HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators 2008 draft thread

Old
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

vCash: 500
Predators 2008 draft thread

Looks as if we are getting the 9th pick (thanks Smokey), 15th, 16th, or 30th (what I want) pick, the 32nd or 33rd, and a mid 40's pick. Who should we take?

Looks as if it's a strong year for Defensmen (go figure) and not so much for forwards.
http://hockeysfutureradio.com/08draft.html
My personal favorites are

Mikhail Stefanovich - Quebec, Right Wing 6'2, 202 he has SIZE we need plus it gives us a reason to cheer for the Remparts again

Mikkel Boedker - Kitchener, Left Wing 5'11, 201 Danish player adjusting to NA

Joe Colborne - Camrose Kodiaks, Center/Wing 6'4, 195 Big dude but playing at a lower level of Juniors could pad his stats and stock.

Mattias Tedenby - HV71-U20, Left Wing 5'9, 161 Small but blazing speed

David Toews - Shattuck St. Mary's, Center 5'10, 180 Jonathon Toews may take it easy on us if we draft his little brother

Should we trade up for Stamkos or Filatov or trade down or trade for a current NHL'er??

I'm just hoping Poile doesn't draft a Defenseman in the first round, 2nd and 3rd would be a good place to take a chance on someone but we need forwards with size.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 10:22 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I agree about Smokey, punk made our Florida pick lose value

Personally if we can't trade up I'd rather trade down, we've got more than enough strength at D, let's address an area of weakness.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I agree about Smokey, punk made our Florida pick lose value

Personally if we can't trade up I'd rather trade down, we've got more than enough strength at D, let's address an area of weakness.
Can we trade Smokey

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Can we trade Smokey
For a bag of pucks maybe... I keed I keed... no infractions please

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
nine_inch_fang

I bet they won't give you a bags worth....well maybe two pucks

Old
04-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I want Boddeker or Wilson with the first pick, Colborne with the second pick, and then BPA. I want Justin Jokinen in the late second or early third round round if we can get a pick there too. Otherwise...BPA all the way.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If you look at where the Pred's picks are, they right at the spots where the top forward talent are valued. I say just stay the course, pick up some wing and center depth, draft a defenseman with one of the 2nds and pick the BPA.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 11:42 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
For a bag of pucks maybe... I keed I keed... no infractions please
Do you honestly think you could get a bag of pucks for me? After ruining our draft pick, I have negative trade value. I'm like Jeremy Roenick. Any deal involving me would be to remove the bad taste out of the Predators mouth. Think something along these lines:

To BOS: Martin Erat, Rick Kimsey
To NAS: Jeff Hoggan

Even then, is it worth it because not only am I responsible Florida's successes, I'm also responsible for every shutout lost in the final minutes of a Preds game and every first round exit. While Erat is a great player to land for BOS, is it worth being mired in several years of funk just for it.

At this point, the only course of action for the Preds is to reassign me to Havana Bombers of the ECHL.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Do you honestly think you could get a bag of pucks for me? After ruining our draft pick, I have negative trade value. I'm like Jeremy Roenick. Any deal involving me would be to remove the bad taste out of the Predators mouth. Think something along these lines:

To BOS: Martin Erat, Rick Kimsey
To NAS: Jeff Hoggan

Even then, is it worth it because not only am I responsible Florida's successes, I'm also responsible for every shutout lost in the final minutes of a Preds game and every first round exit. While Erat is a great player to land for BOS, is it worth being mired in several years of funk just for it.

At this point, the only course of action for the Preds is to reassign me to Havana Bombers of the ECHL.
well played sir

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
FissionFire

The Red Wings board offers bilros and a dozen donuts for SmokeyClause and a napkin.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
The Red Wings board offers bilros and a dozen donuts for SmokeyClause and a napkin.
Not a chance!

04-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
No thanks... bilros is too washed up....

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 11:48 PM
DManPreds11

I think we should take Mikkel Boedker with the 9th pick, then if available Joshua Bailey. I don't think we need to trade up, unless Poile's marbles grow really big and figures to trade away both 1st round picks to LA/TB for the first overall (Steven Stamkos)assuming that LA gets the top spot. I think with the 2 I named would be good enough to stay put. Then again I'd love to see Mr. Stamkos with a Preds jersey on in the near future.

Last edited by DManPreds11: 04-06-2008 at 11:06 AM.
DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Filatov or Wilson at no. 9 would be fine by me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beach drop....I wouldn't be too upset with a Boedker selection at 9 either. If we managed to snag 2 of those 4....I would instantly applaud the draft.

Last edited by Enoch: 04-06-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:11 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Filatov or Wilson at no. 9 would be fine by me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beach drop....
Wouldn't mind Filatov or Wilson but with Wilson don't you think we're heavy at Center? I like it that he's got size but then we'll have a log jam at center, that's why I'd rather have Boedker over Filatov he's already 200. I really hope we don't draft another defenseman.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Wouldn't mind Filatov or Wilson but with Wilson don't you think we're heavy at Center? I like it that he's got size but then we'll have a log jam at center, that's why I'd rather have Boedker over Filatov he's already 200. I really hope we don't draft another defenseman.
I disagree. Who is our third line center? Besides, we are looking at an 18 year old kid. He is probably at least 2 years away. Worrying about positional issues at this point is not that important IMO. Even taking a defenseman is not necessarily bad, as long as he is the BPA. The key is what Poile does with the rest of our system to incorporate the new prospects.

Wilson would be a great pick, and I hope we get an opportunity to draft him. I doubt we will be able to take 2 of the above 4, but walking away with one would not be too bad. A defenseman will likely be the other selection simply because this is a defenseman heavy draft.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:38 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I disagree. Who is our third line center? Besides, we are looking at an 18 year old kid. He is probably at least 2 years away. Worrying about positional issues at this point is not that important IMO. Even taking a defenseman is not necessarily bad, as long as he is the BPA. The key is what Poile does with the rest of our system to incorporate the new prospects.

Wilson would be a great pick, and I hope we get an opportunity to draft him. I doubt we will be able to take 2 of the above 4, but walking away with one would not be too bad. A defenseman will likely be the other selection simply because this is a defenseman heavy draft.
I only disagree with what is highlighted in red, Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, and David Perron all drafted in last years draft played a pretty big role. Now if they think Wilson could be ready to play this season then draft him, I just don't see us with that much depth at wing, especially left wing.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
DManPreds11

I'm sure you've watched just as many game as I did, it just seems like a lot times of our players are never in a shooting position when they recieve the pass. I'm thinking the reason might be because a lot of our players play out of their natural position. I think that is why Trotz put and left Hlavac on the top line because he's a bonafied left winger and Radulov is not, or it was Dumont playing left wing at times and both are right wing players. It's just a thought what do you guys think?

Old
04-06-2008, 11:50 AM
DManPreds11

I would think most RW'ers would shoot left, and LW'ers would shoot right. Then when you make them play LW when they shoot left it would be more difficult to get into a shooting position, I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Old
04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
nine_inch_fang

Ovie is a righty playing the leftwing. It's all about the player

Old
04-06-2008, 01:02 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Ovie is a righty playing the leftwing. It's all about the player
Not sure I understand this post, I did say that LW'ers shoots right. Just in case you mean Ovie as in Ovechkin then you're wrong he's always played left wing.

Old
04-06-2008, 02:08 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Not sure I understand this post, I did say that LW'ers shoots right. Just in case you mean Ovie as in Ovechkin then you're wrong he's always played left wing.
I guess I skipped over some of your disjointed post since it was in three pieces.

The NATURAL position for a winger is to play on the side that they shoot. Lefty on the left/ Righty on the right. This is so that they are on their forehand while passing and receiving the puck.

Old
04-06-2008, 02:13 PM
nine_inch_fang

When you say that a player is in shooting position I believe you are thinking about a player setting up for a one timer such as d-men on the power play. Or Arnott always trying to get to the circle on the left side to take his booming shot.

Old
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
nine_inch_fang

What I was getting at with Ovie is that he is actually on his off wing. If you watch him play, when he shoots off of the rush he has to shoot off of the wrong foot. This is when you see the player standing on the foot closest to his stick and he kicks his other leg into the air to create the weight transfer for power.

But like I said the natural side for the player is up to him. Some are more comfortable offwing.

Old
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm so confused.

All I know is we need a winger that can keep up with Arnott and Dumont.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote