carter Camper (tiny but talented)
Dion Knelsen (tiny but talented)
Scooter Vaughan ( some upside)
Don't know some in your list but some of those guys, I would definately give them a chance in the next development camp. Guys like Chabot, Demers, Camper and Knelsen. I think that we have already some guys like Pare, especially a guy like Desharnais who I don't see making it ever in the NHL.

Pistilli is a guy I don't see being able to translate his game in the NHL. But wouldn't hurt to invite him as well.

So, I'm not sure I would give any of those guys a 3-year contract. If so, if I had to choose somebody from that list, Demers would get it.

Old
04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Canadienjet

Would love to see the habs sign Dean Ouellet.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You stole my guy... I did talk about Jacquemet in the prospects thread, talking about Maxwell and saying how Jacquement caught my eye in few occasions.

I think that my biggest concern as far as Jacquement goes is his decision making and the rapidity that he makes it. He's a pretty dangerous guy when he has time to make decisions and when nobody's around. I understand that EVERY junior player might have that adjustment to make but it's just what caught my eye as well. But I wouldn't be against giving him a try, of course, I suggested it...
To be honest I probably watched him more after reading what you wrote of him. If I didnt really know him I'd have probably paid less attention to him, but still he looks dangerous everytime he's on the ice(Pretty much the only player on Kootenay that I can say that of). As you said he looks like a split second behind the play as far as decision making goes. Sometimes there's play, but once he notices it it's too late or when he catches pass in traffic he rarely get out of it with the puck. Still he's young and it's something that can be worked on. I dont think he'll be drafted as he wasnt dominant all year long, but if he wants to play in AHL some teams will show interest in him for sure if not this summer, next summer for sure.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiehabsfan View Post
Would love to see the habs sign Dean Ouellet.
That could be an interesting one. Any scouting report on the guy? How his skating? Playing bigger than his size indicates?

Old
04-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Canadienjet

Ouellet is a pure sniper scores with ease.Hes one of the hardest workers in the Q was invited to tampa bay camp last summer.Hes the captain of the Cape Breton Screaming eagles and is a pretty good skater.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote