HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs don't plan to resort to youth movement - GM

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2004, 11:31 PM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
It wouldn't have mattered if the Leafs had finished first in the conference. We still would have had to face either Philly or Tampa at some point and both of those teams would still beat an injury decimated line-up. We don't necessarily need more youth, though i'm all for that. We need less injury prone players. Injuries are becoming a habitual playoff ritual every year and must be corrected and with so few players under contract it's a perfect opportunity to do so.

Old
05-09-2004, 12:19 AM
RyanM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He fell apart?

Did you notice how horrible his defense and backcheckers were in game 5? Of the 7 goals, I don't think he was solely responsible for even 2 of them. He saved the game a couple times in game 6 and allowed just 7 goals in the first 4 games... and then his team didn't show up in the 5th game.

If you even watched that game you'd notice how bad they played, as a team they did not deserve the game, and that makes any goaltender look bad.

It shows just how much of a fan you are when you make a ridiculous comment like that... "he fell apart". He did not fall apart, it was the teams infront of him that didn't play well.
Last 2 years by the end of the series Philly scored a bunch of goals. I think he's as much to blame as anyone because early on, those same shots were not going in. I'm not saying he's the blame for the loss, he was awesome all year except for those last couple games vs Philly and it's happened 2 years in a row.

What I am saying is that as soon as Eddie stops being a miracle worker, the team goes downhill very quickly. And personally I don't think he can carry the high level of play over 10 months anymore. And that's what we need. It's not a shot at Belfour in any way.

Old
05-09-2004, 12:39 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM
Last 2 years by the end of the series Philly scored a bunch of goals. I think he's as much to blame as anyone because early on, those same shots were not going in. I'm not saying he's the blame for the loss, he was awesome all year except for those last couple games vs Philly and it's happened 2 years in a row.

What I am saying is that as soon as Eddie stops being a miracle worker, the team goes downhill very quickly. And personally I don't think he can carry the high level of play over 10 months anymore. And that's what we need. It's not a shot at Belfour in any way.
Toronto had a combined 30 shots in the two blowouts.

That doesn't help the goalie when your team isn't doing anything offensively, your defensemen give up the puck numerous times in the defensive zone, and your forwards don't backcheck.

Another fact that negates your argument is that Belfour had a 1.64 GAA prior to the 7-2 debacle. Proving that he was on his game for the previous 11 games, carrying a team that didn't score anymore then 2 goals in 8 of the 11 games.

A couple games do not mean that Ed Belfour is not a Stanley Cup goaltender.

Old
05-09-2004, 12:58 AM
ArtVandelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilcup
It wouldn't have mattered if the Leafs had finished first in the conference. We still would have had to face either Philly or Tampa at some point and both of those teams would still beat an injury decimated line-up. We don't necessarily need more youth, though i'm all for that. We need less injury prone players. Injuries are becoming a habitual playoff ritual every year and must be corrected and with so few players under contract it's a perfect opportunity to do so.
Actually, had the Leafs finished 1st, Philly would have been 4th, and would have played Ottawa. Ottawa would have likely beaten them..but in any case, do you not see how a quick first round series, and likely a quick 2nd round series would have reduced the amount of injuries we incurred?

Old
05-09-2004, 09:55 AM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Actually, had the Leafs finished 1st, Philly would have been 4th, and would have played Ottawa. Ottawa would have likely beaten them..but in any case, do you not see how a quick first round series, and likely a quick 2nd round series would have reduced the amount of injuries we incurred?

When you are old, like me for instance and you play hockey at a high tempo, it isn't going to matter who you play against. If you are susceptible to injuries you are going to incur them and the Leafs have shown that some of their players are very susceptible to injuries when they play hockey this way. I am the same age as some of these guys around 33-36 and let me tell you there's a huge difference between 29 and even 33 years and I'm in real good shape. I'm a big purveyor of having to win series quickly to have any cup chances but this team has a problem with work ethic and killer instinct to win any series in a short period of time, you need only see how they only gave their all in the last two minutes of every period of pretty well every game in the playoffs. If they had high energy left at the end of periods it means they weren't trying hard enough for the rest of the 18 minutes. I had a coach that used to rip us for that exact same reason and I thought he was a very good coach.

Closed Thread